RC poster

Jato Dual Brake Disk

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum, but I've been following a lot of post here on the Jato for months. Ppl like revonitro and forbes and many others here inspire me to make and try new things. I've post this on another forum but were better to post this were it really should be.. here with us jato guys. So here is my first post and mod.. JATO DUAL BRAKE DISK

Here are some better pics I got off the traxxas web site to make a better understanding of what I did.

When all is done.. This it what it should look like.

RC poster
    And here is the rest because traxxas wouldn't let me put the rest into one post.

A closer look.

As you can see, there is no e clip anymore, an extra brake pad and two brake hubs. Just post if you have any Qs. The result: Better stopping power, no brake fade when wet, better brake control. (you dont have to apply the brake trigger all the way to stop it. Kinda like throttle control but with the brakes.)

RC Qualifier
    MMM>>>...very nice. Have u tried the graphite disc and steel blades?? wat do they compare to this or u think that this is beyond anything u can buy. When applying the brakes do u get locked up tires...like can u skid???
    Great effort for ur first post mate keep it up!!
    O.S.|HiTech|RPM|THS|50wt

RC Qualifier
    Job well done dude. I was thinking about doing this same mod, but not exactly the way you did it. Dual brake discs increases the amount of contacted surface area, so theoretically, it should increase the braking power.

You should show a vid of doing a 50mph run and just slamming on the brakes to show if it's effective or not.

For a second though, i thought you were pretty decent at CAD, but then i saw that you copied it off of the traxxas website. I did CAD drawing like that when i was a freshman in highschool (and a freshman in college for my engineering class). I was almost amazed you would spend the time to make the drawing.

Well anyway. Tell us how it does.
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    dude... your almost a genius...
    If you don't like Nitro, you don't like anything!

RC Champion
    even if it don't work.... look at how clean his post was!!!!!! lol
    hope u guys don't ever expect that from me... i can't even spell half the time....
    secondly... welcome to the forum man, glad to have u around....
    and for the mod.... good job, real simple and as stated above.. u have doubled the contact surface so in theory, the brakes should be very ez to control.... not to the point of a 4 wheel drive i wouldn't think but alot better.
    the only concern i possibly see.... without the e clip, isn't the last pad just floatin? i can't realy tell how far the brake thingymjiggy is stikin out from the angle of ur pic... i think i have an extra carbon fiber disc layin around... i'm game.. i'll be doin this when i get home.... along with this do u have any other brake mods like the antenna tube in place of the spring?

and btw... did u paint ur springs blue or are they a diff kind?
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very cool mod! Great work! How does it perform?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    good job man looks nice.......its alway nice to see new ideas.......and welcome
    you can't out run the General Lee!!!!

RC Qualifier
    verry good job on that mod im on my way to do the same thing with my jato. right now i have the ink pin tube with fuel line mod and alloy levers don on mine and i can lock em up with full break so maby this will let me use less break pressure. thanks for the help and keep up the good work. and yes welcome to the best forum around.
    my dad had my cars on a trip

RC Competitor
    Sweet mod man.. very innovative.. Hopefully this will allow us to NOT have to lock up the brakes, locking them up is not the ideal situation, but probably unavoidable with only rear brakes = /
    Nitro=Addiction

RC Qualifier
    i think you should sell that mod to Traxxas!!!

the Jato is a MUST NEED dual brake system

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That looks good! And, another idea, you can use the rear brake hub (5565X) from a Revo:

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    good idea man! nice to see ya thinking out of the box.
    sig edited for content

RC poster
    Hey thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Maxbomb: no I haven't tried any of the other materials because here in Houston, not too many people have jatos. Or I should say not enough for the hobby shops to keep a wide amount of different parts for it in stock. I was really looking into buying some carbon fiber or graphite discs. I just skipped buying those parts and used what I had for the mean time. This mod would lock up the tires at any speed wet or dry. The best performance is on grass and on concrete. Black top makes the tires look up and the jato skids like crazy. So the brakes are "grabby" But on concrete, the tires seem to grip better and allow the brakes to do its job. As for grass, It works the same as concrete due to the fact that I'm running talons.

Redman3: lol! yeah. you'd be surprised. I made those drawings with paint on my laptop. But yes. I need to take some CAD classes to make my life easier. But thank you for your thoughts on my artistic talents!

Forbes: No. The last pad is not floating. you see... When the first hub is slid on to the shaft, the hub pin goes in then the hub is pulled over the pin. Now the next hub is slid on to the rest of what is left of the shaft. Then the two small screws hold the hubs together like a sandwich with the pin in the center. The area where the pin is at is just enough for the pin and does not allow any play. So in short, the hubs are screwed together and the pin holds it in place on the shaft.

Danielhr77: I was so close to using that hub! But I thought to myself, "wouldn't that hub "walk" its way out off the shaft?" Because there is nothing to keep that hub in place on the pin. Unless you glue it some how. I didn't want to glue or JB weld any thing. So now I see that you have it, how do you keep the hub from sliding off the shaft? And also.. That mod with the reversed arm on the caliper shaft is sweet. It puts more travel distance on the shaft thus pushing the clipper block out further. Just be careful that the servo doesn't strip the plastic arm.

bubble27: You know that would be really cool so I could have more money to do my next mod.

Switch_639: ROFLOL! I will feel like a genius if I can pull off my next mod that I've been drawing up in my head. FRONT BRAKES!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh hey, I have seen you on rc universe. I have allways wanted to do the dual brake disk but I never got the money for the extra disk or pads.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am yet to try it, but it looks to be perfected so definitely gona give it a shot when I fix mine up...
    If you don't like Nitro, you don't like anything!

RC Qualifier
    I only have one question. Did you not have longer screws or something? Because i have yet to see a benefit from drilling holes so that the screws can reach deeper to the other brake hub.

I just see this mod being simpler, cleaner, and more durable if you just used longer screws.

Another decent brake mod would be using pen springs to push out the pads, thus lessening unwanted premature brake disc wear, friction, and it helps make the brakes more controllable (not just locking them up).

I did this trick to my Revo brakes, and it turned my truck into a different animal around corners and in the air.
    Last edited by RedMan3; 10-28-2008 at 10:03 AM.
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Champion
    i think by reversing the outer hub (having the screws sunk into the indention)
    locks the inner hub on the pin.....
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    That is a cool idea. But you do know that hot racing makes it right. http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=58791
    JATO 3.3
    Stampede Build
    DeWalt 12v E-REVO on 4s

that's a good upgrade kit. but I made it myself, cost my $5 only...

Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbikedude
    That is a cool idea. But you do know that hot racing makes it right. http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=58791
    Actually Noxide400 posted this idea way before Hot Racing started selling it.
    I religiously scower the internet for cool new parts and I noticed hot racing started selling this just recently. ...maybe 3 weeks ago. He posted this thread in October 08.
    Awesome idea BTW. when I saw it I ordered the parts to do it myself. I got two aluminum brake hubs by GPM , two carbon fiber discs from NEW ERA , and two INTEGY carbon fiber disc sets just so I could use the titanium pads.
    you can imagine my surprise when I saw the that HOT RACING makes it. I bought one right away.
    Some one at Hot Racing is probably keepin tabs on this forum for the next big idea. With ideas like Noxide400's I don't blame them.

RC Racer
    Just finished this mod!!!! I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!!!!!

Awesome Post Noxide400!!!!!!

Jeremy
    T-Maxx was my gateway drug now I am a Jato addict.

RC Racer
    Thinking of doing this to my JAto

RC Racer
    I wouldn't think about it ...just do it. Or just buy the one Hot Racing makes. trust me you won't be disapointed.

RC Racer
    Ran mine for the first time today with the dual brake mod and........I HAVE BRAKES!!!!!!!! Love it works perfectly!!! Thanks again!!!!
    T-Maxx was my gateway drug now I am a Jato addict.

RC Racer
    Working on it redmacjetti.. was trying not to do the work...lol but is inevitable ..

RC poster
    WOW! Its been forever since I've been in here. I have notice that a lot of people have been using this mod. I have been really busy with college for the past 8 months. I thought I'd come back and get some feed back on my mod from you guys since I haven't been here to post my results. I see that Hot Racing has made a beautiful kit from my design. Maybe they can send me one and I can write a review on it. I'm glad to see my work has been of good use. Let me know how my brakes are working for you guys.

RC poster
    can we do a step by step on how to do your mod thanks joey

Quote Originally Posted by Joey32
    can we do a step by step on how to do your mod thanks joey
    just get the complete kit, no need to mod,
    http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=58791
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Champion
    still one of my fav mods ever....
    after he posted this... i did mine.... no need for buying the kit....
    xspecially when i am sure all of you have the extra parts layin around....
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Crazy
    just get the complete kit, no need to mod,
    http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=58791
    Any idea what holds the X hub on the shaft? Or, instead of being slotted on the back like stock, is it just a hole, then the set screw on the end of the X applies pressure to the pin and locks it in... that's probably what it is, guess I had to type it to see it!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Just did the Hot Racing install last week, along with arm and throttle linkage. You got it right. The set screw holds pressure on it. Works like a champ so far.

RC Qualifier
    Bought the stuff to do my conversion tonight. It cost me about $10 at towerhobbies for the pad set and disc. I'll update with results and pics.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey All, first post! Had my Jato a month now! Love it! Hate the brakes! I picked it up form my boss! Rad boss hey?! In the last month I have destroyed 2 front arms, the transfer case(the turn buckle riped it out.) and a front shock.
    I honestly feel this is bc the weak breaks. Well... That and the learning curve.
    I have just bought the parts to do this mod. To bad winter just hit today...
    I come from a successful cross country mountain biking and a very sucsessfull down hill mountain bike racing background.

Rule #1

Never go faster than you can stop!

No one ever posted before and after video should I after the mod?

**Watch the language. Anytime ** replace words you wrote the language filter has removed the words for a reason. Edit them out.**
    Last edited by Double G; 11-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry if anyone has been waiting for a video, not done the mod yet... And video. Well on ice probably would not do it justious. I also just bought the ken block fiesta! !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Helpful. I will do this once I get mine running

RC Competitor
    WOOOOOOOOWWW that guy is smart good thinking hope it goes well.
    Traxxas-WRX

RC poster
    wow that is an awsome mod.noxide400.i was thinking of getting the dual aluminium discs but the over heat and melt the plastic around the brake system.thanks

RC Enthusiast
    thank you for this im gonna name my child after you.