Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Smoked my Titans.

Well it finally happened. But this is not the typical complaining thread like most. I got well over 40 runs out of the titans using two 7-cell 3600 sanyo packs but switched a week ago to SPC 8000mah lipos and knew that they werent going to take that abuse for too long. Gonna try the Dewalt 12v motor tomorrow with a 20 tooth pinion. its only $24.95 and there's a Dewalt service center across town with them in stock. Want to try and stay waterproof threw the rest of winter.

RC Champion
    What Dewalt motor?
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Racer
    THis one talked about Here also over Here.

Pics of the dewalt motor. Not my E-revo though.

RC Champion
    Does it have more Speed/Torque than a 700-HO?
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Racer
    Ok just took this out for a quick test and WOW is this motor way better than the titan's. waiting on a freind to bring over his temp gun to check temps. also gonna try and gps it too.

RC Champion
    Is that a "rebuilable motor" ? Let us know how your testing goes .....

RC Racer
    More detailed pics of the motor

The replacable brushes.

E-Revo: MMM Combo, SPC 2S 8000mah Lipo's

RC Racer

How i dremeled the mount so it would bolt up.

RC Racer
    So it maxed out in the mid 27mph range out on the street. motor temp while running are very low due to the directional internal fan. It actually gets warmer after your done running. After 20 min of mixed running (Street speed runs and Bashing in the grass of a local park) motor was 110*F and the Esc was mid seventies. But this was after, i checked it while running and the motor was in the eighties . was about 40*F out. But this motor has soooo much more torque than the titans it's just sick. maintains speed in grass with no problems.

RC Enthusiast
    So what all did you have to do get make It work any mods or was It easy to do I would like to try that.

RC Racer
    all you have to do is dremel the motor mount a little as pictured above. you will need 4mm screws for the motor and a 5mm 20t pinion. Solder on the motor wires and you will need to add the little capacitor to prevent radio interference. i'll post up some pics of it all mounted and wired up. Man is it fun though its the same overall speed as stock but with brushless like torque. the torque really keeps it moving through the grass with no loss of speed.

RC Racer
    Also had to put washers between the motor and the mount in order to get the pinion lined up with the spur.

RC Qualifier

Cool

Nice Pictures and I am Glad you like the motor , I have one on order from sears and it should be here in a few weeks. From your pictures it seems to have a few nice improvements over the old style motor.

I just had to get some new brushes for my old style motor. They lasted 81 runs for me and probably would have lasted over 100 runs if one of the capacitors did not break. The side without the capacitor was completely worn down, but the side with a capacitor looked like it still would have lasted a few more runs.

My old style motor goes around 32mph with 14 cells in first gear (19/68). I am not sure how fast it is in second gear (25/54), but I would estimate it in the high 30's to low 40's. This is the torquiest motor I have tested, it will do wheelies on demand in first gear and has enough power to push it up very steep grass hills in second gear. Best of all it runs cool no matter what terrain you are running on.

It is good to see you like the motor and I hope it keeps performing well for you.

Could you possibly make a video of it? I would like to see how it performs with lipo batteries.
    Last edited by HobbyGuy321; 12-31-2008 at 06:33 PM.

RC Racer
    sure i'll try and get some over the holiday break.

RC Racer
    Went to the rock quarry today for some bashing here some video's was fun till the rear wing/body mount broke. No stupid background music or slow motion B/S either.

RC Racer
    More video's

RC Competitor
    Almost as fast as my 8ight buggy....lol
    Last edited by klrerevo; 01-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.

RC Racer
    Last Vid's of the day

RC Qualifier
    Nice videos, It looks like you really have a nice place to bash. I did not notice a huge difference between my 7-cell promatch batteries and your lipos, yours looks like it has a little more torque. Thanks for the videos, they really helped me out.

Hopefully ups will deliver my replacement brushes tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    I've got a few questions

Would a Dewalt 18v motor work with the stock ESC?
    If so, would it matter to the motor if i only ran two 6 or two 7 cell battery packs? (Under-volting)
    And what do you do with the extra set of wires coming out of the ESC?

Thanks

RC Qualifier

Cool

NICK31-
    Yes, the 18v motor will work with the stock esc with 6 or 7 cells. It will probably be slow, but extremely torquey and cool running. It could make a great crawling motor. You could probably gear this motor pretty high for faster speeds.

You can either connect both positive leads from the esc to the positive motor lead on the motor, and connect both negative leads from the esc to the negative lead on the motor. Or you can connect one set of positive and negative leads from the esc to the motor and just keep the other set out of the way.

Hope this answers all your questions and helps you out.

I would really like to see someone try this motor on the mamba monster esc with some 6cell lipos. It would probably be a fast and stable setup.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the quick reply hobbyguy, answered all my questions.

I only asked if the 18v would work because my dad has two older drills that he doesn't use anymore.

RC Qualifier
    Cool, if you can get the motor out of an old drill for free you should try it and let us know how it does.
    Glad I could help.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK31
    Thanks for the quick reply hobbyguy, answered all my questions.

I only asked if the 18v would work because my dad has two older drills that he doesn't use anymore.
    Heh, I'm planning on doing the same thing. I've got a 12volt Fein drill motor and a 14volt Porter Cable drill motor. Any time I see someone using a drill motor it's always the DeWalt, so I don't know if that one is special in some way that makes it useable in RC cars.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure why it's usually Dewalt motors. But one thing I am sure of is that Dewalt drills are considered to be the better drill when compared to other brands. ....I could be wrong and maybe all drills have to same kind of motor...Who knows?
    Last edited by NICK31; 01-02-2009 at 10:29 PM.

RC Qualifier

Cool Other Motors

Draven-
    Any drill motor will be fine as long as it mounts up, I just used a dewalt motor because that was the only thing available to me at the time and other people are using them because they read that I used one in my original post.

You could try it out just to see how it works. I do know dewalt and makita make some pretty good brushed motors, but they are the only ones I have ever had experience with. I cracked open a cheap off brand drill once and it had a cheap chinese motor in it like the stock titans.

If it was me and I had those two motors, I would mount them up and see how they ran. The worst case scenario would be you would have to modify the motor/mounting plate to make it fit.

Good luck and I hope you can get it mounted.
    Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    I've got a few questions for HobbyGuy or anyone on this forum for that matter.

So I got the 18v Dewalt motor (old style #396905-03) all cleaned it up and removed the pinion. And this thing is huge! The diameter of the can is 1-7/8"!

Ok, now for my questions, lol.....

I know hobbyguy already said this motor should work fine, but would be slow. But what kind of speeds do you think it will be capable of using 16.8volts (two 7 cell packs) which is only 1.2volts short of the 18volts.

I don't want to dremel out the mount and get it all ready (solding on wires and capacitors and etc.) if this motor won't get past 20mph. I also don't want to do all that if the 12 or 14.4volt motor would be better.

RC Competitor
    Is that buggy powered by a dewalt motor?

RC Racer
    Just hook it up and see what it does youll be the first to try the 18v and who knows how fast it will be might go 20mph or it might go 40mph we wont know till someone tries it out.

RC Qualifier
    This is such a great idea, let us know how the 10 Dewalt motor works out.
    Is the 18 volt motor shaft 5mm also?
    ~Gage~

RC Qualifier
    Yes the 18v motor has a 5mm shaft. It should go faster than 20mph, I am thinking 20-26 depending upon gearing. It should have plenty of torque for almost any gearing. Best of all it will probably barely get warm.
    If you would like to calculate speed it does 1100rpm per volt, so at 16.8v it should do 18480rpm.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by HobbyGuy321; 01-03-2009 at 07:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the replies. I don't have any 5mm pinion gears. I will place an order thru TowerHobbies because I have $17 left on a gift card from my girlfriend.
    I would have to buy a pinion and some capacitors:

What tooth pinion should I get? (To go along with the stock spur) I was looking at the RR 8 Mod 5mm pinions, but was unsure what tooth would be a good setup.

Does it really matter what size capacitor I buy? Tower has a pack of 25 caps for like $6 and I believe they were .1UF

RC Qualifier

Cool

I am not really sure which pinion to get, the 12v motor is good with a 20t pinion. So I would think a 22t with a few different spur gears since they are a cheaper way to make adjustments about 3$ a piece instead of 10$ for a pinion.

Or if you wanted to play it safe and buy a 20t pinion with different size spur gears in case you are not satisfied with the motor, you can always get a 12v for cheap and use it.

RRP pinions are the best, they really last a long time, and make sure to get extra set screws for them in case you lose one.

The capacitors have to be .1Uf.

Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, once again, HobbyGuy. I really appreciate your help.

I'm just going to get the 20t for now and get a couple extra spurs.

One last question I do have is where can I get the 4mm screws needed to mount the motor? Does it matter what length it is? Or head shape?
    If Tower doesn't sell any then of the right specs, then would Lowe's or somewhere have them?

Thanks again, Sorry if i'm becoming a neucance. lol

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure how long the screws need to be, but they have to be long enough to mount the motor without touching the moving commutator inside. They can be any head shape.

If you get
    these
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTW39&P=7
    and
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTW38&P=7

you should have an assortment large enough to mount it up.

Lol you are not at all a neucance, after all, a forum is for finding answers to your questions.

Have you taken the motor out of the drill yet?
    Is it the old or new style motor?

Hope this helps you out.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the links. I was looking at these on there too. Couldn't I just get the longer set and cut them down if I need to?

Post #27 tells it all, lol. Yes it is the older style motor.

It looks very very similar to the one shown in post #7

RC Qualifier
    Yes, that would work also, but they will just thread harder at first.
    Sorry for asking a repetitive question.

I think that is all you need to get it mounted.
    Glad I could help you out and good luck with the project.

RC Qualifier
    How about useing a 14.4 volt DeWalt motor?
    ~Gage~

RC Qualifier
    That's what I will probably end up trying to buy if this 18v doesn't perform too well.

I'm only using this 18v cuz the drills case was broken so my dad said I could have the motor..

RC Qualifier
    Guys I just took a look at sears.com web site and the sell the 12 Volt Dewalt motor for under $22.00
    Heres the motor #396505-20
    I might buy two. OR should I get the 14.4 Volt DeWalt?
    Question do you think this would be a good choice for the E-Maxx?
    I would like to get one for my E-Revo and E-Maxx.
    Thanks ~Gage~