RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Exclamation Need a brushed motor that can take 9.6v NiMH

Can ANYONE please recommend a motor that will work with the XL-5 and safely use an 8 cell NiMH?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Team orion 15t pro BB motor. Very good brushed motor. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXJAJ4
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    Closed end bell motors will actually handle higher voltages better. Seven and eight cell batteries will really wear out a standard 540 motor like the Pro BB unless you gear down quite a bit.
    That's cooleocool's response to my inquiry about that exact motor in the Slash forum. I don't want to gear down any (or much). Is there another option? Do I HAVE to go BL for this kind of voltage?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Weird, as I know someone on here ran the BB on 8-cells no problem. But cooleo knows his stuff, so I don't know what to tell you. I imagone orions method R motors are closed endbell as well?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I believe they are, if by "R" motors you mean the Revolution line. They're cool looking too.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yah, they are cool looking. I am not sure if that is what they are called, think they are just listed as "method R" on tower. Probably the same thing though. Those are not as good as the BB's though; they are slower and you need to change the brushes every 15 runs.

RC Champion
    Going with a 540 motor of a different wind will require a gear change. Without it running stock rusty gearing of 23/86 on a 15-20 turn 540 motor, you will cook it quickly on 8 cells. I pulled an old Reedy motor out of my vintage stuff to run after a titan quit on my truck. I put as small of pinion as I had, but I didn't know the turns of the motor (no marks on the can) and I obviously didn't go low enough. It got hot enough to shrink the lable to half it's size on the can.

I run a 17t speed gem pro motor with mine. Yes I regeared it to 15t. I had run it on a 17t pinon initially, but the motor temps were too hot for comfort. I geared it down to 15 and the temps are in check but the speed is still even if not better than the 550 titan motor. Pinon gears are cheap. If you are concerned with making a big gearing change, don't get a low turn motor. Go with a 17 or 19 turn and start with a pinion 1 or 2 teeth less than the turns. Run it and monitor temps.

550's and 540 motors have different gearing requirements. You can't mix stock 550 gearing with a 540 and 540 gearing on a 550 motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So how can I get around 45mph with a brushed motor?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

So how can I get around 45mph with a brushed motor?
    https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=ORN29035 This and a Super Rooster will get it done,for about 3 runs before you have to change the brushes. BTW with quality handwound motors you can gear much higher,I have a 12t that I gear about 16/87 with mashers and it pulls about 38 on 6 cell. But something to think about,most 540 brushed motors are optimised to run on 6 cell.Dumping more voltage in them will have adverse effects.They will get hotter faster, and wear out brushes extremely fast and you will not see the improvements you do with brushless.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What exactly happens to the Titan 12t on 8 cells? The brushes just wear out? How long does it last? Are there other 550 motor options or anything?

Sorry for so many questions. I really want to keep my truck waterproof and go about 40-45mph.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    You might look at the 550 size Great Planes Electrify s-600 17T motor on Tower. For $17, it's a great motor, and I hear really comes alive at higher voltages like 8.4 and 9.6. I don't know how high you can gear it, but mine's geared 25/90 with no issues - could be higher, but I don't have any smaller spurs, and 28/90 won't fit in the Rustler.

I don't have any radar, no higher volts than 7.2, so I can't give you any speed estimates... Sorry. However, you can gear it higher than the Titan, and it handles the higher voltage better, so I'd say it might be worth getting for you.

(BTW, I hear that Titans on 8 cells don't last long at all...)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Electrifly huh? Got a link? Thanks. Also, rustler, CEN and HPI both make 550 motors, but I am not sure how much they can handle or what their turns are.

RC Champion
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ766&P=7

Just remember that you'll need to grind a flat spot on the shaft, and solder the capacitor on. Relatively simple, if you have the right tools. Also, it's a 19T motor, not 17T. 19T = More torque = you can gear it higher for higher speeds.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    What exactly happens to the Titan 12t on 8 cells? The brushes just wear out? How long does it last? Are there other 550 motor options or anything?

Sorry for so many questions. I really want to keep my truck waterproof and go about 40-45mph.
    The same thing that happens to any motor at higher voltages...the brushes will wear out faster and the motor will get hotter and need to be geared down. I don't think 40+ is going to be doable with a brushed motor and have any sort of life span. A lot of it is going to come down to how much the vehicle weighs. Brushed motors have a limited amount of torque and can only push so hard...so weight is critical. I tried the 40mph+ thing with my Rustler and soon realized a brushless was required to make it happen. Years before I did the same thing with my Street Sport and was successful just because a car is so much lighter. My opinion is that 40mph+ with a brushed motor is only doable with a touring car.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion1024
    The same thing that happens to any motor at higher voltages...the brushes will wear out faster and the motor will get hotter and need to be geared down. I don't think 40+ is going to be doable with a brushed motor and have any sort of life span. A lot of it is going to come down to how much the vehicle weighs. Brushed motors have a limited amount of torque and can only push so hard...so weight is critical. I tried the 40mph+ thing with my Rustler and soon realized a brushless was required to make it happen. Years before I did the same thing with my Street Sport and was successful just because a car is so much lighter. My opinion is that 40mph+ with a brushed motor is only doable with a touring car.
    Thanks guy. I guess VXL is my next stop. Only a few more weeks until Christmas.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

It can be done but not reliably as stated above, generally speaking the more voltage you put to a motor the more potential power it has but where it makes the power is the real concern. My 8cell fully peaked will put out over 12v before power drops down, I have run my rustler on that with a 15t orion sv2 motor and it was pretty darn fast but that was just a few times up and down my street. It may have pushed 40mph but not more than that and I couldn't run it very long. I used stock gearing for that run and it worked fine but I only ran it a few minutes.

IMO the electrifly motor or any 550 motor is going to really slow you down because they don't turn as fast as the 540 motors do, my orion 15t at 7.2v is rated at 29000 rpms so at 9.6v it will probably be 36-38000rpms or a bit higher so that is something else to think about.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    Joly is right. The S-600 will take the abuse without any issues. I've run mine on 3S lipo's for a long time without a problem. Not sure of the top speed but geared 21/86 in a slash on 3S i'm guessing it's well over 40 mph. The Slash begins to lift the nose so I have to back off. it's about as fast on 3S as a VXL is on 2S.

Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    That's cooleocool's response to my inquiry about that exact motor in the Slash forum. I don't want to gear down any (or much). Is there another option? Do I HAVE to go BL for this kind of voltage?
    Posting the same question in multiple threads isn't normally appreciated. We call it spamming. Please refrain from doing it in the future.

With that said, like I said in your other thread, the motor can handle the voltage... the problem is that the motor will wear out more quickly.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=ORN29035 This and a Super Rooster will get it done,for about 3 runs before you have to change the brushes. BTW with quality handwound motors you can gear much higher,I have a 12t that I gear about 16/87 with mashers and it pulls about 38 on 6 cell. But something to think about,most 540 brushed motors are optimised to run on 6 cell.Dumping more voltage in them will have adverse effects.They will get hotter faster, and wear out brushes extremely fast and you will not see the improvements you do with brushless.

I have the Ryan C version on the 12t and gotta say, WOW! Hand wound motors rock!...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    I have the Ryan C version on the 12t and gotta say, WOW! Hand wound motors rock!...

And just bought two more 13t Revolution motors for only 19bucks each! ($60 each at tower) and a 12t mini for my 16th scale tc, only 10bucks!

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Woah!! Should I get one? The only battery choice right now is the 7 cell that I have.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 13t might be a bit much for the stock esc, but someone I know is running a 12t with 7cell on the stock esc... The stock esc is great..

The XL-5 is only rated for a 15-turn 540 motor. Using a motor with fewer turns is not a good idea.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Isn't it a matter of the amp draw, though, cooleocool? If the heatsink on the XL-5 isn't even getting warm from running a 15-t 540 motor, it seems like a 13T might be doable... I guess I don't know just how many more amps that means, though, dropping a couple of turns. Could you give us a rough estimate?