RC Competitor
    Orangeville, Ontario, Canada (North of Toronto)

Limited Budget, BL system or LiPos first?

I have a limited budget but want to eventually have a Brushless system and LiPo. My question is given that I have two 7.2V 2400 NiCd and two 7.2V 3000 NiMh, and that I longer is the most important to me right now, should I first purchase a Brushless system, or LiPos?

At first I was just thinking about LiPos, but I will eventually want higher voltages, like 3S and 4S provide. Two of those and I'm beyond the EVX2's limit... unless I could get better runtime with only a single high capacity 4S LiPo? (plus the LVC)

Then a friend said that Brushless is more efficient than Brushed motors and should give me longer runtimes (slightly longer) with my existing batterys.

I'm assuming that 2 high capacity 4S LiPos are about the same cost as a HVPro 6.5T (I'm into friendly off-road racing and bashing, not much drag racing). Finally there's my Vision Peak Ultra which can only charge up to 3S LiPo...

So, to people more on this than I, should I get a decent Brushless and use my NiCd and NiMH or 2S (or 3S or 4S) LiPos first?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Brushless....i just got the novak5.5hvpro its a huge difference from the stockers. I'm running 2 8.4v 4600mah nimh.

RC Racer
    What's your budget?

I first went with the 700HO brushed motor (pre-brushless, big difference in terms of reliability over stock twin motors), then I went lipos. I was almost thinking of getting an LVC device but I smoked my EVX2 and got a Mamba Max and CC BEC. With my current setup, I'm ready for going brushless whenever I need to.

RC Champion
    I say get the Lipos first. At least that is what I did. That way, when you are ready to go BL, you already have the batteries to go along with the system. Most BL systems really need to have Lipos to run properly. I know, that Novak can run Nimhs, but most will burn up a pair of nimhs really quickly. The nimhs just donít have the voltage to handle the draw that a BL system can pull, and you end up with fried batteries, or at best, a much shorter life span on them. If you canít do both at the same time, get the packs now. There is a great thread on this E-Revo page that shows how to run Lipos with the stock system. Also, read the FAQs that SuicideNeil put together at the top of the page, it is a great read also. Let us know how else we can help, and have fun!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Competitor
    Orangeville, Ontario, Canada (North of Toronto)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman1312
    Brushless....i just got the novak5.5hvpro its a huge difference from the stockers. I'm running 2 8.4v 4600mah nimh.
    Are you saying you saw an improvement in runtime or performance? (certainly not both?!?)

As for my budget, I'm looking at $279.99 for the HVPro6.5T (plus a 5mm pinion? am I missing anything else?) from Great Hobbies verses two (or three) sets of high capacity LiPo; enough to last a whole race day.

A pair of 2S LiPo works with the EVX2, but more voltage is faster top end right? And the EVX2 can't handle over 16V, so dual 3S is out. Single 4S is just like dual 2S, so no speed improvment there, but I could live running a single 4S until I get a HV and the run two 4S (8S) Is there a High Capacity 4S that fits?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I got the novak for 250 at my lhs. I don't know the runtime but defiantly a big power difference.

RC Qualifier
    I'd recommend a mamba max and a medusa 36-60-2000, probably better than a novak and cheaper.
    As for for lipo, go with dual 2s. Since it's your first lipo, go with Enerlands. you can find 5100 25c 2s for $99 each. I believe that brand-name lipos last longer than cheaper, generic ones. Just my .02.

I'd say plan the system you want, top to bottom, before you make any purchace. Don't make a compromise just to be able to run now, or you will regret it later. Several setups - including the Novak systems - will run on 2 X 2S, and your EVX2 will as well. If that is the power you want, go ahead and get the batteries now. If you want something else, like a V-Twin or a MMM/Neu and you will want to run on something other than 2S for power, get the ESC and the motor first, because you will need to complete the entire setup to run. You can get the more time consuming part of the installation done, so that when the batteries show up, charge and go!

Second guessing yourself and changing the goal half way through the project will end up costing more and being FAR more frustrating in the long run.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    Second guessing yourself and changing the goal half way through the project will end up costing more and being FAR more frustrating in the long run.
    Card carrying member...Have the T-shirt.

I agree with those that say start with batteries....if you plan to upgrade to brushless in the future.

You say runtime is the most important to you right now...then there is only 1 answer. Two 2s 8000mAh batteries. They will provide the longest runtimes possible, reguardless of your set-up. They have great power for any set-up. and they are future proof for a brushless upgrade. Buy right once and you will save $$.
    be nice.

RC Racer
    1 word SPC ....

RC Competitor
    +1 ont the SPC 8000mah lipos
    erevo, 1515 1y f, MMM, 2x 2s 6500 Hyperion, 3pm

RC Racer
    +1 on SPC Lipos too. I've been able to put in 40-50 mins. w/ temps around ~100F.