RC Enthusiast

Front suspension arm replacement

I busted a lower suspension arm a couple of days ago, and have the replacement parts already. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the ball joint out of the end of the arm. The new one looks like it would just pull stright out, but I hate to pry on something without asking first. It looks like there is some sort of little round clip, is this what holds everything in place? Thanks a lot
    Mat Ellison
    REVO 2.5
    KC-135 Boom Operator USAF

RC Qualifier
    The ball inside the carrier has a hex in the front of it. Take off the wheel and you will see a hole in the top of the bearing carrier and one on the bottom. Each one will have a small rubber cover on it, remove the cover find the right size hex and unscrew the pivot balls off. Also if you need for the ball to come out there is a retainer that's threaded on in the same hole, it takes a bigger hex to remove this one. Just remove the tire, look in those holes and you'll figure it out.

If you just pry the balls out you will damage the carrier and they will pop out on their own later.
    Cen Matrix TR - Swks .21 V2
    Losi 8B - Swks .21 V2

RC Qualifier
    Page 34 of your owners manual. 2.5mm Hex Wrench

http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5308_manual.pdf

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5310_front.pdf

I see now how the balls come out of the hub, do you have to remove the balls from the hub to replace the a-arm? Even if you get the ball joint out of the hub the end of the ball joint will still be in the end of the a-arm. How does this come apart? on the exploded view it looks like part #4933 just pushes into part #5331, or is it held in somehow?
    Mat Ellison
    REVO 2.5

RC Champion
    Mat, there is a hex in the end of the ball, if you stick a hex wrench thru the rubber boot you can unscrew the pivot ball out of the arm without removing it from the carrier. You may have to move the arm up or down to get the wrench in the hex.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pntmachine
    Mat, there is a hex in the end of the ball, if you stick a hex wrench thru the rubber boot you can unscrew the pivot ball out of the arm without removing it from the carrier. You may have to move the arm up or down to get the wrench in the hex.
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
    Mat Ellison
    REVO 2.5

RC Champion
    Mat, this is also your adjustment for camber setting. I don't know which arm you broke but you do not want to thread the ball all the way in the new arm, check the threads on the old arm and replicate it with the new arm or close, I would leave it out slightly and adjust it after its back together. Read up on camber adjustments.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Enthusiast
    I got it, it was simple, but I see why I was confused. Traxxas does not tap threads in their holes there are simply holes, so I was confused on how things went together at first. I have never heard of not tapping holes and having to use the screw to make threads. Luckily it's plastic and it was not a problem.
    Mat Ellison
    REVO 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliboom
    I got it, it was simple, but I see why I was confused. Traxxas does not tap threads in their holes there are simply holes, so I was confused on how things went together at first. I have never heard of not tapping holes and having to use the screw to make threads. Luckily it's plastic and it was not a problem.

Yea, they don't tap the hole so the screw makes the thread making it a tighter fit.

RC Champion
    There's very few companies in RC that you'll see pre-tapped holes in plastic parts. Commonly, the deformation/cutting of threads as you install a new part helps keep everything secure.

Aluminum parts are totally different, as you'll break off screws or damage the new part if there isn't threaded holes.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Enthusiast
    I guess I come from an industry where plastic is not used, so the bare holes are new to me. Now I know. Thanks for the help.
    Mat Ellison
    REVO 2.5