RC Champion

Summit use for racing?

hey guys features like a 2 speed and locking diffs, do you think this truck could be tuned to be a racer. i mean using good race tires and of course a race revo suspension setup. and brushless of course. i think the locking diffs could prove help full in racing, i know in touring car racing xray created the multi diff and it's pretty popular. just wondering what you guys think?
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    wait and see,i will know next if a good racer!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    IMO NO GO For racing with locked diffs....One would think it's going to act just like any other R/C or a 1.1 car with a locked diffs, bad on corners/turning with bad wheel hop..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure this truck could be tuned to race since the suspension will be laid out the same as the revo. You just need to lower it back down. But think you are adding uncessary weight with the extra servos and such to use as a racer. If you're racing I would stick with the Erevo imo.
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by got_nitro
    IMO NO GO For racing with locked diffs....One would think it's going to act just like any other R/C or a 1.1 car with a locked diffs, bad on corners/turning with bad wheel hop..
    The diff's can be unlocked with the flip of a switch. It should be thrown in the truggie class. A locked diff is different on dirt. There are chances that the diffs may need to be locked "open" to make the class, unless its an open class.

RC Champion
    Im not sure the diffs are shift on the fly from locking to not. I woudnt want to be doing 20mph and throw on the lockers. I would assume you need to be stopped to switch between locked and not.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildosvt
    The diff's can be unlocked with the flip of a switch. It should be thrown in the truggie class. A locked diff is different on dirt. There are chances that the diffs may need to be locked "open" to make the class, unless its an open class.
    I agree..^
    It's still going to hop in corners even in dirt with the diffs locked is all im saying, i would think ''flipping'' a switch everytime you go into a corner would tend get to be a little tedious and or redundant. IMO
    Locked diffs are good for going straight. That being said, i cant imagine the turning radius being any better being on a E-revo chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by got_nitro
    I agree..^
    It's still going to hop in corners even in dirt with the diffs locked is all im saying, i would think ''flipping'' a switch everytime you go into a corner would tend get to be a little tedious and or redundant. IMO
    Locked diffs are good for going straight. That being said, i cant imagine the turning radius being any better being on a E-revo chassis.

I never said one should or could lock them while moving but you probably can while going straight. Its just a fact that they are remotley controlled. front and rear individually.

This is my 2cents. This truck is intended for bashing, If someone wants a capable racing rig should get a e-revo instead.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Indeed^
    It's a rover..lol

RC Champion
    well i might try it actually we shall see i've had plenty of experience with locked diffs/ spools and 4wd vehicles. so i might give it ago idk, was just curious i wonder how much more the ruck weights than a stock e-revo without the tires?

RC Qualifier
    Did Traxxas ever specify a speed like they do with other vehicles ? It will be a cool basher But I dont think It could be a racer unless you swapped trannies,in turn youd have an E-Revo.....sort of
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better

RC Champion
    This truck does not make sense as a racer. Most of what you're paying for you'd need to remove. And I'm beginning to suspect that the tranny and diffs would be wrecked by a powerful B/L system (just a guess).

However, I think this truck would shine in an enduro type 'track' and what's great about that (to me) is anyone could set one up. A good dirt race track is pretty hard for an individual to set up. An enduro track could be any surface or mix of surfaces with whatever obstacles you can come up with thrown in. Rocks. Logs. Skateboard ramps. All set up in the yard or driveway. Such a 'track' could also be much smaller than a real dirt track.

What this means is that any two people with Summits can have great racing almost anywhere, any time.

I'd love to see this take off.
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Champion
    yea that would be more practical. i just though that maybe the locked diff option would help on loose tracks thats all just another tuning option.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by N80
    This truck does not make sense as a racer. Most of what you're paying for you'd need to remove. And I'm beginning to suspect that the tranny and diffs would be wrecked by a powerful B/L system (just a guess).

However, I think this truck would shine in an enduro type 'track' and what's great about that (to me) is anyone could set one up. A good dirt race track is pretty hard for an individual to set up. An enduro track could be any surface or mix of surfaces with whatever obstacles you can come up with thrown in. Rocks. Logs. Skateboard ramps. All set up in the yard or driveway. Such a 'track' could also be much smaller than a real dirt track.

What this means is that any two people with Summits can have great racing almost anywhere, any time.

I'd love to see this take off.
    I had considered this for a long time. Imagine a track with a technical infield, small rock pile, the log climb, 150ft straight, and throw in a mud pit .

I think the summit would shine. Goodbye purpose built crawler and truggy.
    Pay It Forward.