RC Competitor

precautions for driving in snow.. winterfun !:)

hi guys..

what precautions do you guys take (if any at all) when driving in snow? thinking about the electronics and the like.. got the novak 6.5 hv pro system.

i live in cold norway, and driving on snow with my real truck i the funniest thing i know.. if driving a brushless e-revo on snow would be half the fun?.. im set for days..

RC Qualifier
    is that system waterproof?
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

RC Qualifier
    Other than drilling holes in the tyres as explained in the manual the truck itself needs almost no preparation. Just clean it and spray it all over with wd40 before use.

The ESC, batteries and motor will be a problem. NiMH will be fine as long as they dry out quickly afterwards. You may have to puncture the shrinkrap to allow the moisture to escape, but i find just charging them evaporates most of the moisture. As for Lipos i don't yet know.

The HVpro is not water resistant in any way according to Novaks website, and its hard to see what you could do to waterproof it. Since it's very cold you may find the heat issues normally associated with covering it with a baloon or bag don't materialise. For the motor, probbaly just put some grease around the end-bell, input shaft and any mounting holes showing. I'd like to hear what others have to say regarding putting grease or wd40 inside... would this have any negative effects?

You also need some preparation, which is to ensure you have read the wet running section of the manual

RC Qualifier
    editis your back tire flat? I cant wait for snow to get here, a month or so and itll be snowing Midwest ftw.

OT: Be carefull with that novak, i dont think its waterproof, so maybe cover it will something. (thats why i was going to get gas)
    Last edited by hoovdog; 10-15-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmate
    is your back tire flat? I cant wait for snow to get here, a month or so and itll be snowing Midwest ftw.

OT: Be carefull with that novak, i dont think its waterproof, so maybe cover it will something. (thats why i was going to get gas)
    it never snows here so i wouldent know. it has once in the last 2 years. no novaks are not water proof! i would use the evx 2 and the kershaw 700ho conversion kit for snow.

RC Qualifier
    Yea tbh my titans are edit, they are getting really hot(traxxas geared them wrong lol) so yea a HO would be nice to pick up along with some lipos. snow is awesome tbh.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    im running a single 970 through water (went fine) but i got my smart stop wet! wonder what will happen tomorrow when it drys out?

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention a trick that worked for the 3906 E-Maxx. Go get a shower cap for like $2 and stretch it over the top of the truck. It will cover the motor and ESC and should provide enough coverage to be sufficient.

As for the LiPos, just through a balloon over them, or even better, a condom, as its the right shape. Zip tie the end of it closed and you should be good to go on that, just remember to keep the balance taps protected.

I'll do some testing this winter, or keep me posted so that I can know ahead of time, as winter is just about 3 months away.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    real good solution is there anything they cant do? get the largest size for the lipos

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FireWire79
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention a trick that worked for the 3906 E-Maxx. Go get a shower cap for like $2 and stretch it over the top of the truck. It will cover the motor and ESC and should provide enough coverage to be sufficient.

As for the LiPos, just through a balloon over them, or even better, a condom, as its the right shape. Zip tie the end of it closed and you should be good to go on that, just remember to keep the balance taps protected.

I'll do some testing this winter, or keep me posted so that I can know ahead of time, as winter is just about 3 months away.
    Over the body or where? Pics would help us all a ton....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buljo
    hi guys..

what precautions do you guys take (if any at all) when driving in snow? thinking about the electronics and the like.. got the novak 6.5 hv pro system.

i live in cold norway, and driving on snow with my real truck i the funniest thing i know.. if driving a brushless e-revo on snow would be half the fun?.. im set for days..
    I tape my rims so my foams won't get soaked with water when it melts.Idk about the novak system.Never got to use a BL system in snow.You won't have to worry about ur reciever if you have the factory e-revo.Servos should be ok.Theyres some people that make a box for their non-waterproof escs.Usualy made of plexi sheets.What kind of batts are u using?If youre using lipos are they hard case or shrink?
    youre not offroading until you go muddin!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmate
    ***** is your back tire flat? I cant wait for snow to get here, a month or so and itll be snowing Midwest ftw.

He's probably running low psi for the snow, in snow the more surface area the better, so if you run them low then you have more surface area and will stay ontop of the snow easier.
    Rustler VXL, all FLM and RPM!

RC Competitor
    it aint flat, as yammyboy sais, you have to let air out to be able to float on top of the snow.. i go as low as 3psi when the snow is very dry/powder. and up to 8psi if the snow is wet and i want to go past 50mph..

i run hard cased lipos. taping the air-inlet holes to the batteryes strikes me as a good idea. also a shower cap/condoms are noted.. but wd40??

but the misses might get a tad suspicious for me buying condoms for my e-revo.. lol