RC Enthusiast

Stock e-revo... won't move

Hey, I have a faily new e-revo. Less then 1 month.
    I have a 4 or 5 runs on it with 3000mah 7.4v NIMH cells...

Then I got my MaxAmps 2s Lipo 8000Mah batteries and 2c Novak smart stop cut off.
    I made an adapter harness from the ESC to one battery that hooks up the Novak smart stop. (copied a harness I seen on here for the 2s smart stop)
    I had a few runs with the Maxamps batteries now it wont move.

The last time I drove it it smelled kind of funny? Like warm electronics/smelly oil of some kind. I brought the truck inside and charged the batteries, went to use it again and it wont move.

I tried re-programming the ESC, I tried re-programming the Smart stop.
    I tried removing the smart stop, I tried reprogramming the ESC after removing the smart stop. I tried another receiver... still the steering works, but no throttle.

All times the steering works but there is no attempt at the motors to move or work.
    I emailed Traxxas technical support and they said when that condition occurs (steering works but not the throttle) the ESC needs to be re-programmed.

I have tried everything I can think of, this will not go!
    Any advice?
    I'm planning on sending traxxas another email tomorrow to find out what to do.

TIA

RC Champion
    Yup, same thing happened to mine on Friday after about 5 runs. Steering is good, but no throttle at all. I also reprogrammed mine multiple times and I don’t get any changes. I have even tried putting it in a different mode (sport, racing, training) and nothing works except steering. Even the light on the esc reacts to my throttle inputs, but nothing to the motors.

I too sent Traxxas Customer Service, but haven’t received a response as of noon pacific time. Hopefully when I get home tonight I’ll have an answer. I have had my E for a few months now, but sold my EVX2 that came with it, because I thought about going brushless. I then bought another EVX2 because I wasn’t going to go BL for a while and still wanted to drive my truck. Check out the thread “EVX2 Warranty” as one of the mods said to another forum member to send it in with $45 and they would take care of it. After 5 runs, I’m hoping they just plain take care of it…..without the $45 on my part!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Qualifier
    I would assume the ESC and/or the motors are not quite ready for those 8000mah lipos. It will be interesting to see if Traxxas covers this under warranty knowing you were using big mah lipos.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Champion
    But in all the E-Revo propaganda it states that it can accept Lipos but says to see your LHS for help. It never says to NOT use them. As long as the voltage is within the EVX2's range, it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: And I quote: "Choose your power from 6 or 7-cell NIMH packs all the way up to large-capacity LiPo (Lithium Polymer) Power.*

For LiPo use, the installed EVX-2 power system requires external low voltage detection for each battery pack (Sold seperately, consult your hobby dealer)." End Quote.
    Last edited by Chachi_RC; 10-13-2008 at 05:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like two things:

1) one or both of the motors overheated and damaged, to check:
    raise the truck on blocks,
    unplug the motors from the ESC,
    plug one motor directly into a tamiya battery (or any battery, tamiya's are just easier),
    then the other motor
    if both run, then the motors are OK

2) the battery voltage might be a bit too high, to check:
    lift the car up and give it some full throttle/full brake or
    drive normally with slow start then full throttle,
    once the batteries discharge bit, then the ESC should work as normal

The only reason for my first suggestion is because the motor smell. Sometimes we get that smell and the motor is fine, other times the motor is dead.

The reason for my second suggestion, is because my 6000 MaxAmps LiPos, won't allow full throttle accelerations on my son's stock e-maxx until the batteries discharge a bit. On the e-revo, we don't have this issue. Can't answer why because both are running EVX-2 with titans.

Not sure if these suggestions help, but might be worth a try.
    Last edited by SteGra; 10-13-2008 at 09:26 PM.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the help SteGra. Both my motors do work fine, and I did check them. As for the voltage, why would the esc work fine for 5 runs on fully charged 2s2p 8000mah LiPos for the first few runs, then work for 5 minutes on the 5th run and then quit. I think they are toast, from what, I don't know. My first EVX2 ran for about 40+ runs, and then I sold it. This one, only 5 and it quit, all with the same batteries. I just simply think I got a bad one.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll try connecting some batteries directly to the motors and see if they work, traxxas customer service also told me to try this, and if the motors work send in the speed control for warranty.

Is the speed control the ESC that I plug the batteries into?
    I'm new to RC cars.

TIA

RC Champion
    Yup. ESC=Electronic Speed Control. Keep us posted, and I'll let you know what I find out too.