I have had the idea to make an E-Jato for a few months. I recently bought a roller and have finally decided to make it into an E-Jato.
I started it a few days ago. I picked up some L shaped aluminum from Home Depot and started to make a motor mount. After working on it for a little, I gave up. The aluminum was too thick and heavy to work with. I went to work today and I saw we had a few motor mounts. I picked up a Team Associated B4 motor mount plate.
I made a template out of clear lexan and drilled two holes so I can mount the motor plate to the Jato transmission case. I then mounted the slipper clutch assembly onto the shaft. I needed to put a small washer onto the shaft because the slipper plate was slightly hitting the motor plate. With the washer, it fits fine.
After the plate was secure to the transmission, I mounted my gear. For now, I went with a stock Rustler VXL spur. Its a 48 pitch, 83t gear. Then, I mounted my motor, a Mamba Max 5700. To go along with that, I picked up Losi pinion gear, a 48 pitch 25t gear. Everything mounted fine with no problems.
I noticed the setup was not 100% solid. I decided to make a brace from the motor plate to the chassis. For this I used a piece of scrap aluminum. With the brace, everything feels nice and solid.
I am now in the process of laying out my electronics onto the chassis. I plan on mounting my ESC next to the servo and my receiver right behind the servo.
I still have to add a few parts. I messed up cutting my top plate. I cut too close to the antenna mount, so I will be getting another top plate tomorrow. I also want a new set of turnbuckles, I will probably go with the Traxxas red turnbuckles. I will also get black RPM arms instead of the blue. I need a set of tires, body and a battery and it will be ready!
Let me know what you guys think!