RC poster

Revo 3.3 & no Failsafe... WHY!!!!!

This is a bit of a moan why would you spend hundreds on a great truck and then find out later it has NO failsafe, is this not a bit of an stupid error from Traxxas, not trying to offend any Traxxas owners as I own the Revo 3.3 myself but am worried that one day it may just run away and there goes all that money you have spent.
    I've read many forums from one to another and from what I have gathered the failsafe on the Revo only return's it back to neutral or last known position which is absolutely useless as this can still make the truck run away and hit a person, wall etc causing damage to your well loved truck.

Why isn't there a failsafe that works with the optidrive or even why hasn't Traxxas developed one???!!!

I know you can take the optidrive out but I'm just a basher and want to keep the optidrive for telemetry and reverse.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solution?
    Last edited by nazUK; 07-25-2014 at 04:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nazUK View Post
    failsafe on the Revo only return's it back to neutral
    Thats the fail safe it puts your throttle servo to neutral so the truck can't run away.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC poster
    Thats the problem or shall I say thats my worry, putting throttle to neutral isn't exactly a fail safe because after hitting, for example 40 mph, the wheels are still rolling so can still run in to trouble

RC Qualifier
    Thats the problem or shall I say thats my worry, putting throttle to neutral isn't exactly a fail safe because after hitting, for example 40 mph, the wheels are still rolling so can still run in to trouble
    Good point I didn't even think of that... I think the traxxas failsafe is more of a safety to protect your engine from over revving and your truck from crashing too hard.

You still have steering control but if you lose complete connection thats no help.

RC Qualifier

you can adjust the brakes so that they are 30% on when at neutral. This will slow the truck a lot sooner.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC poster
    I did read somewhere about adjusting the brakes, will look into that.

Thanks ManDime

RC Qualifier
    That would get the brakes HOT! Wouldn't you be like burning through pads though?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    That would get the brakes HOT! Wouldn't you be like burning through pads though?

well it really come done to what you prefer to replace, the truck, or the pads. Plus they make aftermarket ceramic pads for the revo that will work good. It just comes to the owners decision. I never found this to be necessary as I barely ran my truck and I made sure the battery was full. I always thought about doing the lipo mod so as to ditch the NIMH battery but never did. I will when I get another revo and also add the Ross unit cause I think remote start is sick.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

Just buy an aftermarket failsafe. When I bought my revo, it came with the am crystal radio, so I quickly upgraded to a spektrum system which has a fail safe built in. Picked up a sport shortly after for my wife, and bought on ofna fail safe. A fail safe is a must in my opinion. Even with doing the brake mod, which would you rather have- excessive wear on your pads and end up replacing them sooner, pads and brake disc glazing over effectively hurting stopping power, or heating up to the point of failure, resulting in a run away truck anyways? Or, spend a few bucks on a failsafe and not worry about those afore mentioned issues? Not to mention that if your doing any kind of racing (even just with friends), do you want your truck slowing down just cause you let off the throttle before entering a turn?

RC poster
    Good points icepick8832 adjusting brakes doesn't seem so good now

RC Enthusiast
    Budapest, Hungary, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
    Yes, this is something I don't understand either. A failsafe should hit the brakes, not just go to neutral. This is clearly a design flaw in my opinion...

As icepick said, just buy a regular failsafe and turn the built-in off. It's an investment of about 12 bucks that can save you hundreds.

RC poster
    I be thinking about that to get rid of opti-drive invest in a better Tx/Rx maybe buy a Spektrum