Thread: Asphalt Slayer

RC poster

Asphalt Slayer

I realize that the Slayer is not for asphalt but that is where I drive so my Slayer had to be changed as it spent more time on its lid than the tires! The following are some of the changes:
    Rear Springs to front.
    New "pink" springs at the rear.
    Anti-sway bars front and rear.
    1 inch axle extensions with 12mm hex.
    2.8 Anacondas all round.
    Roll cage.
    Dual steering servos.

I'm still tuning but it doesn't roll and steers direct. The roll cage is from a TMaxx but bent to fit with a vice and vice grips. The body fits in the same location so it looks the same. The wider stance does not look "odd" and the truck looks a little more "open wheel" but not like my Jato. The Anacondas put more rubber on the road but I still have the ride height.

I also ran it with 2.2 Road Hawgs which, I must admit, looks a little weird but it changes the final drive ratio and gives plenty of grip. It was because of this mode that I bought the second steering servo.

I am a firm believer in that a truck cannot be set up for dirt and road and after these mods the dirt performance is compramised but if you are only on the road then this info may help.

RC Racer
    I want pics of the axle extensions.
    What did you use for them.

RC poster
    Sorry for the lack of pics but I don't know how to post a picture although I see others have done it. I should not need to use a link to somewhere else to see a pic so I have no clue. I will give up on the pic posting and maybe you can google for axle extensions yourself. I have some pics if someone can tell me how to do it.

RC Racer
    if i can suggest you something, 1/8th buggy onroad wheels, with 17mm hubs.
    I have 15 r/c's and my slayer & slash are the best

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by db22
    I have some pics if someone can tell me how to do it.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=330456

Yeah, I could Google I guess and sort through alot of useless info...I was just curious as to what YOU used
    Last edited by Beadlock; 01-30-2009 at 08:58 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beadlock
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=330456

Yeah, I could Google I guess and sort through alot of useless info...I was just curious as to what YOU used
    But Daddydan's post contains a picture, not a link to a site of pictures. I still do not know how to post a picture.

I will get the link to the source of extensions later today - sorry for the delay.

RC poster

I will get the link to the source of extensions later today - sorry for the delay.
    www.wheelextensions.com
    Check these out. Disclaimer - I know nothing about this company except that I bought some.

RC Qualifier
    looks as though those extensions will really wanna break off or bend parts? have you put them to the test yet?
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Qualifier
    Interesting idea for extending the wheels. I could see the O rings drying out and falling off losing the drive pins.

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC poster
    Update: I have had no problems with the extensions and they work great. I have even modified some for my 4Tec and used 2.2 roadhawgs! The O rings will probably last as long as the truck and besides they are cheap. I have had no issues of strain with the axles as this truck is really strong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hi db22, I'm also using my Slayer on asphalt, did you modified anything else? Which springs configuration are you using right now, or which one did you find it better for on-road? Thanks! Daniel.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

the only bad thing about using wheel extensions is they can bend axles. i know a few guys over in the Rustler forum that have used the integy 17mm hub extensions and said they kill axles left and right.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What about the springs and silicone? Which one should I use for asphalt?
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    the only bad thing about using wheel extensions is they can bend axles. i know a few guys over in the Rustler forum that have used the integy 17mm hub extensions and said they kill axles left and right.
    CarGuy,

I don't know how you could bend axles, I can see where if hit just right you could break the steering blocks because they are exposed. The axle extenders are very tight over the axles and therefore would strengthen the axles. I'm running the extenders and it gives the truck 13" track which is longer than the wheel base. It runs fine on asphault, haven't flipped it yet.
    C-One
    "I'm Gods child and a Jesus kind of man"

It's called leverage. When you can't break a nut or bolt loose with a breaker bar and you stick a pipe on the end of it and break it loose you are using leverage to pop it loose.

Same thing with wheel extensions. It moves the leverage point out further away from the axle and when you land from a jump it puts added stress on the axle and it will eventually give.

It's just like putting huge wheel extensions on a 1:1 vehicle. Like you see the lowriders that have the wheels sticking way out of the fender. They usually run into alot of problems after a while with worn out ball joints and such.

Now this will happen if you run Huge wheel extensions like 17mm long or longer. Extenders that or only like 5 or 10mm you probably won't have problems.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 05-17-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Posting picture is really very easy all you need to do is upload your picture on photobucket or other posting site I use photobucket and it's free after you upload your pictures in the main album move the mouse over the picture and you will see some boxes the one on the bottom says IMG code copy the IMG code and paste it in right in your message.

Just keep your picture to 640x480
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydan
    if i can suggest you something, 1/8th buggy onroad wheels, with 17mm hubs.
    Daddydan,

What wheels and tire combo are you running here? No fittment problems?

RC Competitor
    www.wheelextensions.com
    Check these out. Disclaimer - I know nothing about this company except that I bought some.
    I actually know the guy Rob who makes thes wheel extenders, anthey are a good product, as far as the pins falling out, not likely... They fit in very very snug, and are almost a pain to get back out. Also, rob does do custom work if you contact him. Great guy. he noticed Ihad ordered multiples of a couple of extenders, as I was doing some experimentation, and informed me that they would not work for me, offered to refund my money, and on top of it said if I sent in the shafts I was trying to extend he could make the extensions custom.

that guiys is a great manufacturer who stands behiond his product and goers all the way for a customer!
    ...till the wheels fall off!!!