RC Enthusiast

Electric Vs. Nitro

Here is a question that I am sure will return many biased responses. I currently have a EMaxx that I probably have $1500-2000 in crowned by the MMM combo on 6s. I have always wanted a nitro truck (Revo 3.3?), but have been hearing a lot of people saying that a brushless setup like I have now is way better and more fun than the Nitro's. I like the way the nitro's sound and am an engine tuner by trade (snowmobiles), but don't feel like spending the money if the BL's are that much better, on something that will sit on the shelf in favor of my EMaxx. The three options I see are: 1 stick with what I have and quit spending so much freaking money on these things, 2 buy the Nitro and try it out, or 3, and this is the wild card. Buy a 1/5 like the Baja 5T. Allright, let the opinions fly.
    Side question, does anyone have a Baja and if so, is it worth the money? I.E. is it fun to drive, and does it perform well?

RC Racer
    Run away from those nitro's lol, i personally hate em, i have a summit on order and a emaxx for my daughter, love em, have some maxamp's 8000 mah packs, run for long time. You already have a great eletric that will SMOKE ANY NITRO, and instead of the nitro headache's, buy the hpi 5t, i have the 5b and love it. LONG run times, and run's awesome to boot. Win, win.

Check out this vid, don't let anyone fool ya, they jump good, run good, just plain awesome.

http://www.vimeo.com/3076312

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I liked nitro too... until i got an e-maxx... now i converted my t-maxx into an e-maxx... Nitro is fun if you get a good tuned engine and don't have to mess with it... but BL is just faster, quieter, and just better in my opinion...

Nitro you need to take into account, tuning, cleaning, engine maintenance, fuel costs, engine replacement costs..

If you really want a "gas" RC then go for the HPI baja as it uses unleaded fuel and is not a pain to tune..

RC Racer
    Me to bandit kaine, i had lot's of nitro over the years, were alot of fun, eletric has reallly come into it's own these last few years with the intro of lipo's, i would not even consider a nitro anymore as the electrics are pretty awesome now, and yes the gasser cars and trucks are even better.

Here is a shot of mine.

RC Racer
    I dig those lights on top of the baja!! where did you get those??? They look super bright!

RC Racer
    Craftwerks make them and sells them throu ddm and tgn. Ya they are bright.

RC Competitor
    ok i have been running nitros for along time. and not the cheap ones. jammins mugen 8ights xrays and so on.i have had every style of motor from trx3.3 to nova rossi. i just started on electric this year.ill never go back to nitro again.i have converted all of my pro bugs and truggs to electric.it is so much easier to plug it into a laptop program and go.

nitro perks:
    cheap power(somewhat)
    noise
    lots of options with no conversions
    pour fuel and go no recharging time.

nitro cons
    messy
    noisy
    tuning all the time
    fuel costs. 55.00 for 30% gallon
    all the extra equipment to lug around
    glow plugs
    the list goes on

there is more to each list but i dont what to drag it on
    E Revo 2200MMM,8ighte 2650mm,Jammin X2 crt 2200MMM

RC Enthusiast
    Right on, I appreciate the input. I had a feeling that this would be the general consensus, with a few pro nitro comments scattered in. Looks like I'll stick with what I got and save for the Baja 5T

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is that a PB light kit?
    complete n00blet

RC Qualifier
    Main reason why people are getting away from Nitro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCTw...eature=related
    3906 8XL
    3905 Neu 74.1mph
    XTM MMT -80.4mph

RC Champion
    that didnt prove much because i couldnt tell which was the emaxx
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

This might change a few minds no stock engine here. Its a wicked fast Novarossi 528 xrp in a savage, imagine what it do in a lighter maxx truck.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...12325975034856

RC Champion
    thats cool. i wonder what a 3 speed would do in a BL emaxx. it could probally do 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris York
    thats cool. i wonder what a 3 speed would do in a BL emaxx. it could probally do 80.
    It would probably over heat. Brushless only need a single speed because of the linear torque curve and rpm they turn. If you want to go faster just run more voltage or gear up without overheating and keep the rpms 40k- 50k if you want it too last.

RC Champion
    it was just a fantacy. i will never really do that.

RC Qualifier
    kestrel, you're in an emaxx thread. what did you expect.? go to the revo forum and you'll get a completely different answer. i've got a revo 3.3 and emaxx. have to say the revo is alot more durable, and less finicky. one good tune and you'll only need minor tweaks to suit the weather. 55 bucks for 33 is a bit high. i know i was able to get a gallon of 20 for about 20 bucks. gas n go my friend, gotta love it. temps are alot less finicky too. i just caught my stock emaxx titans on fire even though i wasnt doing much, they had a well taken care of life, time for banebots brushes wear, so do batts. melting batts/motors is a constant and if you need to take the temps down on electric you gotta swap pinions and/or spurs. temps on nitro is a simple turn of a screw. i would go with nitro over electric any day. i love working on cars, big or small. the only thing electrics have are a slight advantage of speed. sure, you go have fun w/ an 80mph erevo or maxx, when u crash and can't run or melt your packs, i'll pass you going 45-50 in my revo. i'll prolly get flagged for saying this but i was also looking at the HPI 5T. if i had money i'd grab one. long, long run times and clocking in at 43.22mph stock. i'm sorry this is so long, but it has alot of info. i'm also going to say, you hold the money in your hand and you know what you like. this is just my opinion. whatever you get, have fun man.
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris York
    that didnt prove much because i couldnt tell which was the emaxx
    The one passing the nitros and going way out in front.
    3906 8XL
    3905 Neu 74.1mph
    XTM MMT -80.4mph

RC Racer
    Dang!!!!!! Those lights and mounts are expensive!

RC Competitor
    hey justchillin
    i am not dogging on nitro's but just a year ago i was sasying who wants to charge a battery pack watch this electric guys (as i pour my fuel in and hit my starter box)no recharge.but when one of those electrics came out with a truggy and whipped my 8ight with nova engine in it. i was like dang that thing is fast. on top of that he made a truggy do wheelies. youll never beat the instant torque of electric.
    last year biggest nitro fan ever turned electric(me)

RC Competitor
    i also forgot to add
    nitro truggy track list
    bump box
    glow plug ignitor
    couple plugs
    fuel
    screwdriver
    temp gun
    bottle
    starting
    nitro fumes(i like them most dont)
    glow plug wrench

electric truggy list
    truck
    batteries

alot less stuff to bring to the line

RC Qualifier
    thats cool pickupman. like i said, i was just throwing my opinion out. to each his own. electric does have an instant "on" power, but a good tune should allow to put down the torque too, not as fast but in a decent time span(we're talking almost milliseconds here). i'll still be a nitro/gas fan when everyone else has switched to electric, theres just something cool about the smell, sound, and look on peoples faces when you blow by a car with an engine 50 times bigger than my revo's.
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Competitor
    no doubt man.i loved it to. i wish my electric made noise at least. i will always admit that gas is more entertaining and alot of fun. nothing gets more of a crowd than a nitro.other than my erevo does backflips thats pretty cool.

I really think that both nitro and electric have their place. I have both - a Revo for nitro, and on the electric side, 2 Slashes, an E-Maxx, a Bandit, 2 Losi Mini-Ts, a Losi Micro-t, and finally a second Revo that I am in the process of doing an electric conversion on.

Yea, I prefer elecric for the simple fact that if you don't break anything, there really isn't much maintenance needed. Nitro is great for the quick gas-n-go ability (as long as the Rx battery is charged.)

The gasoline weed-eater powered engines have allot of advantages. Cheap (when compared to nitro) fuel, and lower maintenance like an electric. Not as fast as either nitro or a good brushless setup, though. I was very close to getting the Traxxas 1/5 gas buggy, but they discontinued it. I've heard rumors about a more up to date replacement, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Cainam; 02-08-2009 at 03:52 PM.

RC poster
    The only bonus of nitro besides that awesome sound is the gas up and go ability. I only have a few lipos that i rotate and 2 electric cars. The biggest problems with the nitro engines and the electric motors is heat. Even if you have a cooling fan you will have to stop at some point.

RC Champion
    did you notice the date of the previous posts.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    I was a nitro nut when i started. Swapped to electric. Now that i've seen the speed, and bought a few new differentials for each. Im kinda wishing i had my old nato 3.3. Plus i had a rustler with a picco. 26 maxx motor that smoked my nato. I do miss nitro.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    This thread was buried for almost 4 years!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    This thread was buried for almost 4 years!!

LOL
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Competitor
    personally i like nirtos better than electric with the traxxas nitros the speed on the box is the speed you get to get the top speed of "60" on the stampede you have to change the pinions i have both a stampede and tmaxx 2.5r and i love the smell and sound im the type of person that likes to play with an engine and really there isnt much maintnence needed to get your engine to last a while i ran my pede in the snow last year a couple times and fryed a motor run my tmaxx and the worse i can do is damage a cheap 15-20$ servo just my opinion i went from electric to nitro and dont plan on going back
    T-Maxx 2.5r
    Stampede xl5

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    I was a nitro nut when i started. Swapped to electric. Now that i've seen the speed, and bought a few new differentials for each. Im kinda wishing i had my old nato 3.3. Plus i had a rustler with a picco. 26 maxx motor that smoked my nato. I do miss nitro.
    my stupid phone kept texting nato. jato is the word. i need to stay off my cell at work lol.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.