RC Champion

Improvements to Summit

There's a lot clamor over the Summit not being a purpose built crawler. I know, as I've added to it. People say it won't be able to crawl as well as a purpose built crawler of the same size. Why is that? Clearly the truck's independent suspension sets it apart, but what else? The truck is mostly plastic - is that a big deal? Weight balance? Are there any advantages of an independent suspension on a crawler?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I'd like to hear how some people might improve on the truck (reasonable improvements, not a "tear truck down, replace with AX-10" comment). Most people are content to bash the truck without saying "they should have done this," or "this part of the truck would be a lot better for crawling if they made it this way." I considered making my Revo into a crawler this winter, but the Summit would be a lot easier to work on from the beginning and I'd still have my Revo for jumping and tearing around ballfields when the weather warms up. That said, I would probably already have a preorder in on a purpose built super class crawler from a major manufacturer if one existed.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Champion
    I think it would crawl very good if one was to put small spacers on the bottom of the shock shafts so the suspension when fully compressed down would stop at level hight across the center gear plate and a arms level...another words when you push the truck down the a arms will look like this from one wheel to the other ()------() this will allow the a arms to droop DROP down but the spacers will give the effect of a straight axle more so your a arms don't go up really high and cause the center of the gear box skit plate to hang low and get you hung up on the rocks....This is why they don't like independent suspension on rock crawlers...but if you do as i stated above the summit should work much better for crawling.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    The Summit uses the #5356 LT rocker arms as standard

You can replace them with the #5357 P2 rockers for a lower CG

Ooh.... you still want the long travel with level hight,
    when you compress the suspension
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 10-26-2008 at 04:21 AM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    I think it will be ok from the video but it needs hydrauilics so you can control the front or back to keep it from rolling. like have to sliding switches on the controller and when you are goin up hill drop the front so it wont tip over. but that idea is a little ahead of the standards lol
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Champion
    Ive seen it don with a winch servo on a few crawlers
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    A Maxx or Revo based crawler is nothing new, but to make a true crawler from one is rather more difficult than just shifting the weight balance- the summit just has too much mass too high up. Its a nice trail truck though...

More fun reading:

rccrawler forum

If one were to compete like against like, it would be interesting, but a summit vs a solid axle truck would be a rather one sided competition.
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Champion
    I'm surprised there is no mention of the Summit on that site. Even if they only acknowledged that it wouldn't be as good as a purpose built rig. Maybe I could have dug up more via a search, but they apparently only allow registered users to search.

RC Qualifier
    Allow me:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...ghlight=summit

I didnt read the thread though, since I have no real interest in the subject as such.
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Champion
    There's a lot more objective views about the truck there than here. Most people there are positive about the truck even though it's not a purpose built crawler. That's refreshing at least. The popular sentiment about IS being inferior to SA is strong, but with apparently good reason. I'll wait until the hubbub dies down and I see what other people do with them.

Does anyone else find it odd that the Traxxas promo video shows almost zero climbing? With the exception of the stairs, the truck is almost always desending or going foward over rocky terrain. Their marketing is always excellent, but it's no fun if it only goes in one direction. I also see myself swapping my MMM into the truck frequently to utilize a good drag brake - either that or I'll end up getting a purpose crawler ESC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    I also see myself swapping my MMM into the truck frequently to utilize a good drag brake - either that or I'll end up getting a purpose crawler ESC.
    "Drag brake"... did not know that was available. Cool!
    A new ESC might be a cool idea. But I wonder if you would lose the top end capability with a "crawler" ESC?
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Qualifier
    For all those seeking an authentic crawler or how to turn the Summit into a crawler. Why not buy a crawler?.

RC Champion
    The reason I haven't is that I prefer to buy from a major manufacturer where parts are easy and quick to get. There are no SUPER class crawlers currently made by a major manufacturer.

RC Qualifier
    if i told you i would have to kill you Port neches,texas now time to die
    i could see my self removing the springs from the shocks and making it like the hustler as seen in RCdriver and making it that way thats just me tho

RC Champion
    I would like to see someone make a solid action summit just to see if there is really an improvement in performance.

I think its doable
    1 separate the front and rear from the chassis connecting them with pushrods/ links
    2 run a bar/ beam from one axle carrier to the other to stop the ifs movement
    3 keep the main drive shaft and the springs' base connected to the main chassis
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE