Thread: keeping cool...

RC Racer

keeping cool...

I'm having problems keeping my motor within temp limits. I'm running a sidewinder 4600 on 3s and I am geared at 16/90. I was at 16/86 but I was hot then too, and when I switched to 16/90 it didnt seem to make a difference. I am driving very lightly almost never over 1/2 throttle. I just really need to get a handle on these temps now before it gets to 100 degrees outside.

should I gear down even more? I've heard of some with the same setup being geared at 23/90, should I gear up?
    5608 - coming soon
    1:1 350z

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do you have a temp guage and if you do what kind of temps are you seeing? The reason is, heat can and might feel real hot to the touch but the mill and ESC could be where they are supposed to be.

Example and question, water boils at 212 degrees, how long can you stand that kind of heat if you were to put your hand in that?...

Although 212 is stupid hot for a mill, i have had some get hotter than that and they were fine "not recommended tho".. keep the mills under 200..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Champion
    My sidewinder 4600 geared 16/86 on 2s can run for 45 min and be at 130. When put the 3s in the otherday it hit 170 in 15 min. Yes i would gear down. I went through this with my MM5700 last summer. With it ihad to gear 14/90 on 2s to be able to run more than 20 minutes and keep temps down.

If you find a good gearing for 3s let us know. i've not played with the gearing yet for 3s on the sidewinder. think i'm gonna try 12-14/90 and see how it works later this week

BTW, i think castle recommends keeping their motors under 170f

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    i run a 5700 on 6 cells and have the gearing set very conservative. i can go a full pack and the motor doesnt get very hot.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Enthusiast
    get new era aluminum trans case, tenergy engine heat sink and fan and you'll be good on engine temps, trust me i have that set up on my backslash that i'm selling in the market place. you can look it there. i use 18 90. also the traxxas vxl engine is better than mamba engines(i use mamba max and vxl engine), with this combination you can run 3s all day.
    Last edited by aceinthesky2002; 02-15-2009 at 10:30 AM.

RC Racer
    I am now geared at 12/90 and I am seeing temps around 150, but thats with the ambient temp being in the 50's. I want o be able to run this thing this summer when its 90+
    5608 - coming soon

RC Enthusiast
    i justshowed you how keep your temps down

RC Racer
    no offense but what you old me was how to make a big heat sink, now how to keep things cool
    5608 - coming soon

RC Qualifier
    Well duh, a heatsink IS something to keep things cool!
    I thought I was wrong but I was wrong

RC Racer
    I realize that but if I buy all that, then I will have spent almost as much on my slash as I will be on the E-REVO brushless edition. and this one was supposed to be my budget basher LOL. if I have too I'll get the tranny case and some cooling fins but I'd rather not

EDIT: ok I just checked out your for sale thread, where did you get the tenergy heatsink with fan?
    Last edited by DanZman; 02-15-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    5608 - coming soon

RC Champion
    I'm not sure what kind of answer you're expecting. There is no magic formula. You have two options.

1) Produce less heat
    2) Dissappate the heat faster

To produce less heat you can:
    - Gear down even more
    - Run less voltage
    - Drive less aggressivly

TO Dissappate the heat faster
    - Aluminum tranny case/heatsink

RC Enthusiast
    ebay 18 bucks case 70 bucks

RC Racer
    yeah is looks like I need to get the alum case. I am geared as low as I think is possible(12/90) and it is still getting hotter than I would like.
    5608 - coming soon

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DanZman
    yeah is looks like I need to get the alum case. I am geared as low as I think is possible(12/90) and it is still getting hotter than I would like.
    Stupid question, but are you sure you're setting the gear mess right? A 12t pinion sounds really low to still have heat issues.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Racer
    yeah im sure its right. I'm not overheating anymore but I will be when the ambient temp gets up into the 90's
    5608 - coming soon

Well a couple of problems to look at. Check your drivetrain for any resistance. Rebuild the transmission, and REMOVE the grease off those gears. The grease that comes with the truck is very thick. Use a thinner grease and lighty coat the gears with it. Any pinion smaller then a 48pitch 17t pinion has a larger angle/pitch between the teeth. So what happens is the teeth aren't sitting correctly to the spur so when it spins at high rpm, it's causing resistances against the motor. Plus it will reduce the life of the pinion and spur. The motor could be geared too high causing the motor to work to easily. Your bearings in the motors aren't spinning freely which will cause alot of heat.
    Now, the most confusing on is that the motor isn't getting the power it needs. The sidewinder only give the only 3/4 of 100% power to the motor where as the MM gives 100% power. Your motor is working harder trying to spin at higher rpms thus trying to pull extra power to do the job that isn't even there. That wouldn't be a gearing issue but more of a governoring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    Well a couple of problems to look at. Check your drivetrain for any resistance. Rebuild the transmission, and REMOVE the grease off those gears. The grease that comes with the truck is very thick. Use a thinner grease and lighty coat the gears with it. Any pinion smaller then a 48pitch 17t pinion has a larger angle/pitch between the teeth. So what happens is the teeth aren't sitting correctly to the spur so when it spins at high rpm, it's causing resistances against the motor. Plus it will reduce the life of the pinion and spur. The motor could be geared too high causing the motor to work to easily. Your bearings in the motors aren't spinning freely which will cause alot of heat.
    Now, the most confusing on is that the motor isn't getting the power it needs. The sidewinder only give the only 3/4 of 100% power to the motor where as the MM gives 100% power. Your motor is working harder trying to spin at higher rpms thus trying to pull extra power to do the job that isn't even there. That wouldn't be a gearing issue but more of a governoring issue.
    Scratch that part on the sinderwinder only giving 3/4 the power...I misunderstood how they actually stated it.

RC Competitor
    how about 23t pinion and stock spur