Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

people are looking at this the wrong way....

The crawlers dont know if they should claim it as a crawler then you have the bashers i.e. emaxxers who dont even know to claim it as a fellow basher and then you got the racers i.e revo folks, who dont know if they should claim the truck as theirs also claim as in SAME BREED, but forget this truck is so awesome it does ALL OF THE ABOVE!! I think this truck is one of the coolest out there not only can I get it muddy, but I can somewhat race with it or rock crawl with it or bash etc....its all purpose. You guys remember taking tests and you had:
    A: -----
    B:-----
    C:-----
    D: ALL OF THE ABOVE

and you guys knew deep down inside it was D: ALL OF THE ABOVE but didnt want to circle the bubble becuase you were bias towards the other 3 choices well the summit is like that its D: ALL OF THE ABOVE.......a great truck (based on the videos)

RC Qualifier
    Good point.Im calling it a trail crawlbasher .Just saying how I see it as.I bet it will be truck of the year,like someone else said earlier.Because its not relly limited to one thing.I know it will handle good,traxxas spent alot of time and testing on it(most likely).I bet they had the idea back when they were making the E-revo.Im wondering how much this thing will weigh .You know with all the servos & tloc 775 etc it will be the heaviest 1/10 from traxxas probly.I hope they will make new option parts as well.It had me thinking,they made the rims trick(fake)beadlocks.So they could have actual beadlocks as an option.Its a Possibility.I can't wait to get one,but have to.Im sticking with mid jan for release.I called & asked they said early jan.But as ive seen,they always push it a lil later.Probly to make sure enough gets out.
    youre not offroading until you go muddin!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The truck seems more like a ''ROVER'' to me.. I'll just call it a "CROVER"

RC Qualifier
    All I know is that I WANT ONE! AX-10 for sale...
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More

RC Champion
    There OK. I'm not a big fan of it.
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Champion
    The Revo already does all the above which is what frustrates me so much. Bigger tires and lockable diffs do not a crawler make. You can drive a Revo slowly too...
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Racer
    TRX should have made the summit with SOLID AXLES!!! CRAWLERS HAVE SOLID AXLES!!! Im amazed TRAXXAS OVERLOOKED THIS ONE!!!!!!!!! If crawlers had independant suspension, then anyone could put big tires on their e-maxx and e-revo and call it a crawler! A long time ago.

RC Qualifier
    People have been modding maxxes and revos for as long as they've been out (check slaydaddy's pitpass, Revo Rocks Project I & II). Summit is geared towards a little bit of everything, like Jocks Return said.
    I've never seen so many people flaming over a new truck, I like it personally.
    Probably even try to put a few of the parts onto my 3.3 revo.
    You can't take the sky from me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    The Revo already does all the above which is what frustrates me so much. Bigger tires and lockable diffs do not a crawler make. You can drive a Revo slowly too...
    Open diffs will never go where, locked ones can go. It's the same concept as a 1:1 vehicle. Setting up an E-revo with long travels will have similar suspension action. But the similarity ends there. Different motor = different torque characteristics, lockable diffs and a high low tranny make certain its a go anywhere all around fun truck. I'm sure the two speed tranny is geared different then a the Erevo 2 speed option. Tires and gears make a huge difference. Take a stock Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - different animals.
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by revo96
    TRX should have made the summit with SOLID AXLES!!! CRAWLERS HAVE SOLID AXLES!!! Im amazed TRAXXAS OVERLOOKED THIS ONE!!!!!!!!! If crawlers had independant suspension, then anyone could put big tires on their e-maxx and e-revo and call it a crawler! A long time ago.
    I'll take the active locking diffs any day.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    Oh jeeez. The man made a friendly thread to call out the fact that its in a category of its own and shouldn't be labeled under any specific one.... its a "man-bear-pig"

RC Champion
    Again, you are missing the point of this thread. Traxxas is not calling it a "CRAWLER" so stop calling it so. It is a versatile truck. You can climb with it and you can cruise around your backyard at higher speeds with just a flip of the switch. It is an all out basher, made for bashers.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Diculous
    Oh jeeez. The man made a friendly thread to call out the fact that its in a category of its own and shouldn't be labeled under any specific one.... its a "man-bear-pig"
    Its half man half bear half big..........im super cereal

RC Racer
    All I'm calling it is "Mine". Then I can see what it will do next to my e-maxx.
    Where'd that tree come from?!?!?!?!?!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWNLA
    Its half man half bear half big..........im super cereal
    Hahahahah I'm pretty cereal as well

RC Qualifier
    I do not care that all the crawlers used rigid axles.
    I like cars with independent suspension.
    Remember the ads for Nissan Pathfinder independent suspension...

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=o8aCv7K_2Ug

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    I guess thats where you missed the point at my original post your trying to claim it for a certain breed and its NOT.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyMaxx
    Again, you are missing the point of this thread. Traxxas is not calling it a "CRAWLER" so stop calling it so. It is a versatile truck. You can climb with it and you can cruise around your backyard at higher speeds with just a flip of the switch. It is an all out basher, made for bashers.
    EXACTLY......you got the point vs others so many folks come in and try claim it as their own BREED i.e. rock crawler, basher, racer, etc.., but its not.

RC Racer
    Thanks bigdaddy...Im reading all the posts and im amazed how guys think this is a crawler And saying traxxas did such a crap job.I think traxxas did a great job.So guys IT'S NOT A CRAWLER !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyMaxx

RC Champion
    It's a decent truck, it won't do all of the same things an Axial or Wheely King will do because of chassis width, but it looks pretty well set up for most stuff. Will it be a comp rig...no, will it be some form of scaler.....ummmmnnno there too, can it be an all terrain basher that can have some of the more innovative features that can be borrowed for other vehicles....up!

RC Qualifier
    I think of it as an SUV. My toyota sequoia can be driven around town, gets reasonably good milage, and is pretty plush, but it can also be taken offroad, through dirt, mud, rocks, creeks, and more. The summit is kind of the same thing.
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Qualifier
    its an etv an extra terrain vehicle!
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Competitor
    Marion, Iowa where nothing kool ever happens
    call it a brawler (bashing crawler)

Jock, you are absolutely correct. The real truth that people are missing when they apply this half baked crackpot logic (I am being generous here) is that they should be bashing all the other types of trucks for their design failures and weaknesses, which do not allow them to do all the things the Summit can do, and prevent them from being competitive with it.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier

If every body say it with me ITS NOT A CRAWLER! the sooner you people get that though your head the better you will be
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    Jock, you are absolutely correct. The real truth that people are missing when they apply this half baked crackpot logic (I am being generous here) is that they should be bashing all the other types of trucks for their design failures and weaknesses, which do not allow them to do all the things the Summit can do, and prevent them from being competitive with it.
    YES i agree people get stuck on the wrong things the Summit is going to be one of the biggest if not the biggest thing out this year and next year to come
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

I think what you could call this, at least in the rock crawling croud is "Disappointment". I really like Traxxas' vehicles and love their tech support (2nd to none!), but I and a lot of there people who have gone over to rock clawling were REALLY hoping the Summit would be the Traxxas crawler we have been wanting and waiting for, that is one reason so many have been trying to meld it into something else. I was thinking about getting one of these to replace my long-in-the-tooth E-Maxx, but the $500+ price tag has me a little gun-shy.
    JMHO...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Its also a disappointment to the sedan guys who were really hoping it would be a street car.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Its also a disappointment to the sedan guys who were really hoping it would be a street car.
    I think this pretty much sums up all the negativity directed towards the Summit.

RC Competitor
    The difference being that EVERY Traxxas vehicle can/is run on the street and NO Taxxas vehilcles are good on the rocks. The reason the crawler guys are dissapointed is the Traxxas makes great products and this is clearly NOT a crawler.

Its a cooltruck and I'm a sucker and I will probably end up with one anyway but I hope Traxxas comes out with a "REAL" straight axle comp crawler that can be dialed in for true competition performance.

At the rate Traxxas has been dropping new products a "real crawler" could be released by Friday .

RC Champion
    Well, that would have been nice to see

Friday, Eh???? I'm holding you to that JPB!!!!

RC Champion
    I personally think this is going to be the most fun truck to PLAY WITH that Traxxas has ever made. Let's get out of the way the things it won't do:

1)Speed records
    2)Serious dirt track racing
    3)serious competitive rock crawling

That's about it. The list of things that it can do is endless and very different from the other Revo trucks. An E-Revo with long travels and big tires will not climb the way the Summit will with its 75:1 and locking diffs. No dedicated rock crawler will ever be half as much fun as a basher. No nitro powered truck can be (reasonably) run in your den! I think the Summit could be a blast indoors.

So like N-C said, the list of things that it can do that no one else can is much longer than the list of things it won't be good for.

I'm still in total waffling mode about getting back into RC. The E-Revo Brushless really appeals to the side of me that might want to race again. But racing is expensive and time consuming and requires special facilities. I'm not into high speed bashing or doing wheelies in a parking lot. The Summit just seems like the right truck for lots of fun, anytime, anywhere.
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott
    but the $500+ price tag has me a little gun-shy.
    JMHO...
    My concience tell me "no" but I think my 500 bones is as good as gone once this hits the street
    Whacky waiving inflatable arm flailing tube man!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by N80
    No nitro powered truck can be (reasonably) run in your den! I think the Summit could be a blast indoors.
    I almost forgot about electric and indoors. Yes I have tried to run a nitro indoors. 15 seconds was enough for me.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Hey Chicken since you brought up the no sedan thing, could ya tell the parts people to keep the tec parts rolling tillya do make another?

RC Qualifier
    I think this is going to be a great truck for bashers who want to take a truck hiking. I can't wait we have a small state park close by.

As for Traxxas making a 'true' rock crawler. I bet they do it's to popular for them not to. I also bet they come out with a 4x4 Slash as well (maybe VXL).

RC Champion
    I bet what traxxas will do with this truck is use the slayer short aarms on it and put some scale looking 2.2 tires on it and make it look more scale for a scale rig... If they do this it would look more scale and realistic...I for sure would buy the parts to convert mine when i get it...because i think this is what traxxas should have made the summit like in the first place.
    Thanks
    Z....

I agree Chicken, I just bought an abused electric 4-Tec that I need to rebuild, it would be cool to see an updated brushless 4-Tec come out...

Back to the Summit...
    It uses the EVX2 with one motor (770), I am guessing (please correct me if I am wrong), but it should have a bit more run time (compared to the E-Maxx and E-Revo).
    Also, back to crawling, the TQ3 is pretty popular for budget minded crawlers, I have a feeling that the TQ4 will be even more so. I still wish Traxxas would come out with a 2.4 ghz radio (...and no, it wouldn't raise the costs all that much, other RC makers are producing RTRs w/ 2.4 Ghz and they are only about $20 more, which is a small price to pay to not have to deal will crystals and glitching.)

Wholly cow!!! I just found out that traxxas DOES have a 2.4 ghz radio out, it comes with the new E-Revo BL. I really would have expected something like that to be put on the Traxxas home page.

JMHO...
    Last edited by Greatscott; 10-28-2008 at 09:48 AM.

RC Champion
    Jocks and a few others get it. It's not a deicated crawler. It's a jack of all trades rc truck. Not everybody gets into the comp crawling scene. It don't matter if it's RC or full size, sometimes going slow crawling boulders the size of the truck gets boring. My full size K5 Blazer is a "trail truck" not a crawler. I might hit a stretch of rocks on the trail to get to a lake or just on a trail ride, but you won't see me in Farmington, NM or Las Cruces NM for big Rock Crawling comps to watch or compete in. Same goes for RC crawling. I'm just not into it.

I did get one of those wally world Nylint Jeeps for my son a couple of years ago and thought it was cool enough (at the time) to get one for myself. I liked the fact you could drive in hi or low range. It crawled decent on our landscaping that consists of football sized river rocks. But even in high gear on pavement or inside it just wasn't fast enough for my inner speed freak. Plus the turning radius was horrible. I can say it did re-ignite my love for RC and is what drove me to getting Rustlers for my son and I.

The Summit is a neat idea that I think fills a gap that is out there. Sure you got e-maxx's and e-revo's now, but with the lockers and wide ratio change between high and low gears the Summit will do better at the low speed, more technical stuff. The only problem I have is cost. That technology comes with a hefty price tag.