Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott
    Enough talk, lets see some action.

Goto RCCrawler.com, find people in your area with a super-class crawlers, set up a course, and go toe-to-toe. Better yet, enter it in a crawling comp. Until this happens, its just talk and the debate will continue.
    I agree, theory vs. practice, I'll settle for the latter. One can debate the solid axle vs. thing all day long and it won't get you anywhere in actual practice.

But the way to do is not to enter a competition. A competition is no longer a pure, all-out, extreme test, it is an artificial 'game' with rules and a scoring system that favors a certain type of play. In the real world you don't have to try to avoid touching little orange cones, in the real world you can back up and not be penalized, in the real world you can sometimes jump over a crevasse rather than traverse it. The real world has no reward for slow, careful, precise play, in the real world the purpose is to simply get from here to there in one piece, as fast as you can, and having as much fun as possible.

Dedicated super 'crawlers' are designed to the rules, with digs, rear-steering, and all that other fancy stuff. Finely tuned machines: slow, agile, precise, etc. The summit is more of a driver's off-roading truck, not a competition truck. Powerful, wild, and aggressive. I could see a great 'outlaw racing' type club made around the summit. But from how it drives, I would never use it in a crawling competition.
    Last edited by Access; 02-10-2009 at 12:08 PM.

There are people working on extending this truck and working up a rear steer for mass production, we could very well see this guy in comps. I think one of this trucks downfalls will be how tall it is, you can lower it, but then you lose articulation and makes it too wide for the course. Well see...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Positronic

^^^^ good example

i will say that as many have said the I.S. will handle much better than a solid axel for high speed.

think about it has anyone here driven in a 1:1 scale truck with big tires lifted up and solid axels front and rear?

well i have, it was an excursion (not a fan of ford) but it was lifted 7 inches with 40's solid axels and down the freeway it felt like you were on constant drunk bumps very rad-l-e

now i have also riden in our 03' gmc sierra lifted 6 inches with 35's and I.S. in the front and it road way better, omly bad part about its ride is we had heavy duty oaverload springs in the back so the speed bumps were bad lol

i think is fairly agreed that a solid axel is good for crawling, but for general use i think traxxas made the right choice since this inst a true full time crawler,

if it was a full time crawler i would want to see a drag brake added to it
    FLM 4s Rustler, MM, lowered, more FLM soon

RC Competitor
    Here are two possible ideas, Is the E-revo chassis longer than the Summit and will the REVO swept back rear arms fit the summit. The arms add 9 or 19mm to a REVO.
    SLASH PE 4x4,LOSI 8E 2.0, LOSI 8TE 2.0

RC Competitor
    No luck, The chassis is the same as the E REVO and the arms will fit but will only extend the wheelbase 19MM, not enough for the super class. Well you never know maybe a Summit Class, Don't laugh look how HUGH the SLASH class has become.
    SLASH PE 4x4,LOSI 8E 2.0, LOSI 8TE 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    Oh boy.... here we go again...
    (sigh sigh) oh man
    Remember to drive it like you stole it

RC Qualifier
    I really think it comes down to driver skill level. Now I know the debate on here is which is better solid axle or IS, but today, I have to say, my Summit surprised me totally.

I took it to a spot that I had been eying up for weeks, in anticipation of the Summit. It is a rocky slope down, crosses a creek, then a rocky slope up. Keep in mind that these are big rocks, on average, 12-20" in size.

I had decided that if the Summit is as good as Traxxas claims, then it should go down, across the creek, and back up. To my surprise, it did just that. Don't get me wrong, I did get stuck due to some bad lines, both on the way down and the way up, and once in the creek. But, as I became more and more aware of the way the Summit handled, I became grew with it.

By my fourth attempt, I was in fact, able to find the line, go down the rocky slope, cross the creek, and go back up. I know that the Summit is not a crawler, but today, it crawled, and it crawled well. Had I some softer tires, I don't even think that it would have gotten stuck on the rocks, except for the high centers.

Where am I going with this? I think that many of us are forgetting physics in this equation. Due to the Summit's odd weight to power/torque ratio. In this app, I think it is out performing what a 1:1 would do. There where a few spots in my lines, where I said to myself "Man, I wish I had a solid axle." But, with the locking diffs, and the large tires, it held its own.

Keep in mind that I did own a comp ready AX-10 so I do have a base to compare it to. And I do say, that the Summit, while not a true crawler, is capable. You just need to be precise, pick your lines carefully, and don't be afraid to back up. This is not a comp. No one is going to dock you points.

BTW, I will be posting a video as soon as two things happen. One is I get a camera man, and two, it warms up.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Qualifier
    FireWire, the Summit BLOWS AWAY what a 1:1 would do. Its approach and departure angles are second to none. and it has enough torque to do almost anything..
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    Let us not forget what the Summit really is... It is a E Revo w/locking diffs and lower gear ratio. Oh and I forgot big tires,

If it had such great crawling potential would not somebody have done it by now?
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED
    Let us not forget what the Summit really is... It is a E Revo w/locking diffs and lower gear ratio. Oh and I forgot big tires,

If it had such great crawling potential would not somebody have done it by now?

Well no the e revo is a summit with smaller tires no locking diffs and higher gear ratio. how can i say this? well the summit was under deleopment way before the erevo came out. In fact the E revo was a after thought more or less. Traxxas was kicking around a ideal of a Exterm off road turck that would do everthing. the reason why the E revo came frist is becoz of the engineering of the T-lock was a long process. so frist came the E-revo then the summit.
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrx794
    Well no the e revo is a summit with smaller tires no locking diffs and higher gear ratio. how can i say this? well the summit was under deleopment way before the erevo came out. In fact the E revo was a after thought more or less. Traxxas was kicking around a ideal of a Exterm off road turck that would do everthing. the reason why the E revo came frist is becoz of the engineering of the T-lock was a long process. so frist came the E-revo then the summit.
    Just curious how exactly do you know this? Did a Employee or rep say this?
    What shall I put here?

RC Qualifier
    the reason why the E revo came frist is becoz of the engineering of the T-lock was a long process.
    With all the diffs breaking I think they should have spent a bit more time on the T-lock...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    With all the diffs breaking I think they should have spent a bit more time on the T-lock...
    i think so too
    Remember to drive it like you stole it

RC Competitor
    The E-Revo came first and was the basis for creation of the Summit.

From the mouth of Otto Allmendinger (Summit Design Team Lead):

Even before the E-Revo made it's debut as an electric racing monster truck, we had ideas for using the platform to create the ultimate all-terrain monster with a ton of suspension travel that could do anything - just a big, tough four-wheeler. As we watched the rock-crawling scene grow, we realized we had a real opportunity with the E-Revo platform...
    Source: Radio Control Car Action Magazine - March 2009

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller13+
    Just curious how exactly do you know this? Did a Employee or rep say this?
    Good imagination.

RC Qualifier
    no Traxxas did say that they had in mind befor the Erevo came out on the market that they wanted to build a Exterm off road MT aka summit. the summit was in the works before the erevo.

and to answer your question revorooler13+ The local hobby store i go to in a small town here in ohio the owner of the store his buddy went to work for traxxas at the R and D. we keep in contact but he never says what they are working on. just hints before something comes out like back in Feb of 06 i knew about the new t-maxx and revo comeing out i didnt know any details like about the new 3.3 or anything. the only info i got is to look for somthing very sooon and we ask what and he just smiled at us. but we talk about traxxas and how they are a great company and where they are heading in the furture. and what there style is. See traxxas as a good way about them they dont follow the leader in anything they make there own path. its really interesting to sit and talk to this guy but. thats rare. there is a lot of project going on more and than anybody knows and the summit was just one of them like i said before. the e revo did come out before the summit but the summit was in the works before the e revo was. The guys in the R and D very rarely lets anyone back into there shop. the doors are lock and security is tight. There is stuff going on behind those door that would blow your mind away.
    T-maxx 3.3

There is stuff going on behind those door that would blow your mind away.
    Like fixing the T-Lock issue?

Sorry, it was there, I had to...

RC Qualifier
    LOL mayyyybe i dont know i get a lot of crap for even saying anything. lol.
    im used to it. i hope they get it fix cuz its stoping me from buying right now but i know they are on top of it. they are the biggest gear heads and droks you will ever see lol. but i guess they have to be to think up all this stuff right ? lol
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    I love Traxxas but I don't think the SUMMIT can do this...

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Champion
    yah it prob cant lol, but is it 2 gear trans lockable diffs, waterproof, and freakin cool?
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED
    I love Traxxas but I don't think the SUMMIT can do this...
    Articulation isn't everything either. It may look impressive, but a lot of guys who compete with their crawlers actually modify their rigs to limit articulation.

RC Qualifier
    Like fixing the T-Lock issue?

Sorry, it was there, I had to...

Itís not the T-Lock that is the issue it a simple axel shaft that broke. You seem to say the T-Locking mechanism it self is whatís failing.
    -----The iceage is over, embrace the voltage.-----

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 444Platrevo
    Itís not the T-Lock that is the issue it a simple axel shaft that broke. You seem to say the T-Locking mechanism it self is whatís failing.
    The way I understand it, The T-Locking mechanism is a contributing factor to the #5678 axle breaking
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    yah it prob cant lol, but is it 2 gear trans lockable diffs, waterproof, and freakin cool?
    1) Crawlers only speed: Torque

2) Lockable (or unlockable diffs for a crawler) wouldn't really be that useful.

3) It is not waterproof, but you could make it water proof.

4) It is really cool.

Locked axles are hands down better than independent suspension when crawling.
    Life is just a box of chocolates!

Here it is, proof that the Summit can crawl...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=459434

...as long as it has a ramp... both coming and going.

RC Enthusiast
    Solid or independent suspecion. I run an axial 2.2 converted to an x-trail, a 1.9 tamiya, and a summit. I don't compite, but I love tu run the trucks and have fun with friends. I have run my trucks and have my conclusions, the solid or independent is just where you are crawling, my solid axel, axial x-trail is good, I spend 3 weeks playing with the suspecion to get it just right. and my summit I spend 4 days setting it for the rocks. purple revo springs, 48 oz of Lead Weight on each front tire, a 12 pinion, and a 65 spurt gear. it rocks. I don't have a preference on solid or independent, just set it up right and the potencial is big.
    remember if you are happy with your setup that is what it counts. Reson #1 I don't compete any more.
    Last edited by djchico6; 02-25-2009 at 11:47 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Remember articulation only looks good, and cool on pictures, driving is another game. can you crawl...............or hang.

RC Champion
    Here it is, proof that the Summit can crawl...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=459434

...as long as it has a ramp... both coming and going.
    And here's one with no ramps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FYqzBz-QpE

Click "Watch in HD" for best quality.

Word.
    Save 10% of the money you make..... you'll never regret it.

RC poster
    I think it remains pretty clear that if all you want to do is rock crawl in a certain environment, there is a more effective platform. It's also clear that if you want to race on carpet, there is a better platform. I have two rock crawlers (a CR01 and an AX-10) and both gather dust on the shelf. They are more capable than my Summit on the rocks, but my Summit is WAY more fun. That's just for me, of course... but that's all that matters!

Ultimately the question is: what's the best platform for YOU. Nobody can argue which one is better for YOU. Not with a thousand graphs or a hundred drawings and charts, not with quotes from a hundred professionals, not with anything.

No amount of arguing here or anywhere else can determine which is the best truck for you. So to me, this thread is entertaining... but pointless. For me, on this day, with what I want to do, the Summit is what brings a smile to my face. Next week? Who knows. Maybe my mythical E-revo Brushless Edition will come in... or maybe the Brushless Barbie Jeep... who knows? ;-)

But none of that makes the Summit ANY "better" or "worse" a platform in any way. Who cares if there is a group of people out there who refuse to try it out or give it a chance? Maybe it legitimately doesn't suit their needs or maybe they are "too cool" for Traxxas vehicles because they all come RTR? Their motivation matters about as much as their refusal to try it. Who cares? Really?

I mean after all... we ARE all online.... on a forum... talking about R/C trucks... the whole "my dad could beat up your dad" thing makes that fact all the more sad, doesn't it? lol....

RC Qualifier
    good post durden!! but seriously, my dad could beat up yours!!!!!!

djchico, do you have any pics of your summits suspension setup?? Id like to see exactly how you fastened the weight to the front wheels.(im kind of thinking buying an extra set of front tires, and loading the inside with bb's so i can switch between them and stock fairly quickly) Thanks.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kulangflow
    And here's one with no ramps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FYqzBz-QpE

Click "Watch in HD" for best quality.

Word.
    that video is my fav
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    that video is my fav
    Thanks! I tried to show what the Summit could do in box stock form for those who were curious about its capabilities. I am highly impressed with it, and I've had comp crawlers for years. The Summit isn't going to win any of our local comps, but it sure is a lot of fun to bash/crawl with.

Nice video. Seeing the little girl drive it is cool. At higher speeds that Revo suspension is impressive, it is even cooler the way the Summit is set up. But the 'crawling' isn't that impressive, those rocks are small for 2.2 crawler, how about finding some super-class sized rocks. Try something like this:
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...022109_007.jpg
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...022109_006.jpg
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...th100_3350.jpg

Now, get some video of that guy on some REAL rocks, something that really tests that suspension. While your at it, how about some off-camber shots?

Please keep all images to a maximum width of around 600 pixels. To do this, you may need to edit the image using an image editor before you upload the picture to your host.

I have changed the images to links so that people don't have to scroll to read the thread.

Mis'
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 02-27-2009 at 06:33 AM.

RC Champion
    Nice video. Seeing the little girl drive it is cool. At higher speeds that Revo suspension is impressive, it is even cooler the way the Summit is set up. But the 'crawling' isn't that impressive, those rocks are small for 2.2 crawler, how about finding some super-class sized rocks.

Now, get some video of that guy on some REAL rocks, something that really tests that suspension. While your at it, how about some off-camber shots?
    Thanks for the compliment on the video. My daughter has her own 1:6 crawler (remember the Nylints? ) and just loves to go out crawling with me.

What impressed me about it crawling on those rocks was that it made a couple of lines that my comp 2.2 couldn't make just because of its size. I didn't capture those lines on that video though. I do need to get it out on some bigger rocks, but they're not in my front yard and time is limited for me.

Again, I'm not trying to prove that it's going to win any local Utah comps, because it won't. I will say that it crawls much better than I expected. I'd like to drop the gearing, drop the center of gravity, and throw on a better ESC with a good drag brake, but I am shipping this one up to my brother next week. I'll have to get as much video as I can this weekend if weather permits.

Word.

RC poster
    ...in the 1:1 world, I do so love my old solid axle Jeep... my IFS Jeep buddies cant come close... the only JKs that can run with me are ones that have done solid axle swaps... but I digress....

RC Enthusiast
    nice jeep. 1:1
    Last edited by djchico6; 02-26-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Keep RC fun and safe.................

RC Enthusiast
    how you post the pics with out the link.???????

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden455
    ...in the 1:1 world, I do so love my old solid axle Jeep... my IFS Jeep buddies cant come close... the only JKs that can run with me are ones that have done solid axle swaps... but I digress....
    Oh sure, show us both up with pics of a 1:1, no one here wants to see that!!!! J/K, nice jeep, I wish I hadn't sold my YJ.

To post pics, set up an account at a photo sharing site, I use photobucket, once you have a picture uploaded to the site you'll see 4 boxes under the pic, the bottom one is "IMG Code", copy that text and paste it into your post, your pick will show up in that thread.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, I will check it out so I can post some pics of my summit.

RC Enthusiast
    here are the pics of my summit ready for the rocks.

http://monster.traxxas.com/photopost...php?photo=2113

48oz of weight on each front tire, purple springs all the way, lower the body.
    Last edited by djchico6; 02-28-2009 at 06:08 PM.