RC Enthusiast

Water getting into tire foams.

My son has a tmaxx roller chasis that was mine at one time . I removed all of the electronics and engine fuel tank and just the throttle servo. He had it down at the lake to play with it on the beach. Well later that afternoon we were swimming and he brought it in the water while I was distracted and didn't notice what he did . So never the less after the swim I found it sunk in about four feet of water and brought it to shore . Later that day when we got back home I had to squeeze the water out of the tires but couldn't get it all out . Now these tires I can't use because of the water in the foam creates a balance problem at high speeds on my other truck.

So my question is does this become a problem with the summit / revo / maxx that are water proof or is there any holes in the rim to let air out ( or water in ) ?

You have to cut a couple small slits on opposite sides of the tread so the water can escape at speed....

RC Champion
    or you can make sure the tires ar glued on really well and cover up the holes on the inside of the rims but this may cause the tires to not preform as well crawling
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Champion
    I found the best way is to run maximizer beadlocks.

They don't have air holes in them. Just give the tire a little squeeze when you asemble it and it will have a proper ammount of give. Kinda like your everyday old pmumatic 1:1 car tire. When bolted down right, they are air tight.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Enthusiast

cut slits in tire ?

Quote Originally Posted by powerslider
    You have to cut a couple small slits on opposite sides of the tread so the water can escape at speed....

My talon tires tore the sidewalls out with just high speed passes, so if I cut small slits in the tire won't it tear? or do you cut them in the tread , how far in?

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk
    Quote Originally Posted by powerslider
    I used a tiny drill bit (1/16 or 5/64) and drillied the tire between the treads, in the center about every 2 inches and that seemed to solve my problem.
    NOBAMA '08 Welcome to the Greatest Dprsn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobigorstayhome
    My talon tires tore the sidewalls out with just high speed passes, so if I cut small slits in the tire won't it tear? or do you cut them in the tread , how far in?
    Right in the middle of the tread is where you want them, 2 @ 180 degrees apart should do it...

RC Enthusiast
    That sounds like that will work . I will give that a try. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    To prevent this in the future you could do what I do, I use a hot glue gun and put a little bit into and over the holes in the rims and had a nice bead of tire glue all the way around each wheel when I glued them. This worked all of last winter on my Stampede and I will do the same thing again this winter. When it warms up outside and won't snow anymore, I pull the hot glue off and it's back to normal (it comes off easy, but does the job during the winter).
    Stampede
    Started life as XL-1 then XL-5 now a VXL