Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Step by step my 2nd monster is waking up !!! (pics, vids and lists)

Finally....... I decided to build an E-Revo !!!!!

I finished my E-Maxx project (all the long story here : http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=419028). I succeeded in building an unbreakable E-Maxx dedicated only to bashing ! I want to do the same thing with an E-Revo
    When there will be another "E-Maxx vs E-Revo" thread I will be able to argue with supporting evidence

It seems that a stock E-Revo is really reliable and strong so I think this new project will be less expensive and less long (maybe not...) !!

But I didn't want to buy a stock E-Revo because I already know the options I want and there are lots of stock parts I don't need So I'm buying the stock parts on ebay, and I will buy the - expensive - options I chose when I will have more money...

Here is my first option list (it's a draft of course ) :

RC Champion
    And here are the first stock parts I received :

I know these pics aren't extraordinary for you but for me it's Christmas before Christmas

I don't know when my E-Revo will be ready, but I will post lots of pics of the build steps, as usual

RC Champion
    It looks like you are going to have a lot of fun soon.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow! Thats a suprise. I wasn't expecting you to go for an ERevo! Hope the build goes well. If it's anything like your maxx it will be a big success!

Nice stuff.For me the stock stuff was good enough,except electronics.I have yet to find a single part that breaks on a frequentcy.Building bullet proof shouldn't be to hard.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    I learned long ago if you are building from scratch you save more money buy buying the complete unit and parting off what you don't need vs buying parts even if from ebay, it just never works out. It's almost mind blowing w/ the Castle combo's shipping this week anyone would buy a novak setup.. not that it won't be fun, but for almost the same price there is no comparison in performance. If you can swap it I would highly recommend to.

PS the traxxas tubes are way better than the stock or lunsford parts (push rods and turnbuckles).

PSPS the RPM front axle carrieres (knuckles) are junk... they are too soft and the balls just pop out constantly! The ugpraded steel ring traxxas version or the tekno-rc version are by far the best. If you can't return them make some steel rings (or buy some) to support the plastic around the balls.

Most importantly.. have fun w/ your build!
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-27-2008 at 07:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    yeesssss. i saw this thread and i saw it was by popoxx and i am really excited because i love reading your threads popoxx. your builds are always great. AWESOME!!!!
    Emaxx 3905 FS in the market place.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by trxbeast193
    yeesssss. i saw this thread and i saw it was by popoxx and i am really excited because i love reading your threads popoxx. your builds are always great. AWESOME!!!!

Couldn't agree more. Well said! I think the next installment will include plenty of parts arriving for the build.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    It's almost mind blowing w/ the Castle combo's shipping this week anyone would buy a novak setup.. not that it won't be fun, but for almost the same price there is no comparison in performance. If you can swap it I would highly recommend to.
    Umm.......Whatever
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Champion
    Thanks all for the comments and positive supports

8ight-e : I didn't want to have - again - lots of stock parts I don't need. I have already a cupboard full of useless stock parts... We will see if it was a good choice not to buy a complete stock E-Revo
    As RC Shocker I love my Novak setup, it's a reliable, durable and plug & play system perfects for bashers 35mph is really enough for me.
    Sure I would buy Traxxas optional pushrods and turnbuckles if I bend or break the stock ones.
    I know that some people have problems with their RPM axle carriers. I use them with my E-Maxx and the pivot balls have never popped out So...

And yes I hope to have fun with my E-Revo, it's the goal !! I look forward to comparing the performances of my two MT

trxbeast193 & eemmaaxxxx : I don't want to be a killjoy but I really need more money to buy the parts of my option list so you will have to be patient Me too...
    And I don't know if this project will be as interesting as the previous one because it seems hard to have an original E-Revo. I think it's the weak point of the E-Revo (for those who like building a singular MT of course). Indeed, IMO the best advantage of an E-Maxx is that you can upgrade it as you want, there are plenty of possibilities We will see !

RC Qualifier
    i tihnk i see what you mean about the upgrading. and because th erevo is such a geat truck already it is hard to find the weakpoints. even though it might not be original, i will still watch this thread closely. im sure it will still be interesting

RC Champion
    I received the latest stock parts I needed for my project :

And I received the first options

- Hudy screwdrivers with spare tips
    - Tony's screws
    - Acer Racing ball bearings for rocker arms and my future RPM axle carriers
    - Traxxas heavy duty servo saver spring

Each month I will buy another options, I have a schedule until July !!

And here is my charging station :

- Hyperion Duo charger
    - Powerful power supply
    - SPC 2s2p 8000mAh batteries (I don't know yet how to install them in the battery boxes, I can't close them because of the wires).

Next pics in February

RC Champion
    are the wires too big to fit through the slot in the boxes? I also know that some people run them through the air vents.
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Champion
    No they aren't too big but I'm obliged to twist them a lot and I don't like that. I have to find a better solution

RC Qualifier
    Popoxx, I'm a little shocked that you didnt go with the GorillaMax chassis. It would give you a cleaner look and would allow you to work with various sizes of batteries.

Just a thought. And I look forward to seeing your build, the E-Maxx one was long and detailed and I expect little less.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i would have gone with the kershaw one had it been me

RC Champion
    I have a E-Revo and SPC 2s2p 8000mahs. My wires fit out the hole thing easily. Good luck with your ride
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Qualifier
    Wow just found this thread cant wait to see your build !
    What ESC and motor ? Mamba monster or HV Maxx ?
    And are you planning on a differnt chassis later?
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

RC Racer
    I have an off the wall question. How long does it take to charge one of those SPC batteries from Low Voltage to a full Charge? Build looks like it's coming along. Nice job!

RC Qualifier
    not sure how "low voltage you mean", but when my LVC goes off, it takes about 120 minutes for my SPC 2s2p 8000mAh batteries. (on Onyx 230 w/ Blinky balancer)

The fit for the wires was tight, so i dremeled a little bit off of the chassis/batt. door so it could move a little more freely.
    E-Revo, T-Maxx 2.5, E-Pede, Micro-T, Thundercat 31

RC Champion
    No no no I don't want to be the first one who will test the KD chassis (but why not ? ). I would like to see pics of this one (no drawing) because it looks odd I'm going to contact Dan.

traxxas basher : I will use a Novak Pro HV6.5 of course Reliable and powerful enough for me ! (I'm a basher ).

xhardwarex: I charge these batts at 1C (8A) so 60 minutes is necessary

RC Champion
    popoxx, have you had any trouble with your novak blowing the little power caps?
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Champion
    In fact I don't have a HV Pro 6.5 system in my E-Maxx, it's a HV Non-Pro 6.5 system with the 5mm motor shaft. The power capacitors of the HV Non-Pro systems don't blow. They seem really more reliable than those used on the HV Pro systems. I know it's odd

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by swimstud920
    not sure how "low voltage you mean", but when my LVC goes off, it takes about 120 minutes for my SPC 2s2p 8000mAh batteries. (on Onyx 230 w/ Blinky balancer)

The fit for the wires was tight, so i dremeled a little bit off of the chassis/batt. door so it could move a little more freely.
    I didn't want to say when you charge a dead battery cause I'd have a half hundred people telling me you can't run a LiPo dead. You answered the question correctly. Nice setup! Keep up the good work!
    Just plug it in and it works -Traxxas

RC Qualifier
    A Popoxx project thread. For the E-revo.

Subscribed!

Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx
    It seems that a stock E-Revo is really reliable and strong so I think this new project will be less expensive and less long (maybe not...) !!
    I completely agree and I'm glad you mentioned this. The E-revo is already an E-maxx redesigned to be better. For that reason the kind of mods you do with this and the kind of problems you will want to solve will be different, because you are starting with something that has already been re-designed and re-built to improve upon the E-maxx. For that reason an all alu chassis for example just isn't necessary, you are better off spending money on other things.

Not that I'm saying the E-maxx is bad, but it is less good in many ways compared to the E-revo. It also costs less which is where it shines and which is why it is still the better option for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by xhardwarex
    I have an off the wall question. How long does it take to charge one of those SPC batteries from Low Voltage to a full Charge? Build looks like it's coming along. Nice job!
    Because the batteries are being charged at 1c it will take in theory an hour. This is the same with any LiPO being charegd at 1c because 1c means 1x the capacity. So an 8 amp hour battery (8000 milli amp hours) will be charged at an 8 amp charge rate and it will take exactly 1 hour. This is the beauty of metric units

As it happens though, the CC/CV charge method does not charge at 1c throughout the charge. It ramps up to 1c (or at least mine does), and after about an hour it switches to CV mode. At this point normally the batteries are about 80% charged. To get them 100% charged you have to wait another 20 minutes or so as the final part of the charge completes.

For me i find charging a 5AH battery takes about 90 minutes for a full charge, but it can be used after just 60 minutes, however it is about 0.8AH short. Of course as mentioned the LiPO is never fully discharged so this helps make the charge take less time than it might.

So the answer is 1 hour minimum but longer for a complete charge, and this applies to any LiPO being charged at 1c, which is almost all of them currently.
    Last edited by jtek; 01-08-2009 at 05:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good to me
    I will be puting an HV-Maxx in my E-Maxx very very soon :
    Cant wait till your parts start coming in and you start building and bashing
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

RC Champion

Options of the month !!

Some new stock parts and options

And of course I removed the anodize of the wheel hubs and pushrods :

- Before :

- After :

Next month my roller will be ready I'll post pics of the assembly

RC Qualifier
    why do you take of the anodize? just for looks?

RC Champion
    Yes. I want to coordinate the colours I'll keep silver and blue ones. (I removed the blue anodize of the wheel hubs because I'll use different bodies which won't be all blue).

RC Champion
    That's lookin' great man!
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Champion
    Saweet another Popoxx signature build!! I can't wait to follow this one!

But, please, I'm begging you go with a CC MMM combo! They are the same price! I understand not needing to go 60mph(6s), but for the same price its there if you want it! And the programming options are limitless! With all respect. I've had both.
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Champion
    I'm glad you appreciate my build thread DiFabio42 and Kcaz25 !
    Concerning the brushless system I don't know yet which one I'll buy. The power & torque of my HV6.5 system are great and it's a really reliable, durable and simple system The problems of the CC combo seem to be fixed but I'm waiting for the reviews of the future ERBE owners to decide if the CC combo could be a good alternative

RC Qualifier
    What body do you think you will be running ? Or is that to far ahead to think about ?
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

RC Champion
    It will be a surprise

RC Champion
    It will be a surprise
    STOCK! http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=419028

RC Champion
    Nearly !

RC Champion
    Nearly !
    uhm... Maybe a self painted clear Traxxas body. IDK! O well

RC Champion
    Too complicated ! You'll see

RC Champion
    LOL agreed

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking stock Thats usually what i run because its not worth spending all that time painting up a nice body then destroying it (sometimes ill paint one up)
    Any more hop-ups coming this month ?
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX