RC Racer

Yet another Slash gearing question

As I search for answers, I am sure that in a community this large, several people have my setup and have already come up with the answer, so...

I took out the Velineon system from my Slash and put it into my Losi Desert Truck. I picked up a 5700kV CC Sidewinder system, and plunked that into the Slash.

Both cars run 4600mAh 7-cell NiMH, no LiPo at this time and no real plans to go LiPo...

So, I am using stock gears in the Losi, and after 2 batteries of all out full throttle bashing on the lawn, the motor gets warm, not even hot. So it is geared well, has gobs of power, and seems to top out around 40-45mph if I had to guess. Perfectly fast for this kind of truck for me.

The Slash was using a 23 too pinion and the stock 83T spur gear.

Motor was too hot, so I dropped it down to an 18T pinion, still seemed a tad hot so went to a 17T.

I am running HPI GeoLander 2.2 all-terrain tires, they are the best I have tried so far for grass, dirt and pavement. Great all around tire!

So, I am at 17/83 with 7-Cell 8.4V NiMH 4600mAh and a SIdewinder 5700kV system.

What is the optimal gearing for the best balance of power and speed?

I want it to run in the middle. Don't need insane wheelies, and neither do I need insane top speed and scorching hot motor.

So what is the optimal gearing for this setup?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    My side winders seem to do good with 13 -16 p and I run 87&90 s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dereckg
    My side winders seem to do good with 13 -16 p and I run 87&90 s
    So yours is geared down a bit lower than where I am. Hmmm...

Anyone else?

One thing I noticed is that my spur gear is warped. If you take the cover off and spin the tire by hand, you can see it weave back and forth across the pinion as it does a complete rotation.

I have a spare sitting on my desk, so I think I will throw that one on tonight.

With 17T, it is just starting to wheelie, but not all the time. The next smaller pinion I have is a 15t.

Anyone else have any input on this?

RC Qualifier
    Can't help with your gearing for that setup.

But I can attest to the fact that none of my spur gears ever seem to be perfectly flat or round- just make sure when you set your gear mesh that it is not to tight at its tightest point during rotation.
    Slash-Pede VXL-Rusty-Kyosho RC Surfer-MBX4 Buggy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by scramblermaxx
    Can't help with your gearing for that setup.

But I can attest to the fact that none of my spur gears ever seem to be perfectly flat or round- just make sure when you set your gear mesh that it is not to tight at its tightest point during rotation.
    I will check for that. It does not seem warped in that regard. Just that when you watch it turning, you can see it going left to right. Has about 2mm or so of travel left to right.

RC Racer
    i run a novak gtb with orion 10.5 brushless,
    i ran 18/96 when i first got it which made it hot,
    now i run 18/90 and dropped the temps alot, now i dont get over 174

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA
    So yours is geared down a bit lower than where I am. Hmmm...

Anyone else?

One thing I noticed is that my spur gear is warped. If you take the cover off and spin the tire by hand, you can see it weave back and forth across the pinion as it does a complete rotation.

I have a spare sitting on my desk, so I think I will throw that one on tonight.

With 17T, it is just starting to wheelie, but not all the time. The next smaller pinion I have is a 15t.

Anyone else have any input on this?
    same here I have yet to find a plastic spur that rolls true This is why I have gone to alloy spur's always true and dont strip them anymoreAlso if you want to stop wheelies just back off on the slipper

RC Qualifier
    Heres my current set ups that seem to work for me:

Slash 12T Titan XL-5(Blue) 18/86, 6C NIMH, Stock Slash Tires/Wheels

Extended Pede(13.2") MM 4600 21/86 or 21/90, 2S Lipo, 2.2 M2K Tires/RPM Reveolver 2.2 Wheels

Extended Pede(13.2") 12T Titan XL-5(Yellow w/Novak 2S Lipo Cut-Off)18/86, 2S Lipo, Stock Slash Tires/Wheels

fgbiv
    Slash 4X4, Slash 2WD, E-MAXX 3905, Extended Pede

RC Racer
    The best gearing hands down is 25/90

RC Qualifier
    what motor / ESC / battery and tire/wheel combo do use when geared 25/90?
    Slash 4X4, Slash 2WD, E-MAXX 3905, Extended Pede

RC Racer
    Well, I ran it wide open for an entire battery pack, and then measured the temp of the motor and battery.

Motor was 160 degrees F, battery was 135 degrees F.

That was with 17/83

Now that I have a temp gauge, I will try the 18t again and see what temps I run.

I know that 200 is too hot, but how hot is considered acceptable or optimal with a 5700kV motor running 7-cell NiMH?

I wouldn't gear up any higher with your battery temps, I would drop to a 16t pinion.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by powerslider
    I wouldn't gear up any higher with your battery temps, I would drop to a 16t pinion.
    To be honest, the battery is not even as hot as it used to get in a stock Losi Desert Truck.

I got up this morning and put the Velineon system back in, heeding the advice of several people who said that the more torquey 3500kV motor was better suited to the heavier Slash. I put it in and used the 23T pinion along with the 86T spur.

I was getting at least 15 minutes of solid run time, lots of high speed runs, hill climbs in dirt, bashing in the grass, etc...

Motor was 155-160 degrees F when done, well within range.

So I tried a 25T pinion. More top speed, temps were pretty close(162F), but my runtime went down a few minutes.

So I am just gonna leave it at 23/86 for now. It's plenty fast, runs cool enough and gives nice run times.

The 5700kV Sidewinder is going into the Losi Desert Truck, and that thing, being much smaller and lighter, is gonna freakin FLY. I can play with the ESC and soften the initial punch from a stop and adjust it as needed to make that thing wicked fast, but controllable and not abusive to the plastic idler gear.

What's the tallest tires that you folks run on the Slash, to give it a little extra clearance for things like grass?

RC poster

:48::#/#/47%:9/#/;&

If you trim the stock body(alot) or get like a dune buggy body the stampede talons are amazimg just run a little lower my gearimg is 19/90 and my moter doesmt heat up and the front only wheelies if I hot a bump or somethimgother than that id say get a 17mm conversion hex and throw some 1/8th buggy/truggy whees on it

Quote Originally Posted by slashintheblood View Post
    If you trim the stock body(alot) or get like a dune buggy body the stampede talons are amazimg just run a little lower my gearimg is 19/90 and my moter doesmt heat up and the front only wheelies if I hot a bump or somethimgother than that id say get a 17mm conversion hex and throw some 1/8th buggy/truggy whees on it

step one to being new to a forum............................................. ..............

dont try and reply to something that is 3 years old lol

welcome though!
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!