Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    For the sole purpose of trying to put an end to this debate, I just took some pics of my Axial AX-10 and my REVO (Maybe not a Summit, but it's the same idea).

Here are the results:

I hope this shows some people how solid axles will be better in a lot of situations.
    Life is just a box of chocolates!

RC Champion
    wow yer revo has no articulation at all....not the same as a summit settup....if that was my summit the front right tire would be on the ground
    @ 80% for years?

RC Enthusiast
    hmmm...summit vs 1/6 scaler action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxIoAn_a-k

not my vid but an interesting one! it seems like if it doesnt matter what type of suspension you got...just if you have enough or lack of traction! if you look at closer to the end the summit rears are hooking up while the lr3 tires are slipping! meyby if you can try to move everything as far forward as possible!

i think the recever can fit in that circle thing holding the bumper on and the speed control can go above the front shocks!!

just a thought!

btw Alum. REVO

you need to put some 120mm rockers on there! that i belive is the 90mm ones! my summit has way more flex then that!

RC poster
    My e-revo is converted for crawling and I really like the way it is set up. I don't have a super to compare it to, but I do have an AX-10 that has been through a season of comps. There are things that make the indy a lot better and things that don't. I personally am impressed with what it can do. With the novak 55, 12/68, spools f/r, 6.75" losi claws from an LST, and some other mods, it is very stable. The chassis is pretty smooth underneath so hangups are not too common. I don't think axle clearance is ever worse than a solid axle. If the diff gets hung up, the tires droop down. On a solid axle, if the diff gets hung up, the tires just stay in the air. I think comparing it to a super class crawler that has the same wheelbase and trackwidth, and no rear steer or dig, would be pretty close, but I think the indy would do better. I hate the way the driveshafts on my ax-10 give it torque flex, and lift tires when it shouldn't. The indy exhibits no torque flex at all. When the solid axles get twisted up, you steer up or down, but with the indy you still get to turn left or right. The steering issue depends on terrain. Both have advantages in different situations.
    I want to try narrowing my e-revo crawler's trackwidth to help with turning radius, handling, etc. In the video with the LR3 and the Summit, the trackwidth problem is evident. Being soo wide, if one side loses traction on a climb, and the other is still grabbing, it pitches it sideways, sometimes doing a complete 180. The LR3 on the other hand, being narrow, is less affected by losing traction on one side because the thrust from the tire w/ traction is still close to the centerline of the vehicle related to the wheelbase.
    It is still a work in progress, but I am having tons of fun learning and setting it up different ways. I just wish I wouldn't have bought the e-revo when it came out. I would rather have gotten the Summit, but then again the diff output snapping would be more of a pain than just replacing the occasional half shaft that snaps. 5 min repair compared to an hour. We might start seeing summit owners swapping to the normal bulkheads & diffs w/ spools instead of the problem shafts. Hopefully not though, because the selectable lockers are an awesome idea.
    Last edited by cruzer971; 03-03-2009 at 03:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    what a bad example the summits has tons more movement than the revo in the picture above they not even close to being a Accurate interpretation
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrx794
    what a bad example the summits has tons more movement than the revo in the picture above they not even close to being a Accurate interpretation
    +1 what a dumb comparison. Let me compare my revo with a racy low slung setup suspension with a crawler

I dont think anyone would really say that a summit will outperform a competition level crawler but it can hold its own and do many other things a crawler couldnt imagine doing.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Qualifier
    I just went out and put the 120mm rockers on my REVO and took some more pictures. I took some pictures of the REVO after just setting it down (as I did with the crawler) and then some after I compressed the suspension myself (however, I don't think that when you're driving you're gonna go and manually compress the suspension).

(Compressed)

(Compressed)

(Compressed)

After just setting the REVO down and letting the suspension compress on its own, there was still room between the ground and the tire:

RC Racer
    What springs are on the revo?

RC Qualifier
    ok but its not just the rockers that make the differance the summit has more done to it then just longer rockers.
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    All I know is you wasted your time swtiching rockers to prove nothing. I just went into my office and lifted the front tire on my summit and it was 7 1/4 inches off the table before the rear one started to lift. Thats not too shabby imo.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 03-03-2009 at 08:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer971
    My e-revo is converted for crawling and I really like the way it is set up. I don't have a super to compare it to, but I do have an AX-10 that has been through a season of comps. There are things that make the indy a lot better and things that don't. I personally am impressed with what it can do. With the novak 55, 12/68, spools f/r, 6.75" losi claws from an LST, and some other mods, it is very stable. The chassis is pretty smooth underneath so hangups are not too common. I don't think axle clearance is ever worse than a solid axle. If the diff gets hung up, the tires droop down. On a solid axle, if the diff gets hung up, the tires just stay in the air. I think comparing it to a super class crawler that has the same wheelbase and trackwidth, and no rear steer or dig, would be pretty close, but I think the indy would do better. I hate the way the driveshafts on my ax-10 give it torque flex, and lift tires when it shouldn't. The indy exhibits no torque flex at all. When the solid axles get twisted up, you steer up or down, but with the indy you still get to turn left or right. The steering issue depends on terrain. Both have advantages in different situations.
    I want to try narrowing my e-revo crawler's trackwidth to help with turning radius, handling, etc. In the video with the LR3 and the Summit, the trackwidth problem is evident. Being soo wide, if one side loses traction on a climb, and the other is still grabbing, it pitches it sideways, sometimes doing a complete 180. The LR3 on the other hand, being narrow, is less affected by losing traction on one side because the thrust from the tire w/ traction is still close to the centerline of the vehicle related to the wheelbase.
    It is still a work in progress, but I am having tons of fun learning and setting it up different ways. I just wish I wouldn't have bought the e-revo when it came out. I would rather have gotten the Summit, but then again the diff output snapping would be more of a pain than just replacing the occasional half shaft that snaps. 5 min repair compared to an hour. We might start seeing summit owners swapping to the normal bulkheads & diffs w/ spools instead of the problem shafts. Hopefully not though, because the selectable lockers are an awesome idea.
    The torque twist can be eliminated with a different spring rate in the left rear of the truck. It is also affected a lot by throttle control.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVIN
    What springs are on the revo?
    I am running the pink and purple springs on my REVO.

ok but its not just the rockers that make the differance the summit has more done to it then just longer rockers.
    What else does the summit have done to it? It's the same suspension geometry. I know that the Summit has different springs, but there's not much else to be done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    All I know is you wasted your time swtiching rockers to prove nothing.
    I switched the rockers to show a point. I don't believe it was a waste of time.
    Last edited by Alum. REVO; 03-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.

RC Champion
    not even trying...can the ax do this?

@ 80% for years?

RC Champion

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Alum. REVO
    I switched the rockers to show a point. I don't believe it was a waste of time.
    The thing is you didnt prove any point, thats why it was a waste of time. Here are some pics to show you a more fair comparison.

Tape measure body is 2.5"

Summit stock vs E-revo with P2 rockers and stock springs

Summit had roughly 7.5" vs 2.5" for e-revo in race mode

Summit stock vs TXT-1 stock

Both are very close to 7.5".

Last edited by Jason_garrison; 03-03-2009 at 08:26 PM.

RC Champion

Thumbs down

double post

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    not even trying...can the ax do this?

Yes...

RC Qualifier
    double post
    your Comparasion is more fair and makes more sense 7 1/2 in thats really good IMO.
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Yes...

No it cant. The Summit was clearly on top of the controller, not leaning up against the side...

Look I am not saying one is better than the other since I obviously own both. But there is some BS being spewed both ways. When you show something that is clearly NOT an accurate representation of what you are trying to prove it just doesnt hold water.

Is the summit going to rule the crawler world, of course not. It probably wouldnt fair all that well against comp built crawlers. But it can hold its own against most stock stuff and will do things that most crawlers could only dream of. Look at it this way, it has 85-90% of the crawling and 100% of the bashing we all love.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 03-03-2009 at 08:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yes...

look at the the little one its one tire is on the tansmitter and on the other side the tire is on the side wall so if the tire on top slips there will be no grip for the one tire on its side wall but when you look at the summit one tire up in the air and all 3 other tire on the ground not there side walls
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE!? Traxxas didn't make a solid axle crawler. No amount of comparing your Revo/ Summit/ Solid Axle Crawlers/ Whatever the heck else.. is going to change anything. I wish Zinno would come and close this pointless and frustrating thread now.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky8333
    WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE!? Traxxas didn't make a solid axle crawler. No amount of comparing your Revo/ Summit/ Solid Axle Crawlers/ Whatever the heck else.. is going to change anything. I wish Zinno would come and close this pointless and frustrating thread now.
    If you dont like it, dont look in it. No one is flamming and nothing is getting out of hand.

RC Champion
    /\/\/\+1 i was thinking the same thing...you have to keep clicking on the link to read the posts....but anyway i just measured that remote....9 inches
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    If you dont like it, dont look in it. No one is flamming and nothing is getting out of hand.
    I don't think the thread is necessary because it is pointless rambling that has very little to do with the Summit anymore. It's more about (at this point) "Hey look! My solid axle crawler has more suspension articulation than a Revo!"
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Champion
    wow 3500 views
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    I don't think the thread is necessary because it is pointless rambling that has very little to do with the Summit anymore. It's more about (at this point) "Hey look! My solid axle crawler has more suspension articulation than a Revo!"
    wow 3500 views
    And with that I rest my case.

Edit: Just to express my disbelief in words, can I please add this? Thank you very much.

Last edited by rocky8333; 03-03-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Positronic
    To me I think traxxas went with Independant suspension for two reasons. One being high speed handling and the other being to use as many pre-existing parts as possible.
    I think they made the right choice and have the best suspension for the summit, for bashing, jumping and some crawling.

I could not help myself to draw an image to show a situation often found in crawling, where the front axles are on a slope that is the opposite angle to the slope the rear axles are on.
    I want a summit, but it won't replace my ax10.

Here's a good example of this picture. My chassis stays level on this and the tires are making full contact with the ground.

If you did that with the Summit, the tires would be riding on the part where the face of the tire meets the sidewall. The Summit is definately going to be better in some places, but a real purpose built crawler will be better in almost all applications.

RC Champion
    had to try it...i just set it down...no pushing ..notice theres no 1 lb body also

btw you are right about straight axle but these summits sure are sweet arent they?

@ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    had to try it...i just set it down...no pushing ..notice theres no 1 lb body also

btw you are right about straight axle but these summits sure are sweet arent they?

I'd love to have a summit! I just don't think it could replace my Axial.

RC Qualifier
    SO what, let us ramble lol. really when i created the thread i didnt think it would have that many views. i do think that if you dont like the thread you just dont have to click on it. simple as that. we dont need your negative comments here.
    T-maxx 3.3

RC poster

I had this problem out of the box

I got mine and my sons Brand New Summits out today for the first time. Mine proceeded to almost immediatly break the right rear axle into the rear diff and about 20 min. later my sons broke the right front (same end into front diff). I can assume this is a factory defect.
    Anyone else seen a thread on this?
    I'll try to send these pics to Traxxas.

These shots are of my rear axle but my sons looks identical in failure.

Mike

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer
    Anyone else seen a thread on this?
    Here is Traxxas's response.
    They locked the thread to hide the problem and make it harder to find help regarding the fix....
    JRx2, Mini-Z, MRC, Summit, Slash, Revo VXL, etc.

Quite a few threads regarding it, it is not being hidden from any one. Give traxxas a call, and they will fix you up.

RC poster
    Thanks Guys , I have done some research this afternoon and see this is a problem and most think Traxxas is on top of it.
    Just a shame it happens. I did take the truck out in the front yard this afternoon and took some video and even 3 legged it works well.
    Mike

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    Here is Traxxas's response.
    They locked the thread to hide the problem and make it harder to find help regarding the fix....
    what did they tried to hide? they said it was a bad cast that contain about 2% of all the castings and they said they would replace it no question ask whats there to hide about?
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    nevermind.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC poster
    i called them about my summit "broke diff output shaft" sending part ,,not a problem...there has been quite afew about this same problem, they are having no problem adressing the issue...i am happy with the truck and the quick service from TRAXXAS to rectify the issue........

RC poster
    what did they tried to hide? they said it was a bad cast that contain about 2% of all the castings and they said they would replace it no question ask whats there to hide about?
    you my friend are exactly rite,,,i called about the output shaft ,,and they where very happy to send the part free of charge to ontario, canada and with the diff fluid....i am new to the hobby and i am very pleased with the response TRAXXAS has given me..what are they hidding? NOTHING!

RC poster
    yup me too...told my local hobby shop and called traxxas, and both are very willing to help out ....traxxas is sending part, and hobby shop mech guy said he would do work for me ....now that is service,,

RC Champion
    Straight axle crawlers will continue to be the top of the food chain. This really isn't a fair comparison. It's like apples to oranges, but this is the direction everyone has taken this thread. The Summit's pedigree traces it's roots back the very first Revo. The Revo is and always will be a race machine, plain and simple. Sure, you can market the Summit as a crawler, and it can crawl some, but it will not complete head to head with a purpose built rock crawler.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC poster
    I called Traxxas yesterday and talked to a gentleman named Phil who , no questions asked , is sending out , 2 day Fedex, axles for both of our cars even though I did not have the serial numbers handy.
    Very nice folks and given the fact they have an issue with the axles it speaks highly in this day and age that they are so nice and responsive.
    Very refreshing and as a Hobby Retailer , I can assure you that all are not like that!

Mike

RC Qualifier
    ture and you will never get that great of cust service anywhere traxxas takes care of there people and its why i wouldnt go anywhere else.
    T-maxx 3.3