RC Qualifier

Is this a good Battery To use Its new Venom5000mah

I have had revo2.5R for 4 years and yes lots of upgrades as the wife lets me LOL.. So I have been waiting for this truck, I am not getting for hualing butt around thats what i have my revo3.3 for,. I dont know much about batterys and eltc. I just know Nitro, So i would like about 20 to 30 mins in runtime if that can happen with out going broke,

thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    While I have not had problems yet with mine, most members here do not recommend the Venom NiMH packs. Most will say get the SPC packs.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    o really SPC ya i went to that website just really got lost in there/ and i see the venom has the traxxas end / I could not find any with Traxxas end on that SPC web site. What kind of charger do u use, and what do you think your runtimes are

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you have to get a battery that doesn't have a TRX end on it, don't worry. Traxxas sells easy to assemble ends that you can put on yourself.

My Venom 4200 7 cell pack gets me about 30 minutes of runtime (estimate, never actually timed it) maybe more. Although that's in a Slash, not Summit or E-Revo. And I use a Dynamite Prophet Plus charger.
    Last edited by RustlerRacer16; 11-25-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

You tell spc the type of connector you need. They hand make each battery pack. Great people to deal with and is definately worth the money.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Qualifier
    Sweet thanks for the info going to keep looking around. If you know what is the best batt, from Spc to put in it and not a lop batt

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    If you have to get a battery that doesn't have a TRX end on it, don't worry. Traxxas sells easy to assemble ends that you can put on yourself.

My Venom 4200 7 cell pack gets me about 30 minutes of runtime (estimate, never actually timed it) maybe more. Although that's in a Slash, not Summit or E-Revo. And I use a Dynamite Prophet Plus charger.
    I use the 5000 6 and 7 cell, and the same charger as well. I have been pleased, but if you do get it, keep an eye on it charging, and maybe a fire exstinguisher (SP?) because alot of batteries been going boom lately.
    NOBAMA '08 Welcome to the Greatest Dprsn.

RC Qualifier
    Really WOW... I and i thought breathing in the nitro was bad and now battery Bombs LOL.. So the 5000 should work really good then ..

Venom batteries get mixed reviews forum wide. In my opinion, I would stay away from them for a several reasons. 1) There are many members here who have had bad luck with them, 2) they are poorly constructed, 3) they use low quality cells, and 4) there are better batteries out there for the money.

SPC is a popular battery builder, as noted above, and so is Promatch. Both of those companies are highly recommended in every electric forum on these boards. They also are constructed well, use name brand cells, and have good prices for what you get when compared to batteries from Venom, Team Trinity, etc.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks, Cooleocool What would you put in the summit but not lop batt, and about 20,30 mins run time if it can happen
    I am not buying for a speed i have 3.3ntr for that. For fun in the woods I live in Montana, so lots of hills, trees, rockslides,mudholes trails ETC.
    thanks..

RC Qualifier
    have u heard of maxamps battery its new for 16.4v

RC Qualifier
    If you want a battery that is pre assembled, and has the traxxas plug, as well as like 30 mins of runtime, get this onehttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVHT8&P=ML (you will need two though) and get this chargerhttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCK2&P=ML, as it will charge two packs at a time. You will not be dissapointed. have 4 of these packs, and they are great. STAY AWAY FROM VENOM; They tend to do bad things, which will now be shown in a hilarious, but serious series of graphics.

1. ---------- 2. ----------- 3.

Woah, didn't know I was writing a novel! sorry bout the long post.
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Qualifier
    lol thanks alot, good info to know i think you sold me i have been reading and reading my eyes are going to bleed red, on battery and chargers. I was just reading on that charger as you wrote this lol Looks great and for the money, oya
    Last edited by wesley lapierre; 11-27-2008 at 01:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    anytime bud. you will love that setup.

EDIT: By the way, you are so lucky living in such a beautiful state. went out there twice over the summer. for 10 days each time. 20 hr drive there, 20hr back, each time, but boy was it worth it. Yellowstone WY, as well as jackson hole are beautiful too. I am a wildlife photographer by trade, so I was like in heaven.
    Last edited by MooseDrool; 11-27-2008 at 02:05 AM.
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Qualifier
    o that lol... I am in Plains just about 85 mile from Missoula, Best place on earth if you ask me. and lots of place to drive Rc monster trucks, I just got back from FL had to work there for 9 months, I run heavy Eqment Loader and Dozer.. And I really missed montana So did my 2 boys and wife, We were all home sick,LOL So ya its great to be back in the Rocky MT..
    Last edited by wesley lapierre; 11-27-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Those Duratrax battery packs will be poorly constructed... and they also are overpriced, if you ask me. I'd probably steer clear of the Onyx 240 charger, as well. It does not have the adjustable delta peak setting that most battery builders recommend these days.

I'd stick with SPC or Promatch. Both use the same cells (Ener-G 4600's), so the difference will come down to the price, the assembly methods, customer service, etc. They're both highly recommended here, so you can't go wrong with either.

As for a charger... I really like my Duratrax Onyx 230 chargers. They're not dual chargers like the 240, but they have an adjustable delta peak setting among many other features. I have a review on my website, if you're interested:

http://www.huronoutfittersracing.com/reviews.htm

RC Qualifier
    ok thank you for the input going to check it out right now... Ok On the SPc WEb page which battery should i order 6 cell or 7 and the wire gage says 13 is the summit 12 / So if ya can tell me which ones off that site you got a customer... 230 vs 240
    what i found on the 240

TWO independent outputs, each with identical features and functions.

A small, lightweight built-in AC power supply is great for cramped pit spaces, and easy portability.

Each output offers selectable charge currents of 800mA, 1.5A, 3A, and 5 amps, with auto-trickle.

Each output offers NiCd and NiMH compatibility, with custom peak detection.

Each output includes a unique built-in jack for charging 4-5 cell Rx packs for nitro models, even Tx packs!

Each output includes a custom LCD with blue backlight that shows battery voltage, charge current, time, and capacity.

Each output includes pushbutton controls and audible tones which aid in set-up and use.

Each output includes a backup safety timer which automatically stops charge to prevent accidental battery overcharge.

Each output includes a built-in output lead with standard plug. Adapters are available separately to connect batteries having a DeansŪ Ultra PlugŪ (GPMM3131).

A DC power lead with alligator clips easily connects to many 12V DC power sources.

Solid-state reverse polarity and current overload protection ensure trouble-free operation.
    Last edited by wesley lapierre; 11-27-2008 at 03:35 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley lapierre
    o really SPC ya i went to that website just really got lost in there/ and i see the venom has the traxxas end / I could not find any with Traxxas end on that SPC web site. What kind of charger do u use, and what do you think your runtimes are
    I'm not sure how you missed the battery connector part on SPC website...

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=10

It's in the drop down box, it gives you multiple options for connectors.

Since the Summit is based on the Revo chasis, just pick from here :

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=14 - $114.50/pair

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=72 - $81.70/pair

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=76 - $95/pair
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 11-27-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=BT_EMT]
    Since the Summit is based on the Revo chasis, just pick from here :

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=14 - $114.50/pair
    [QUOTE]

These are the ones I have waiting to go in my Summit. Originally bought for my E-revo that has since been sold for the Summit.
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

The 240 charger might be a dual charger, but it doesn't have nearly as many features as the 230 does. The 240 has fixed delta peak settings (5mV for NiMh and 8mV for NiCd), while the 230's delta peak setting is fully adjustable. The 230 can also charge more battery types such as LiFe, Li-Ion, and LiPo... the 240 can't.

Duratrax has a chart on their website that shows the different features of each charger if you want to see the other differences:

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/onyx-index.html

The chart is towards the bottom of the page.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for all the info going to buy From SPC and 230 Onyx charger

RC poster
    could i get the 7 cell, the ones that cost $159.95 and it still fit?

I have a venom 5000maH and I have had no problems with it, with my slash i get a good 23 min(yes I timed it) runtime on grass with some street time as well.
    Last edited by Sycofirefighter; 11-28-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    yes, I run into burning buildings for fun!!!

RC Qualifier
    I would also recomment the Trinity Reference 7-Cell Battery.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTBX7&P=ML

It's a 5000 mah 7 cell for $59.99 and it gives me about 30-35 minutes of run time with my Rusty VXL.
    Rustler VXL

I would also recommend steering away from Trinity batteries, as well. Some of Trinity's lower-end packs are okay (because they are well priced), but their so-called high-end packs are not worth the cost. They're just the leftover cells that their sponsored racers didn't get. Trinity's customer service has also been going downhill lately, from what other members here have been saying.

RC Champion
    Been quite a few people having Trinity 7 cell packs explode it seems, like Mr. Cooleo says, stay away from them.
    3905 E-MAXX

Yes, the exploding part is also true. I think that has to deal with the fact that Trinity is taking higher-end cells and sticking them in poorly assembled stick packs. They're cramming a lot of mAh into these cells now, so proper battery construction (along with proper charging settings) is very important.

RC Qualifier
    sounds like SPc is the way to go if ya want the best bank for the buck..

RC Champion
    SPC has the best reputation around for both quality and customer service, and ironically the price is often cheaper than some of these stick packs! Trinity you would be lucky to contact a service rep based on others experience. At SPC it's a one man show, well I guess his wife helps too.. lol
    3905 E-MAXX

It didn't used to be that way with Trinity. I own a Trinity motor lathe in addition to several Trinity motors, and I never had a problem with their customer support in the past (as in several years ago). Lately people have problems with them returning e-mails, dodging phone calls,... and if they do get an e-mail, they often get simple one or two word replies! Oh well, I guess. Their loss.

RC Qualifier
    I had an issue my fault with my SPC packs they repaired them for me at what I feel was a great price. Not to mention fast service. Big thumbs up for the Onyx 230 charger. I bought two of them. No complaints at all. User friendly and no false peaks so far.

If you don't mind me asking... what balancer are you using with the Onyx 230s and the SPC Li-Po packs, Koko?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running Nimh SPC packs currently. I just swtiched to lipo in my crawlers though and I just ordered this Balancer.

RC Qualifier
    looks like a great setup to have there KoKo...
    SPEND$$$PLAYHARD$$$