Thread: So I was bored

RC Qualifier

So I was bored

Well I'm home sick with the flu or food poisoning and I got bored so I snapped some pics of my erevo.

Was gonna dye the chassis black but as I was sick yesterday I didnt have a chance to grab any rit dye oh well.

Also since I've been waiting for 1515/1y/f for about a week now I've had a bunch of time to get it ready for brushless. Man this is an expensive hobby. more expensive than my paintball addiction. I think I pretty well blew my original budget right out the window....

I opted to go for the trakpower LiPoly packs

This presented me with another problem though. How was I going to hook up the battery leads. I borrowed a couple ideas from longbills build with a little take of my own.

I didnt like the way the 4mm bullet connectors hooked up so I went with the biggest ones my LHS has some venom 5.5mm

Taking the leads out the battery vents did have its own challenges. I needed to slightly modify the vents themselves as they were a little tight to the shrink tubing on the wires. The side of the battery box was also tight so I ground away some of the plastic

the little cutouts gave me just the clearance I needed while still not being visible when they're installed

Im running 4s so I shouldnt have much issues with the MMMv2?

While I was taking it apart to see how to get at the chassis without pull the front and rear assemblies right apart I noticed a couple of things that made me go ***.

first

Notice anything? perhaps the lack of screws holding the steering stop inplace.

Its not like they fell out either.

Heres a picture of the mounting hole for the steering stop. notice the lack of threads or any evidence there was a screw ever in it

Sent traxxas an email about that on Sunday. still waiting for a reply.

This next one I don't even know how I did it but here ya go:

Thats the rear bulk head L/H side cracked right through.

Oh I was really bored on Saturday and I decided to hook one of the titans back up to the truck and run it through the MMM. Took it out to the alley, did a couple passes. did a couple wheelies and then managed to endo it. Tried to do it again, Then I noticed the magic smoke coming outta the motor. That what I get for my impatience I guess.

Was hoping my motor would be here today and I would have something to do while sick but thats not looking to good right now. mailman came already and no package. Might need to take tomorow off too....

RC Qualifier
    Can you get the betteries out without removing the vent? I'm interested to see how well the trakpowers fit.
    I suppose the rear vent isn't technically necessary as it's the front one that picks up the air.

RC Qualifier
    thats really the only PITA part about wiring. I have to pull the vents to get the batteries out.

I could probably remove the vertical slats in the vents and be able to plug/unplug the wires through the vents but until I actually am able to test this version out or till I get fed up with it I'll probably leave it be. only 4 bolts really.

I didnt need to modify the battery compartment at all was able to use all the stock pieces. I just moved the high density foam from the front to the back of the compartment. and moved the holding tab to the front and the batteries fit real snug.

Oh yeah if anyone can answer this question. the owners manual says its not recommended to mix the 90t and 120t rocker arms together? any reason? Since I'm using 120 on the rear and the 90t on the front. I used to have lots of issues with roll and break dive with the 120t all around but this way seems to work quite well
    Last edited by HighKalibre; 10-14-2008 at 04:33 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtek
    Can you get the betteries out without removing the vent? I'm interested to see how well the trakpowers fit.
    there was discussion about this awhile back.

HighKalibre, have you considered modding the connectors instead?
    Buy some banana pulgs like this;

and bend the wires like this before soldering;

that way the connectors are flat enough to stay in while installing and removing the batteries.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    I was sorta thinking about that first, I think you would still run into the same issue though with how to plug/unplug em. Can't exactly stick my finger through the vent

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    no. the idea was that you dont go through the vent
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Oh I think I see what your saying. You're thinking about using the stock battery lead slotting in the trays?

I think If I had gone that approach I'd have to cut a slot out of the thin rail in the battery tray to get the battery to slide in and out without pulling the leads or the vents first. I can take more pics if you want but the trakpowers only leave about 1/4" between the top of the pack and the top of the tray.

I've got some spare 4mm bullet connectors sitting around I could try dremeling like the ones you posted just to see how it works

RC Qualifier
    Can you measure how much height you have with the battery in the bay?
    If it will somehow fit with the connectors in you can just use the connectors on the other end as normal.

RC Qualifier
    ok one of the reasons I'm really starting to like this forum is all the outside of the box thinking and other ideas.

Heres a couple more pics it looks like it'll be tight, but using the stock lead slots could work and I wouldnt have to undo the modded bat vents

Oh yeah it looks to be about 3/16" between the pack and the top of the bay

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HighKalibre
    ok one of the reasons I'm really starting to like this forum is all the outside of the box thinking and other ideas.
    More 'inside the box' actually

Thanks for taking the time to take more pics. So with standard 4mm plugs in, does it fit ok, with the vent in and without anything being cut?

If not i reckon you could dremel off the top of the connector and it would be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah It's a little tight but it should work. I gotta go grab some 4mm connectors though. I should have more pics tonight when its done. I hope my motor gets here today.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can dremel the ones you have, but that may be difficult.
    Looking at that first pic, I can see those plugs you use -leave you with no wiggle room.The ones in the pic I posted earlier are sold at tower, and may give you more room;
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPY4&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPY0&P=ML
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    yeah my LHS stocks the great planes ones with the notch factory cut. I'm gonna grab some of those

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cool man. keep us posted.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Finito. I think it turned out quite well. Thanks for pointing me in a different direction Hoov.

Oh yeah the greatplane 4mm bullets are actually longer by about 1/6th" or about 1mm. So I had to file them down a little. So either way the connectors need to be slightly modified.

On to the pictures

I would leave the series wire on the truck i gave myself enough that I can pull one side out unhook it from the pack then do the other side

Its a little tight getting the shrink tubing past the vent on the insides I may end up notching that out a little more.

Sigh still no package.... perhaps tomorrow

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

looks good man!

have any pics from the side?
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Looks great, nice job.
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Qualifier
    Side picture

Had to shave a little material from the red-highlighted area for the heat shrink.

hope thats what you were looking for Hoov

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yup. TY
    hmm, still looks tight tho.

at least you can get them in and out tho.

nice.
    be nice.