Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 41
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859

    My Nitro T-Maxx to Electric Conversion!

    I bought an E-Maxx this week to try out electric and i am totally hooked.. no nitro mess, no tuning, no expensive fuel, just pop in the batteries and go.. also the motors are 5 dollars each to replace. So i thought i have to buy a new engine for my t-maxx why not try to convert it to electric. I just started today and this is what i got so far.

    I tested it around my house and it worked fine just like my e-maxx, i just have to bolt up the tranmission, esc, etc to the chassis and it will be done, probably tomorrow.

    I took the electronics and transmission out of my e-maxx to see if it was possible and it is. I guess if i can find some good deals on ebay it should cost me about 150 dollars, about the price of a new TRX 3.3. In my opinion this is totally worth it.

    The E-Maxx transmission has bigger shafts so i had to drill out the center shafts on my t-maxx to make it fit on to the larger shaft. Also the transmission holes don't line up at all on the chassis so i'm gonna see if i can make a mount of some sort using metal strips. Have to cut away some of the chassis for the bigger e-maxx spur wheel to spin freely and that's it.

    When i get it all done and ready i will test it out and post back how it worked.





  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boo-Val, Fl
    Posts
    1,434
    Nice! But should this be more at home in the E-Maxx thread?

    You said $5 motor...? I could use one of those to integrate electric reverse on my T-Maxx...

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Not a good idea to push it sir
    Posts
    1,852
    There is a guy in our club that converted his revo to electric and it sucks. I don't know what the problem is but that thing is so slow. Maybe you will have better luck.
    2nd Annual Steve Raddatz Memorial Race pm me

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by djjr50
    Nice! But should this be more at home in the E-Maxx thread?

    You said $5 motor...? I could use one of those to integrate electric reverse on my T-Maxx...
    http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS550-120 They are better then the traxxas titans that come with the e-maxx.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by dumplin1078
    There is a guy in our club that converted his revo to electric and it sucks. I don't know what the problem is but that thing is so slow. Maybe you will have better luck.
    Probably his gearing or whatever motors he used. Theoretically the converted t-maxx should be just as fast as my e-maxx. I used it around my house and it seemed to be just as fast, can't know for sure until it's all done and in the street.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tuscaloosa,Alabama
    Posts
    410
    For me its not about speed at all.The sight,smell ,and sound of a nitro engine just does something for me that electric stuff doesn't. I don't care if it runs twice as fast.I was going to say some more stuff but I'll just leave it there.Different people like different things.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Just added a "slot" for the larger 68T spur to fit and spin freely, also mounted the ESC, and receiver box. Tomororw i will be mounting the transmission/motors, and seeing how i'm going to mount the batteries, probably battery straps. Then it will be complete and ready for testing

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    It is all complete.It is basically an E-Maxx now with a T-Maxx Chassis. It works perfectly! It is just as fast as my E-Maxx, pops wheelies like crazy! and it's a nice solid truck! So if anyone wants to get into electric and not wanna buy a whole new truck you would just need an e-maxx 16.8v Transmission, motor mount, 2 motors, and esc! It's a lot cheaper then buying an e-maxx. Also since it's using the e-maxx motor mount and transmission, it is brushless ready.. i can just pop in any brushless motor and esc that i want and hope the drivetrain holds up

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Catskill mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,012
    Nice. I have been wanting a emaxx for a while. I never did get my 4908 tmaxx because of these crazy fuel prices, so I was debating about getting the new emaxx. How is the power compared to say a tmaxx 2.5? The only thing holding me back is the thought of spendings $100's on BL systems and lipos just to make it as fast as a nitro. What kind of batts are you using?
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    With that being said that's my farewell to nitro. It was great and all but i guess electric is just my thing, studying electronic engineering and all. Good-Bye my nitro folk, time to go to the E-Maxx forums now Good luck to all.









  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    Nice. I have been wanting a emaxx for a while. I never did get my 4908 tmaxx because of these crazy fuel prices, so I was debating about getting the new emaxx. How is the power compared to say a tmaxx 2.5? The only thing holding me back is the thought of spendings $100's on BL systems and lipos just to make it as fast as a nitro. What kind of batts are you using?
    If you haven't bought either yet just buy the E-Maxx.. I'm using right now Venom 6 Cell packs which are horrible for these trucks.. I'm waiting to get some cash to get SPC Pro-Matched 7 cell Packs, those should really make the trucks fly.

    I've never had a 2.5 so i can't compare it to that, but compared to my TRX 3.3 it has more torque and low end power, top speed is about 30 MPH with good batteries. And i almost always get wheelies even though i geared it a bit high.

    If you look at nitro you have to spend an average of $40 per gallon of fuel, and then when the motor goes $130 average for a TRX engine. With electric you just pay for the batteries once around $130 for SPC Matched and zapped, which are the best, a charger which is around $60 for an onyx 230 which also charges lipo. And you are good for about 1000 runs or more with the same batteries! Also the replacement motors are $5 or if you want to use traxxas titans around 15 dollars.. although the 5 dollar ones are a lot better. There is also no nitro tuning to do, no oily mess to clean, and you can run it inside your house, outside, at night. It doesn't make much noise.

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,771
    did you need different drivshafts? with the e-max tranny. or where you able to use the t-maxx ones?

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Catskill mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit_Kaine
    If you haven't bought either yet just buy the E-Maxx.. I'm using right now Venom 6 Cell packs which are horrible for these trucks.. I'm waiting to get some cash to get SPC Pro-Matched 7 cell Packs, those should really make the trucks fly.

    I've never had a 2.5 so i can't compare it to that, but compared to my TRX 3.3 it has more torque and low end power, top speed is about 30 MPH with good batteries. And i almost always get wheelies even though i geared it a bit high.

    If you look at nitro you have to spend an average of $40 per gallon of fuel, and then when the motor goes $130 average for a TRX engine. With electric you just pay for the batteries once around $130 for SPC Matched and zapped, which are the best, a charger which is around $60 for an onyx 230 which also charges lipo. And you are good for about 1000 runs or more with the same batteries! Also the replacement motors are $5 or if you want to use traxxas titans around 15 dollars.. although the 5 dollar ones are a lot better. There is also no nitro tuning to do, no oily mess to clean, and you can run it inside your house, outside, at night. It doesn't make much noise.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds sweet to me. What is the mah on those venom batts? I was thinking about getting a emaxx along with some $20 trinity reference 3000mah 6cell packs. I have a duratrax piranha digital peak charger already so I am good to go there.

    Sorry to hijack your thread.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    Thanks for the info. Sounds sweet to me. What is the mah on those venom batts? I was thinking about getting a emaxx along with some $20 trinity reference 3000mah 6cell packs. I have a duratrax piranha digital peak charger already so I am good to go there.

    Sorry to hijack your thread.
    They are 3300 mAh, they last like 30 minutes but not enough power and they get very hot.. eventually they are going to fail.. the best batteries are Side by side flat packs.

    Quote Originally Posted by schofield
    did you need different drivshafts? with the e-max tranny. or where you able to use the t-maxx ones?
    Same shafts. Only problem is that the E-Maxx transmission output shafts are bigger then the T-Maxx transmission shafts, so i drilled out the center driveshafts to make the hole bigger then just put the yoke screw through it with locktite.

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Not a good idea to push it sir
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezermaxx
    For me its not about speed at all.The sight,smell ,and sound of a nitro engine just does something for me that electric stuff doesn't. I don't care if it runs twice as fast.I was going to say some more stuff but I'll just leave it there.Different people like different things.

    YES! Me too. When I look at an electric truck it's just like blah. There is nothing sexy about it. But when I see a nitro anything it's like ooooohhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! This past weekend at the races it was sooooo boring. There was only two nitro's, and one was having some kind of problem with his reciever or something. The other was a Truggy and everybody was ooohing and ahhhing. Yeah electric can be made to be faster, but for me it has very little appeal. The only time I want one is when I don't have alot of time to run. It would be nice to just be able to plug it up and bash around the back yard.
    2nd Annual Steve Raddatz Memorial Race pm me

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,430
    Nice write-up Bandit, at least T-Maxx owners know it can now be done if they want to change to electric with little expence.

    I hate to say it, but the electric bug has got me changing my trucks at home. I'll keep the Maxx Nitro because of sentimental reasons (I built it from the ground up and it cost me a bomb ) but am changing a truggy out to electric for racing. It is gonna be a year long project for me (or at least to the next racing season), because I am waiting for a new type of 1/8 electric setup to come out, then I'm all over it. Plug and play is just a great feature to have, speed and acceleration with electrics now days = WOW, much, much faster than what I had 15 years ago. Alot of my change also has to do with price of fuel here aswell, my LHS owner passed away before Xmas and the cheapest I could get it locally and fast was $27 a LITRE ($102.06 a Gallon), not cheap when I burn through about 2 litres just playing.

    Anyways thanks for the write-up Bandit
    I like it..I like it ALOT! My BL 8ight-T

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Not a good idea to push it sir
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    ($102.06 a Gallon),
    Holy High Fuel Costs Batman. I'd switch to electric too.
    2nd Annual Steve Raddatz Memorial Race pm me

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Schodack, NY (the tax state!)
    Posts
    2,183
    The electric idea has been in the back of my mind, too. My recently discovered LHS has an indoor tract so only electric vehicles there. Its been bitterly cold to run nitro outside, so if I want my bashing urges to be fulfilled, I'll need electric. I'm considering the Slash. Its more affordable and fully waterproof out of the box. I'm definitely keeping the nitro for the warmer weather though. I love the sound. I also like to tinker so tuning is up my alley. If I ever come across a T-maxx roller though, it sounds like a fun mod to do.
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    908
    The transmission holes don't line up because you have an old t-maxx and a newer emaxx. If you had the older emaxx trans, it would bolt in perfectly.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    Quote Originally Posted by dumplin1078
    There is a guy in our club that converted his revo to electric and it sucks. I don't know what the problem is but that thing is so slow. Maybe you will have better luck.

    The guy in your club does not know what he was doing.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Schodack, NY (the tax state!)
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmr4life
    The transmission holes don't line up because you have an old t-maxx and a newer emaxx. If you had the older emaxx trans, it would bolt in perfectly.
    I don't know. This thread is WAY old but I think he said he already did it and it worked great. Besides, if your implying that the old TMAXX and the newer TMAXX have a different hole pattern, they don't because I've already updated my tranny and it bolted right in. Maybe the E-Maxxes have changed but not the T's.
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    E-maxx's did change.. the older e-maxx transmission is wider and the newer is thinner.

    But anyway yes i already tried my conversion and it works great.. i have driven it approximately 20-25 times and haven't had any problems at all. It goes same speed as my stock e-maxx. I am trying to find an adapter mount for the transmission that i have seen on a few websites but they are discontinued. But it does not matter, the little tabs i made are rock solid. Not pretty but they work

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, Cali.
    Posts
    761
    Pretty cool Bandit. Electric is defenitly convenient but theres nothing like having a 50k RPM nitro engine screaming around the track People not familiar with RC are really blown away when they see why I'm making so much noise...
    A lot is two words. Alot is not a real word.

  24. #24
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,759
    Bandit Kaine, your farewell to nitro speech, and the goodbye to nitro folk made me feel so sad for some reason . Sounded like you were speaking at nitro's funeral, sounding it's death knell. The convenience of electric is appealing, but for me it doesn't compare to nitro. Having both definitely is good. But I love everything about nitro! And especially how little kids love them, it is like a magnet to them and I love to see the smiles on their faces . But if I lived somewhere where it cost like $100 per gallon I would switch in a heartbeat and never look back . Or more likely I would move .

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Ever since swithcing to electric i've been really happy I've gotten a lot more run time out of electric for the same price as i would buying nitro fuel.

    When i get my brushless maxx complete nitro will be a faint memory of when i was a foolish child

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    Welcome to the darkside. You just need to get a brushless setup to kick those nitro trucks .
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,759
    I meant to ask you in my previous post, but forgot; What kind of headlights lights are those?

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. streetdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The home of the brave....
    Posts
    3,119
    Just wondering why you didn't just get another E-maxx chassis? I'm all for modding things to work and all but I also like durability and ease of use. Either way good mod, and is the a bluebird I see in there? Have you noticed any difference with it not having the reciever pack in it?
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eudora MS.
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezermaxx
    For me its not about speed at all.The sight,smell ,and sound of a nitro engine just does something for me that electric stuff doesn't. I don't care if it runs twice as fast.I was going to say some more stuff but I'll just leave it there.Different people like different things.
    I'd like to own an electric myself, but I agree there is nothing like hearing that engine whine and that tranny hit 2nd.....God I love the smell of 20% burning....YeeHaaawww The reason I want an electric is to run when I am outta fuel.

    Sorry way off topic but anyway Dude good luck with the conversion..
    Run Hard,Break Stuff,Have Fun! Scott

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    Just wondering why you didn't just get another E-maxx chassis? I'm all for modding things to work and all but I also like durability and ease of use. Either way good mod, and is the a bluebird I see in there? Have you noticed any difference with it not having the reciever pack in it?
    It's a Blue Bird 630 MG, Electrics don't need receiver packs.. the ESC outputs 6V so it's same as having a receiver pack.

    I didn't get an e-maxx chassis because i would have needed, center shafts, chassis braces, and chassis.. that would have brought the price up a bit, i might in the future though, just get an FLM chassis or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Petox20
    I meant to ask you in my previous post, but forgot; What kind of headlights lights are those?
    Husky LED flashlights i took apart, Home Depot 5 for $15.

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. streetdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The home of the brave....
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit_Kaine
    It's a Blue Bird 630 MG, Electrics don't need receiver packs.. the ESC outputs 6V so it's same as having a receiver pack.

    I didn't get an e-maxx chassis because i would have needed, center shafts, chassis braces, and chassis.. that would have brought the price up a bit, i might in the future though, just get an FLM chassis or something.
    I know they don't need receiver packs, I was just wondering if you could notice any difference in power between the servo running off the receiver pack or the BEC from the ESC. Since a receiver pack has more peak voltage and the BEC is constant.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,859
    Not really.. i "locked" my servo saver and it would turn the tires before from a stand still on any surface and it does the same now so i can't really compare apples to apples.

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXXTER
    I don't know. This thread is WAY old but I think he said he already did it and it worked great. Besides, if your implying that the old TMAXX and the newer TMAXX have a different hole pattern, they don't because I've already updated my tranny and it bolted right in. Maybe the E-Maxxes have changed but not the T's.
    Ok? My point was his tmaxx will not accept a new emaxx trans.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    274
    Anyone done this latley? Immlooking for a complete list of parts
    To upgrade a 3.3 to a 16.8v emaxx bit i want to keep the steel chassis anyone?

  35. #35
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Brailman133 View Post
    Anyone done this latley? Immlooking for a complete list of parts
    To upgrade a 3.3 to a 16.8v emaxx bit i want to keep the steel chassis anyone?
    Steel chassis, where did you get that from?

  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    274
    Metal? Whatever the stock 3.3 chassis is.

  37. #37
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXXTER View Post
    The electric idea has been in the back of my mind, too. My recently discovered LHS has an indoor tract so only electric vehicles there. Its been bitterly cold to run nitro outside, so if I want my bashing urges to be fulfilled, I'll need electric. I'm considering the Slash. Its more affordable and fully waterproof out of the box. I'm definitely keeping the nitro for the warmer weather though. I love the sound. I also like to tinker so tuning is up my alley. If I ever come across a T-maxx roller though, it sounds like a fun mod to do.

    I agree here! My first hobby grade RC is my T-maxx 3.3 and I love it, but I am planning on getting some eletrics as well so I can play in the winter here as majority of the year it's around or below 32F. I am planning on getting a Slash first, not sure if I will settle for 2wd or if I will want the 4x4 version for better off-road capability, a Summit will also be in the near future as I have lots of places to crawl which nitro is possible (as I have read in other forums) but just isn't practical in that aspect.

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wildman4910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cocoa Florida
    Posts
    3,957
    Your easiest bet is sell the 3.3, get a Brushless E~Maxx and an FLM chassis.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

    LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    274
    Anyone try this with the extended 3.3 chassis??

  40. #40
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    93
    Nitro to Electric with an Emaxx was simple back back in the day. Just swap in an emaxx trans, get some emaxx center drive shafts and find a way to strap the batteries down. That's what I did.

    Now with the 3905, I'm not sure if that trans is a direct swap like the 3906 was. If it is, its still an easier switch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •