RC Competitor

Question Can MMM and Neu1515/1Y s handle dirt and water ?

I just switched from my Dual 700-HO motors to the MMM and Neu Motor.

Now i am not sure how good they are in handling dirt and water.
    The MMM has a fan and i am not sure how sensitive that is to water?

Any advice on how to either prevent damage or how to maintain when dirt and water gets in ?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    water NOOOO. they're not waterproof. You should be fine with dirt but idk. Water id say stay away
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Racer
    Yes, they're not waterproof thus my hesistance to go MMM route. I sticked with the MM and a brushed motor for damp/wet environments. If I need to go brushless, all i need to do would be to swap out the brushed motor. Problem is, the MM can only handle a limited amount of power. But it works for me

RC Competitor

How much water is too much water ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shmate
    water NOOOO. they're not waterproof. You should be fine with dirt but idk. Water id say stay away
    What about sprinkles ? any way to block water from getting there ?

And the motor ?

RC Qualifier
    Well back in the days you used to have to balloon esc's and stuff to keep them from getting wet. Best way to keep the esc and motor not yet is to NOT DRIVE IN THE WATER. If you want to drive in the water with BL and a non waterproof esc well you'd have to do some insane modding to keep the water out. Like making mud flaps. Itd be a hassle and prolly still wouldnt work. DONT DRIVE IN THE WATER WITH NON WATERPROOF STUFF. If you want to drive in the water GET A BOAT. imo
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Competitor
    on the ESC what can go bad if water gets sprinkled on to it is the Fan Right ?
    what about the Neu Motor ? Can it handle sprinkles of water... i am not trying to drown my car. But trying to figure out what happends if i run through some Potholes ? or Dust from the race track ? or both ? i hate not having to find out before hand and then regret i didn't ask.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know castle puts a coating on their esc boards to help avoid water issues, but yeah, my guess would be that the fan would be the first part to have issues with excessive water. I think the same goes for the neu motor. a splash would probably be ok.

But, for me, after spending that kind of money and seeing how fragile the MMM's have been--I stay away from water.
    be nice.

RC Competitor
    so that can explain why all folks on the racetrack where amazed when i ran through all kinds of water with my stock ESC and the 2x700-HO motors. never had any water or dust/dirt related issues. Maybe time to setup one e-revo just for water and dirt stuff and one for the other stuff thats left. What about the winter / snow ? no MMM and Neu there either ? or is that ok ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigApple
    What about the winter / snow?
    I live in Florida bro...

...I haven't a clue about running in snow
    be nice.

RC Competitor
    The TEKNO NEU is packed in a "sealed motor can", this could be kind of waterproof?

RC Competitor
    yeah i saw that but not sure about the airflow. May get hotter then the old one. but it looks nice. How come the brushed motors can actually be run emersed in water ( i remember i had to "run them in" water) and why can brushless not do that ? are there electronics or circuitboards in it that prevent that ?

RC Champion
    Running any type of motor is not necessarily "bad" if you don't mind getting suspended debris that's found in muddy water into your bearings which will act as sandpaper and shorten their life. Not a big deal with a $20 motor, but not sure if I would want to kill the bearings on a ~$250 motor. Not to mention any rust you could get on steel parts (shaft, bearings, etc).

ESCs are a different story. Pure water is not really dangerous (pure water actually has high resistance), but the contaminants in ground water can be corrosive and contain minerals that lower the resistance. Corrosive-ness aside, the power circuits would be ok, but I would worry about the sensitive FET gate terminals and low voltage processor circuits. These are typically high impedance and it doesn't take much voltage to mess them up. If you don't mind voiding the warranty, you could take the ESC out of the case and dip the whole thing (except the heatsink fins) into some type of conformal coating to protect the sensitive areas. This would be fine as long as the fins aren't covered.

RC Competitor
    thanks for the info. So i ordered the Tekno Neu 1515/1.5D F Sealed can Motor. That shouod minimize the risk of dirt and sprinkled water at least i think. As long as i wont make it a submarine i shoud be ok i think. Even for the winter bashing season