Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    as far as weight of the fluid or it leaking you mean?
    More along the lines of what should I expect once I start taking it apart? I've got a Slash and an RC18 that I have modded significantly, but I've never dealt with differential oil in something like this before. I looked over the part diagrams a while, but I don't have a better game plan than start taking apart the rear chassis until the diff falls out. It will probably make more sense once I get it apart.

RC Racer
    The manual says they are running 100K silicone fluid

RC Champion
    in the diffs correct?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dawg
    After abour 40 minutes run time, the same thing happened to me. If you have any hints for getting at the rear differential, they would be appreciated. Is there diff fluid I should be looking out for?
    The bottom skid plate has to come off and the rear skid. To do this the front skid plate also has to be removed. To begin the rear diff removal it is best to remove the rear body post. Directly in front of the body post is a bolt holding the socket for the rear LED's. Remove that. Three screws helping to hold the diff are now visible. Remove them. Now you can remove the two screws directly in the back to remove the triangular aluminum piece holding the Rear diff carrier. Now you can remove the six pins holding the control arms. Remove the two screws holding the shocks to the main body. Remove the the two screws holding the cantilevers. Remove the three pins holding the drivelines in place.

That's what I did to take it apart. Probably wrong but it worked.

In retrospect try to remove as much stuff off the top as possible and remove the drivelines. I think the diff is supposed to slide out the top. I just removed the entire rearend assembly on mine. The diff is held together by six bolts. The internals are held together by four bolts and there is a rubber gasket between the two. The diff fluid is very thick so there isn't a need to worry about fluid going everywhere immediately. Once you take out the broken piece put the diff back together to trap any fluid that may try to flow. Try not to handle it as much as possible so you won't have to replace much diff fluid.

When I do a take apart like this I try to place the screws fingertight back in the hole it came out of.
    Take your time and DON'T FORCE things.
    Good Luck.
    It really isn' that bad. Just a little time consuming.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, thanks for your help!

Now lets see what Traxxas Support has to say in my case... They have been good to everyone else, so I'll keep my hopes up.

RC Competitor

Addition to dkur's disassembly

One thing to watch for is the gaskets (Yes, two gaskets) on part #5678. I only had one (Or had two and one vanished as soon as I took apart the differential). The gaskets can be found in E-revo parts, and as soon as I get a good look at my LHS I'll let you know which E-Revo part to order.

The other P.I.T.A. is that 3x12mm pin. That's a Summit specific part and if you lose it you'll be SOL until Traxxas sends you a replacement.

RC Enthusiast
    How was the turn around time for their support department? I emailed them last night and left them a voicemail at their support desk 2 hours ago and haven't heard anything yet.
    Monstered Slash/Mamba Max - Stock Summit

RC Champion
    is the pin tiny or what?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC poster
    I decided to not worry about breaking this part and see how fast I could go with the diffs locked in high gear. I ran around for about 20 minutes with the diffs locked at full LIPO speed jumping and turning (the best it can when locked). I didn't have any problems.

I have locked the diffs numerous times while moving about half speed and while accelerating and stopping without problems. (haven't dared try it at full speed but probably will eventually).

I know that I am not following the owners manual but I didn't buy the truck to drive it like the instructions tell you too. LOL. So far I think it is a really well build truck and no problems with the lockers. I agree that a few people probably just got faulty parts. I will let you know when I break it.

RC Enthusiast
    That's awesome. I think they got a bad batch from a supplier and didn't catch them. I'm debating taking the rear diff out and bashing in front wheel drive until I get the replacement parts. It is still an awesome truck...

RC Champion
    good to know guys.
    hey blump what color do you have?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC poster
    i went with the blue because I liked how it matched all the components.

RC Champion
    me as well!!!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    Mine's broke too. Read this thread for more info on how I broke it.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=457937

RC Champion
    do you know what you did?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    diffs unlocked, in low gear, went from full power reverse to full power forward then heard a snap.

RC Competitor
    Seems like between the torque from the motor and the grip of the tires, that part is the weak link.

I would be rather shocked that something like that wouldn't have been discovered during months of testing, so it seems more logical that the part as intended and tested is fine, and what we have here is either a bad batch with a lot of defectives (maybe all), or a supplier who substituted or manufactured an inferior grade of part.

RC Champion
    has to be the case with the above post.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    I forgot to add I was on some high traction carpet.

RC Champion
    on a track or what?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dawg
    How was the turn around time for their support department? I emailed them last night and left them a voicemail at their support desk 2 hours ago and haven't heard anything yet.
    You know I sent an email Friday night just to know I started the ball rolling and then after teaching my first class on Monday I called them during my planning period. It gave me peace of mind to talk to someone directly. Once the part was shipped (Mon night) it took a total of three work days. It was supposed to be delivered on Thurs. and it showed on Wed. afternoon. I can't complain. In my mind that was fast turnaround.

RC Champion
    Just wanted to say for those of you who think the summit is slow, you need to think again! I was expecting it to be really slow but Dougs (dkurs) actually got up and moved when it was in high. Would of been funny to see it racing with the pede's last night, there's always wheatland tho!
    What shall I put here?

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up calling again and was able to talk to someone. I was playing dumb to see what the rep would suggest, and just said that my rear right tire wasn't spinning. He told me to take the rear diff apart and see if anything was broken and then call back. I did and verified that it was part 5678 and called back. The rep was more than happy to send me the part. I also asked for him to throw in some diff oil (100K silicone), and he did without any issues. In summary, if you need to help from tech support and are in a hurry; take it apart first, figure out what you will need to get it back to normal, and then call until you talk to someone personally.

RC Champion
    thats why they have such loyal customers!!!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer

Where is it?

I have been looking over the exploded views for the Summit. I can't find part #5678?? Where is it?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

RC Enthusiast
    Part 5678 is located in the middle of the diagram for the Locking Differential Assembly on this PDF:

http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5610_ShiftServos.pdf

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    on a track or what?
    On the carpet in my LHS of all things.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    a former co-worker of mine from when i worked at hobbytown broke the same exact part. but he told me he had the diffs locked in low gear and was doing wheeleis. that had to put alot of stress on that part. as for me my summit broke its second part. an arm.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Competitor
    Finally got the replacement gear and lost pin. Note: FedEx sucks in the Ground delivery department and is no faster than USPS first class mail to get a part from Plano, Texas to Cortland, NY. And to the dipstick FedEx employee who thought that going rouge and marking the package as "Signature Required" when the sender did not require it: May you die in a fire for making me run from Ithaca to Cortland to Syracuse to Liverpool for nothing.

The new part works fine. Two hours of disassembly, lubing up with 50K silicone oil, and putting it back together and the part works like a charm. No problems while following the manual.

Now I need another part 5678. The front one snapped this morning. And this time I know I was doing what I supposed to because I was afraid of snapping the rear one. Back to a $600 paper weight.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink
    Now I need another part 5678. The front one snapped this morning. And this time I know I was doing what I supposed to because I was afraid of snapping the rear one. Back to a $600 paper weight.

OH NO!!!! Man, that is some tough luck.

I hope someone is already in the process of making the part out of steel as an upgrade. I am thinking of ordering one and having someone CNC the part. I can get the general shape on my lathe but no way to cut the teeth.

I feel for you Icbrink!!

RC Competitor
    The part is anodized steel already. See my other post on what a Materials Science professor was able to tell me about the part.

RC Racer
    The part is anodized steel already. See my other post on what a Materials Science professor was able to tell me about the part.
    So what is the next step? Stainless?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    So what is the next step? Stainless?
    Maybe Titanium or alien metal
    Well what is that groove for any way ?
    It seems like the part is breaking in that groove !!!
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
    Maybe Titanium or alien metal
    Well what is that groove for any way ?
    It seems like the part is breaking in that groove !!!

I am recalling this from memory so forgive me if I don't recall all details.

The outside of the shaft has two flat sides for the diff shaft. This leads to a machined area for the bearing then a slight shoulder for the bearing to rest against. Then half way is a hole for the pin that the locking diff gear rides. Then the gear itself. It seems to be breaking between the hole for the locking diff gear and the bearing.

Icbrink is there where your second gear broke?

RC Champion
    Here's a better picture of that broken rear differential gear:

It looks like you are correct dkur4000
    In the PDF and on that photo there is a difference in diameter with a sharp shoulder
    Then the exact break point is in the difference between the 6mm an the bigger dia. on the shaft
    EDIT: I would like to see a photo of a new shaft
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 02-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    Lcbrink is there where your second gear broke?
    Yup. Same place as my rear diff.

And what a real PITA to take apart the front. I demand a Chilton for this car.

RC Champion
    agreed with the chilton comment!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC poster
    Chalk another one up I broke the same gear. I was driving around in the gravel and went from a stand still to full throttle and broke the gear 5678.

How quick are you guys getting replacements?

RC Champion
    did you do that on purpose or were you trying to test it out?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    Broke mine today before I was half way through my first set of batteries.
    I'm assuming its the part everyone is breaking; haven't opened it up yet.

I was trying to be careful with it, but I guess not careful enough.
    I believe it broke while I was crawling with it.