Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Yes, I'm using the 4S Smart stop. You can use a 2S LVC, but that would have to be wired just like the diagram, on the BEC side.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    2x 2s lipo spc 7.4 8000 mah
    I should have been more specific. Are you using a 4S LVC?
    Sig edited for content.

RC Champion
    i wired like the diagram from the other thread and that why it fried. needs to be one wire to each High Current connector + and - need to go in the correct connector as well.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    Now I'm confused.

I see how you wired it and that's why it friend.

But now what you're saying is you need 4 wires?

Looking at how Alectric wired his Smartstop (LVC), he has one postive and one negative wire.

He connected the positive to one side the esc wires that connect to one battery and then connect the negative to the opposite side side.

So one battery connection has an extra positive going to it and the other battery connection has an extra negative going to it.
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Qualifier
    Good reference threads here.

How to determine BEC Side with an EVX2. Post #11 also describes how should wire for a 4S and I think this is was Alectric did.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=435171

How to build a "Kraegar Harness" so you can remove the BEC if you want to run Nimh and not lipo
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=437193

RC poster
    I keep forgetting to post a reply here... so without further delay:

To Alectric, thanks for posting this information, for whatever reason I hadn't even considered mounting the LVC this way. Thanks to your post, my Summit remains water tight and lipo safe. :-)

RC Racer
    I followed Alectric instructions to a T and had no problems what so ever. I chose to use the 2S option on the BEC side and it works flawlessly. Below are the instructions that came with the Novak Smartstop Lipo Battery Cut Off.

I hope this might answer some questions.
    Last edited by FPVRustlerVXL; 02-25-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Racer
    Nice, glad to have been a help. Like I had said in my original post "I have learned allot on this forum and wanted to give a little back". Thanks again.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    Alectric...couple of followup questions. How did you determine the BEC side of the ESC?

I followed the way the e-revo thread said to do it, but no matter which battery I unplugged the ESC shut off.

As well, where did you mount the light from the Smartstop? Where in the receiver box did you run it out of?

RC Racer
    Well thanks Alectric I got my 4s hooked up . I didn't hook up the LED only because I couldn't get the wires run through the rx boxes like I could the other two.

I still would like to know if the LVC running color is red ?? Or is it green ?
    :Slash 4x4
    :Original Police Summit
    :E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    So what did you do with the LED?

How did you determine the BEC side?

RC Racer
    I kept the LED to hook up at a later time , I'll just watch for the truck to start acting like the Novak instructions say. As far as the bec , I had to tap into each battery because I'm using the 4s and not the 2s so each lead from the LVC hooks up to one lead from each battery. I went by pics from this post and a post I found from maxamps.

RC Racer
    I didn't intall the LED either, too short and didn't feel like extending it. Lvc works fine without it.
    Koko, the red wire from the Lvc goes to the red side of the Bec (which is the side with the sticker wrapped around it) and the black wire from the lvc goes to black wire of the nonBec side. If this doesn't help, check out the photo bucket pic I posted on the first or second page of this thread. Good luck.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    So what did you do with the LED?

How did you determine the BEC side?
    How I did it was similar to what someone else here posted but it worked fine. Plug ONE pack into the connector of your choice. Wait a few seconds(the power caps are pretty big). Turn on esc. If absolutely nothing, non-bec side. If there's a blip of lights and servos, bec side. If you look at the esc straight on with the setup button in front of you, I believe I determined the bec side to contain the black batt lead furthest RIGHT.
    I can't recall the lvc hookup as I used the 4s one and fried my servo lead before I determined the bec side. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. Alectric, your description seems opposite of what you described. Seems you have the black wire on the sticker side?

oldRCMan, maybe I was doing it wrong. I had both packs plugged in and turned on the esc, then unplugged one. It shut off. Plugged it back in turned on the esc, unplugged the others side and turned off. You described doing it opposite. Plug one pack in and try to turn it on. I'll try that at lunch.

Maybe another thing I'm missing...or I haven't looked close enough. THe light on the LVC just unplugs or you did you have to cut the wires?

RC Racer
    LOL so what color is the LED on the LVC while running the car ?? I just wanna make sure mine is working because I didn't hook the blue LED up I would hate to ruin my maxamp batteries already

The light on the LVC just unplugs

RC Racer
    I'm sorry your rite koko. I have it opposite. I'll make the change if I can.

Edit. I can't make the change for some reason. Just follow the photo above and it will work fine.
    Last edited by Alectric; 03-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    Alectric, I think you have it wired right and just reversed your statement above. Just checked during lunch. My esc will turn on (then right off) when a battery is plugged into the esc wires wrapped with the sticker (BEC side). According to the directions the black wire from the LVC should wired to the BEC side just as you have it.

This topic should be stickied IMO.

I'll post up pics when I get mine installed with the Kragar Harness. At least I'm comfortable knowing the BEC side now.

RC Competitor
    oldRCMan, maybe I was doing it wrong. I had both packs plugged in and turned on the esc, then unplugged one. It shut off. Plugged it back in turned on the esc, unplugged the others side and turned off. You described doing it opposite. Plug one pack in and try to turn it on. I'll try that at lunch.

Maybe another thing I'm missing...or I haven't looked close enough. THe light on the LVC just unplugs or you did you have to cut the wires?[/QUOTE]

That's how it worked for me. I guess it doesn't matter HOW you figure it out just as long as you figure it out CORRECTLY. I had to replace my esc rx lead because I didn't do it right from the start. Warrently don't bother me.
    On my Novak lvc the light is on a short lead that plugs into the lvc unit. I lenthened it a good 10 inches(with a plug-in lead) so I can remove the body and then just unplug my extension. Spent an hour in the snow last month. Worked great until I ran into my wood pile.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Worked on it for a few minutes last night. I unplugged the light from the Smartstop and I was trying to fish the pos/neg wire out of the esc tray. I wasn't haven't much luck. I removed the motor, then things got easier. I'll take some pictures to help the next person.

That's about as far as I got. If I have time I'll work on finishing it up tonight.

RC Qualifier
    Overall very easy to do. If you know how to solder (this was my first shot) it would have been even easier.

The steps are below are a blend of Alectric's steps from earlier in this post and the extra steps I had taken to complete this project. I need very detailed instructions since I'm a newbie at this. I'll get some pictures of my harness up hopefully tonight.

How to wire an LVC to a stock Traxxas Summit ESC
    1. the T-lock control needs to be pulled off the receiver and double side tape also needs to be removed and discarded to make for more room. -Alectric

2. On the inside of the rx box cover is a small nipple which needs to be ground down to make as much room as possible (I was able to fit it without removing with the dremel, but I recommend removing, it makes for a better fit) -Alectric

3. Remove the motor from the transmission and set it aside. -Koko

4. Remove the smaller rx cover adjacent to the rx box. This is where the wires run out of from the rx box to all the servo's and the ESC. (I found it much easier to fish the wires out the rx box this way. I also had to pull the rx up which is secured in the rx box with servo tape.) -Koko

5. Determine the BEC side of your ESC. This can be done by taking one battery and plugging into one side of the ESC. Try to turn the truck on. If nothing, it's the NON BEC side. Try it on the other side set side of the ESC and it should turn on, then power right down. This is the BEC side. It most likely and should be the side that has the red sticker around the wires. -Koko

6. Wire in your LVC. Easier said then done for people have experience soldering. I wanted the ability to to still run my Nimh batteries so I built a modified "Kraegar Harness" so you can remove the BEC if you want to run Nimh. What I did was buy a pair or Traxxas female plugs, a pair of Traxxas male plugs. I also used 2 pieces of black wire, and 2 pieces red wire about an inch and a half long. I'll post pics when I get home from work. Basically I made two battery extension wire. With this extension I wired in the LVC - Black wire(negative side) to the BEC side and te red wire (positive wire) to the non-bec side just like the picture below. -Koko

Picture by -Alectric

7. Remove the Channel 2 plug from the RX and plug it into the LVC. Then plug the LVC into Channel 2 on the RX. At this time I also removed the light from the LVC which is easily done because it too plugs into the LVC. -Koko

8. Next before I put it all back into place, I programmed the LVC. Very easy to do. Plug in the batteries and hold down the program button on the LVC. While holding the button turn on the ESC. The light will flash then turn solid red. Squeeze trigger to full throttle until the LED stops flashing green and becomes solid green. Allow the trigger to return to neutral. The green LED will flash and then become red one more time noting it is programmed. -Koko

9. Ensure everything works correctly. Test throttle forward and reverse (remember your motor is not connected to the tranny at this time). -Koko

10. Next place the LVC on top of the rx first, then the t-lock control on top of the lvc and it should all fit in there like a glove. -Alectric

11. Reinstall the the small cover adjactent to the RX box. This is the cover that allows the RX box to be waterproof. Reinstall the motor next. Make sure to double check your gear mesh. -Koko

12. Lastly, fold in all wiring and place were room allows within the RX box, lock down wire harness, put cover back on and you should be ready for dem' lipos. -Alectric
    Last edited by Koko; 04-02-2009 at 07:22 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks Koko! I like the fact that u expanded on my discription of the install.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    No problem. I like the fact you answered my endless questions!

RC Racer
    anytime brother! How's the Lvc working for ya?

I forget what color the led on the lvc is. Havnt opened up the rx box in a while, all my time has been spent with the BEER.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    I just got it hooked up last night. I need to charge my lipos and get outside. Hopefully today I can see if Lipo's are all they are cracked up to be. LOL

I'm only getting about 15min of runtime with SPC 6-cell matched packs. I'll be curious to see what I get with the Maxamps 6500 lipos.

RC Racer
    my MA 6500's give me around 50 minutes of run time. You're gonna love the power from the lipos. It's night and day.
    Sig edited for content.

RC Qualifier
    to solder the lvc on do you have to do anything with the esc, what i mean can you splice into the wires or do you have to open the esc up and solder at a terminal or something like that? In the instructions is states it can be connected to a battery or battery connectors, does that mean you can connect it directly to the traxxas connector?
    Last edited by egoneski; 04-03-2009 at 04:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I've completed my LVC install (2s version). Installed in the box, wiring cleaned up. I did take a couple of pics that I hadn't seen here yet, if people are interested, here they are.

The silly thing is, I put the dingin' thing all back together and then realized I forgot to program the LVC. Smack!

LVC Install 01
    LVC Install 02
    LVC Install 03
    LVC Install 04

RC Qualifier
    i prefer the 2s because the bec side batteries won't go below the recomended lvc per cell, the 4s reads all 4 cell voltages and cuts u off when the combined voltage equals said number, the 2s reads the bec side battery and cuts it off at said voltage, problem is on 4s the non bec side will get cut off at an ok voltage, but the bec side will get cut off at a too low voltage, the non bec side powers motor only, the bec side powers motor, leds, servos, and reciever, so inless the 4s cuts off at much higher per cell than is recommended its bad for ur bec side batteries. and why the heck remove the motor? remove the reciever box from the chassis, then u can access the lid that seals where the wires come out of the reciever box. note: the 2s install u go red to red and black to black on the bec side.

RC Qualifier
    do you have to remove the motor to help with room or spacing or can it be left on? Also where do you have to solder the lvc onto, are there solder points on the esc or do you have to splice into the wires themselves? Also is it easy to make a Kraegar Harness, is there a pic or part list cause i would like to run nimh while my lipo's are charging?
    Sorry for so many questions but i am a good mechanic, but when it comes to wires and electric stuff i am two left hands, but with instructions i can do very well with.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by egoneski
    do you have to remove the motor to help with room or spacing or can it be left on? Also where do you have to solder the lvc onto, are there solder points on the esc or do you have to splice into the wires themselves? Also is it easy to make a Kraegar Harness, is there a pic or part list cause i would like to run nimh while my lipo's are charging?
    Sorry for so many questions but i am a good mechanic, but when it comes to wires and electric stuff i am two left hands, but with instructions i can do very well with.
    motor can be left on, if u remove the reciever box, in my opinion its eazier to remove the reciever box than the motor. a 2s lvc will go red to red black to black on the bec side of the evx 2 male plugs, just use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the metal connector tabs, tin ur lvc wires and iron them to the tabs, and push the tabs back into the male conector, red to the plus, black to the minus. idk about the kraegar harness though, might work differnet if u use that.

RC Qualifier
    OK im new to all this Lipo and LVC but is this the right one to use?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPGM8&P=ML
    I would be using these Lipos..
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=8578
    Thanks for your help.
    ~Gage~
    E-Revo E-Maxx Stampede Slash Amsoil=)

RC Qualifier
    Yes, that's the one you want. I personally agree with using the 2S and monitoring the BEC battery.

The best setup would be to install two 2S lvcs, one attached to each battery and the speed circuit run thru both LVC's (tho I'm sure the designer of the LVC didn't intend for two of them in series, I couldn't say it would work without trying it, but it should work).

That way, if for some bizarre reason, the non-BEC battery were to start failing, it wouldn't be toasted (LOL, I bring this up because yesterday because I toasted the non-BEC battery, right after I installed a 2s LVC on the BEC battery).

RC Qualifier
    That one will work. I went with the Novak 4s one that MaxAmps reccomends for the truck though.

RC Qualifier
    well the best way to do this is the 2s lvc, but u must allways hook up fully charged lipos. say if u did a half run and took ur lipos out and then later put them back in ur bec battery might now be on the non bec side, so now ur non bec side is lower than ur bec side, will the bec side still drain fast enough to catch up and pass the non bec side? so the 2s lvc is safer assuming u use fully charged lipos only

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasher
    well the best way to do this is the 2s lvc, but u must allways hook up fully charged lipos. say if u did a half run and took ur lipos out and then later put them back in ur bec battery might now be on the non bec side, so now ur non bec side is lower than ur bec side, will the bec side still drain fast enough to catch up and pass the non bec side? so the 2s lvc is safer assuming u use fully charged lipos only
    I agree, both the 2s and the 4s each have drawbacks.
    A person could add an extra set of leads and a Minimum-selecting relay (on a chip of course, so it would be small) to the LVC. Then the lowest of the two batteries would trip the cutoff, no matter which battery it is.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingman
    I agree, both the 2s and the 4s each have drawbacks.
    A person could add an extra set of leads and a Minimum-selecting relay (on a chip of course, so it would be small) to the LVC. Then the lowest of the two batteries would trip the cutoff, no matter which battery it is.

Reading this I agree about both 2s and 4s drawbacks.

RC Qualifier
    i have a question, instead of a kreager harness whatever that is, could you just get an additional male and female traxxas connector and solder the lvc to the male or female connector like you would do normally and when you want to run nimh's just unplug it and snug it somewhere?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by egoneski
    i have a question, instead of a kreager harness whatever that is, could you just get an additional male and female traxxas connector and solder the lvc to the male or female connector like you would do normally and when you want to run nimh's just unplug it and snug it somewhere?
    That's exactly what I did. I need to get off my bum and take a picture tonight.

RC Qualifier
    that would be great to actually see one done the way you have done it. I got everything except my lipo's now waiting till promatch gets their 5000mah 2s 30c packs in.