RC Enthusiast

Battery@Charger recommendations

I just purchased a Slash and am awaiting its arrival, so while I wait I figured I'd go out and purchase a battery pack or two and a charger. Bear in mind I'm totally new to the hobby and jes need something to run the slash till my skill level mandates an upgrade. Thanks in advance for the tips.

Dave

RC Champion
    Hyperion 0610i DC

OFNA 10A Power Supply

SPC Matched 4600mah 7 Cell Packs
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Qualifier
    That charger cost almost as much as his truck. Im not saying it's not a great charger but I have this one and love it. Super easy to use.
    I like this setup...

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...(USA_Warehouse)

http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-10A.htm

and this

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=14

This setup if you were to get only one battery will cost less than that hyperion charger alone. and with two batt's it is just a tad bit over the charger alone.

-Bob-
    Last edited by dodge_guy43; 01-10-2009 at 09:28 PM.

I'd have a look at the Duratrax Onyx 230. It's affordable, it has a lot of features, it can charge many different battery types, etc. I bought two of them this past summer, and they have been great chargers. I have a review on my website:

http://www.huronoutfittersracing.com/reviews.htm

Highly recommended.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    +1 to cooleocool. Forgot about that one. And that power supply is the one I said. It's $50 on Maxaamps and $37 on Amain...
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Racer
    i know somebody that uses this charger: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCK1&P=ML
    and this battery: http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=78 and its a GREAT combo

RC Champion
    man you beat me cooleo! +2 on the onyx 230, great charger and best bang for your buck with all the features, nothing comes close... well here in canada anyway
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Racer
    I have a somewhat odd suggestion, because I get my info from my buddy in the advanced RC airplane world....

For the charger I totally agree the Onyx 230.

For batteries you should get a 3 cell A123 (Lithium Phosphate) battery. Each cell is 3.3V (9.9V total). I use two of the hump-packs (one at a time, one is a spare). They are 2300mAH. They are MUCH lighter than a Ni-MH battery, have 1000s of cycles before dying, and will NOT blow up like a Li-Po. Plus they are water-friendly and don't require a low voltage cutoff. You can run them until they are dead, everytime. They stay at 9.9V output the entire time too, then finally just stop, instead of gradually slowing down like a Ni-MH.

I will have to get pics of my setup, but honestly everytime I go to a hobby shop with my Slash people chase me down and ask me what battery that is.... Then they look at me funny and say, "what's an A123?"... "Lithium phosphate, huh?"

You can get them at a few places, some cheaper than others. The A123 cells all come from the same place though, they are patented technology. The packaging/assembly/build quality is what you are paying for though. Mine are A123 Racing packs, but there are better companies. I chose these because I could find them on Ebay for $50 (9.9V @ 2300mAH for $50!!).

While these batteries cost a bit more than a 6 cell Venom at my LHS, they should last at least two years, and are a proven technology. Plus the Onyx 230 charges them!!!

RC Champion
    Are you running brushless? Do these work for the stock xl5 esc? What's your runtime like?

RC Racer
    Not brushless, I need the waterproofing of a brush motor and ESC. So, yes, all the stock electronics work with it just fine, but I suspect the motor won't enjoy 9.9V for long!! I lube the bushings often, clean it out with QD spray, and add some com drops....

With wide open the ENTIRE time going back and forth in the yard and street I get 10 minutes exactly. Everything is stock motor/gearing wise, but I have the tranny locked up with Ofna 300k weight locking grease.

If I am just screwing around, sometimes on full sometimes part, simliar to a normal race I suppose, I get 18 minutes exactly.

Oh yah, and you don't have to balance A123 batteries.... The LiPos ARE faster, giving more voltage per cell, but frankly I don't care. I bought these A123s for ease, durability, safety, and more fun than a Ni-MH.... So far they are exactly what I wanted....

RC Champion
    Do they come in a higher mah rate? I might have to check these out when my NiMh wear out.

RC Racer
    Here is a link to my discount guy on Ebay (he is a standup guy, fast shipper!!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/A123-9-9V-2300-L...3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is a link to the company I believe does a better job than A123 Racing:

http://fromeco.org/Categories/Iron_C...treme_LiFePO4/

I personally like the hump pack style though (2 cells on bottom, one stacked on top in the middle). I cut my foam spacer block into triangles, and wedged the top cell in (so the hump pack is upside down with the side-by-side cells on top). This coupled with two 12" REI velcro ratcheting straps is working perfectly!!!

BTW: I converted my batteries to Traxxas connectors.....

RC Racer
    Fromeco will make you ANYTHING, and they weld their cells and battery bars together, making for a stronger connection.

Honestly I was originally going to have them build me a 9.9V (3 cell) 4600mAH (2 sets of 3 3.3V cells in parallel, so a 3S2P) battery. The cost would probably be about $80, and I didn't want the weight penalty of the extra 3 cells.

My Onyx 230 charger knocks these out in 35 minutes by the way, so two packs are enough to keep me going for a long time with minimal down time...

RC Champion
    Cool! Ive heard of the A123 bats, but never seen them advertised anywhere.

RC Racer
    Yah... I have actually read people saying they are waiting until they are proven.... They have been out since 2006! My friend has used them for 2 years with no problem.

For comparison the Slash has been out for less than 1 year, and is considered proven..... People are afraid of change, just like the LiPo conversion. Planes used those forever, but the car guys were skeptical. In my opinion if a plane guy will run it, so will I. They have $1000s of dollars on the line, and if it fails they crash, there are no bumpers.....

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    +1 w/ cooleo, Onyx 230 is a great charger, easy to use.

RC Champion
    onyx 230 spc racing battery or maxamps
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Enthusiast
    Don't make a mistake and get any Venom battery. I got a 7 cell with a Traxxas high connector, one of the wires came unsoldered, nothing duct tape can't fix though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonrevo33
    +1 w/ cooleo, Onyx 230 is a great charger, easy to use.
    and me ive wanted to get into the a123 's and i belive theve been in buisness with 1:1 car batts and other industry stuff so they have to be half decent, like anyone else im kinda hesitant to move over from what i got but with way less maitnence than a lipo makes me wana jump over maybe one day when i can afford one il try one out and tell yah guys how it works
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    yea imo venom sucks try all-battery.com great deals there i got 2 3800 9.6v batteries and they are great! i put an s-600 from electri-fly at tower hobbies and my rustler weelies 65 feet on an xl-5! (no weelie bar though) and s-600's are only like 20 bucks with shipping. cant go wrong with onyx 230.
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Racer
    Hey Slashpede... I'm already trying them out, and they work excellent. I have two packs, and don't plan on ever switching. I will post pics soon....