Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Summit, or glorified E-Revo "crawler"???????

I apologize if someone has already vented about this, but I'm really disappointed in the Summit.

Why, oh why did they just slap a few crawling features (and they are not all that helpful for crawling) on an E-revo then pass it off like its some big time Rock Crawler. Crawling is obviously not on Traxxas' priority list or they would have started from the ground up and built a REAL crawler that would be worthy of competition. Take a look at some of the big rock crawling websites if you want to see what a super class or 1/10th scale rock crawler should look like.

I can't hardly imagine the faces of the crawler comp guys if someone brings this "super class" rock racer with all the bells and whistles and attempts to compete with it. At least they'll get a good laugh out of it.

I don't mean any disrespect to the Traxxas company; I love traxxas products and almost ALL of my RC vehicles were made by Traxxas. I just think they took the easy way out on this one. I guess this truck would be good for little kids to play with since it has such a "cool" look to it. Like some other MT it looks like what middle schoolers draw in their notebooks: a tiny body surrounded by huge over sized tires with flames coming out the back of it. I suppose it will have its own following and I say more power to them. Just don't expect this truck to perform on the same level as other crawlers.

OK, I think I'm done. Who here agrees with me? I know some of you have to.

Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Qualifier
    if i told you i would have to kill you Port neches,texas now time to die
    i somewhat agree with tuned shocks better tires and a brushless crawling motor the summit could be more of a "class" crawler but its manily a fun to crawl crawler right now...its in its earley stages right now yall know that right?

RC Champion
    but traxxas didnt post it as a "CRAWLER" just all around MT

RC Racer
    I was just about to say the same. I went back to the Summits pages and never read anything about it being a comp. level crawler. It's more a truck for the areas and terrain that don't require speed but the need for control and lower speeds.
    Where'd that tree come from?!?!?!?!?!

RC Champion
    i think it would be a great truck for at the lake,go bashing in the forest

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasfan1
    but traxxas didnt post it as a "CRAWLER" just all around MT

Yes, you are correct, but we all know that the Summit will be thought of as "that Traxxas rock crawler truck thing". It seems like Traxxas made the Summit for people that don't feel comfortable spending big money for a truck that just does one thing really really well. And like I said, more power to them.

They will have to build a dedicated crawler chassis and suspension for me to take a second look.

EDIT: People here are already calling it a crawler:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=441861
    Last edited by jlanders001; 10-17-2008 at 11:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think it is great! I have my e maxx at my farm today, in the forests of central Missouri, and there are many hills that are too steep to climb, but don't need a crawler. It would be perfect in this ituation, plus, it could still have some decent bashing speed!

This, I may buy, but if they had made a "true" crawler, I would have absolutely no interest.
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Champion
    i think traxxas did awsome job in this summit,i also would have had no intrest in it if it was a crawler

RC Racer
    This truck is not a crawler, it is a replacement for the Emaxx. I doubt that this time next year they will be making the Emaxx any longer. The Summit can be setup to do anything the emaxx can do, plus it has locking diffs for when you get stuck. I can see no reason why anybody looking for an electric monster truck would buy an emaxx over this...

RC Qualifier
    Good point and I agree...this truck is definitely not a crawler!

RC Champion
    "They call it paradise I don't know why...
    Yawn... Crawl it does (and decently although not well comparatively...) It's a trail runner like the RTR Axial Scorpion which has the bonus of crawling abilities.
    Porsche wins 24 hours of Daytona for the 21st time

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Storm
    I can see no reason why anybody looking for an electric monster truck would buy an emaxx over this...

Lets see....

Speed. Power. Aftermarket support. Better upgrade options.

I can only see one advantage here and that is the selectable diffs. Those will be retro-fitted fitted to a Maxx truck as soon as they hit the floor. Is it brushless ready? Does it have different gearing options? Will it perform anywhere but on rough, slow trails? This most definately isn't an E-Maxx replacement. Traxxas will never stop production of the E-Maxx. Thats like stopping production of the T-Maxx. It will never happen.
    I eat children.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Storm
    This truck is not a crawler, it is a replacement for the Emaxx. I doubt that this time next year they will be making the Emaxx any longer.
    You wouldn't happen to have any proof to back this claim up, would ya mate?
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche917
    Yawn... Crawl it does (and decently although not well comparatively...) It's a trail runner like the RTR Axial Scorpion which has the bonus of crawling abilities.
    Ahhh, but does the Axial Scorpion have the ability to race around the track as well? I think not.

The Traxxas Summit is a great concept. I like the fact that if you have some rocks you want to try to climb then switch it to the 70:1 ratio and have some fun but if you want to just race around your backyard then switch it to the 25:1 ratio and hit those jumps at top speed. Heck, I might just sell of some of my other vehicles and just get the Summit for my backyard bashing sessions. Crawl on the various rocks around my pond and rock gardens then hit my mound system for some great air.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Racer
    My curiosity lands with the diffs, i am wondering how long it will be before we have numerous companies making chassis to put the self locking diffs into, just like the stampede, rustler, bandit, and now slash tranny has been. How many of those rollers do you find on ebay with no tranny.
    I love the SUMMIT, i have a txt-1 and its my relaxing truck, i sit in my lawnchair out back and beat the crap out of the hedgerow made up of rocks, and fallen lumber.
    As soon as i get the SUMMIT, my txt-1 will be on ebay, novak 13.5 brushless system and all

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyMaxx
    Ahhh, but does the Axial Scorpion have the ability to race around the track as well? I think not.
    Sure you can. Just change out the pinion for a large one and you are set.

I admit not on the fly though. Of course the Summit wil be the better basher since the AX-10 was not really designed for that. Regardless, I think we all know which is the better rock crawler, don't we?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanders001
    Sure you can. Just change out the pinion for a large one and you are set.

I admit not on the fly though. Of course the Summit wil be the better basher since the AX-10 was not really designed for that. Regardless, I think we all know which is the better rock crawler, don't we?
    It is not as easy as you say. First would be to change out the pinion then you would have to unlock the diffs because your turns would be very wide. Then your speeds wouldn't be much because the tranny is set up for crawling. Plus the fact that if you don't unlock the diffs then there would be a lot of wear and tear on the diffs if you run on the pavement or other hard surfaces.
    Sure, the AX10 is a better crawler but the Summit is a more versatile truck. There is not to much to change to run on all surface just a few flips of the switches. Versatility is something you can bank on.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC poster
    Why does everyone think this thing will race around in 2nd gear? The final ratio in 2nd is a dismal 25:1. To give you an idea, the super slow stock 3905 E-Maxx has a ratio of 18:1. So if the top speed is around 33 in an E-Maxx, look at about 20mph in this thing. Hardly fast. Not even quick enough to be fun. And with the super high CG it will just roll over if you try to turn at a higher than crawling speed. So it isn't a crawler, isn't a racer and isn't a basher. It looks cool. Kids that want lights and an exo-cage will buy it.
    I eat children.

RC Racer
    I have to say ...traxxas did a great job on this truck.It's not a crawler it's for guys that want to go threw water mud and trails.Then put it in the other gear and go around a track.Im buying the blue one.

RC Champion
    I bet ya it would do a better job of crawling that some trucks sold as crawlers if all where stock. ie Cliff Climber, Axial RTR, Wheely King, or 1.18 losi crawler.

It was obviously never intended to be a comp level crawler, but how many people who have axial crawlers take them to real competitions. Most probably do light crawling and the summit will do that and more.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

Quote Originally Posted by OverIndulge
    Why does everyone think this thing will race around in 2nd gear? The final ratio in 2nd is a dismal 25:1. To give you an idea, the super slow stock 3905 E-Maxx has a ratio of 18:1. So if the top speed is around 33 in an E-Maxx, look at about 20mph in this thing. Hardly fast. Not even quick enough to be fun. And with the super high CG it will just roll over if you try to turn at a higher than crawling speed. So it isn't a crawler, isn't a racer and isn't a basher. It looks cool. Kids that want lights and an exo-cage will buy it.
    I rained pretty hard on your one man parade in a different thread. As I said there
    The fact is that most people want to go a little fast and a little slow and get their truck really muddy in the process. This is the ONLY truck on the market that does all that. The Summit is the perfect truck for about 90% of the RC community. If we had to pick just one truck this would be it.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Champion
    I was also hoping for a purpose built crawler. I already have an E-Revo which does 90% of everything (and it does it quickly). The Summit trades speed and handling for maneuverability, but I wonder just how much more maneuverable it'll be.

It'll be interesting to see how it will stack up against a true super class crawler. It's too bad there aren't any major manufacturers making supers. The AX-10 is too small.

I may get one yet, but I won't be first in line like I was for the E-Revo.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Enthusiast
    I apologize if someone has already vented about this, but I'm really disappointed in the Summit.

Why, oh why did they just slap a few crawling features (and they are not all that helpful for crawling) on an E-revo then pass it off like its some big time Rock Crawler. Crawling is obviously not on Traxxas' priority list or they would have started from the ground up and built a REAL crawler that would be worthy of competition. Take a look at some of the big rock crawling websites if you want to see what a super class or 1/10th scale rock crawler should look like.

I can't hardly imagine the faces of the crawler comp guys if someone brings this "super class" rock racer with all the bells and whistles and attempts to compete with it. At least they'll get a good laugh out of it.

I don't mean any disrespect to the Traxxas company; I love traxxas products and almost ALL of my RC vehicles were made by Traxxas. I just think they took the easy way out on this one. I guess this truck would be good for little kids to play with since it has such a "cool" look to it. Like some other MT it looks like what middle schoolers draw in their notebooks: a tiny body surrounded by huge over sized tires with flames coming out the back of it. I suppose it will have its own following and I say more power to them. Just don't expect this truck to perform on the same level as other crawlers.

OK, I think I'm done. Who here agrees with me? I know some of you have to.

If you dont like it dont buy it.

I love the summit, the only thing thats its really missing is the mmm and the 2200 kv motor, and thats what im going to put in to it.

The reason this rock crawler is so good is becase, its can also drive like a normal monster truck, I would love to be able to crawls on some steps and rocks and with a flick of a button go right to insane mamba monster speed...

RC Qualifier
    Just a few thoughts of my own.
    1- Yes, no one at traxxas is claiming the Summit is a true crawler, but many look at it and see it as such. Who's right? We'll only know once a few of us have it in our hands and are able to put it through our trials.

2- With all the options traxxas has out there, and everything on the aftermarket, if you can't find something to your liking, or at least mod a traxxas vehicle to what you want, you aren't trying hard enough.

3- No vehicle off the shelf is exactly what anyone wants in the end. If they were there wouldn't be such a booming aftermarket. Hats off to traxxas for putting this truck together, so much of the technology will be finding its way into so many of our other trucks, I can't imagine it.

Just my honest opinion.

BTW, Nitro Chicken, how many threads is that quote in? I count three so far. Where's it from?
    You can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywerld
    Where's it from?
    Search for that being posted in the E-Maxx forum to find the original post.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Checking that now. Thanks Cooleocool.
    You can't take the sky from me.

RC poster

Show Me

Can you provide me with a link to a 1/10th scale rock crawler that you think would out crawl a Summit?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendman
    Can you provide me with a link to a 1/10th scale rock crawler that you think would out crawl a Summit?
    The Summit is not in the same class as 1/10th crawlers so there's not much of a comparison to draw. Size matters - compare it to a super class crawler.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Qualifier
    I think trying to get some new blood into RC is where this truck will excel. For guys like myself who have been around for awhile it really isn't that big of a deal. When the E Revo came out it knocked my socks off. Pulled out wallet immediately and purchased it. The Summit is a E Revo rework, so it's not as jaw dropping as a brand new design. But like others have said it will be great for kids and some kids at heart...
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Champion
    Just to add: Now see, you are making the people who are hard core crawlers out to be "mean people" which they are not. I know plenty of hard core crawlers(1:1 and RC classes) that are happy that bigger companies like Traxxas and Losi are looking at the crawling scene when developing new vehicles or revamping old ones in R/C. It just brings the crawling scene more into the lime-light. Here, they are already looking at adding a Manufacture Class comp to their lists of competitions for people who are interested in crawling but only have vehicles like the Summit, E-maxx, E-revo and other types of electric monster trucks.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED
    and some kids at heart...
    You have stumbled onto the great secret underlying truth of why this hobby is so popular! Try to find somebody who is heavily into this hobby who is not a kid at heart. Those not-a-kid-at-heart guys build bridges and read tech manuals for fun.

Just to add: Now see, you are making the people who are hard core crawlers out to be "mean people" which they are not. I know plenty of hard core crawlers(1:1 and RC classes) that are happy that bigger companies like Traxxas and Losi are looking at the crawling scene when developing new vehicles or revamping old ones in R/C. It just brings the crawling scene more into the lime-light. Here, they are already looking at adding a Manufacture Class comp to their lists of competitions for people who are interested in crawling but only have vehicles like the Summit, E-maxx, E-revo and other types of electric monster trucks.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Most of the negative posts about the Summit seem to have come from the hard core crawlers (maybe just the crawler wannabes). I suspect that you are right and most of the hard core crawler guys are happy to see what we are doing here even if the summit is not their ideal vehicle.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendman
    Is this a request or a challenge?

Either way, how about 5 of them.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25843

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23788

http://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...=5843&p_catid=

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58405

Edit: Forgot to link one...

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...=XTM145632!XTM
    Last edited by jlanders001; 10-19-2008 at 08:35 PM.

RC Champion
    I just got back from Ihobby and will defiantly say the Summit is one sweet truck. I may be getting one to be my mud/winter/night time beater to keep the e-revo nice and purdy.

It really is an awesome truck, I cant wait to see the mini's in real models next year. They are sweet looking but in a case not to be touched since they are just prototypes.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Qualifier
    Oh man. Sorry about that. It was not my intention to insinuate that hardcore crawler guys are mean people in any way. I do apologize. I just thought they would get an innocent kick out of it.

I like the rest of what you said. The only difference in Traxxas and Losi is that Losi knows how to make a decent crawler. (I know, I know guys - The Summit is not meant to be a crawler...etc, etc.)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OverIndulge
    This most definately isn't an E-Maxx replacement. Traxxas will never stop production of the E-Maxx. Thats like stopping production of the T-Maxx. It will never happen.
    It may never happen but they still make the sony walkman ,
    do you know how to describe a walkman to someone under 18
    "it's what they had before the Ipod"

Sorry! I just think the old E-maxx and T-maxx have had their day.

RC Champion
    "They call it paradise I don't know why...
    Hate to break it to you Jlanders but reality is that the axial will not outcrawl the summit. The tamiya will as will the others but they are primarily unassembled and not even complete. I'd like to see a pile of parts outcrawl a truck....
    Porsche wins 24 hours of Daytona for the 21st time

RC Qualifier
    Ya lets get into a solid axle vs independant suspension debate while we are at it.
    Given the shear size of the Summit I think it will outcrawl a lot of the trucks out there. I think the AX 10 cant tough this thing. Its just too big. Now for the guys that have 1/18th scale crawlers, your actually crawling over pebbles and not rocks. This is one instance where size matters and I think a lot of people will be surprised.

Selectable lockers are just icing on the cake. Will this replace true crawlers, defintely not, but I think it will hold its own just fine.
    Last edited by hemiblas; 10-21-2008 at 10:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche917
    I'd like to see a pile of parts outcrawl a truck....
    I knew it! I was waiting for someone to chime in and disagree with my choices. I just didn't know it would be you.

Well I guess you failed to realize that most all comp level crawlers are not RTR. That's why I purposely chose the ARTR Axial to link for Vendman. We like working with a clean slate so we can choose our electronics, wheels, tires etc. Custom building your rigs is half the fun of crawling!. So you just have to use your imagination and visualize the best crawling electronics and parts completing these awesome machines. Or just go to a pro competition or just look on the bigger crawling websites to see some of the best crawlers out there.

Vendman asked me to link to a crawler that I thought would beat the Summit, so I answered his question. Simple as that. When you are asked for your opinion, you can not give wrong answers.

Oh, and I would put a comp level AX-10 up against that thing they call the Summit any day of the week (even though its 1/10 scale) just to see what would happen. A purpose built truck will always perform its job better than a truck that is "just OK" or "mediocre" with many different terrains (which is what the Summit is no doubt). I admit there may be a few really tall shelfs and ledges that the Summit might get over a little more easily due to its size, but head to head in a competition scored with points like the pros? Say what you will, but my money would be on the Axial hands down!

The Summit's CG is way to high to be an effective crawler. The first rule of crawling is to get that CG down! Way down. There's no way a Summit could sidehill and climb super steep angles better than a pro Axial. It would simply topple over and lose major points. It also is way too wide; it would get hung up frequently. When people eventually try to lower the Summit CG by lowering its ride height it will just make the wideness even worse than it already is. And the last handicap...independant suspension. Nuff said. Maybe a highly modded Summit could do better. I guess we will see eventually.

If you were just talking straight out RTRs I would be very interested in that contest also. The truth here is that you nor I nor anyone that does not work for Traxxas knows what the Summit is capable of doing yet. Its just pure guess work at this point.

Wait now, let me get into my fireproof suit real quick....OK....Let the flamming......begin!

Edit: just a spelling error
    Last edited by jlanders001; 10-21-2008 at 11:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You make a lot of good points. No flaming required.

I think the best part about the Summit is that it is NOT a dedicated crawler. The whole focus of this vehicle seems to be bashing. Bashing up hills that 2wd vehicles can't. Bashing through mud that racing vehicles can't. Bashing on trails that crawling vehicles just aren't worth doing, because you can pick them up and cary them faster.

One dimentional vehicles are BORING. Just like drag cars. I'll be the first to admit how impressive some of those are. If I wanted one, I can certainly get one. But they do one thing. Woo. Next.

So, yes, there are available vehicles that will be better at crawling than the Summit. So what? The summit will be better than a dedicated crawler at EVERYTHING else, and that is where the target owner for this truck will be using it. Everywhere. I think Traxxas hit the nail on the head with this one, and if you don't like it, well, don't get one, but let the majority have their fun.