RC Racer

Upgrading Old Rustler 3706 to Brushless

I am relatively new in the R/C scene. I have a completely stock, original Traxxas Rustler Model 3706 with the stinger 20-turn motor. I am looking for much more performance. What is the best and cheapest way to upgrade? If I bought the Velineon system would it shred the components of the car? Would it be easily installable? What would I need to upgrade in order to install a brushless system or even a better motor with lower turns? Or should I simply buy a new car altogether? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by bigalxc08; 02-16-2009 at 09:50 PM.

RC Champion
    It is pretty easy to upgrade from a 3706 to brushless. I have done it from a 3710 which is the same thing. Since you have a 3706 and not a 3710 you have a xl-1 which also means that the transmission has bearings in it. You will need to upgrade to an all metal transmission. You will need to get a Steel idler and a metal ring differential. You will also need RPM 5x11 bearing carriers. Rear and Front. With those you will need 5x11 bearings. Team Blue Star, Avid R/C, and Traxxas all make great bearings that will fit. Just make sure to buy 8, 5x11x4 bearings. You will also need a good 6 cell or lipo battery. SPC makes awesome batteries. With those some decent connectors will also be needed. If you are looking at the VXL then some Traxxas connectors will be good.
    -CB
    If you can't convince them confuse them

RC Racer
    Alright thanks for the input, any idea how much the total would cost? I would probably need to new remote control as well? If I'm looking for 40-50mph should i do LiPo or NiMH, right now i cant afford 11.1V. And all i need is to by a system which includes motor and speed control?

RC Champion
    Including the things metioned above all you would need after that would be an Brushless compatible esc and a brushless motor. Total cost could be quite a bit, but incuding a brusless system i would say $200-$300. The Traxxas Tq radio is o.k, but you could upgrade if you would like or are having problems. I would say start with a Nihm for right now and when you get comfortable with the speed get a Lipo.
    -CB

RC Racer
    So whats the difference b/w a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 7.4V, 5000mAh, 2S1P, 15C for $55 and a Duratrax Nimh 8.4V 7cell Dtx 4200 Stick $54.95

RC Champion
    A liPo pack will give more power longer run times and a higher top end. For a Nihm pack I would go with a SPC pack over the Duratrax one. I don't really know to much about LiPo batteries though.
    -CB

you can still get some impressive speeds with NIMH batts. but you have to watch the temps of the battery because they can get very hot from the VXL pulling so much power from them.

lipos are just insane. i'm running an SPC 7.4v 2S1P 5000mah and get about 30 minutes run time and it'll pull wheelies all the way up to when it hits LVC. and the lipos only get barely warm. hardly enough to notice.

it's pretty much whatever route you wanna go and how much $$$ you wanna drop. my rustler came from the same build you're doing right now and it's impressive.

RC Champion
    My decision was to upgrade my old truck, but .... here are some numbers to look at - -

$165 Velineon system (includes motor, ESC, ESC mounting plate, motor screws) #3350

$3 pinion gear for motor

$6 Steel ring diff #2381X

$3 Steel idler gear #3696

$8 RPM carriers (front) #80372

$8 RPM carriers (rear) #80382

$12 5x11 bearings (need 8)

These are the bare minimum things you need and cost over $200. If you have no sentimental attachment to your truck then a new VXL is probably money better spent.

If you stay with a brushed motor, then the upgrades would be something like:

$55 XL-5 ESC

$40 15t mod motor

$3 13 tooth pinion gear

$3 idler gear (if you still run the plastic one)

$8 RPM carriers (front) #80372

$8 RPM carriers (rear) #80382

$12 5x11 bearings (need 8)

which would be about $76 cheaper initially but the motor will require brushes about every 20 runs and will wear out quicker.

Also, either way, you should consider upgrading with a RPM bumper, aluminum castor blocks, and big bore shock caps. Also don't skimp on your charger or batteries. NiMh are still fine despite the increasing popularity of LiPo.

RC Qualifier
    Going Brushless will cost you about the same as a new VXL (as Belker said). So I would go with a good 17t motor and a 15 or 17 pinion gear along with a 7 cell NiMh battery. I belive your ESC is the XL-1 right? If its still a Mechanical SC then you will need a ESC.
    Not enough space here

RC Champion
    brushless is worth every penny
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Belker
    If you have no sentimental attachment to your truck then a new VXL is probably money better spent.
    I agree. Plus 1

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Starleak
    I agree. Plus 1
    +2 (me and my dad)
    Remember to drive it like you stole it