Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor

Better Picture

Here's a better picture of that broken rear differential gear:

RC Qualifier
    pretty clean break..

Im still mostly surprised it even happened. I ran mine yesterday throught 2 more sets of Lipos, beating the wow out of it. No problems... I even ran it in high gear with the diffs locked at top speed in the street for a short bit before realizing it was locked.

We shall see how the next few sets of batteries go.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    i sent a yelloow xl-5 esc and titan back to traxxas cuz BOTH defective and it took 2 weeks to get back lol... but then again plano,texas to vancouver, canada
    The reason I said that is because Dkur is only a couple hours from me.
    What shall I put here?

RC Champion
    good pic on the broken part.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink

I personally see no air bubble or other manufacturing defect. I do see cheap pot metal.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=442128

Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOHN
    A spool is what crawlers and dedicated off road trucks use in the front and rear diffs. It locks the axles together so they both spin with the same amount of power at all times. The t-lock has too many moving parts that are too small IMO to withstand the size and power of the Summit. The thing about the t-lock that doesn't make sense is that the Summit is not an on-road truck. It is too slow to drive on hard surfaces, so there is no reason to ever unlock the diffs. It doesn't need t-lock, it needs a spool. At minimum a spool in the rear with t-lock in the front.
    Your comments so far have been quite negative. If you dont like it, don't get one. There is certainly no necessity to keep bashing it here based on your opinions.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Champion
    agreed with the above,,bashing a truck you dont even own?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    so if the summit doesnt need a T-lock just a spool cuz its a off road and not on road then the t-maxx should be the same just need a spool. right No wrong. The T-lock is for versatility if the summit had a spool in the rear how big do you think the truning radius whould be. huge. plus with the diffs open it will give you good driving characteristics for grass and pavment. and these driving Q's are exsenuated by 2and gear. Now the T-lock allows another level of performance. giving you the maxiam amount of traction possable. adding to the over all driver satafation. I can see that PAPAJOHN does know what hes is talking about and wants to bash somthing that he doesnt own. Its been my experance that if you dont like somthing or you think your always right even though your not just keep it to yourself. if you think the summit was enginerned wrong well i just gald you dont work for traxxas lol.
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOHN
    I personally see no air bubble or other manufacturing defect. I do see cheap pot metal.
    Thanks for the re-direct in your sig. It took me a bit to figure it out but the bitterness in your posts should have clued me in earlier. I thought we had setteled this on your Overindulge account.

You were banned as

Andrew32
    Tempted
    OverIndulge

Please take your anti Traxxas agenda elsewhere.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Champion
    way to go nitro chicken.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    My break looks almost exactly like that. Pretty much in the same place too. It may not be an air bubble but if you look at the break almost center where the break occurred, have to look at it more closely, you will see what may be a slight impurity. On mine there is a small cavity and beside it what looks like a bit of, for lack of a better term, slag. If the part broke under stress you wouldn't see a shoulder like you can clearly see on the gear portion. If it broke under stress it would be twisted and clean.

So my call on the deal? As stated earlier, a Fluke!!! By sending the broken part in to Traxxas, they can study it and make changes to make the part sturdier/better.

ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!! Don't let this deter you from purchasing a Summit or canceling your order. Look at how many people have them and are running the snot out of them without a problem. We are just letting you know that there could be a potential problem out there so if this happens to you you won't feel like the Lone Ranger.

If it does happen to you, immediately call Traxxas and tell them how it happened so they can keep record of it for future use. Also, please remember to send the broken part back to Traxxas so they can analyze it to make QC better than it is!!!!!!!

No it is not pot metal. It is cast aluminum.

PapaJohn are you really all those other user names?
    I read some of your stuff. Not impressed and I want NOTHING to do with you. Good day!!

RC poster
    I have another problem with my summit. I have been driving it since I got it a week ago. I was waiting for another driver and when I went to take off again.... nothing. My lights started to flicker... the servos started freaking out and it quit responding to my transmitter for the most part. it then started randomly responding. I am thinking it might be the ESC but could it be a problem with the receiver? let me know what you think. I am going to try it with a new set of crystals and a new transmitter just for kicks and giggles. I am running 5000 MA lipos on it without a cutoff until my LHS gets one if for me. I check the battery voltage every few minutes to make sure I don't even get it close to being drained.

Traxxas said they will replace whatever they need to but I still need to narrow it down before I tell then what to ship.

BTW. It has never been wet yet so that can't be the problem. The only major crash I had was when my mom ran the front tire into a concrete block at full speed (absolutely no damage.)
    Last edited by Blump; 02-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blump
    I am running 5000 MA lipos on it without a cutoff until my LHS gets one if for me. I check the battery voltage every few minutes to make sure I don't even get it close to being drained
    Running LiPos w/o a cutoff is a recipe for ruining your batteries. It's not a matter of checking the voltage; it's a matter of the voltage under load. Drop it low enough long enough and that's it.

To be honest the problem you're describing sounds like an electrical system that's "browning out" (IOW it doesn't have enough juice). Got get some nihms or wait for your cutoff and see if the problem continues. All IMO.

RC poster
    Running LiPos w/o a cutoff is a recipe for ruining your batteries. It's not a matter of checking the voltage; it's a matter of the voltage under load. Drop it low enough long enough and that's it.

To be honest the problem you're describing sounds like an electrical system that's "browning out" (IOW it doesn't have enough juice). Got get some nihms or wait for your cutoff and see if the problem continues. All IMO.

I don't even let them drop below 8 volts. I know I am not going to ruin them even under load at that voltage. Trust me the last thing I want to do is ruin $100 batteries. I tried NIHM as well with the same problem.

RC Champion
    peck his eyes out NC!
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushless Moose
    peck his eyes out NC!

LOL thats so funny
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    ICBRINK.. how did you know it was broke,, did the truck not move or?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Competitor
    I knew something was broke because the right rear wheel spun freely regardless of the differential lock. After a call to Traxxas I ripped apart the Summit, the rear differential and the two pieces ended up in my hand. Then I lost the pin.

Traxxas is sending the pin and gear, and I'm buying some E-revo parts to get my hands on the gaskets found in part 5678. Once I figure out which diff fluid is stock I'll pick that up too and put everything back together and hope I don't goof up the assembly of the rear differential so the T-lock doesn't work.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blump
    I have another problem with my summit. I have been driving it since I got it a week ago. I was waiting for another driver and when I went to take off again.... nothing. My lights started to flicker... the servos started freaking out and it quit responding to my transmitter for the most part. it then started randomly responding. I am thinking it might be the ESC but could it be a problem with the receiver? let me know what you think. I am going to try it with a new set of crystals and a new transmitter just for kicks and giggles. I am running 5000 MA lipos on it without a cutoff until my LHS gets one if for me. I check the battery voltage every few minutes to make sure I don't even get it close to being drained.

Traxxas said they will replace whatever they need to but I still need to narrow it down before I tell then what to ship.

BTW. It has never been wet yet so that can't be the problem. The only major crash I had was when my mom ran the front tire into a concrete block at full speed (absolutely no damage.)
    Sounds like their was a conflict in channels. Some one could have turned on a RC on the same channel as you. Other things can cause similar problems, but basically the same thing. AM interference.

Should be OK with a different set of crystals.

OH, one more thing. Go Nitro!!! GET SOME!!
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Champion
    agreed with the above except the nitro comment.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Champion
    phs, nitros just as great as electric
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    yeah when they work that is.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    I meant Nitro Chicken in that post.

(my bad)
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    yeah when they work that is.
    Nitros are not hard to run. There is a learning curve and they can be frustrating for first time owners but they work and work well. Nine times out of ten I don't tune my T-Maxx when I run it.

I can understand if you prefer the "plug n' play" simplicity of electric vehicles but you shouldn't judge all nitros on one bad experience.

I'm not saying nitro is superior or electric is superior. I own both and they're just different critters.

RC Champion
    they are difficult beasts in the winter.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Code
    Nitros are not hard to run. There is a learning curve and they can be frustrating for first time owners but they work and work well. Nine times out of ten I don't tune my T-Maxx when I run it.

I can understand if you prefer the "plug n' play" simplicity of electric vehicles but you shouldn't judge all nitros on one bad experience.

I'm not saying nitro is superior or electric is superior. I own both and they're just different critters.
    i agree on that when i got my frist nitro it took me about a good year to get tuning down.7 years later i tune once and dont touch it for months if weather permits.
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    thats why we have 2 choices when it comes to this hobby.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Competitor
    they are difficult beasts in the winter.
    Nah. I had a great time the other day running my t-maxx in the snow. It was about 20 degrees outside. Grabbed my truck and ran it without touching a needle. It did take a long time to start because I store it out in the garage. But with an EZ start you just hold the button down until the engine finally comes to life. I had to let it warm up for a couple of minutes too.

I don't consider myself a nitro master but as long as you're not going for top performance, just run your truck a little rich and it will run reliably. The only time I have trouble is running too lean and overheating.

RC Champion
    He meant nitro chicken, and please keep the thread on topic, not turning it into another nitro vs. electric debate.
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Champion
    any news on the part yet?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    any news on the part yet?

HOLY SHMOLY!!!!

I just checked the tracking number and its out for delivery!!!!

A full day before it was supposed to be here.

I am NOT complaining one bit about that!!!

Looks like my Summit will be up and running after work today.
    Wish me luck boys!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    You got a tracking number? Darn it. I'm still guessing when both the gear and the pin will show up.

RC Champion
    let us know how it goes.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    HOLY SHMOLY!!!!

A full day before it was supposed to be here.

I am NOT complaining one bit about that!!!

Looks like my Summit will be up and running after work today.
    Wish me luck boys!!!!
    ^^This is a perfect example of why Traxxas has TOP Customer service in the hobby
    What shall I put here?

RC Champion
    you know it partner!!!!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer

Thumbs up

You got a tracking number? Darn it. I'm still guessing when both the gear and the pin will show up.
    Near the end of my conversation with the Traxxas Representative I asked for a tracking number be sent to my email. He verified the email address and Voila! Traxxas sent me an email with the tracking number and FedEx did the next morning.

Fedex gave me the number. The Traxxas email had a hotlink directly for the number.

I'm tellin ya! Traxxas has there poop in a group!!! I'm likin' Traxxas Tech Support!

RC Enthusiast
    After abour 40 minutes run time, the same thing happened to me. If you have any hints for getting at the rear differential, they would be appreciated. Is there diff fluid I should be looking out for?

RC Champion
    as far as weight of the fluid or it leaking you mean?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    i love traxxas support they have always been there for me. The best out there and thats why i will go nowhere else but here. its the best of the best in product and service
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrx794
    i love traxxas support they have always been there for me. The best out there and thats why i will go nowhere else but here. its the best of the best in product and service
    well said! thats really cool how the part is coming already go traxxas!
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!