RC Qualifier

?? water break in for electric motors??

I was just reading some old threads and i came across one about a problem with the titan. This person said he/she broke in the motor with water and 1.5 v for a certin period of time. What is this i have been around for a while and never herd of this Can someone fill me in thnxs dereck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dereckg
    I was just reading some old threads and i came across one about a problem with the titan. This person said he/she broke in the motor with water and 1.5 v for a certin period of time. What is this i have been around for a while and never herd of this Can someone fill me in thnxs dereck
    i dunno were water comes in but spose to break in brushed motors , for me i do sometimes but lol for my titans i just go but for my better motors i read to run at 50% power or training mode 100% for 8 mins. this is what i do and it works!
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    this person said the problem he/she found was magnet debri at the bottom of the glass of water

RC Champion
    Some people used to do this....or maybe some still do.....for "stock" and "closed end bell" type motors.
    http://www.rccartips.com/rc-electric...ning-guide.htm
    Last edited by dave00bear; 01-07-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    if you break in the titans under water they will run way faster and longer, and longer run time, it makes the ealed brushes make good contact, and it breaks in the bushings, break it in underwater for about 30-45 mintus from 1.5 to 4.0 amps, then relube the bushings,

RC Racer
    anotherwards its another race secret to be faster on the track

RC Champion
    I just got a formula pro BB 17x2 motor in, so how should I break it in, under water also?
    I have monkeys dancing in my pants!!!

RC Racer
    The water break in keeps your brushes nice and smooth for less friction hence less drag on the stator.... Break in takes less than a minute at full throttle in water..... I did it to my bud's motor and he is wipping his two other bro's at there home made track.... Try it you will like it....
    PS just make sure you cover the container you use to break in your motor its like a blender shooting the water all over... I just use a small towel draped over the plactic cup...
    HR

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder
    The water break in keeps your brushes nice and smooth for less friction hence less drag on the stator.... Break in takes less than a minute at full throttle in water..... I did it to my bud's motor and he is wipping his two other bro's at there home made track.... Try it you will like it....
    PS just make sure you cover the container you use to break in your motor its like a blender shooting the water all over... I just use a small towel draped over the plactic cup...
    does this work with all brushed motors or the ones with closed ends ??

Just remember that if you break them in with the water method, you will have to clean them out with motor spray to displace the water and you will also have to relubricate the bearings/bushings.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    will air compressing it do the trick, and lubricate the bushings with WD-40 or grease?

I'm new to the electrics
    I have monkeys dancing in my pants!!!

It does give the motors more power but remember the magnet debris? This is becuase the water break in method causes extremely accelerated wear and reduces motor life by quite a lot (in spite of what you may have heard). It is a racer trick because they really don't care about replacing motors so long as they get more speed and power for their race. Traxxas does not recommend it.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    how far do yo put in under water? past the wires?
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    It does give the motors more power but remember the magnet debris? This is becuase the water break in method causes extremely accelerated wear and reduces motor life by quite a lot (in spite of what you may have heard). It is a racer trick because they really don't care about replacing motors so long as they get more speed and power for their race. Traxxas does not recommend it.
    so its ok for cheap motors but if you have an expensive one break it in dry ??

I do it on all the motors I buy and haven't had any problems any of the motors I have including the titan. Breaking in the titan took nearly two battery packs I didn't shoot for any time frame or voltage just ran it at full throttle until the overly large serrations finally wore down some on the brushes. The debris in the water is more likely the carbon dust from the brushes than from the magnet.

Most motors will break in quickly but sealed endbell motors like the titan have very hard long lasting brushes that take a long time to wear down. It is the nature of these motors since they are made to last as long as possible so the brushes will take a long while to break in.

Modified motors however are purpose built for power and speed so the serrations are rather small and they wear out faster, so the break-in will only take a few minutes.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    I knew breaking in electric motors had a catch!
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!

RC Qualifier
    I've also heard that water break in weakens brushes and abnormally shortens their life.

Ah, brushless, how I love thee.

RC Enthusiast
    Too bad brushless setup's aren't good for the snow because of the water issue. I may have to have 2 setups and just switch them out depending on the season.

RC Qualifier
    . The debris in the water is more likely the carbon dust from the brushes than from the magnet.

It was little parts of a magnet not the carbon dust like you mentioned. Yes the water gets dirty from carbon but little parts the size of a very small rock was actually magnet material. When I opened the motor up the rotor magnets were completly intact. So I assume that the particles of magnet was left over from the bulding process.

I check this on 3 motors now. 2 of them brand new One had alot of magnet debris and the other just a little. And yes they were brand new.
    Warning Points 88%

RC Qualifier
    Why are brushlesses bad for the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by svs
    Too bad brushless setup's aren't good for the snow because of the water issue. I may have to have 2 setups and just switch them out depending on the season.

RC Qualifier
    I dont fully understand. How do I safely power the motor while its under water? Use the speed control? Use the motor break feature on my charger?

RC Qualifier
    Never mind, I clicked the link, thanks dave00beer.

RC Racer
    I have raced a few titan motors and broke them in a few diffrent ways.

Wet- clean motor with motor spray using distilled water in a bowl and two d batteries in series for 3 volts dc. put motor under water for about 3 mins. while it is still running pull it out of the water and let it run for about 5 mins.
    blow out remaining water with air, use motor spray to clean out the rest of water and spray the comm good, lube the bushing with small drop on each end. Go easy for the first four laps then start to open it up.

Dry- I have had good luck with this type of break in so far, Clean motor with motor spray bushing and all I use a drill and make sure your rotation is correct. I clipped back one brush with a aligator clip and run the drill a full tilt on out put shaft for 10 mins. Unclip the the brush and clip the other brush (the one that you ran in) clean the motor again and run the drill again for 10 mins. in the right direction. Now clean the motor again clip back both brushes
    and connect the drill to the out put shaft on motor and run the drill at full tilt for for 20 mins. this will break in the bushing and make the motor spin more free. Clean motor and lube with small drop on each bushing. Geared 18/83 after 6 mins. main the motor is warm to the touch with 8 full race days on this motor.

So many ways to do it you need to pick one that works for you..

RC Enthusiast
    I think i got this link from cooleocool some time ago, very helpfull

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...intenance5.asp
    not CRAZY just OLD