Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanders001
    ......... That's why I purposely chose the ARTR Axial to link for Vendman. .............If you were just talking straight out RTRs I would be very interested in that contest also. The truth here is that you nor I nor anyone that does not work for Traxxas knows what the Summit is capable of doing yet. Its just pure guess work at this point.

Wait now, let me get into my fireproof suit real quick....OK....Let the flamming......begin!
    No need for the fire suit as you do have a right to your opinion. The only thing that I would disagree with the above quote would be when you stated that the CG for the Summit would be too high. Well, since you are using the ARTR Axial Scorpion as an example, I also hear a lot of complaints about the Scorpion's battery placement being too high which in turn makes the CG too high. I am not disagreeing with you about the Scorpion being a great crawler but I thougt the I would just point the battery placement out.

OK now, to my opinion: One problem that I have is that the Summit is still being referred to as a crawler, which it is not being advertised as(it is being advertised as a "extreme terrain monster truck") and you are comparing it to crawlers. That is like comparing apples to acorns. The Summit is, as some have put it, a "trail truck". It is kind of like utility ATVs(which are going or have gone to the IWS(independent wheel suspension)) It is good for going through/over different types of terrain like mud, rocks, dirt, water, grass and others along the trail not just crawling over rocks.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    So, yes, there are available vehicles that will be better at crawling than the Summit. So what? The summit will be better than a dedicated crawler at EVERYTHING else, and that is where the target owner for this truck will be using it. Everywhere. .............and if you don't like it, well, don't get one, but let the majority have their fun.
    I agree 100% with that. I'm not trying at all to take anyone's fun away from them. If anyone wants one of these Summits by all means get one when they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyMaxx
    No need for the fire suit as you do have a right to your opinion. The only thing that I would disagree with the above quote would be when you stated that the CG for the Summit would be too high. Well, since you are using the ARTR Axial Scorpion as an example, I also hear a lot of complaints about the Scorpion's battery placement being too high which in turn makes the CG too high. I am not disagreeing with you about the Scorpion being a great crawler but I thougt the I would just point the battery placement out.
    The battery CG isn't really an issue as just about every serious crawler will find some way to mount the batteries down over the front axle. Axial makes an axle tray for this very purpose. Extra weight should be at the front anyway, so it works great while keeping a low CG.

OK now, to my opinion: One problem that I have is that the Summit is still being referred to as a crawler, which it is not being advertised as(it is being advertised as a "extreme terrain monster truck") and you are comparing it to crawlers. That is like comparing apples to acorns. The Summit is, as some have put it, a "trail truck". It is kind of like utility ATVs(which are going or have gone to the IWS(independent wheel suspension)) It is good for going through/over different types of terrain like mud, rocks, dirt, water, grass and others along the trail not just crawling over rocks.
    I agree with this 100%. The Summit is no crawler, but people keep talking about it like it is. I didn't ask for a Summit Vs. Axail crawling debate. I also think its kinda silly (apples to acorns). They are VERY different trucks. But if someone wants to get into a hypothetical debate about it (which is what it is). Sure I'll join in. Why not? We are all just having fun here, right? At least I hope so.
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Champion
    No debates needed as I agreed with you about the scorpion being a great crawler. I just wanted to point out the battery thing while comparing the 2 trucks as RTRs(no modifications). Though the Summit may not be the ideal truck for serious crawlers, it is still good for those who enjoy climbing over and through different terrain and still have some speed left to pull back the throttle.

....... "extreme terrain monster truck") and when comparing it to crawlers. It is like comparing apples to acorns. The Summit is, as some have put it, a "trail truck".......
    I do apologize. The original statement does sound like I am trying to get into it with you. The above is what I should have used.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Champion
    Don't know why all you guy's are arguing and making a fuss of what the truck is when traxxas tells you what it is in there photos if you just look and read it will tell you....!!

Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Don't know why all you guy's are arguing and making a fuss of what the truck is when traxxas tells you what it is in there photos if you just look and read it will tell you....!!
    But one mans "extreme" differs from another. There is no arguing just differences in opinion.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    I think a lot of people were expecting a crawler after the advertising they had done in the magazines. Some people were saying it was going to be a crawler, but we all know its not. The scorpion does hold its own nicely in the crawler world, the only thing holding it back is its scale.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiblas
    I think a lot of people were expecting a crawler after the advertising they had done in the magazines.
    That's very true and that was why I was originally disappointed in this thread. A lot of us were expecting a crawler. Why even put their add in a crawler magazine when they knew it was not a crawler? That add should have posted in a regular old issue.

I think Traxxas should still make a dedicated crawler. I'd buy it.

There is no arguing just differences in opinion.
    Exactly.
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Champion
    subscribed
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    I doubt Traxxas would make a crawler because it doesnt appeal to the masses. As crawling gets more popular they may eventually come around. I have never built a crawler but have seen some nice footage. I'm wondering if these lockable diffs could be modded to work on a real crawler. Anyone with crawler experience care to chime in?

RC Qualifier
    Suits me, I am chasin a single motor (dual motors are cute but double the cost) waterproof car / truck I can thrash and not get bogged as easily as the Slash.

Crawling? That'd bore me silly!
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Racer
    Speaking from experience about the AX10 and pure speculation on the Summit, the Summit is going to give the AX10 and any other 2,2 crawler out there a fit just on size alone.

If you look at the video you'll see the Summit climbing stairs. The Axial has a lot harder time doing that!

Pit it against the super class crawlers and they are gonna outperform hands down but they don't have the second 25:1 gear and revo suspension to go play and do jumps.

Traxxas made an outstanding vehicle and I'll bet you it will outclass the RTR Axial. Mod this thing like most 2.2 owners and it will do even better.

My stock Axial AX10 RTR sucked until I put a ton of mods in it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiblas
    I doubt Traxxas would make a crawler because it doesnt appeal to the masses. As crawling gets more popular they may eventually come around. I have never built a crawler but have seen some nice footage. I'm wondering if these lockable diffs could be modded to work on a real crawler. Anyone with crawler experience care to chime in?
    Sure you could, it would cost quite a bit more. In 1:1 trucks you have auto gear lockers, cable, electric and air locking mechanisms. RC rock crawlers are heavily modded to do one thing tho and umlocking the diffs really wouldn't yield you anything worthwhile. Put a dig on your crawler and quit at that.

RC Champion
    As I said before I don't think that anyone is doubting that the Summit can outcrawl an AX-10 in most cases - simply out of sheer size. What I think a lot of the more hardcore crawlers were looking for is a super class purpose built crawler. That would be able to tackle more terrain than the Summit in its current form. As it stands there are no major manufactuers building super class purpose-built crawlers that I know of. I was hoping Traxxas would be the first.

That said, I might buy one anyway - maybe a used one next spring.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendman
    Can you provide me with a link to a 1/10th scale rock crawler that you think would out crawl a Summit?
    I have a fully dialed AX-10 and a locked up E-revo and it is not even close on the rocks. The AX-10 is 100% more capable on the rocks even though it is much smaller. I love me E-revo but it is a basher not a crawler and my AX-10 would leave the Summit at th e bottom of the hill. All that said I still want to see the Summit in action and I like some of the new tech but a purpose built TraXXaS crawler would be the shizzzzel.

RC Champion
    I think some are getting hung up that the Summit touches rock crawling territory. They do show it on rocks in the video at least. The thing is that the truck is not a dedicated "crawler". Not ment to be compared to a super class comp crawler or an AX10 or any other 1:10 crawler. It's an electric MT that has some really cool features to run in just about any environment. It's a dual purpose rig, plain and simple. To compare to the full size 4x4 world there are lots of dual purpose rigs that are built. People want to go have fun weekend trailrides and still be able to drive the truck to work the following week. I've got one. My 75 K5 Blazer can run up the highway (even if it is a thirsty pig) and still get me over that 13,000ft peak to the secluded lake nobody ever goes to. Do I want to drive it in boulder fields all day? No. At least not in that truck. Granted my K5 is equipped with solid axles which no doubt is the preffered way to go off road, lots of people still do just fine with Xterras, 4runners, FJs and late model full size trucks. Yes, people do swap out IFS for solid front axle, but it's not the majority due to the expense and complexity of the swap.

The Summit serves a similar purpose. It can go into low range, lock the axles and make it through some rough stuff. When the slow stuff gets boring you can shift gears, unlock it and go shredding in the dirt and hit some jumps. For some that's all they want to get out of it. Others may use the Summit as a stepping stone to move onto a more "proper" competitive crawler with solid axles.

The bottom line is, if you like it buy it. If you don't like it, go buy somthing else. Whining about it not being a "real" comp crawler when it wasn't ever set up to be one in the first place seems like a giant waste of your time. Those who do complain it's not a real comp crawler obviously didn't get the intent of the Summit in the first place.

I think it's a really cool Idea myself. I might have to sell some of my other cars to get one.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    As I said before I don't think that anyone is doubting that the Summit can outcrawl an AX-10 in most cases - simply out of sheer size. What I think a lot of the more hardcore crawlers were looking for is a super class purpose built crawler. That would be able to tackle more terrain than the Summit in its current form. As it stands there are no major manufactuers building super class purpose-built crawlers that I know of. I was hoping Traxxas would be the first.

That said, I might buy one anyway - maybe a used one next spring.
    XTM makes a super class crawler..
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    XTM makes a super class crawler..
    I think what he meant was a RTR crawler in the same size class as the Summit.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Champion
    I think what he meant was a RTR crawler in the same size class as the Summit.
    It's 100% assembled you just add the electrics...it's as close to RTR as RTR gets..
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    RTR as in Ready to Run/Race/Rock-crawl . The "add eletrics" just makes it a ARTR. You have to add ESC,motor,radio,servos(which can cost you more than the truck itself) VS RTR(like The Summt) just add the batteries and your golden.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    Just my .02, I personally think that the Summit is a very good "go anywhere" vehicle. It sort of like the "jack of all trades" vehicle. It may not do one thing extremely well, but to be able to crawl\bash\run will appeal to alot of folks..myself included! Great Job, Traxxas! Keep the innovation coming!
    END_OF_LINE

RC Enthusiast
    True Statments:

Summit is NOT a dedicated crawler, but has a reasonable crawling ability.

It goes about 25 mph in high and about 8 mph in low.

The locking difs are cool

The lights are cool

The shifting trans is cool

Independent suspension is best for racing

Solid suspension is best for crawling.

The Traxxas Summit is a JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE.

So if you want to bash around on the dirt piles then hit some rock terrain, then go again at night, this is your machine. Sweet!

My opinion is that: IF I ONLY HAD ONE VEHICLE THIS WOULD BE IT (maybe with a lipo and brushless added on) Looks great! I got my order in.

Now if anyone adds more MAKE SURE IT IS A NEW IDEA THAT HAS NOT BEEN SAID HERE.

THANKS

RC Qualifier
    To me i think its a bit of a wannabe crawler but then again if trraxxas would have made a real crawler and called it a crawler they would have built this from ground up no q's. To me i think its a great bigginers truck.
    25mph
    electric
    big
    looks cool
    lights the works.
    y is everyone complaining...if ur looking for a crawler go elsewhere.
    O.S.|HiTech|RPM|THS|50wt

RC Qualifier
    so many negative people here in the world. i think what they are doing is great. some kind of extreme off road trail truck they got here. you can do almost anything with it. itll be a great gateway vehicle...

RC Champion
    It's the all the buddies are getting together were going out to play with our RC's for the day TRUCK.....I won't have to pack up a few types of RC's and head out for a day of RCing when i can just bring one that can do it all....SUMMIT and everyone else brings a slow crawler a slow monster truck a fast truck like a t max or e revo and so fourth... I just bring my do it all SUMMIT and have fun doing it all.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Racer
    For every cry baby that wants a crawler with locking diffs.GO to venom racing and place your order.They make one now.Why is no one yelling at traxxas,They were spotted at the quad races.NO QUAD!!! how dare them..

RC Qualifier
    I took my Wheely King to the park today and tried some rock crawling. Lockers are a definate must. After trying some rock crawling though I decided I would try to wrip it up a bit and play in the grass field. It was a bit slow as I had it geared for crawling. Got tired of that then went back to crawling.

This vehicle will do both of those just fine and I can see why traxxas did it. Fast enough to get around in and slow enough to rock crawl. I'm sure it wont win any rock crawling competitions but it sure will keep 99% of the people out there amused.
    Last edited by hemiblas; 11-02-2008 at 07:48 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wait now, let me get into my fireproof suit real quick....OK....Let the flamming......begin!

Edit: just a spelling error
    ur out numbered my friend. traxxas could make a soda can w/a 380 motor and it will be deemed the greatest opinions are like u know wut..everybody has one, just so happens they are kinda biased on here sometimes
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Champion
    it's more of an AT
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Qualifier
    THis is gonnna be a great car like everything that traxxas makes, and when it comes out, we will find out if it isbest for crawling, bashing, or whatever. there is no need for different opinions yet because everyoneis basing it on what they see in a few pictures and sentences about this truck. it has a purpose, and that purpose is to do everything.
    Emaxx 3905 FS in the market place.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    I think the best part about the Summit is that it is NOT a dedicated crawler. The whole focus of this vehicle seems to be bashing. Bashing up hills that 2wd vehicles can't. Bashing through mud that racing vehicles can't. Bashing on trails that crawling vehicles just aren't worth doing, because you can pick them up and cary them faster.

One dimentional vehicles are BORING. Just like drag cars. I'll be the first to admit how impressive some of those are. If I wanted one, I can certainly get one. But they do one thing. Woo. Next.

So, yes, there are available vehicles that will be better at crawling than the Summit. So what? The summit will be better than a dedicated crawler at EVERYTHING else, and that is where the target owner for this truck will be using it. Everywhere. I think Traxxas hit the nail on the head with this one, and if you don't like it, well, don't get one, but let the majority have their fun.

Very well said. I know when I first started in RC (which really wasn't that many years ago) I got sucked in huge. Make my Stampede faster and faster until it was totaly and completely undriveable - its spent more time on its wheels cartwheeling than rolling. Speed runs were fun for a few days then - boooring! I had my E-Maxx so I could do wheelies at any already undriveable speed - converted my Revo to brushless insanity.... it was all fun for a while but I keep coming back to my stock VXL Stampede (running two cells) because of the versitility and ruggedness of this little beast. I think the Summit will be the next step in the right direction with 4x4 and locking diffs on a Revo chasis it will be the swiss army knife of RC off road vehicles being able to do everything very well - maybe not the best in each class but very impressive in each.
    ......would it ever stop raining so I can go play!

RC Qualifier
    I apologize if someone has already vented about this, but I'm really disappointed in the Summit.

Why, oh why did they just slap a few crawling features (and they are not all that helpful for crawling) on an E-revo then pass it off like its some big time Rock Crawler. Crawling is obviously not on Traxxas' priority list or they would have started from the ground up and built a REAL crawler that would be worthy of competition. Take a look at some of the big rock crawling websites if you want to see what a super class or 1/10th scale rock crawler should look like.

I can't hardly imagine the faces of the crawler comp guys if someone brings this "super class" rock racer with all the bells and whistles and attempts to compete with it. At least they'll get a good laugh out of it.

I don't mean any disrespect to the Traxxas company; I love traxxas products and almost ALL of my RC vehicles were made by Traxxas. I just think they took the easy way out on this one. I guess this truck would be good for little kids to play with since it has such a "cool" look to it. Like some other MT it looks like what middle schoolers draw in their notebooks: a tiny body surrounded by huge over sized tires with flames coming out the back of it. I suppose it will have its own following and I say more power to them. Just don't expect this truck to perform on the same level as other crawlers.

OK, I think I'm done. Who here agrees with me? I know some of you have to.

It wasn't designed to be a competition crawler. Traxxas knows what they are doing. They are in the business of high quality high performance RTR's. It was designed to be an all around MT. It has trail speed as well as decent crawling abilities. I think the locking diffs are cool, and I haven't seen that feature anywhere else so I give traxxas promps for continuing to be an industry leader. The lights are a cool addition as well.
    Jato 3.3 RPM arms all the way around, Hitec 645 steering servo, road hawg tires on RPM rims, chassis upgrade soon to come, too many parts replaced to mention. Got my eye on a Revo 3.3, hope to get one before too much longer.

RC Competitor

Just a thought...

The more I read about the SUMMIT, the more I want one. I have always thought compitition crawlers were pointless for the majority of the RC community. The 3906 emaxx (my current rc of choice) has the 2 speed tranny and it is for that reason I bought one and waterproofed it. In 1st gear it "crawls" better then the 3905 or the revo, however, in second (27mph/14.4v) it handles great for bashing. The SUMMIT gives these options to a greater extent. While I would like to see 30mph in high range, the off-raoding capabilities look amazing and the overall look with the revo chassis and dual 125oz servos, Its hard for me to imagine an RC enthusiest that wont want one in thier arsanal. Speed gets old and crawling is boring at the starting line... jumping, rolling, climbing, flipping, mudding, trail-blazing, and tearing through the snow just seems to hold my attention longer. GO SUMMIT.
    Emaxx 3906 (and yes, its purple)