RC Champion

Snow Tires (Not Chains, Or Sleds... TIRES)

Does anybody have any recommendations for snow tires?

I am not looking to use chains, just the best tire possible.

Something about using a paddle in snow tells me that it would be tough on the motor and probably not very efficient in terms of traction since the snow would pack inside the paddles and just create extra weight that won't come out unless you shake the truck or get out of the snow for a bit.

Is this at all accurate?

Are paddles the ULTIMATE solution when it comes to tires?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Bis.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    At first I thought the paddle style tire or similar would be best in snow but it is actually one of the worst!! The stock talons are among the best snow tires you can run, slap on a set of homemade tire chains for added traction at the most. Being honest anything more agressive just digs you into the snow far to fast and you end up stuck... unless you are driving on 1" or less or just HARD packed snow, which isn't the case most times at least for me. The only thing that maybe better than the talons would be a wider tire with similar traction (big joe type), PS the talons are better than the emaxx style tire as well from my experience.

I have some proline mashers on order for winter use. Decided against paddles just because it will limit when/where I can use them. I will let you know how they work as soon as I get them.
    Vantage/MMM/1515 Revo
    MMM/1518 Revo
    T-Maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    I have run the Stock T Maxx Classic Tires once in snow so far this Winter, and they hook up great! I recommend them.

BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC poster
    I use ProLine 40 Big Joe as winter tire and really can redommend them. You can gear a little bit higher on hard snow because there will always be some slip.

RC Champion
    Thank you guys. I also thought that paddles may not be the best for deeper snow as well. Interesting to hear these comments.

I would like to hear more.

I figured a wide tire would sink less easily as it covers more surface area as well... I wonder if the strain of the bigger tire along with all the snow that accumulates inside of it would be a harmful thing for the motor though?

sounds like a lot of stress.

I know that ATV's and some other off-road vehicles considerably thin tires for nasty off-road terrain... what can we take from this example?

youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Here's one more link for Snow tires for ATV's:

http://traxms.com/ATV-Tires-Snow_ALL.html

All snow tires...

The RC equivalent?

Imex E/T Maxx Trail Dawg Tires Soft AND Medium

Tons of tires:

http://www.rcplanet.com/Monster_Truck_Tires_s/885.htm
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    If you think your going to strain the motors with wider tires, why not just gear down? Your not gonna be going too fast anyhow. I really think you are wayyyyy over thinking this. First off, the Power to Weight ratio is entirely different than an R/C, so it's hard to compare them. Also, predictably, the truck will since in with skinnier tires, and just spin the tires. My $0.02
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Champion
    I always overthink. It should be my last name.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky8333
    First off, the Power to Weight ratio is entirely different than an R/C, so it's hard to compare them. Also, predictably, the truck will since in with skinnier tires, and just spin the tires. My $0.02
    Fair enough.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    btw, that since was supposed to be sink. >.<
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Qualifier
    No matter what tread pattern you use, you will get a bit of snow stuck in the tread. Key is not to have a real deep tread, or a real tight tread. That way the snow gets flung out as the tire spins. Think of snow like mud, buy a tire that is good in mud and generally it will do good in snow. Wider tires give you more flotation, so that you stay on top of the snow more, like wearing snowshoes.
    You can't take the sky from me.

RC Qualifier
    2.2" Masher 2000s work great on my VXL Stampede in snow (snow does not stick in the tread). The back ones stay perfectly cleared but the front ones pick up a little in the tread because it is only 2wd, not a problem with the 4wd E-Revo.
    Stampede
    Started life as XL-1 then XL-5 now a VXL

Paddles fling the snow out so they don't get packed full and they get awesome traction, but if you are running in deep snow you will likely dig right down. T-Maxx/E-Maxx Chevron tires with every other tread cut off and reversed seem to work really well and you can pick them up dirt cheap.

RC Champion
    I can't speak for snow but soup like mud I found these work great:

Just some stock LST1 Losi CLaws on beadlocks. Kinka like a 1:1 mud bogger tire. Mud sticks to a minimum. Great things about the beadlocks is they they are not vented and seal to the tire pretty tight. No more wet foams.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky8333
    I have run the Stock T Maxx Classic Tires once in snow so far this Winter, and they hook up great! I recommend them.

Funny you bring that up, I'm doing that to, only the new 3.8" versions off teh current E- and "Classic" T-Maxx on Platinum Edition rims.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=446475

Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    I can't speak for snow but soup like mud I found these work great:

Just some stock LST1 Losi CLaws on beadlocks. Kinka like a 1:1 mud bogger tire. Mud sticks to a minimum. Great things about the beadlocks is they they are not vented and seal to the tire pretty tight. No more wet foams.

Never ran them in the snow, but I had the 2.2" versions on my Wheely King and they didn't really impress me in the mud on 6 cells (55t Ingtey and 13/96 gears.) Now the M2K and stock hard rubber Mud Grapplers on 8 cells in mud

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley
    Funny you bring that up, I'm doing that to, only the new 3.8" versions off teh current E- and "Classic" T-Maxx on Platinum Edition rims.

Hehe, ya, I like em. Not the best on road tire, but good for snow! Might I just throw in one thing here, it is all going to depend on the type of snow as well. An inch of really light powder is going to cause a different handling truck than an inch of Mush. It all depends, so it's hard to compare. I like the Chevrons however.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC poster
    Can you use them on the Traxxas Summit

RC poster
    Can you use snow chains on the Summit is what I meant

RC Racer
    There is a guy in the 1/16 forum thats running a sandpaw tire its paddles are really short no room to pack . He says he loves them. Dont know of the maker but if scaled up to the 1/10 should displace the weight enough to work the same as his are for you

RC Champion
    There is always the alternative to take an old set of tires and run screws in them from the inside out and make your own snow tires like the automotive studded version.

just one of many vids, says he is running a 775..

Last edited by 87 GN; 01-31-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    I run paddle tires in the snow on my t-maxx 3.3. They work great!