Thread: new summit

RC Racer

new summit

do u think traxxas is changing the style of there rc's
    is that a retail sign... OH CRAP!!

RC Champion
    They seem to be moving in a more electric fashion. In the last little while, the ratio of new electrics to nitros is 3:1.
    Last edited by Super Dude; 10-31-2008 at 04:06 PM.

RC Racer
    The Summit will be the only new vehicle in a while. (Yes, I know its based on the Revo, but it is not Revo) Everything else has just been a re-issue in electric or an updated nitro. How many versions on the Revo are there? (Nitro and electric) It's nice to see something new and not just a re-working of an older model.
    Where'd that tree come from?!?!?!?!?!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With that logic applied ho-ju, the slayer and slash are both new as well. Its hard to say traxxas hasn't been pumping out new cars. I mean, revo platinum, new revo 3.3, now blast, slash, slayer, summit, Brushless E-revo, and now the annnouncment of minis? Traxxas can hardly be blamed for being lazy (which I know you where not blaming them for, just bring it up).
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

I think these sorts of things push the other manufactures to do more innovative and creative things. Lights, remote locking differentials, etc... I wouldn't say that they're changing the style of R/Cs per say, but they're definitely helping the hobby evolve.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    I'd agree with that- traxxas releases something new-ish (the Corr type thing has been on the cards for awhile, but Thundertech made a hash of it and lost out), then other companies jump on the band wagon and go one better (rtr vs a proper racing setup if you will) = healthy competition.

However, lets nto kid ourselves- the summit IS an Erevo, the only differences being the locking diffs, shell, and wheels/tires. Its the same chassis, same suspension, same tranny- same truck all bar some tweaks...

Revo = slayer with a different chassis and shorter suspension arms.
    Erevo = summit with above mentioned changes.
    Stampede = slash with a different chassis.

Traxxas arent lazy as such, but they are keen on recycling
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Qualifier
    i agree with that they are just trying to makei cheaper to make parts by consoladating vehicles andmaking their platforms similar to eachother. it is just a way of making money
    Emaxx 3905 FS in the market place.

One of the things that I like about Traxxas reworking vehicles v. redesigning them is that there are already parts on the shelves when the vehicles are released. No waiting a few months for that spur gear, a-arm, or steering assembly component to come in stock. I remember all of the people waiting for spur gears when the XL-5 Rustler and Stampede came out. Tower Hobbies and most every hobby shop had them on order. I also recall reading several posts about the 3905 E-Maxx steering assembly parts not being in stock.

Reworking also gives Traxxas a chance to further improve their products. For example, they improved the magnum 272 tranny case, the drive shafts on the Maxx trucks, etc. I'm a fan of reusing parts... it works well for the consumers in many instances and it works well cost wise for the manufacture.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

There is ebb and flow with Traxxas' production for new vehicles. For a while there it seemed that Traxxas was ignoring the electric guys and only pooping out nitro vehicles (this is about the time the 3.3 came out and they dropped it in the Revo, T-Maxx and 4-Tec). I hope the current trend lasts, especially with their brushless vehicles. I'm betting we see two new electric 4-Tecs soon (XL-5 and VLX)...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    w/ BL and lipo becoming more common and cheaper electric is the new "hot" thing in the industry. it is more versitle and allows for more design and feature ingenuity. not to mention the nitro v. electric reflects society. as a people we tend to gravitate toward that which is the easier, quicker, and less of a commitment. thats why i made the switch time is definitley an issue. although i would like to get a 4-tec 3.3. its all basic business, the more you can use something existing in different ways the more cost effective it is for you business. less time/$$ in engineering, manufacturing, and marketing. plus like cool said the more aftermarket parts are available to the consumer.
    3 Mutts R/C

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    They seem to be moving in a more electric fashion. In the last little while, the ratio of new electrics to nitros is 3:1.
    there will be a nitro summit coming soon nitro will always be around
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3