Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    i broke my summit today...................unlike everyone else though i broke a front bumper support.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Malibu
    so brink are you going to get the truck back together correctly? sorry. had to ask.
    With the exception of losing the pin in part 5678 I got the Summit back together in just under an hour with no extra pieces .
    also if you ask me the part could be designed to fail before the damage could harm the more expensive drivetrain parts
    It might be that. I'm guessing that if it's not operator error (Currently my stand) it's a parts supplier not meeting Traxxas' specs. Re-watching the RCCarAction demo videos they put their cars through a lot more bashing than I did in the snow, and there's nothing obvious in the video or their review they experienced any problems.

htuken: I don't know what you're going to put on the note, but tell new owners that if they need to get to the differential they're going to be taking a lot of the Summit apart and there's going to be a lot of small screws. Also once the get to the differential the fluid is highly viscious and will get over everything if their not careful.

BTW to everyone: If I need to get the 3x12mm pin from part 5678 is there any other Traxxas part that may have that pin?
    Last edited by Nitro Chicken; 02-08-2009 at 09:04 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    i broke my summit today...................unlike everyone else though i broke a front bumper support.

LOL I did too, gorila grip should do the trick, i'll let you know
    Its a SUMMIT its supposed to be MUDDY!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nah. i just used a revo mount from my revo conversion.

RC poster
    Thanks for the additional input, LC.

Unfortunately, our HobbyTown data base does not yet show the TRA5678 piece and all of the 3X12mm pieces that we also have in our data base do not indicate a "pin"

Usually, Traxxas is very good about updating HobbyTown Corporate with new parts information and we normally have it in our data base before the delivery of a new vehicle.

I can not get any info until Monday, but when I do, I will post it here.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by htuken
    Just a short note to thank all of you for posting this information so quickly.

I own the HobbyTown USA in Kennesaw (Atl area) Ga and we got our first four in yesterday. One of each color, pure luck.

I caught this thread a few minutes ago and have already called the store to give the info to my RC crew and they are making a little cheat sheet to paste on each box for the new owners.

Thanks again for the heads up.
    Bill
    I was in your store today(I am in there atleast twice a week spending every dime I have) and your rc crew definately got the message. I told them about the problem and they said they already heard about it. Also are you guys going to drive the blue one you opened up? I wanna see that thing in action!
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Racer
    As a replacement for the pin, use a drill bit shank and grind it to the length you need. Until you can get a direct replacement that will keep you running. I generally keep Stainless Steel Welding rod around for different pins that get lost. the drill steel is probably harder than the original pin anyway like the stainless steel.

In defense of Traxxas and the part #5678 that broke on my Summit within the first five minutes of operation, I had three friends of mine take a look at it. A forklift mechanic, a machinist and a guy who tests and x-rays parts for the oilfield for a living. We all agreed there was a flaw in the casting. On my broken part you can see a small air bubble that was trapped near the center. It fractured and had a shoulder part way through probably caused by the bubble. The stress under normal operation just finished the job of breaking it in two. The guy who tests oilfield parts said if it was a break caused by overtorque it would be a smooth break and there could not be a shoulder because of the torque twist. This break is conical with a shoulder near the center about a 1/3 of the way through and of course a small cavity from the air bubble.

I hope Traxxas warranties the part and quick. I'm kind of feeling like I wasted a boatload of money on a kit of spare parts.

By the way. . . . . My Summit is White!!!
    Last edited by dkur4000; 02-08-2009 at 08:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    We all agreed there was a flaw in the casting.
    I don't know anything about casting.... Does this mean that this part is being made incorrectly or poorly? Or you just got a bad piece out of the batch?

RC Competitor
    I hope Traxxas warranties the part and quick. I'm kind of feeling like I wasted a boatload of money on a kit of spare parts.
    I'm not willing to blame Traxxas for a part vendor mistake/scam (Whichever it is). If it's poor casting, then it's the part manufacturer that needs to step up to the plate and make this right. I highly doubt Traxxas makes all these parts themselves.

Traxxas is sending me a replacement Monday and I should have it by the end of the week. My only hope is that the replacement part does not suffer the same problem the original part.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    I don't know anything about casting.... Does this mean that this part is being made incorrectly or poorly? Or you just got a bad piece out of the batch?
    Could be any of those, depending on the actual manufacturing process. If there are a lot of failures the third reason would not be correct, but without know who's making the part and their process we'll never really know.

Depending on the QA of the parts manufacturer, the specs Traxxas game to them to make the part, and how many failures there are Traxxas could have grounds for a lawsuit too.

RC Racer
    Icbrink I sent you a PM. Please respond.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    A fluke. My part must have been simply one of those that was a poor cast.

Every part that is produced, especially casting, has the potential to be inadequate. This "air bubble" in mine could not have been seen by anyone nor anticipated.

I just got a bad part from a batch/lot not to say that all parts within the batch/lot are of the same quality.

Since the Summit release, based on reading this forum, look at how many people are using their Summit and NOT having problems. Icbrink and I are just the lucky ones to have received a Summit that had a faulty part. Now that it has been voiced and discussed on this forum, Traxxas has a record of it and can track how many of these parts are faulty. If they find a significant amount of this part to be faulty then I would hope they find a solution and make it available to the public and begin building new Summits with the upgraded part. If there isn't a significant amount of problems production will continue as normal still noting the part failures.

Would this deter me from buying another Summit?
    Not on your life! I would imagine there has been a significant amount of testing before they released it. Perhaps that is why they kept pushing the release date back. I don't know the logistics on that.

Those of you that read this wondering whether to purchase a Summit just keep in mind what has transpired since its release but don't let it keep a Summit from your doorstep. When you get yours you might want to talk to your LHS and ask if they could keep a few of the parts that are prone to breaking in stock. Htuken sounds like a shrewd business owner to be up on the forums and talking to his techs to have them up to date and parts on order that seem to have problems. I plan on going to my LHS this week and asking him to do the same so parts can be on hand while warranty is under way.

I don't want to be the bad guy and have people cancel their orders based on my bad experience. I am keeping a positive outlook that traxxas will step up to the plate and take care of it without incident.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my summit has gone through a total of 3 sets of batteries. and the only damage is a busted front bumper support. the truck is TOUGH. just because a few people have had parts break doesnt mean anything. and yesterday i wasnt being very gentle on the truck. kept smashign into my brand new slash on purpose. and for fun when the last packs were about done i smahed head on into my 2 other trucks yesterday. also for fun i ran over a buddies emaxx body. that body was already severly beat up though.
    Last edited by 69Malibu; 02-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.

RC Racer
    my summit has gone through a total of 3 sets of batteries. and the only damage is a busted front bumper support. the truck is TOUGH. just because a few people have had parts break doesnt mean anything. and yesterday i wasnt being very gentle on the truck. kept smashign into my brand new slash on purpose. and for fun when the last packs were about done i smahed head on into my 2 other trucks yesterday. also for fun i ran over a buddies emaxx body. that body was already severly beat up though.
    Case and point!!!
    Go buy your Summit and have fun with it!!!! I wouldn't purposefully run mine head on into something but it is nice knowing that it can take it!

RC Enthusiast
    I think the broken diffs are just random. We will see the real quality of other diffs in some months.

RC Champion
    anybody subscribed to this that has a summit please post broken parts and how it happened. mine will be here this upcoming week, i plan to call traxxas to VERIFY locking the diffs and the correct way it should be done.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Case and point!!!
    Go buy your Summit and have fun with it!!!! I wouldn't purposefully run mine head on into something but it is nice knowing that it can take it!
    it wasnt a very hard hit but i was laughing. also since it crashed into 2 vehicles as opposed to say a brick wall the truck didnt break.

RC Champion
    If the diff inputs do turn out to not be strong enough it shouldn't be to hard to have some CNC'ed, I bet Oomp over in the Nitro Revo forum would be willing to help anyone out that wanted to look into CNC'ed diff inputs. He has made some great parts and I've seen no complaints about them yet.
    What shall I put here?

RC Champion
    there will be some stiffer upgrades for it in a few months.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer

Exclamation You Betcha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    anybody subscribed to this that has a summit please post broken parts and how it happened. mine will be here this upcoming week, i plan to call traxxas to VERIFY locking the diffs and the correct way it should be done.
    Excellent idea. Then everyone can see which parts are vulnerable and possible fixes or discussion on how to fix it.

Please relay the info you find about locking the diffs.

RC Qualifier

Already Started My Summit Folder.......

Started my Summit folder already for this situation.

Printed out the exploded view of the shift assembly and added notes for this particular area.
    Its Your Hobby

RC poster
    31974ty and dkur4000:

Thanks to both of you for the kind words.

I am 69 years old next month and far from the brightest bulb in the chandelier when it comes to RC cars but I do try to keep up with the stuff we sell in our store.

I do actually own one RC vehicle, a Tamiya Ford Lightning that is painted and logoed just like the Lightning I had as a shop truck from 1999-2001.
    We are just in the process of converting it to LiPo specs with all the bells and whistles to use as a show off car in the patio in front of our store.

FWIW, I also failed Radio Controlled Planes and Helicoptors. After I crashed about $1,000 worth of equipment, my employees took away my flying privileges.

To return to the subject at hand, I am very impressed by not only the Forum as a whole but also by your groups attitude towards other members, Traxxas as a supplier and your genuinely helpful attitude.

In the past, my shop vehicles were a Ford Taurus V8, the Lightning, not stock, and a Lincoln Blackwood, also far from stock. I joined a number of enthusiast Forums such as this one dealing with those vehicles and this Forum stands head and shoulders over the 1/1 scale vehicle forums.

Sigh,,,,now I drive a bone stock 1992 Lincoln Town Car I inherited from my Mom.

I will pass on your comments directly to my contact at Traxxas even if they read it here and if I get any hard intel I will pass it on.

I don't want to be blatantly commercial here, but if any of you from out of the area would like to visit our store, you are more than welcome. It is in a 30,000 sq ft movie theater that we converted into a retail store and is kind of different.

Bill

RC Champion
    oh i will trust me,, i am calling traxxas in the AM.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    where are you located at Htuken?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaj2002
    where are you located at Htuken?
    He said he was from Kennesaw, GA in the Atlanta area. Specific address not given.

RC Qualifier
    ohh ok I didn't see that, well if I'm ever in that area I'll stop by

RC Enthusiast
    I work in Kennesaw, I visit the store religiously and they know my trucks very well. I don't know htuKen though. I will have to meet him.

RC Racer

Warranty

I just got off the phone with a Traxxas representative. They are sending the part today via UPS with a return label to return the broken gear. WHOOHOO!!!

It was a no hassle experience. Hopefully the part will be at my doorstep later this week, like say Wed., Thurs. hopefully before Friday!

If it is coming from Plano, TX it won't take long. The part just needs to head practically straight North and a little West. In case you are wondering,(because I didn't know and was curious) Plano is what looks to be in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area directly North of Dallas. I know nothing about Texas. I just proved that in the last sentence.

Anyway I look forward to fixing my Summit and trying it out.

I look at it this way. . . . . . . I got to try out most of the tools that came with my Summit!!!!!
    They work pretty darn slick!! On top of that I now know how it all comes apart so next time (hopefully there won't be a next time knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.)it won't take me 2 hours to get it apart! I don't remember how long it took really. I just remember thinking I was going to have the entire thing apart before getting to the part I needed. I will have to say this: It is put together REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!! If you snap that thing in half you will be able to tear apart an anvil with a rubber mallet!

RC Racer
    What is a spool and how do that work instead of the t-lock

RC Enthusiast
    A spool is what crawlers and dedicated off road trucks use in the front and rear diffs. It locks the axles together so they both spin with the same amount of power at all times. The t-lock has too many moving parts that are too small IMO to withstand the size and power of the Summit. The thing about the t-lock that doesn't make sense is that the Summit is not an on-road truck. It is too slow to drive on hard surfaces, so there is no reason to ever unlock the diffs. It doesn't need t-lock, it needs a spool. At minimum a spool in the rear with t-lock in the front.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=442128

RC Champion
    just talked to phil from tech support: when locking the diffs wether just front or front and rear come to a complete stop. flip the switch then slowly apply power until they are locked. do not hit full power when diffs are locked as this is not designed for speed when they are locked. also regarding part#5678 has been a few cases of a defective part. he said they didn't break that part when it was engaged. so it is down to a few of those being defective send it back and they will replace due to the AIR BUBBLE or whatnot in the part.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Champion
    I just got off the phone with a Traxxas representative. They are sending the part today via UPS with a return label to return the broken gear. WHOOHOO!!!

It was a no hassle experience. Hopefully the part will be at my doorstep later this week, like say Wed., Thurs. hopefully before Friday!

If it is coming from Plano, TX it won't take long. The part just needs to head practically straight North and a little West. In case you are wondering,(because I didn't know and was curious) Plano is what looks to be in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area directly North of Dallas. I know nothing about Texas. I just proved that in the last sentence.

Anyway I look forward to fixing my Summit and trying it out.

I look at it this way. . . . . . . I got to try out most of the tools that came with my Summit!!!!!
    They work pretty darn slick!! On top of that I now know how it all comes apart so next time (hopefully there won't be a next time knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.)it won't take me 2 hours to get it apart! I don't remember how long it took really. I just remember thinking I was going to have the entire thing apart before getting to the part I needed. I will have to say this: It is put together REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!! If you snap that thing in half you will be able to tear apart an anvil with a rubber mallet!
    Shouldn't take but a couple days, I've had a few parts sent from traxxas and they take 3days at the most.
    What shall I put here?

RC Champion
    that is why traxxas is number 1.IMO!!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller13+
    Shouldn't take but a couple days, I've had a few parts sent from traxxas and they take 3days at the most.
    i sent a yelloow xl-5 esc and titan back to traxxas cuz BOTH defective and it took 2 weeks to get back lol... but then again plano,texas to vancouver, canada
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Racer
    I just received the tracking info. I should have it in hand Thursday afternoon.

RC Qualifier
    I just received the tracking info. I should have it in hand Thursday afternoon.
    You'll have your new parts before I even get my summit. HA!
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Champion
    So if it arrives on schedule, what was the time from when you dropped it off at the post office (or shipper) to the time it arrives at your doorstep?
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushless Moose
    So if it arrives on schedule, what was the time from when you dropped it off at the post office (or shipper) to the time it arrives at your doorstep?
    It left Texas today (assuming this afternoon/evening) and will be delivered to my home on Thursday. FedEx usually delivers around mid-morning or early evening.

Hopefully I will have it together before the races Thursday night. I'm not going to race it yet, but will soon. I'm just going to try it out on the track and run over a few unsuspecting stadium trucks, slashes and whatever else gets in my way!!!!

RC Champion
    if you could get that on video,, oh the bragging rights.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Champion
    I can just see the slash coming down the straight, the driver seeing the summit, and turning around, high-tailing it outta there! LOL...
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10