Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RC Qualifier
    so if i'm getting a pair of 2s 7.4v 5000mah packs, Should i get the 2s novak smart stop or 4s?
    Summit + Mini Revo = RC Bliss

RC Qualifier
    LOL Nino~! Funny stuff...

It's like on a 1:1 board I've frequented for years... There's a thread where people ask "what size tires can I fit on my ZR2?". So, the answer is there, in that thread. About 10 times.

Then along comes someone... and they see the thread title and immediately post the question "what size tires can I fit on my ZR2?".

Ya just gotta laugh.

But usually, someone will be the nice guy and answer the question. Again. :P
    Last edited by Dingman; 04-13-2009 at 09:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingman
    LOL Nino~! Funny stuff...

It's like on a 1:1 board I've frequented for years... There's a thread where people ask "what size tires can I fit on my ZR2?". So, the answer is there, in that thread. About 10 times.

Then along comes someone... and they see the thread title and immediately post the question "what size tires can I fit on my ZR2?".

Ya just gotta laugh.

But usually, someone will be the nice guy and answer the question. Again. :P
    I read the rest of the thread and got the anwser after i posted....
    Must be nice being a smart *** on an internet forum. Hope you feel real big
    Summit + Mini Revo = RC Bliss

RC Qualifier
    No harm done on my end. Mods please prune as necessary.

RC Qualifier
    koko, do you have a pic of your makeshift harness? want to know if what i am going to do will work?

RC Qualifier
    where can i get more wire from, the wire i want is the wire that attaches to the traxxas hogh current connectors, i want to make the kraeger harness. Would a LHC carry wire, i need the red and black wire?

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the delay in pics. Before I post...I have to admit...I am now a LIPO convert. For me, they are everything they were cracked up to be. What can I say the Summit is an entirely different vehicle now.

Pics of my wiring.

Snaking the wiring.

Harness

All unplugged. Use a zip tie and move it out of the way when using NiMH
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Qualifier
    koko, doyou need to have 2 harnesses or can i just make one harness for the bec side? is there an advantage or dis-advantage to doing it the way you did or just one harness for the bec side?
    Thanks for the pics!

RC Qualifier
    I think if you run both batteries off one side you will need to make a loop harness on the other side that goes unused. I think what you're referring to is running in a series vs. parallel.

The reason I did mine the way I did is that it replicates the way Alectric wired his right to the ESC, except I wired mine in a removable harness.

No idea on advantages or disadvatages. This was also a 4s Novak Smartstop.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    I think if you run both batteries off one side you will need to make a loop harness on the other side that goes unused. I think what you're referring to is running in a series vs. parallel.

The reason I did mine the way I did is that it replicates the way Alectric wired his right to the ESC, except I wired mine in a removable harness.

No idea on advantages or disadvatages. This was also a 4s Novak Smartstop.
    I disagree. There are disadvantages to either setup. Refer to my other posts in this thread for an explanation of the differences between the 2S and the 4S LVC and the aspects of using one or the other.

RC Qualifier
    What do you disagree with? I didn't say there weren't any advantages/disadvatages. I just said I didn't know them directly. If I was running a 2s Smartstop You could still make the harness I made for the bec side only and be good to go. You could still remove it to run Nimh.

I prefer to run 4s simply because it's not right or wrong, just because that's what maxamps recoommends and for the Summit. And I bought my lipos from them.

RC Racer
    I've never had problem with the 4s lvc. Never dropped a cell below 3volts.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    What do you disagree with? I didn't say there weren't any advantages/disadvatages. I just said I didn't know them directly. If I was running a 2s Smartstop You could still make the harness I made for the bec side only and be good to go. You could still remove it to run Nimh.

I prefer to run 4s simply because it's not right or wrong, just because that's what maxamps recoommends and for the Summit. And I bought my lipos from them.
    My bad! I mis-read... thought you said "no disadvantages". My apologies.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Alectric
    I've never had problem with the 4s lvc. Never dropped a cell below 3volts.
    Yeah, under normal circumstances, this would work great, and I almost wish I had gone this route.

Unfortunately, I discovered first hand that my 2S setup isn't adequate. I was bashing in the snow, and some snow got into one Lipo. Wouldn't you know it was the non-BEC-LVC side. First symptom of a problem was the truck slowed way down, but no triggering of the LVC.

Took the truck inside, found the wet lipo at about 2.2 volts and the BEC (dry still) lipo at 7.8 vdc. So, in this circumstance, neither the 2S nor the 4S would have saved the battery. The Summit really needs a LVC that can monitor 2 cells individually, as I mentioned in my other post. That would give us 100% LVC coverage.

RC Qualifier
    Well i finally got my lvc installed and programmed and once my lipo's come in i will be ready i got the promatch 5000mah 30c lipo's and the balance board for them so once i run them i will update on the new performance of the promatch lipo's.
    Thanks again koko and everone else for you lvc install help!

RC Racer
    Nice! I'm glad everything worked out for ya. Let us know what u think about dem lipo's.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    here is a pic of my lvc harness the wires are all tucked in the rx box, i also reversed the t-lock sequence so the rear lock first. I also did not have to dremmel the notch that is on the top of the rx box it fit fine without having to do that.

RC poster
    Wow man. Thanks. I got the Novak Smart-Stop 4S to fit as you mentioned.
    I positioned it with the switch down. Tight fit, I did not remove that plastic in the top of the receiver box.

I had problems with the 2 Lipo's I got tho.. I had to drill some holes for the electric leads to fit into (they come in through the top of the battery instead of the ends)
    Duratrax 5400mAh 2S Lipos (109$ each) - I wouldn't recommend these batteries unless your willing to drill holes.. An alternative would be a connector that does a 90 degree turn.

============
    Red Summit 5610 - stock
    Green Hummer Stampede
    8 yr old Bandit
    Duratrax Evader BX

RC Racer

are you using 2 lipos or a single lipo?

I was told it might not be possible. Last night I pulled the motor out, opened the rx box and installed a Novac 4s lvc with little mod.

For anyone who is interested. I have received alot of great info on this forum and would like to contribute the best I can. Here we go, please bear with me.

1. the T-lock control needs to be pulled off the receiver and double side tape also needs to be removed and discarded to make for more room.

2. on the inside of the rx box cover is a small nipple which needs to be ground down to make as much room as possible (I was able to fit it without removing with the dremel, but I recommend removing, it makes for a better fit)

3. fish the lvc power wires (red/black) with out pulling out the rx, which is double sided to the bottom of the box or pull out the rx to make it easier to fish.

4. wire in your LVC and place it on top of the rx first, then the t-lock control on top of the lvc and it should all fit in there like a glove.

5. fold in all wiring and place were room allows, lock down wire harness, put cover back on and you should be ready for dem' lipos.

Hope this helps.

I love the lipos in this thing . I own the 3906 e-maxx and now the summit. The summit is everything the e-maxx is and a ton more. Going form 6 cell nihm's to lipos was like having a whole new summit. I can't wait to get home today do some serious rock climbing oh yeh! The LED's at night are a hit with the nieghbors.

I am interested into upgrading to lipos, you did a good job with this.
    Here are my questions:
    1. Are you using 2 lipos or a single lipo?
    2. If only 1 lipo , did you have to rebalance the summit? Where did you place the single lipo?

RC Racer
    Thanks!
    1. I used 2 X 2 cell lipos (one on each side of the truck). I have a different setup now (CC MMM 2200kv).
    Sig edited for content.

RC Racer

Do you see a big difference in performance?

Thanks!
    1. I used 2 X 2 cell lipos (one on each side of the truck). I have a different setup now (CC MMM 2200kv).

Are you still using the stock tires?

RC Enthusiast
    yes, I second that question.....

And:

How much are a decent set of 2 cell lipos? Or what kind of lipos would you recommend?

How much are decent LVD's?

And the charger my buddy uses for his lipos is about $150 (it balances....etc.. its very safe to use)

So with all the cost factored in, is it worth it? I've had my summit since monday, did some more bashing today, and its enjoyable for sure... just wondered if upgrading to lipos is worth the money.

RC Champion
    I use Integy 2S 5000 mAh 25C lipos. They were around $85 each. If you are ever considering brushless in your future ..... get good batteries!!
    (C / 1000) x mAh = AMPS (25 / 1000) x 5000 = 125 AMPS

You might get away with 15C on the Summit .... but can't use it after upgrades to motor/esc. 20C would be better. 25C or more would be GREAT!

If you have a tank of regular gas and get a dragster you can't use that gas!!!

Your lipos MUST be able to keep up with the demands of your motor or you will have failures!!

Hyperion G3 CX or VX series are great batteries!
    MaxAmps is the only manufacturer making waterproof lipos.

For A Summit or E-Revo... Do not buy hardpack Lipos with top exit wires unless you are willing to do some dremeling to get the wires out. Wires out the end fit great.

It takes a charger that can deliver 5 amps to charge a 5000 mAh lipo at 1C charge rate. To charge both 5000 lipos at the same time you need to parallel the power inputs and parallel the balance tap and you can charge at 10 amps in about the same time as one lipo. YOU NEVER parallel charge NiMH!!! Lipos YES!!! You can also series charge lipos .... but depending on your balancer setup may need a custom balance tap harness.

Is it worth it? YES The Summit hauls on Lipos! I use LVAs (Low Voltage Alarms). About $5 each on EBay and they plug into the balance tap ("-" end must be connected and LEDs should be lit when plugged in correctly). Running your lipos to LVC all the time will shorten their life. Learn to time yourself based on your recharging (like to not put back much more than 85% of pack capacity .... ie 4250 for a 5000 pack). I like a resting voltage after running at 3.6 to 3.7 volts per cell.

Long term storage (months) is at 3.8 to 3.85 volts per cell ....NOT fully charged!!!
    Short term storage (weeks) is at 4.0 volts per cell
    Using them at least once per week .... Fully charged and ready to go!

It is really not that bad! There is a learning curve with lipos .... but well worth the effort. I've been flying lipos for several years.

I am very happy with my Integy packs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasito
    Are you still using the stock tires?
    For me there was a huge difference in performance between the NIMH batteries I was using and the Lipos (night and day) run time was also significant.

I no longer use the stock tires. I now have Proline Big Joes tires and Maximizer bead lock.

Going from stock motor/esc to MMM brushless set-up was also a huge difference and now I can use 2X3s lipos (I use Maxamps)
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    I went from high end 6 cell nimh to Maxamp lipos as well and it really is a night and day difference. I don't regret the move one bit.

RC Enthusiast
    I honestly don't know anything about lipos. Guess I better start researching!

For the stock Titan motor and ESC, what lipo setup would YOU guys recommend? And with your recommendation, how much more runtime would I see?

Right now I am running Duratrax DTXC2175 batteries. They are 6 cell 7.2V 4600MAh NiMH batteries.

RC Champion
    If you want to stay completely waterproof .... maxamps is your only choice. You have the NiMHs to use when it is really wet.
    ********* ********* and *****s are the inexpensive end ... but work well most of the time. My 2 2S 25C 5000 mAh Integys get 25 to 30 minutes of bashing and 45 minutes or more trailing and crawling.

The Summit needs pairs for balance. each cell charged is 4.2 volts x 4 cells is 16.8 volts which is the ESC max.

SPC Racing makes good lipos, Hyperion are top notch. Thunder Power is very good. Thunder Power as well as some others will do warranties and trade ins on damaged packs. Kong Power is another name well known in the RC helis. Nobody pulls more amps from there packs faster than the RC Heli guys!!!

Keep googling and reading the E-Revo threads.

RC poster
    Guys i need some help i just bought two 2c lipos and a smart stop i soldered the red and black wires to the leads coming from the stock novak esc. I have everything connected but when i connect the final connection(ecs input signal 3 pin wire) to the smart stops pc board it starts to smoke from the connection so i pull it apart quick, dont think it fried anything but i don't know what to do????

RC Qualifier
    Forget LVC's, I had nothing but problems with them, and even Novak eventually told me he doesn't recommend them with the Summit.

Just get one cheap Low Voltage Alarm and plug it into the BEC side battery, no extra wiring required. Done.