Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott
    I think what you could call this, at least in the rock crawling croud is "Disappointment". I really like Traxxas' vehicles and love their tech support (2nd to none!), but I and a lot of there people who have gone over to rock clawling were REALLY hoping the Summit would be the Traxxas crawler we have been wanting and waiting for, that is one reason so many have been trying to meld it into something else. I was thinking about getting one of these to replace my long-in-the-tooth E-Maxx, but the $500+ price tag has me a little gun-shy.
    JMHO...
    Just because they were hoping for one doesn't make it right to label this a crawler and then call it crap.I believe traxxas decides what they will call it and they did not call it a rock crawler.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    I really like the truck. I may even part with one of my others in order to buy fund some of it.
    Get your vote on.

Please point out to me where I called it 'crap'? I didn't call it crap wolf, its just that some of us were hoping for something a little different and that is why a lot of peeps are trying to make it something it is not.
    Rock racing in getting more popular, something I think the Summit was custom made for.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I dunno - those locking diffs and fantastic articulation make it a crawler in my book! Solid axles would have kept it more "realistic" looking, but I think actual performance may have suffered. (JMO, of course)
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

I just cant wait to see one in real world action. I think it is going to be the ultimate trail basher. As was said once already, the jack of all trades (I know I know, master of none, cept for having fun).
    Last edited by hoovdog; 10-31-2008 at 10:16 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy
    I dunno - those locking diffs and fantastic articulation make it a crawler in my book! Solid axles would have kept it more "realistic" looking, but I think actual performance may have suffered. (JMO, of course)

So wrong!!!! You must not have a real crawler . The Summit is not a crawler. Independant suspension is not optimal for crawling.

That being said the Summit is one cool innovative "Monster Truck" that wiil be awsome on dirt, trails, mud, snow, hill climbs but very limited on the rocks compared to a comp ready crawler without "major" and I mean "MAJOR" modifications.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I am looking at it this a way...........

I was going to look into crawling also eventually. Been wanting to also go to a Monster Truck.

The Summit will fill both needs for me as I see it.

It will give me a variety of things to play with, and the get to know and understand a bit about the crawling aspect of things as a beginner.

I like the combo of it all. I may never want to go full bore into the crawling thing, as the Summit could give me both a bit of crawling and a bit of speed at the same time.

A great way to get both Monster Truck and Crawling at the same time and just enjoy the entire package as it is.

I plan to enjoy the ride.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats crazy becuase thats almost exactly my situation wookie!
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie
    The Summit will fill both needs for me as I see it.

It will give me a variety of things to play with, and the get to know and understand a bit about the crawling aspect of things as a beginner.

I like the combo of it all. I may never want to go full bore into the crawling thing, as the Summit could give me both a bit of crawling and a bit of speed at the same time.

A great way to get both Monster Truck and Crawling at the same time and just enjoy the entire package as it is.
    This is the guy that traxxas was thinking of when they designed this thing. Mr.Wookie, you get the medal. Here's a guy who knows what he wants, finds the truck and then says : I plan to enjoy the ride : . Good on you.
    2slashes:bullet:pede:e-savs:custom crawler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VXL Beast
    Thats crazy becuase thats almost exactly my situation wookie!
    LOL

That's a good thing don't ya know.

Enjoy, and keep it fun.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdot
    This is the guy that traxxas was thinking of when they designed this thing. Mr.Wookie, you get the medal. Here's a guy who knows what he wants, finds the truck and then says : I plan to enjoy the ride : . Good on you.
    Thanks for the nice input.

Traxxas has me Lock, Stock, and Barrel. LOL

This hobby is addicting to say the least.

Enjoy, and keep it fun.

RC Racer
    all the guys saying this truck is a crapy rockcrawler.Then just buy a rock crawler.Venom just came out with one with locking diffs just like traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by bosco72
    all the guys saying this truck is a crapy rockcrawler.Then just buy a rock crawler.Venom just came out with one with locking diffs just like traxxas.
    That is what a lot of us did, but we want a Traxxas crawler.

1. We like Traxxas and would prefer to buy their trucks
    2. Part support is hit or miss in hobby shops for most RC brands, but I have yet to go to a hobby store and not see a wall full of Traxxas parts
    3. Tech support
    4. BECAUSE WE WANT IT!!!!

RC Competitor

2. Part support is hit or miss in hobby shops for most RC brands, but I have yet to go to a hobby store and not see a wall full of Traxxas parts
    3. Tech support

I agree 100% with the above. I also think that the Summit will be a very fun "monster truck".

RC Competitor

3. Tech support

I agree 100% with the above. I also think that the Summit will be a very fun "monster truck".

RC Racer
    SO TRAXXAS SHOULD MAKE A CRAWLER - WITH SOLID AXLES. PERIOD. I love the previous quote though - its a "MAN,BEAR,PIG"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    The Revo already does all the above which is what frustrates me so much. Bigger tires and lockable diffs do not a crawler make. You can drive a Revo slowly too...
    There's a difference between pulling the trigger to go slow, (which I did all the time with my revo 3.3 for some rock crawling) and actually having a truck geared for that kinda of thing. Ever try driving a revo over a huge rock? It doesn't work, it's not made for it. No matter how slow you go. The Summit might still need some tweaking for extreme vertical rock climbing, but it's still a nice idea. I mean come on! 4 channels? Locking diff? SAWEEET!!!

I think if you're a diehard Revo fan and never really cared for rock crawling then of course the summit is not for you. Just because it doesn't go fast doesn't make it a bad truck.

Traxxas is finally branching out to meet everyone's "slice of bread".

Kudos!
    XTM X-terminator 2
    T-maxx w/ OS 18tm

RC Qualifier
    Summit is a do it all truck..You dont need to say that Revo and E-Maxx people dont understand that..I dont see how this thread has a point your just saying stuff most people know and are aware of..
    +1 on what Zoomad said...
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

RC Qualifier
    People keep talking about what a drag it is that it "only" does 20. All I'm saying is that's not what it's for. If people were aware of it, they wouldn't keep complaining it.
    XTM X-terminator 2
    T-maxx w/ OS 18tm

RC poster
    what are half of you talking about??

traxxas is trying to get into the cralwer game..so yea its a crawler imo.or trying to be one..

..you say its a "Basher"...but how is someone gonna spend over 400.00 for a car that doesnt even have a decent run speed to bash...you would get a emaxx for that...so that right there would not make sense on my end...

everyone wants somthing fast and thats REAL TALK..so yea you may say it not a cralwer but that what i looks like with the run speed and the lockin of the diff..

and to say you would sell you axail for this is crazy imo..ax10 way cheaper, looks better and i proabbly same speed.
    Last edited by traxxax531; 11-12-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Dunno if I agree with 532, it all comes down to what kind of driving you want to do, that is why I have an E-Maxx, E-Pede, E-Rusty, E-4-Tec, and an AX-10. As far as the AX10 being as fast as a Summit, maybe the Summit in low gear. With a 65T motor, my AX10 trucks along at a blistering 7MPH...

I really wish a traxxas employee would just say what it is....lol
    I still stand with it being a basher. 20 MPH is a respectable speed, not for racing though, unless its rock racing. 20 MPH may not be fast in a real car, but pedal your bike at 20 MPH, and its enough to hurt you in a fall. It isnt a crawler in the sense that it doesnt have a solid axle. The AX-10, in just about every form is about 7 MPH, with some people (seen them on youtube) that push them up to 15 to 20 MPH. As far as everyone wanting to go fast, if that was the case then crawlers wouldnt be around. Not to mention how big the Slash has become at local tracks, in spec racing. It isnt much faster than the summit will be, but people love it. Some people will never be happy though. Give them what they want, and they will just want something else, or say it isnt good enough. If it isnt for you, then just move on, or build it to how you want it. I for one know I will be getting it, and I will love it. Its definitely going to fill the void that I have between my revo and AX-10.

RC poster
    i have talked to 3 diffrent hobby shops i hang around in nyc for their opinion and they all say the same thing

why is taxxas gonna market another 4wheel drive car when they already have 2?...diffrent models.. emaxx and with the revo suspention

so why make a slower car?...ummmm cralwer....

most people when they come into a store want a decent running car/truck and want speed..ask that to anyone..that is wht they want speed..not a SLOW truck...

only a few people are into crawlers and most people in the general wont buy one bcos its slow

so traxxas makes this for the people out there into cralwers but want more crawling speed and look...but the price as i said for a basher is way off IMO...bcos you cant pay that much for a basher when you could buy a better basher for less money..so yea a cralwer.
    Last edited by traxxax531; 11-12-2008 at 02:45 PM.

EDIT: NVM, I decided to be nice and just drop it.
    Last edited by icepick832; 11-12-2008 at 02:59 PM.

RC poster
    what fact sheets? i speak the truth..you wont see any shops in nyc carry this truck just bcos of the price and the speed it lacks..comon a 500.00 basher ...you could buy the e-revo for lower price...

yea this trucks has a diffrent setup to make it go faster but still...even the motor on the summit is used for cralwerin ..and the people at rc.net even say its a cralwer commin out of traxxas mouth ..but you can have decent speed..but i still consider them tryin the cralwer scene out..
    Last edited by traxxax531; 11-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.

RC poster
    comon even the pre video for the summit its cralwin over everything ...

if i take my e-revo over any of that stuff it will climb it..some say it wont even you take it slow but whatever...

when i tell people how much my cralwer cost they laugh bcos its slow and what its used for...how many people out there are gonna be like hey lets get a truck that can climb this rock slower and pay high $$$?

..traxxas is in the business for money, they no what they are doing..no gonna make 2 of the same trucks ethier...
    Last edited by traxxax531; 11-12-2008 at 03:22 PM.

RC Champion
    The Summit as I see it is a "do it all"
    ATrawler
    When my kids and I go playing, we have an old 2 speed E-Maxx and my rock racer
    They both have full time lock´d diff´s and the cost of replacing drive shafts on the E-Maxx would justify buying the Summit

Lock diff in loose sand, dirt and snow
    unlock diff on tarmac
    and training mode in low gear when my daughter drives it
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    man bear pig is a off road extrem truck not a basher not a rock crawler it does it all bash craws and jumps thats why its been given the name man bear pig
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrx794
    man bear pig is a off road extrem truck not a basher not a rock crawler it does it all bash craws and jumps thats why its been given the name man bear pig
    So, can we all just stop calling this Truck the Summit, and call it ManBearPig? I'm down for that.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Qualifier
    Man, so much hatred over a truck that isn't even out yet. For one, a Traxxas employee was quoted as saying that will go about 25, which is fast enough, for most people.

Number two, I had a crawler, comp spec'd and everything, super great at one thing, going very very slow and climbing up rocks that were about the right size. Too big, no go, gap to big, no go, angle not right, no go. It was a hit or miss kind of thing.

Number three, I had an E-Revo, comp spec'd again Super great at doing one thing, going fast, over just about any kind of terrain that I could find, to an extent. Rock to big, no go, rut to deep, no go, mud, water, snow, slush, definitely a no go.

So my point is this. I had two freaking awesome trucks. Both good at doing very specific things. I look at the Summit like this, it will be good enough at both things for me. When it gets dirty, I'm taking to the hose and rising it off. No more brushless, no more lipos, no more fancy dancy anything. I have spent way to much in this hobby to have like 5 trucks that are good at doing limited things. I am coping, happily in fact. So its not fast, big deal. So its not a crawler, big deal. It can do some of both well enough for me, as well as well enough for most people.

You all need to stop getting so heated over what I call "Soon to be the most popular truck on the market." Do I even dare to call it the next "Truck of the Year", maybe???? Take it or leave it, if you want to be a hater, get something else.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FireWire79
    Man, so much hatred over a truck that isn't even out yet. For one, a Traxxas employee was quoted as saying that will go about 25, which is fast enough, for most people.

Number two, I had a crawler, comp spec'd and everything, super great at one thing, going very very slow and climbing up rocks that were about the right size. Too big, no go, gap to big, no go, angle not right, no go. It was a hit or miss kind of thing.

Number three, I had an E-Revo, comp spec'd again Super great at doing one thing, going fast, over just about any kind of terrain that I could find, to an extent. Rock to big, no go, rut to deep, no go, mud, water, snow, slush, definitely a no go.

So my point is this. I had two freaking awesome trucks. Both good at doing very specific things. I look at the Summit like this, it will be good enough at both things for me. When it gets dirty, I'm taking to the hose and rising it off. No more brushless, no more lipos, no more fancy dancy anything. I have spent way to much in this hobby to have like 5 trucks that are good at doing limited things. I am coping, happily in fact. So its not fast, big deal. So its not a crawler, big deal. It can do some of both well enough for me, as well as well enough for most people.

You all need to stop getting so heated over what I call "Soon to be the most popular truck on the market." Do I even dare to call it the next "Truck of the Year", maybe???? Take it or leave it, if you want to be a hater, get something else.
    You could call it the next tuck of the year but me and some others are calling it man bear pig gosh thats fuuny
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

Speed... Remember, this is a big heavy truck, that is powered by one brushed motor. It is likely made to deliver low-end torque vs high end speed.

Three things that I see asked about RC vehicles are:
    1.How fast does it go?
    2.How can I make it faster?
    3.What can I hop-up?

A lot of times you can make a RC faster, but then it is really uncontrollable unless you are just running it up and down the street. Just run it, then decide if you want it faster or hopped up. A lot of hobby shops have RC's (Mainly Traxxas) that you can test drive, if not, borrow one.