Thread: LIPO guide

RC poster

Question LIPO guide

Is there a LIPO guide on this forum or another forum... I did a search here to find out more info about LIPO batteries but nothing really came up in the results that I found answered my questions.

What are the differences in LIPOS?

What is a 2c, 3c, 4c LIPO?

What is 4 cell, 6 cell, 7 cell?

What is 2s, 3s, ... 6s?

What is the difference from a 5000mah to an 8000mah?

What are the performance differences between different types of LIPO batteries?

Thanks

RC Champion
    This one is pretty good. Someone sent this to me and I have read it several times....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

RC poster
    I'm still a newbie, but I've been researching this myself lately...

Quote Originally Posted by FST RACER
    What is 4 cell, 6 cell, 7 cell?
    One lipo cell has a fairly standard voltage, wired in serial (positive to negative) the voltages add up. Wired in paralell (positive to positive) the current adds up. You don't need to care how many cells are in the battery if you have the right voltage and the battery fits in the compartment.

What is 2s, 3s, ... 6s?
    s is the number of cells in serial. p is the number in paralell. So 2s 3p would have six cells with twice the voltage and three times the current capacity of a single cell.
    What is the difference from a 5000mah to an 8000mah?
    Milliamp Hours. This is a measure of how much power the battery has when it's fresh, and now long it will last. Any kind of battery you buy has this rating on it, although the numbers are lower with other types.
    What are the performance differences between different types of LIPO batteries?
    More voltage = higher top speed, more current = more torque and longer runtimes. Too much of either can result in more heat and fried components, check your esc specs for maximums.
    Last edited by dskidmore; 10-17-2008 at 02:43 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrolijah72
    Ah! That one answered my question about how to set a variable LVC!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dskidmore
    I'm still a newbie, but I've been researching this myself lately...

More voltage = higher top speed, more current = more torque and longer runtimes. Too much of either can result in more heat and fried components, check your esc specs for maximums.
    where did you get this info?
    more voltage will offer higher top speeds but with a trade off heat! now if you gear down to get to the speeds of what you were running at low voltage you will run cooler and longer. and have more power. low voltage is the other way around but the problem is that you can only have one of the too "speed or runtime" by this meaning if you gear up for speed runs you will have less runtime more heat-loss and pull more amps(i dont know where people get the idea that the more amps you pull the faster and more efficient) wrong!
    lets say you are running 4s lipo with a neu 1515 1y your power output will be 1776 watts (2.4 HP) now lets up it to 6s 2664 watts (3.6 HP)(with gearing repectively) you gain power speed and less amps! now lets play with the setup even more! lets drop in a mgm esc and a hacker c50 9xl on 8s lipo heres the output 3552 watts (4.8 HP)! wow! with a hv setup you cut your amp draw in half and have twice the power! just something to think about

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    lets say you are running 4s lipo with a neu 1515 1y your power output will be 1776 watts (2.4 HP) now lets up it to 6s 2664 watts (3.6 HP)(with gearing repectively) you gain power speed and less amps! now lets play with the setup even more! lets drop in a mgm esc and a hacker c50 9xl on 8s lipo heres the output 3552 watts (4.8 HP)! wow! with a hv setup you cut your amp draw in half and have twice the power! just something to think about
    lets see if I understand this correctly...

I= P/E sooo
    1776/14.8= 120
    2664/22.2= 120
    3552/29.6= 120

Where is the 50% reduction in amp draw that you are claiming?
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    For a given power, increasing the voltage reduces the amperage. In the three scenarios you posted, power is increasing. But, you can see that amperage is staying the same despite the increasing power levels.

So, if you have a ~2000w system, 4s=135A, 6s=90A, 8s=68A. This assumes the motors you select will have the same overall rpm and the vehicle is geared the same.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you would change the gearing respectively, that way you will not overspeed yor motors, damage parts, or have too much fun