Thread: rear suspension

RC poster

rear suspension

im new to r/c cars and nitro cars.my slayer when im just playing with it in a field the rear suspension does not seem to rebound,it just stays compressed.over any bump or jump the rear end bottoms out(i already broke the rear skid plate and lost the lower a-arm pins).its stock suspension except for revo sway bars silver in front and back ,and its not binding.i tryed to tighten the rear springs but did not help.was wondering if anyone knows what to do? sorry for the long post.

RC Qualifier
    Some times the sway bars do bind. Normally there is enough spring to rebound, is it packed in dirt?Have you checked each side independantly? Shocks shafts bent? Sounds odd

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC poster
    well with the truck sitting on a table and push down on the rear end it just stays down.you can pick it up and they will drop put not all the way,you have to pull it the rest of the way up(only a couple of mm though)it was like that from new but not as bad.in the air and compress both rear wheels they drop like they should.

RC Racer
    maybe the bearing on the rear rockers.. but has Mr Twister says, maybe a bent shock shaft...
    also make sure that the 2 screws that goes on rear sway bar aren't too tight
    I have 15 r/c's and my slayer & slash are the best

RC Competitor
    Just unhook the rocker arm, you should be able to tell if the arms are binding. If it is not the arms then there has to be a promblem with the rockers or the shocks.

One of my nephews rear shocks were binding on the tabs that hold the wires for the ez start system.

RC Enthusiast
    Mine does the same thing i don't have sway bars but the rear shock i feel are way to soft from the factory, if i have mine on the bench and then i press it down i goes all the way down and then will only come up a little until you lift it up like mentioned then it will go the rest of the way, i have tried setting the adjustment ring on the shock up all the way at one point and all that does is make it tipsy and kills the travel of the suspension. I have gone to my local hobby shop and asked them if they have springs but they said they don't because the truck is too new. They were also telling me that Revo springs are different spring rates then the slayer thus you cant use them, well you could but the results would be less then satisfactory according to them

i've tried different rate springs and mine does the same thing with all the springs. and nothing is wrong with my suspension. i've taken it apart and inspected everything.

it hasn't done this as bad since i've installed the P3 rockers but it still does it somewhat.

i just wonder if the shocks are losing oil b/c my rustler was doing this until i rebuilt and topped the shocks off with oil.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 01-10-2009 at 06:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I cleaned my shocks yesterday and installed fresh 45 wt. shock oil and its does the same thing. I was only getting the shocks to extend about half way out once compressed after cleaning and putting fresh oil in. It does it whether the sway bars are attached or not.
    Support your local hobby shop!

RC poster
    yeah sounds like a couple of people have this problem.soon as i get it back from the hobby shop(screwed up the clutch yesturday)im going to try thicker shock oil and stiffer springs to see what happens.

RC poster
    Well how about that! I boughta brand new Slayer to convert to a Brushless Mamba Monster. I pulled the nitro engine and tossed it out. I then had the truck a long time waiting to get a new MMM. Many a night I played with the brand new roller, and the first thing I noticed about this machine is that even without the weight of the motor, Tank, exhaust and attendant hardware the rear end could not lift its own rear end back up once compressed. Let me tell you it got no better once I installed the new power system. A total dog. I cant believe Traxxas would sell anything with such a problem right from the factory. I also cranked those rear springs all the way down to get the rear end up. But my car got nicknamed "Roof Rider" at thelocal track as the machine turned upside down at every corner of the track. I have installed swaybars and now just pretty much let the rear end sit on the bottom with no real rear suspension. At least the car does not flip over at every turn. It sure would be nice if Traxxas were to respond to all the complaints in this forum, and give us an answer. Bummer Support!
    Last edited by Flyon_RC; 03-04-2009 at 11:31 PM.
    MM 2200KV
    30C 5250 5S
    HyperEOS0720
    SpekDX3S

RC Racer
    I run double blacks in the rear, max preload, with 65wt. Have sway kit, RPM axle carriers, all else stock. I have same condition, after depression they rebound about 3/4 inch. I say "condition" as I didn't see this as a problem. One thing I noticed with my Slash (realizing totally different truck) was that when I sought rebound as a feature, the result was a bouncy rear end, which made it unstable down the straights.

My concern was frame slap when landing, so I installed some rubber stops (fuel line) to keep from slapping.
    You're gonna need a bigger boat...

RC Enthusiast
    butterwj, how did you install the "stops" if you don't mind me asking? On the shock shaft? If so, about how long a piece of tubing did you install?

I don't mind if the rear hangs low, as long as the shock setup (oil weight, spring) doesn't allow it to bounce around and make it sketchy, but I do worry about frame slap.

RC Racer
    1/4 inch of fuel line, removed the bottom eyelet and slid the tubing onto the shaft. l first tried some plastic eyelets and they didn't give enough for my liking.
    You're gonna need a bigger boat...

RC Enthusiast
    Great, I'll give that a try, see how it goes.