Hybrid View

RC Champion

Something that may be a problem on the summit

This may be a big problem with the summit... I know i liked going through water with my e-max and slash and never had any problems....But from looking at the summit i may have found a weak spot..... If water gets inside the front or rear gear boxes it may cause the lock unit to get dirty and sticky and cause all sorts of problems if it don't fully ingage it may get shreaded to bits! or may not work at all....If a little bit of dirty water enters in by the unit.....

Anyone else see what i am talking about?
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    guess what,after a dirty run,time to clean whit a air compresor!!!

RC Qualifier
    I think a bigger issue will be people trying to lock the diffs on the fly!

Also hoping the 775 motor is more durable than the Titan 12t 550!
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Champion
    I don't think that dirty water would be an issue since there are all rubber sealed bearings all the way around. Plus, who knows (other than Traxxas), they may have already thought of this and sealed these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by fb5b
    Just by the looks of the video, I think locking on the fly is possible. Since all the parts for the locking mechanism are moving in unison. We will know for sure when it finally comes out.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fb5b
    I was wondering about this. I know there is a port on the transmission like the optidrive port on the nitro revo. It is possible that they could use this to see when the transmission is spinning and stop the diffs from shifting. The 2 speed for the e-maxx and e-revo don't have the pieces on the output gear that the sensor sees though. I am thinking that the 2-speed for the summit is different because of the 75:1 in 1st gear. I don't know for sure, but it is a possibility. I would have thought that they would have advertised this, and it would add to the cost. They may have done it as a possibility, but decided against it. We will find out more when the full web page is up.

Now that I think about it, the receiver box is quite a bit bigger on the e-revo/summit than the e-maxx, so they may have left room for it in there. The only evidence that we would see from the pictures is an extra sensor wire going to the transmission, but it can't be seen in any of the pictures.

Now that I think about it some more, the receiver only has 1 channel 4 connection, and there will need to be two(one for each diff). They could have the "opti-drive" (probably called something else) connect to channel 4, and then have two connections for the diff servos.....

I would think this would be necessary. Just imagine somebody stuck with one tire off the ground and the tires spinning so fast that they are ballooning up.......then flip the switch on accident.......then "(series of terrible noises inexpressable with words)"
    Last edited by trx33; 10-23-2008 at 07:17 PM.

RC Champion
    Its going to probably be a really hard diff to repair once broken. That mechanism probably has a bunch of little components.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^ | ||__ DRAGSTER
    |____TRAXXAS ___| ||'|";\..
    |(@)'(@)""*''|(@)(@)***(@)

RC Qualifier
    hopefully they put a users manual out on the internet
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Champion
    they probably will all the other traxxas vehicles have manuals on the web
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am in agreement with you dragster, that is the one turn off to the summit for me, that tranny would be a nightmare to repair. But I am sure traxxas is one step ahead of us.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes