RC poster

REVO 3.3 Transmitter and Receiver batteries show good(?) but control is lost

Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum and am a complete nitro RC NUBE, and this is my first post. All I know about the REVO is what I've read in the manual and what is contained in the TRAXXAS CD. Here's my situation and I hope someone can help me sort out what I need to do:

I bought my REVO 3.3 quite some time ago, like 4 or 5 years ago? Can't even remember for sure. I had taken it out, broke it in according to the instructions, tuned it, and had run it a couple hours that first day. Then, life crap happened - company I worked for laid off all their contractors, so was without a job for a while and the REVO got shelved. Was only out of work about three months, but the RC hobby took a back seat to everything else that was going on at the time.

Fast forward to a couple days ago - I had a renewed interest in getting my REVO back in working order after sitting all this time. Initially, the receiver battery wouldn't charge but for a few seconds, but I ran it through 4 or five charge cycles and afterwards it seemed to be behaving just fine. I have a Venom temp/voltage monitor on the truck, and the receiver battery was holding charge as far as I could tell.

Took it out today, fired it up and re-tuned it. Again, voltage seemed to be holding up according to the monitor - didn't run the truck any further than 100 feet from me, just up and down the concrete driveway while tuning. The problem is, periodically, out of the blue, I'd lose the green function light on the OptiDrive and had no control over the truck, even when it was no further than 10 feet from me. The last time this happened, the truck rolled right past me at idle, no brakes, and hit the brick border around the flower bed at the end of the driveway. Luckily, there was no visible damage and everything seemed fine. After this loss of control occurs, sometimes I get the green function light back on its own without doing anything, sometimes after I shut off the truck and cycle the receiver power.

I didn't get any other warning indication from the OptiDrive other than the green light simply going off. The lowest I saw the receiver voltage get to was 5.8V. The voltage seemed to recover while the truck was shut down for refueling, jumping back up to 6.2V.

What I don't know is what voltage level puts me in the danger zone for the receiver battery, or if maybe it's because the battery is so old it is dropping out in "steps"? And lastly, is there any "age" consideration to take into account for the OptiDrive and other electronics?

I'm sure there's going to be some eye rolling due to this post, but I sure could use some suggestions from you pros out there regarding what to do to refurbish my old truck and ensure everything back to good safe working order. I'd be very thankful because I had a blast getting the truck running again, and my neighbor has taken an interest as well - he was blown away by the performance, so now I have a buddy to enjoy my REVO with - just gotta get past this weird problem. Thanks in advance!

RC Racer
    I'd get a new reciver battery and try that, and if problems persist, replace the optidrive.
    If Dust Aint' Flyin', You Aint' Tryin'!

RC poster
    Thanks Devon - I knew I shouldn't have trusted that battery after all this time, but I was itching to get the truck running and there's not a hobby shop within 60+ miles of here. We once had five or six in the immediate area, but they've all closed one by one except for Hobby Lobby which is utterly useless unless you want to put beads on a string or some silly thing. Frikken economy... I'll get one ordered off the web somewhere later tonight. Thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotham View Post
    Thanks Devon - I knew I shouldn't have trusted that battery after all this time, but I was itching to get the truck running and there's not a hobby shop within 60+ miles of here. We once had five or six in the immediate area, but they've all closed one by one except for Hobby Lobby which is utterly useless unless you want to put beads on a string or some silly thing. Frikken economy... I'll get one ordered off the web somewhere later tonight. Thanks again!
    Where I live in NH there's a hobby lobby and then right next door is a Hobby Town USA that I get a lot of RC parts from lol.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Competitor
    If you end up needing an optidrive, pm me and i will give you one for free as i have 2 that i no longer use.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    Where I live in NH there's a hobby lobby and then right next door is a Hobby Town USA that I get a lot of RC parts from lol.
    CBD55, we had a Hobby Town USA here too - as a matter of fact, that's where I originally bought my REVO. The folks there were great, threw in a bunch of extra parts for free to get me off to a good start. I miss them...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bzlyteer View Post
    If you end up needing an optidrive, pm me and i will give you one for free as i have 2 that i no longer use.
    Hi bzlteer! Man, this is one of the best forums I've ever been on - you guys respond to questions pretty much right away, everyone seems to be respectful in all the posts I've read thus far, even when discussions get "lively". And now I see your offer of kindness volunteering one of your unused OptiDrives if needed to help me out. It just doesn't get any better than this...

I'm beginning to wonder if it IS something with the OptiDrive at this point. After I did after run maintenance last night, I checked the open circuit voltage of the battery with a multimeter. After about an hour or so of running and after the battery recovered, it still showed 6.47V. So now I'm totally confused. In addition, I tried to get it to fail again like it did while the truck was running, that is see if I could get comms to drop out and see the function light go dark. Even with no further battery charge after the run yesterday, I couldn't get it to fail - set the truck in the living room, turned everything on and walked all over the house with the transmitter for 15 or 20 minutes giving it left, right, throttle on, brake on, rinse and repeat. Nothing failed, even through walls. And for my efforts I got scolded by my wife because afterwards there were two nice round black spots in our light beige carpet where the front wheels were... LOL!

I'll still try replacing the battery first, and if that's not it I'd be happy to take you up on that offer. Will PM you as requested if a new battery doesn't do the trick. Thanks!

RC poster
    Do you still retain steering control when this happens?

I'm actually having a similar problem, only mine happens when my truck is at WOT (but I still retain steering control). It likes to just keep at WOT for a few seconds (which is still dangerous considering how fast these trucks are), with no brake control/way to stop WOT'ing

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Revocity View Post
    Do you still retain steering control when this happens?

I'm actually having a similar problem, only mine happens when my truck is at WOT (but I still retain steering control). It likes to just keep at WOT for a few seconds (which is still dangerous considering how fast these trucks are), with no brake control/way to stop WOT'ing
    Sometimes when it goes south, I have nothing, no steering, throttle, brake, nada, and in that instance the function light on the optidrive is completely off. Other times I have steering and only partial throttle, and I notice when that occurs the function light is flickering. This is still occurring with a brand new, fully charged receiver battery after only a few minutes of running. If I shut the truck down and cycle receiver power off and back on, then everything is good again with a solid green function light for a few minutes run time and then it starts acting up again. Got another optidrive coming so I'll see if that does anything to resolve the problem.

RC Qualifier
    ncotham, How are things going with the Revo. Many of us have this issue. Most just remove the opti-drive from the equation and never look back. Just make sure to come to a complete stop before shifting between forward/reverse. I actually modded a forward gear, almost 2 yrs ago, to replace the thin reverse gear and haven't had any tranny issues since.

RC poster
    Buy a new receiver battery first off. When in doubt toss it out when it comes to batteries (it's cheaper and less frustrating than your buggy slamming into an immoveable object). And from my experience: Opti Drive function LEDs should both operate under a <Good> or <Problem> condition. If the "Receiver" (green when no problem is being reported) is not on at all pick up a new Opti Drive hall sensor that is mounted on the tranny (part 5397 $8 USD) and plug it into your receiver at the "sensor" connector. If either LEDs remain off remove your receiver AND you On/OFF switch and douche both with CRC "QD" Electronics cleaner (cycle the ON/OFF switch in between shots of CRC) then blow both parts outs using approx. 30psi compressed air until dry.

I've had to replace the whole front end of my first Revo because of what ended up being a glitch on/off switch. Even though I am a stickler for cleaning my trucks up to the point everyone thinks I've lost my mind once in a while a switch or poor EZ Start connection farts sideways enough that I'll replace the part in question rather than pitch a fit because I shrugged off the momentary "thing" just to end up crashing my edit in an epic manner. Parts are cheaper than therapy.

**Watch the language: offensive and profane language is not allowed here.**
    Last edited by Double G; 09-27-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Language abuse