Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

I see this and think its cool, but....

Does anyont else see more stuff that is going to break....and be more expensive to fix than normal? Remote diff lockers? People have enough problems with reverse. I guess if they RTM and follow it to the letter it would be good for a while. High & Low speed tranny will make for an entertaining rebuild...thats for sure. Techincally speaking, this rig is pretty BA with all the included goodies, I just know that I'm always breaking something everytime I go out and play as it is, and now with this.......

Okay <puts on flame suit> I'm ready now, FLAME ON!
    50 charactors is hardly enough space

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    all of what you said is true and makes sense... but all of these new tech stuff is the way forward... it will be expensive in the earlier years of production but in time all will be like this... something that will come next is gear changing with the remote yourself when you have enough revs or whatever...
    If you don't like Nitro, you don't like anything!

RC Qualifier
    if i told you i would have to kill you Port neches,texas now time to die
    wow no more revo for me im getting the SUMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Competitor

Summit = Lame POC

Just another $350 monster no one wanted. Ugly body, Lame glue on pseudo beadlocks, independent suspension on a crawler? I am very disappointed in Traxxas. You could have just saved some money on R&D and rehashed the Revo or E-Maxx again and made a Rock Maxx or R-Revo. You took the coolest craze in RC right now and made it Dull and uninspiring for the masses. IMO, thumbs down, way way down!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman_gptx
    Just another $350 monster no one wanted. Ugly body, Lame glue on pseudo beadlocks, independent suspension on a crawler? I am very disappointed in Traxxas. You could have just saved some money on R&D and rehashed the Revo or E-Maxx again and made a Rock Maxx or R-Revo. You took the coolest craze in RC right now and made it Dull and uninspiring for the masses. IMO, thumbs down, way way down!
    Actually if you read most of the posts on this section apparently alot of people want it. But you may want to add some to your $350 price tag.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Racer
    if its only $350, Ill buy it and turn it back into a e-revo. I dig the wheels, they look nice for snow!

RC Racer
    Sure someone's gonna break the locking diffs. Someone will switch over while running in high rear rather than stopping first.
    Where'd that tree come from?!?!?!?!?!

RC Champion

Thumbs down

Whoah, that was rough man.

Dull you say?
    First of all, is Traxxas calling this a "crawler"?
    How often do we see Traxxas following the lead of another company?
    Innovation has gotten traxxas rather far I believe, just look at their track record...

This vehicle has got nothing to do with the standard crawling scene from what I can tell, except the look maybe?
    It does however seem to spark a new interest for a unique vehicle that can do a lot of new stuff not seen anywhere else. But to complain because of the lack of a solid axle? That's DULL.

Front and/or rear locking diffs? From the transmitter? That's not DULL, that's revolutionary for people who DO NOT want a solid axle vehicle that can only "crawl" (literally).

The only point of improvement I believe is the lack of a real beadlock wheel, but other than that this thing is what many people have asked for.

Look around.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Qualifier
    I'm with pacman on this one. The Summit is just a rehashed E Revo. I was hoping for something a little more like the Tamiya TXT-1 but with a splash of Traxxas pazazz!!! Maybe I'll dig it more once I see it for real...
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED
    I'm with pacman on this one. The Summit is just a rehashed E Revo. I was hoping for something a little more like the Tamiya TXT-1 but with a splash of Traxxas pazazz!!! Maybe I'll dig it more once I see it for real...
    Nitro Chicken in...

youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Qualifier
    This response to Pacman:

So is every other 1:1 vehicle on the road. THere is nothing wrong with platform sharing. It reduces cost and keeps things more affordable for the masses. Traxxas never ONCE said it was making a crawler specific vehicle. They said "one vehicle any terrain". THis truck looks like it's going to crawl over a lot of objects that my erevo just drives into. As well as allowing you to click it into open diffs and high for a bit higher speed fun. Things my Axial AX10 can't do. I for one think Traxxas hit a home run with some kick butt features that I can't wait to get my hands on.
    Last edited by Koko; 10-17-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    HPI SavageFlux & Baja-HobbyZone Champ-Eflight MSR

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    This response to Pacman:

SP is every other 1:1 vehicle on the road. THere is nothing wrong with platform sharing. It reduces cost and keeps things more affordable for the masses. Traxxas never ONCE said it was making a crawler specific vehicle. They said "one vehicle any terrain". THis truck looks like it's going to crawl over a lot of objects that my erevo just drives into. As well as allowing you to click it into open diffs and high for a bit higher speed fun. Things my Axial AX10 can't do. I for one think Traxxas hit a home run with some kick butt features that I can't wait to get my hands on.
    well put Koko
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Qualifier
    Funny how opiniated some people are...

I for one see loads of problems with the fancy remote diff locking - can't see them to last. The "beadlocks" are a complete waste and should've just been replaced with the real thing. The 2 speed tranny - another weak point in the driveline.

RC Champion
    I like the thing, because it is revolutionary in some ways..like the availability to lock the diffs and switch to high speed gearing. If I were to build an anyterrain vehicle I would have never come up with that. I do see some complications with rebuilds and replacements, but Im sure when the T-maxx came out ppl were feeling the same way.

500 Buck price tag is a bit much for me, and its electric. (no electric is not bad but i prefer gas..to each his own.) I do feel that I will probably buy a set of tires to go on my T-maxx and also look into whether or not the locking diff will transfer over to a Maxx but I'll let someone else try it first. If the body fits itll go on my Maxx to...I know some one some where will hate it but at least Im keeping it Traxxas.

All in all it is a very cool Idea and I think many will like it.
    Rustler, Bandit, Summit, Emaxx, Rally, and Alias

RC Champion
    well that's just solid opinion. most of the members here really like the new truck, including me . the price will actually be closer to $500. the liking of the new style body is all about personal preference. what some people might think is a hideous pile of lexan could be a beautiful piece of art to others. i do kinda wish that they used true beadlocks, but because it also can be used as a monster truck i understand why they just went with regular rims but still keep the beadlock looks with the outer ring. real beadlocks would probably be a bit heavier and also wouldn't be too great when driving at higher speeds. beadlocks seem like they lean more specificly towards rock crawling. this truck is not just "a crawler", it has the ability to crawl. another reason for using independent suspension. and from the video, it looks like it has no problem with the rocks and the suspension just pulls it over every obstacle. and if they hadn't used it, i don't think would have the same versatility as it does. it's very different from any other RTR model and i think traxxas was very innovative for being the first to create such a versatile truck. when they say unstoppable, they're not kidding. and although based on the E Revo, it still is very different. the E Revo will probably be more prefered by racers now, and the summit will be prefered by the really hardcore bashers who like to climb as well with the "go anywhere" attitude. IMO i say its a very nice vehicle and traxxas really did a great job with it. =)
    Last edited by OM514; 10-17-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Qualifier
    This is my next Traxxas purchase for sure now Unless I break something in one of my 8 other Traxxas trucks.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

Boone722
    Why not wait untill this truck is released before passing bad judgement.Let it hit the stores and the hands of it's loyal customers.Then make a fair and honest opinion on how the truck was produced.

RC Qualifier
    I was Summit, when Summit wasn't cool.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ter+experiment
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

You took the coolest craze in RC right now and made it Dull and uninspiring for the hardcore crawler geeks.

There...Fixed 4 U.

RC Qualifier

Ya I really like what you did to your E-Revo.
    Great Job
    ~Gage~

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinno
    There...Fixed 4 U.

THANK YOU ZINNO!
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

I posted this in another thread and it applies to you as well pacman_gptx.
    You might want to find that thread and watch how you post here to avoid the same fate.

The fact is that most people want to go a little fast and a little slow and get their truck really muddy in the process. This is the ONLY truck on the market that does all that. The Summit is the perfect truck for about 90% of the RC community. If we had to pick just one truck this would be it.
    Flame us at your own risk. I have a REALLY big fire extinguisher.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    OMG give the Summit a chance - For the General masses this Truck may be bigger then the Emaxx
    I know several Noobs that are all over this and i may have to test it out just for the new features.

Plus imagine it with a NEU 1515 or a Novak 4.5 or a ???
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Racer
    GMMWicked- It was cool when you did it I have to second the thank you to Zinno! I do not have a crawler, but from what I have seen you have to build a crawler or mod a kit for it to be a good one. The rtr crawlers aren't much good and the Summit is not intended to be one. It's hard for me to believe how people flake out when Traxxas continues to reinvent the wheel while simply modifying an already succesful platform. I like it.........I see snow mud and rocks in my future! Something I will not do with my BL E-Revo.
    ERBE, Pede VXL, Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    Satire? Although I won't be buying it (yet), it certainly is far from dull and uninspiring. I can think of about 200 adjectives that describe it, but those two are just off base.

RC Champion

Join the club
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ht=rock+e-revo

Looks like that front spool should be here soon so I can try it again

RC Competitor

An open letter apology to all...

... Nitro Chicken, Zinno and everyone else offended by the comments I made about the Summit, I apologize. There have been many innovations in RC made by Traxxas, most of them great. In my humble opinion I felt that more time could have been spent making a far better vehicle. I understand platform sharing is a simple way for companies to put out product, unfortunately I fell for the hype and expected more than what I saw. I can truthfully say that I will not be purchasing a Summit at $500 dollars I feel it is quite expensive and not worth my money for the amount of time I will spend driving it as opposed to charging two packs over and over for 30 minutes of fun. For that amount of money I can get a Stampede and a AX-10 and do both. I'm just being practical is all. Not wanting to re-offend I will end it with that. BTW no one is flaming anyone, not intentionally anyway. When you use words like that Nitro you are fanning the flames, so please...put your "really big extinguisher" away you won't be using it this time.

RC Competitor
    I will go away now, back to my Stampede forum. Thanks for the love.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley
    Join the club
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ht=rock+e-revo

Looks like that front spool should be here soon so I can try it again

Lol, i'm back.
    Sure Traxxas can redeem it self pretty quick. Just want to say that this is a nice truck. When I saw the add at the back of that magazine i though for sure of another solid axle vehicle, then I saw the summit, and got a dejabu my 3905

When I run my summit-wannabe, not knowing how a real crawler would do, but independent front and rear suspension rc's does crawl, maybe not in the 1:1 world, but with this much travel that RC has, no 1:1 will ever have. You'll be surprised how locking diffs and a bit more torque can do. I only see a lack in large vertical climbs. The only thing I don't like is that my truck is very slow, dual 55T and 81:1 reduction is slow, way too slow, and i need allot of room to turn with locked diff. Then it comes the Summit .

But that ~$500 price tag will keep me away for sure. No point in taking that plunge for a hobbiest that already has other RC vehicles and looking for a very specific performance, And not an all in one.

RC poster
    is the shell lexan?
    on the video it looks like a plastic shell like on rc cars at target that is just thick plastic screwed on.

i like the look and idea of the truck but i will be waiting for the next version, as the first generation of almost anything is usually plagued with problems. so in a year or 2 i will definately look at buying one

RC Champion
    I'm guessing the shell will be the same .030" lexan that all other Traxxas vehicles have. The exo-cage seems to be the only difference.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

so please...put your "really big extinguisher" away you won't be using it this time.
    Well thats a huge relief! This darn thing is HEAVY!! The controls are ridiculously complex and the instructions are in Russian.

Thanks for re-stating your opinion in a way that does not to ruffle my feathers!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    this truck litterally put a smile on my face! cmon guys quit bashin it cuz it is a little different cuz a few axles! it maybe be better. but guys seriously everything has a few problems when its the first of its kind! to me it looks really really sweet cuz it can go fast and slow.my only thing is... just a little pricey 500$ dollars. hey nitro could you verify this?? looks like im savin 4 a while? to bad im only 14 haha no income 4 meee but hey i can always shuvel drive ways!!
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Parts break. They take abuse. I'm happy that these cool pieces will be on the market. There's some cool diffs and a new tranny for all sorts of projects. I think the truck is great too. I hope to get one.
    Get your vote on.

RC Racer
    I love it

I have 1/8 buggy and truggy that I race, I am looking for somthing to hack around my front yard and when i go camping (Nitro annoys the other campers)
    this fits the bill perfectly. Parts breaking is part of RC I would not be happy if I didn't get to tool on these things I believe it is half the fun! infact I know traxxas basicly inveted the hobby grade RTR but lets see some Kits

RC Racer
    I think traxxas did a great job.Plus alot of guys don't rockcrawl.What buy that 1/16th losi crawler for that high price.Or some of those chassis that are way more then the summit will be.Plus you keep saying a crawler.No one at traxxas calls it a crawler.

RC Champion
    i'm all for change and branching out into something new, as we all know (those of you that remember me,lol)..... how do you think 2 speed trans and spektrum radios, viscous diffs, carbon-fiber parts, and just about every aftermarket feature (among a LOT of other things) got here in the first place???.....

somebody took a CHANCE

i'm intrigued.... but not electrified, i'll have to try one of these rigs to make a call, as should the rest of the doubters, if you are still un-satisfied, then you have every right to complain........ but only then

moto
    Last edited by motomadd; 10-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    wandering the RC galaxy gathering knowledge

RC Champion
    I think it is fine for someone to look at the specs of a new truck and decide its not their cup of tea or that it is 'dull' to them. But that only makes it dull to them...not a dull truck in general.

I had a Revo 2.5 for several years. Modified it heavily. Raced it at the LHS (I was never any good but had lots of fun). In the end, got tired of the mess, noise and maintanence of nitro. Got tired of always being behind the performance upgrade curve and pretty much dropped out of racing and then sold the Revo.

But the RC bug is still alive and I've just been waiting for the right truck, for something like the E-Revo. But, for whatever reason the E-Revo did not inspire me enough to buy. I'm not a high speed basher type and have no bashing area for super fast trucks.

Then the Summit came out. I wasn't expecting it or looking for it. But for someone like me, it makes sense. I don't need a track or wide open spaces to have fun with it. I'm not looking for something to go 50mph. I can drive it anywhere. Heck, with those low gears I can drive it in my house if I want to! Drive it in the woods. Drive it in the mud and do some rock crawling if I want to. And no, a dedicated rock crawler doesn't appeal to me.

As for the body, who cares? I've never liked a stock body on any RC I've ever owned. I'll tear it up and then put one that I like on it.

So now I'm kind of jazzed about RC again. I'd prefer it brushless (the E-Revo too) but that can be done later once I tear the Titan up. I'm a little concerned that Traxxas doesn't hype the 'brushless ready' aspect the way they do with the E-Revo. Anyone know if the Summit's drive train will be robust enough for brushless?

Anyway, I don't have the cash now, but this truck might inspire me to save a little money up for one!
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by N80
    I think it is fine for someone to look at the specs of a new truck and decide its not their cup of tea or that it is 'dull' to them. But that only makes it dull to them...not a dull truck in general.

I had a Revo 2.5 for several years. Modified it heavily. Raced it at the LHS (I was never any good but had lots of fun). In the end, got tired of the mess, noise and maintanence of nitro. Got tired of always being behind the performance upgrade curve and pretty much dropped out of racing and then sold the Revo.

But the RC bug is still alive and I've just been waiting for the right truck, for something like the E-Revo. But, for whatever reason the E-Revo did not inspire me enough to buy. I'm not a high speed basher type and have no bashing area for super fast trucks.

Then the Summit came out. I wasn't expecting it or looking for it. But for someone like me, it makes sense. I don't need a track or wide open spaces to have fun with it. I'm not looking for something to go 50mph. I can drive it anywhere. Heck, with those low gears I can drive it in my house if I want to! Drive it in the woods. Drive it in the mud and do some rock crawling if I want to. And no, a dedicated rock crawler doesn't appeal to me.

As for the body, who cares? I've never liked a stock body on any RC I've ever owned. I'll tear it up and then put one that I like on it.

So now I'm kind of jazzed about RC again. I'd prefer it brushless (the E-Revo too) but that can be done later once I tear the Titan up. I'm a little concerned that Traxxas doesn't hype the 'brushless ready' aspect the way they do with the E-Revo. Anyone know if the Summit's drive train will be robust enough for brushless?
    That was a cool story. Amen brotha.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Qualifier
    Dude, your sig rocks!