Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor

I Broke My Summit Already

What can I say? When you want a good QA person and want to see how things can be broken you come to me.

Running the Summit in the snow during my lunch hour the right rear wheel would no longer engage. Whether the rear diff is engaged or no no power is delivered to the wheel. The left rear wheel gets power when the rear diff is locked, and I can watch the servo and assembly move when I throw the switch on the controller. I believe I stripped the actual differential gears (5382X), but I won't know for certain until I get home tonight and rip the entire rear assembly apart. I'll update as I go.

So let this be a lesson to you all: Some parts do not survive overenthusiastic stupidity!

(Sorry to bust into your post Icbrink, but I wanted new visitors to this thread to get the scoop on your problem with the Summit (and the fix) without having to go all the way to the end of the thread --Pete)

Thanks for supporting the Summit, guys. Needless to say, we’re very disappointed about the broken-shaft issues, especially after the lengthy torture-testing we put the Summit through before giving it the OK for production. Unfortunately, it appears a small number of Summits came off the line with diff output shafts that are not up to our engineered spec. It is no more than a random, unexpected manufacturing issue. If you have a broken diff output shaft just call 1-888-TRAXXAS (872-9927), and we’ll get you taken care of. We have new shafts on hand to support you. There’s no reason to “drive in fear” of having a breakage issue. We designed the Summit to take the pounding that a truck like that begs to receive. Drive it with confidence and have some fun!!

For those of you replacing diff shafts, there are some shortcuts for removing the differentials from the Summit. At first glance it appears to be a monumental job, however the Revo platform the Summit is based on was originally engineered to be easy to service. Follow this link for a quick tutorial on the fast way to get the diffs out. We also made another troubleshooting article that gives details on how to replace the actual shaft. Find it here.

We believe the solution is at hand so we are going to go ahead and close the thread. If you have questions or concerns, give us a call.

Thanks again for supporting Traxxas.
    Last edited by PeterV; 02-18-2009 at 06:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Were you locking it under throttle? Just curious how you got it to break. I know the manual says to come to stop, engage, then moved forward slowly till it engages. I can see how these parts could strip out if one was over enthusiastic and throttling it around and tried to engage the diff at the same time.

Sorry just thinking out loud. But also wondering so I can avoid breakage on my new r/c
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    Were you locking it under throttle?
    Yes. While I was aware of not engaging the diffs while moving I could not help myself and did so anyways. I'll know for certain once I crack open the unit later today.

Like I said..."overenthusiastic stupidity!"

RC Enthusiast
    Could you show us some pics of the "new" broken diffs, please.

Boone722
    I feel bad for ya,even though you had said it was from being over excited.But who would not be.Hope it all works out for you.If you could post us some pics so more of us do't make the same mistake.

RC Qualifier
    how fast were u driving cuz that will screw it up
    pm me with what BRUSHED motor for rusty

RC Competitor

No pictures yet

But I do know what broke: Part 5678. About 1/2 way between the hole for the pin and the actual gear that goes into the differential the part is sheared clean through.

For those who are interested the only plastic parts are the outer case (5680) and the non-o-ring part of 5681. There's definitely two different grades of metal with 5379X being a higher grade (Or just) steel with all the other internal parts being a lesser grade of steel or different and softer metal. Everything inside is covered with a high viscosity grease.

The bad news is that it will be a week before I'll get a part from Traxxas (Unless someone knows somewhere I could order the part). I'll try to get pics up ASAP.

Oh, and a side note: If you need to get to the differential you will have to disassemble the entire rear end plus the bottom center guard and the rear bolt of the bottom front guard. I'm going to practice putting the rear back together while I'm waiting for the diff gear so I can remember what bolt goes to which hole. *Sigh*

RC Competitor

Not that fast

Quote Originally Posted by brushedmaxx2
    how fast were u driving cuz that will screw it up
    At least I don't think so. I was stuck in snow, so I first went into low gear then started locking the diffs. Once I got out and the Summit got near me I noticed the wheel not turning. That's not to say I didn't run it fast; but the rear drivetrain may have been moving quickly when I threw the switch even though the Summit was stuck.
    Last edited by lcbrink; 02-06-2009 at 05:16 PM.

RC Competitor

Crappy picture

It's the best picture I was able to get out of my Blackberry. Hopefully you can make out the break and the part:

RC Racer
    Mine did the same thing. Taking it apart now.

Mine was stopped when I locked the diffs. I moved ahead about two feet and then I gave it a little throttle to get up a step in which the front was already on top of. That's when I noticed the front end pulling and the rear end doing nothing.
    We'll see if it is the same thing here in a few minutes.

Dang it anyway!!!!

RC Racer
    This is kinda discouraging you guys. I've been waiting to long...It would kill me if I had one run and its broken because of a poorly made part. Then throw in the mix that you cant replace the part that broke right away.
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FPVRustlerVXL
    This is kinda discouraging you guys. I've been waiting to long...It would kill me if I had one run and its broken because of a poorly made part. Then throw in the mix that you cant replace the part that broke right away.
    Sorry to be a downer. I had mine running less than five minutes when this happened. Kind of a pain to take apart too. Oh well. It's a Summit! It's Mine! I don't have to wait ANYMORE. Just for parts. We all have to wait for parts some time. Right?

RC Competitor

Service manual?

Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    Kind of a pain to take apart too.
    No kidding there. This car needs the equivalent of a Chilton or Clymer manual. Took me 90 minutes to figure out how to get to the diff.

You guys are KIDDING?!?!?
    That didn't last long. When it takes longer to take it apart than it takes to break it, that's bad... I was wondering if this was going to be its weak point.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink
    It's the best picture I was able to get out of my Blackberry. Hopefully you can make out the break and the part:

5678 Gear, locking differential output/ differential slider/ 3x12mm
    screwpin .................................................. ..........................................
    Well looks like a weak part in the diff to me...looks like it's made of cheap cast aluminum from the photo.... It should have been a steel or milled aluminum part for all the stress that this part takes... Kind of glad i did not get a summet yet.... Looks to me like traxxas will be upgrading to a stronger metal part ...no truck should break like these two guy's trucks did so fast..... Traxxas should have did more testing on this thing..... I was weary off the whole diff locking unit when i first seen it i said it may break easy....and it looks like i was correct!
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Racer
    Looks like I'll be waiting it out. Or hope that there will be better parts out soon.
    Where'd that tree come from?!?!?!?!?!

RC Enthusiast
    I broke my front bumper tonight while jumping backboards. It might of been weak for poor control on my end. The part is the plastic ring the bumper connects to. Easy fix with gorilla grip
    Its a SUMMIT its supposed to be MUDDY!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    brink where in new york ya live?
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Champion
    Jeeez, you guys busted it already? I have a bad feeling that if within the first week of th truck being released, two people broke the same part under normal (i guess) operating conditions. Hopefully traxxas is readin this and will do something.
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Racer
    I have mine coming next week, i will be awefully disappointed after waiting for what seems like years to get it, and find out it breaks in the first five minutes. I hope not. I won't be happy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what i want to know is when did you lock the diffs? an article i read said to be moving at a slow pace when locking the diffs.

RC Racer
    I also read that 69malibu in the latest rc car action review. Hmm.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that is wher ei read it also. and the manual state sthat when the diffs are locked you shouldnt be going too fast. it also states you should locks the diffs and then give the truck a little throttle until the diffs lock.

RC Racer
    I think i will make sure i do whatever the manual states. I would trust the manufacturer over a mag review on how to run it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    both basically say the same thing though. and that is to go very slow when locking the diffs.

RC Champion
    No the manual says to make sure all 4 wheels come to a complete stop when locking the diffs, then apply a small amount of throttle after flipping the switch until they engage. It shouldn't be moving when you flip the switch.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas
    No the manual says to make sure all 4 wheels come to a complete stop when locking the diffs, then apply a small amount of throttle after flipping the switch until they engage. It shouldn't be moving when you flip the switch.
    This is correct. When you're shifting the transmission you should be moving slowly.

69Malibu: I live in Cortland, work in Ithaca, and spend a lot of time in Syracuse . And yes, the wheels were moving (The Summit itself had dug itself into the just plowed snow) when I locked the differentials.

I have no doubt that I broke the part by not following the manual; there a tremendous amount of torque in these cars relative to their size. And being a relative noob at R/C stuff (My first car is a Slash which I bought this past June) I still have a lot to learn. But I am going to ask Traxxas to include a disassembly manual with their more complicated vehicles; the exploded view is not sufficient when you have to figure out how to tear apart the entire rear end on your own.

Now ask me if I'm going to be able to put it all back together correctly?

RC Racer
    I'm okay with breaking it, means I'm having fun. Destroyed the front end of my E-Maxx on the first run ever(dang tree). So I'm expecting to break a few things, but if your just driving and doing what the man. says then should it break? Does it fall under warranty? Are there parts out yet to fix the things that break?
    Where'd that tree come from?!?!?!?!?!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink
    With the quality of this picture I first thought it was of UFOs!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    so brink are you going to get the truck back together correctly? sorry. had to ask. hey you even told me to. and rob i am not disagreeing with you no what you said. just wanted to explain what i meant. both the magazine and the manual basically say the samme thing. when the diff lock is engaing you should give the truck a little throttle. and also not to really hammer the throttle. in other words the part could be breaking cause some people might be giving the truck full throttle with the diffs locked. also if you ask me the part could be designed to fail before the damage could harm the more expensive drivetrain parts.

RC poster
    Just a short note to thank all of you for posting this information so quickly.

I own the HobbyTown USA in Kennesaw (Atl area) Ga and we got our first four in yesterday. One of each color, pure luck.

I caught this thread a few minutes ago and have already called the store to give the info to my RC crew and they are making a little cheat sheet to paste on each box for the new owners.

Thanks again for the heads up.
    Bill
    Last edited by htuken; 02-07-2009 at 10:00 AM.

RC Racer
    I was at a complete stop when I locked the diffs. I moved ahead slowly (I know the gears don't mesh right away) to allow it to engage. My front tires climbed the obstacle and were on top. I gave it a bit more power and as it started to climb it all of a sudden rolled back (dragged the front tires when this happened) and then I noticed it was only pulling with the front. I stopped there. (The very fact that part #5678 failed is proof that the diff was locked. The talk on here of when to lock it or how to lock is irrelevent to the situation.)

I own four comp crawlers (2.2's and Super Crawlers) and compete as often as I can so I have a good idea of how to approach and climb over an obstacle and most important when to STOP before parts break! My other crawlers go right up and over what I attempted with the Summit. Parts were under normal crawler stress in this incident. The fact that it happened within five minutes of initial startup is very discouraging.

Yes I read and understood the manual and the support guide cover to cover before I ran my Summit.

Maybe it was a weak cast. I don't know. I sent an email to tech support for help and warranty.

This shouldn't happen under normal operating conditions.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 02-07-2009 at 10:11 AM.

RC Racer
    I just canceled my Tower order until this is rectified. What a disopointment.
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Qualifier
    wow I didn't see that coming...... Looks like a beast of a Rig that wouldn't have been that easily broken.The Locking diffs are a new Idea and may take awhile to work out the bugs.
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better

RC Racer
    This is true so I haven't given up on it.

A simple fix would be make the part out of steel. If the upgrade cost $30 it would still be worth it.

I'll shut up now and see what comes of the whole deal.

RC Qualifier
    Nah I wouldnt give up either....Only a matter of time before Robinson Racing other company comes up with a stout fix......Until then call Traxxas get some tips on the use of the Diffs and have as much fun as ya can till someone comes up with a fix.

RC Qualifier
    I want one but they are so expensive, do ya'll think people will get sick of the diffs breaking and start selling them on ebay?

RC Qualifier
    Thats quite possible for people who get tired of breaking .....but the die hard fans will break and fix until a solution is made or just remove the T-Lock and go to a spool.

RC Enthusiast
    I hope Traxxas solve that problem. I want a Summit, too.

RC Racer
    Right now I am thinking of using a spool in the diff. The front can still be locked and unlocked for all its worth. For bashing unlocking the front will help when turning then locking the front for low gear crawling will be useful.

I will say that 775 motor is a runner. WOW!!!! With some Lipos or 7-cell high mah batteries it will definitely twist some drivetrain parts!!!!

I was using 6-cell 3300mah battteries and it had some umph.