RC Racer

Charging LiPos at 1C...necessary?

Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to the world of LiPo batteries, and was wondering if it is *mandatory* to charge Lipos at 1C (at most), as opposed to 1/2C? 1/10C?

What I mean to say is, can I charge my Lipos *slower* than 1C, with no consequences?

Can I set my GT Power A6-10 charger to charge my ***** 3s 20-30 5000mah Lipos to only 1amp, instead of 5a? Will it just take longer, but will cause no problem?

Is there any advantage (other then shorter charge time, obviously) in charging at 1C instead of less?

I'm very concerned about safety (not overheating batteries, fires, etc.), and I'm never in a rush to charge.

Thanks!

PS: I'm a new E-Revo owner, as of last week
    Last edited by stripe; 01-08-2009 at 12:36 PM.

RC Competitor
    You can safely charge at a lower rate , it just takes longer .
    I do quite often , if no rush .

RC Qualifier
    ^
    Same here. If I'm in no rush, I charge at half C.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys! So a battery charged at 1C wont perform any better then one charged at, say, 1/2 C? Therefore, if I'm in no rush, I think I'll charge all my Lipos at 1/2 C or less. If nothing else, I'll sleep better at night.
    Last edited by stripe; 01-08-2009 at 02:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stripe
    Thanks guys! So a battery charged at 1C wont perform any better then one charged at, say, 1/2 C? Therefore, if I'm in no rush, I think I'll charge all my Lipos at 1/2 C or less. If nothing else, I'll sleep better at night.
    Correct. The cells just have to reach a certain voltage (4.2 volts/cell) and as soon as the charging current drops to about 1/10th C, charging stops. But just the same, don't charge the battery unattended.

RC Racer
    take it this way charging a lipo and a lower amp can never hurt saftey and performance wise
    lifes tough, get a helmet

RC Champion
    1c is a slow charge rate already for most packs, there is no gains going slower.. trust me I've tried not always by choice :P You want to always balance charge though which already slows the process as it nears the peak. Most high end packs can take 2c safely and many of the new packs hitting the market now are even 3c to 5c stable for charging. But again NEVER EVER charge at those rates if it's not a balanced charge (such as hyperion). I know many people who think they can just balance once in a while and be fine, but the fact is the last part of the charge cycle is the most important and if you want a nice even balance on the cells so when you discharge you are not making 1 cell do more work than the rest which will kill the entire pack early on in it's life.

1c on a 5000mAH lipo = 5amp charge rate
    2c on a 5000mAH lipo = 10amp charge rate
    5c on a 5000mAH lipo = 25amp charge rate

RC Racer
    I will definitely be balancing my lipos. The GT Power A6-10 charger (not yet received) I just purchased is also a balancer and I will use it for every charge.

As for the < 1C charge, I read in a few places (including battery university) that 1/2 C would be ideal for lithium batteries. Maybe they're onto something. In any case, I will be trying 1/2 C for a little while, and see how it goes.

Can anyone tell me if the GT Power A6-10 charges and balances though the JST tap, or through the Deans/Trxx connector? Or are both used during charging/balancing?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stripe
    As for the < 1C charge, I read in a few places (including battery university) that 1/2 C would be ideal for lithium batteries. Maybe they're onto something. In any case, I will be trying 1/2 C for a little while, and see how it goes.
    Yes but how old is that article or information and how old were the cell technologies they tested.. 3-4 years ago that would be dead on, but over the last two years or so, expecially 08, with the upgrades in lithium technology the cells chemistry has changed allowing for faster charges w/o ill effect.