Drilling the Stinger?

i've heard this discussed before and wondered if it actually works. does it harm the engine or anything? also what size drill bit do you guys use to do it?

RC Qualifier
    I did it to my jato and i noticed a little difference.........I believe you use a 13\64 bit.......make sure you take it off the truck and blow all the shavings out of the stinger before putting it back on.
    you can't out run the General Lee!!!!

RC Qualifier
    wut do u mean by drilling
    pm me with what BRUSHED motor for rusty

you drill out the little metal pipe on the exhaust outlet "where the rubber hose exits the rear" it's called a stinger. you can drill it out to a larger diameter to let more exhaust out.

oh of course. you wouldn't want any of the shavings in the motor.

i mean honestly is it really worth the trouble tho?

RC Racer
    i did it and you can notice a little bit more power just don't hit the cone
    Man if i could fly..........

RC Champion
    the newer revo and slayer already come drilled with that size. all resonators do. only the blue pipes dont
    Jato roller and lots of extra trx parts for sale.

RC Qualifier
    I drilled mine out aswell and I think I noticed a little more punch it is not that hard so I would do it. I did a revo with a blue pipe and tryed to do my T Max but the plastic pipe was already that size.

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

yeah i'll have to see what size it is. i was just out in the garage messin around with stuff and it slipped my mind to check it lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I did on my t-maxx and to be honest my engine never ran too good after that. If it comes that size it's for a reason.

well i drilled it to 13/64 it didn't take too much material out but it's still bigger than it was. i can tell a difference tho. lot more bottom end.

i also changed to a 14 tooth driver and this thing is a wheelie machine. you barely hit a bump and up in the air she goes.

RC Qualifier
    CarGuy7a

Do you race your slayer? I found that the 14 tooth C B helped a ton on the an indoor track. Do you notice a huge loss of top end bashing??

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

na i just bash through the grass. it's a little bit slower on top end but it gets there quicker. with the space i have to run it it's perfect.

i also noticed that it revs a little high b4 shifting to second so i may need to adjust the shift point a little sooner.

oh also i have 1/8th buggy wheels which are a little bit taller than the stock ones so that gears it down just a tad.

but other than that it's a huge improvement over the 15T CB.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    well i drilled it to 13/64 it didn't take too much material out but it's still bigger than it was. i can tell a difference tho. lot more bottom end.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    i also changed to a 14 tooth driver and this thing is a wheelie machine. you barely hit a bump and up in the air she goes.

Are you sure you just didnt think there was a difference because you also changed the C/B to a 14T?

Also, Anyone know the actual size to drill the stinger without getting too close for comfort and, is there realy an advantage if one is already using a single chamber res?
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

actually when i used the 13/64 drill it didn't take much material out. there's still probably about a good 1/16 thickness left of the stinger material.

hey i found it this explains exactly how to do and has pictures. even tho it's a revo it applies to the slayer also. http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42178
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-09-2009 at 01:17 PM.