RC Champion

Bladder Part Number

I went to clean some shocks yesterday as it's been quite a while and found that all 4 bladders were bad. They are stock shocks but have the big bore caps on them. I guess when I put them on and tightened them all the way, it cut off part of the bladder and in two of them, the bladder was actually inside the shock body instead of on top. Anyway, I need new ones and looked on the blow ups for the VXL and couldn't find what they were. Anyone know?
    Also, when I go to rebuild the shocks, should the shock caps only screw down most of the way but not all the way down?

I guess another question is should I rebuild the whole shock? The shafts are bent on the rear shocks so I will need to replace those. I have spare e-clips and such so I might as well rebuild them but what else do I need to do that? O-rings?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: I saw the shock rebuild kit is only $2.39 on Tower and has the bladders and o-rings. Which brings up another question. Does this rebuild kit only do one shock or does it do two? Two would be excellent. I'll have to see if my LHS has them in stock.
    Last edited by healthyfatboy; 12-21-2008 at 08:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    I went to clean some shocks yesterday as it's been quite a while and found that all 4 bladders were bad. They are stock shocks but have the big bore caps on them. I guess when I put them on and tightened them all the way, it cut off part of the bladder and in two of them, the bladder was actually inside the shock body instead of on top. Anyway, I need new ones and looked on the blow ups for the VXL and couldn't find what they were. Anyone know?
    Also, when I go to rebuild the shocks, should the shock caps only screw down most of the way but not all the way down?

I guess another question is should I rebuild the whole shock? The shafts are bent on the rear shocks so I will need to replace those. I have spare e-clips and such so I might as well rebuild them but what else do I need to do that? O-rings?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: I saw the shock rebuild kit is only $2.39 on Tower and has the bladders and o-rings. Which brings up another question. Does this rebuild kit only do one shock or does it do two? Two would be excellent. I'll have to see if my LHS has them in stock.
    Each rebuild kit will do two shocks.

RC Champion
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    Anyway, I need new ones and looked on the blow ups for the VXL and couldn't find what they were. Anyone know?
    The part number for the diaphragms is 1765.
    There will be a small gap at the bottom of the cap when you put them on.
    Yes, rebuild them. You already have to take them most of the way apart anyway... you might as well go the extra distance and replace the o-rings as well.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    There will be a small gap at the bottom of the cap when you put them on
    When you say a small gap, is that with it tightened down all the way or that I should leave a small gap (~1mm) when I tighten it down?

I normally just tighten mine down, but I have heard other members here talking about how they have to stop to get the gap at the bottom. I'm not sure what accounts for the difference... just be sure to leave a 1 mm gap at the bottom.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    I had the same issue a while back with the bladders tearing from tightening all the way down. Now I add some of plumbers teflon tape around the threads and tighten them like cooleocool said, down to about 1 mm or a fingernail width.
    Rustler VXL FLM-Pede VXL Slash PE