RC Qualifier

Please help with my shopping list

RC stuff in the UK is expensive and often just not available :-( so I try to buy lots of RC stuff on the odd trip I make to the US. (Not sure I actually spend any less overall, but do I get more for my dollar.) I’m going to be near Hobbytown Atlanta in the first week of November and am writing my shopping list to email them so I can pick it up... the goodies should then keep me busy for the next few months. (Anything Hobbytown can't get I can order for delivery to hotel).

SO, I want to get my list right, and I have some questions… I would also really appreciate any comments on what might be poor choices or might be missing from my list.

Background: My E-Revo has twin 700HOs currently, and I have already installed steel CVDs, adjustable rear arms, one pair of Traxxas tubes, two-speed gearbox & wheelie bar; and two pairs of 2S lipos. I have been waiting on MMM to upgrade to brushless and would ideally like to keep using my 2S lipos. I use it for bashing only; I like speed, but torque and run time are more important.

Q1: 2.4GHz Tx/Rx package. I just want a basic one with minimum 4 car memory, and with 3rd channel suitable for gear-change. I am unlikely to use any fancy features. I was assuming the Spektrum DX3 was my best/only choice, but would love to be recommended something cheaper that would do the job

Q2: Motor/ESC combo: I’d like something that will suit 4S (i.e. using the 4x 2S lipos I have already, rather than having to buy new 3S lipos), although I’d like to be able to try 6s later, so are these sensible? In particular can I run Twin VXL on 2x2S?
    - 1st choice: CC MMM v3 & 2200 motor combo ($300) … if the combos are out in time.
    - 2nd choice: CC MMM + Tekno Neu 1515/1Y ($410) … if MMM v3 is out but CC motors delayed
    - 3rd choice: Twin VXL ($425 incl. MSA-10, sinks & fans) – BUT will this even work on 2x2S? FAQ implies that each VXL needs 3S which would be expensive for me to start again (TrueRC lipos = +$178 additional)
    - 4th Choice:??

Q3: Metal geared servos: I am buying some large wheels/tyres from Kershaw and reckon this is the time to upgrade steering – can anyone recommend decent servos that would drop right in without complex linkage add-ons and would take the heavy duty servo saver spring? Should I use one servo or two?

Q4: Are the fancy coloured wheels to go on the wheelie bar any use? $20 seems a lot if they are just cosmetic.

Q5: At a later point I’d like to have a waterproof runabout (rains a lot here in winter) and was thinking about a picking up used stock E-Maxx 3905 roller (into which I could even drop a 700HO)… Or would I really hate the handling after being used to the E-Revo? Would appreciate input from anyone who has upgraded from 3905 to E-Revo or who knows both. (The logic is that it would be more interesting to have something different, and the high stance seems a good plan if I am driving in puddles…)

I'll post my shopping list so far below.
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Qualifier
    List so far:

#5318X Push rod aluminium (2) 2x $12.50 = $25
    #5338R TUBES™ Toe Link, E-Revo (2) $25
    #5690X Plate, Motor $10
    #5381X Spool, differential $12
    #5611 Body, E-Revo (clear) $25
    #5344X Revo Servo Saver Spring, heavy-duty $2.5
    #3944 14-tooth Pinion Gear $3.25
    #3946 16-tooth Pinion Gear $3.25
    #3948 18-tooth Pinion Gear $3.25
    #3950 20-tooth Pinion Gear $3.25
    #3952 22-tooth Pinion Gear $3.25
    #3959 E-Revo Spur Gear, 62-Tooth $3
    #3960 E-Revo Spur Gear, 65-Tooth $3
    #???? Jato Spur Gear, 54-Tooth $3
    #???? Jato Spur Gear, 56-Tooth $3
    #???? Jato Spur Gear, 58-Tooth $3

TKR1013 Tekno RC Sway Bar Kit for REVO $26

Kershaw E-Revo Center Dog Bone Kit $35
    Kershaw Giant low-profile 7.5" wheels/tires $99
    Kershaw 30T brass pinion (I have 24T already) $18

SPM20300 Spektrum DX3.0 DSM 3CH Pistol $250
    Metal geared servo(s) ?
    Servo Y-cable (?)
    IR Temp gun
    Liposack

Other potentials items include:
    Proline LPR 1/2" offset wheels & badlands MT tyres ($65)
    E-Revo cast aluminium finned Motor Mount ($11)
    OOC hood scoop

I'd really appreciate any comments at all.
    Thanks! :-)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    metal geared servos are not a must! the stock are fine(no upgrade needed)
    a y cable http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDU0&P=0
    2nd choice on the motor combo, the castle neu will never be better than a real neu

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    Ah, ok, good to know - I must admit I only put it on the list 'cos it is mentioned in the manual as a possibility.. I certainly haven't had any problems with steering. Guess I can save a few pennies there and just go with that y-cable. Thanks :-)

2nd choice on the motor combo, the castle neu will never be better than a real neu
    I am sure you are right (but then it would cost $100+ extra). I just thought the CC Combo would be well matched & set up etc. No problems on 4S, then?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefisherking
    Ah, ok, good to know - I must admit I only put it on the list 'cos it is mentioned in the manual as a possibility.. I certainly haven't had any problems with steering. Guess I can save a few pennies there and just go with that y-cable. Thanks :-)

I am sure you are right (but then it would cost $100+ extra). I just thought the CC Combo would be well matched & set up etc. No problems on 4S, then?
    if your going to run 4s i reccomend the 1.5d

RC Qualifier
    if your going to run 4s i reccomend the 1.5d
    Yes, I'd like to run 4s as I already have two pairs of 2s lipos... Would I still be able to try out 5s or 6s sometime in the future (when I have become complacent about the 4s speeds :-)? I mean would that be a sensible option, or would 6s on the 1.5d just be for speed runs and would otherwise melt my batts etc and have low runtimes?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you plan to eventually switch to 6s, then get the 1Y. you wont be dissappointed. I run the 1y on 4s and its awesome. I run it on 6s and its sick! Better all-around choice
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for that advice!

Anyone got recommendations on a 2.4Ghz transmitter that the use with their E-Revo?

RC Qualifier
    If I go ahead and buy the Spektrum DX3.0 Transmitter/Receiver (as I have found a reasonable deal here, so may not wait), can I just plug in the existing installed Traxxas servos then? i.e. I don't need the servos that come with the Spektrum?

I take it noone would suggest any 2.4G system other than the Spektrum?

RC Qualifier
    hey don't forget about futaba
    I am Luke Skywalker.

RC Champion
    I take it noone would suggest any 2.4G system other than the Spektrum?
    If not going with Spektrum, and I am a HUGE fan of my dx3r, the Futaba 3pm 2.4 with Fassst is great bang for the buck. I ran one for a few months before dropping the cash on a dx3r.
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

You will need a servo y harness to plug both servos in.I'm also gonna throw this out,the Novak is a very good 4s system.I'm personally not gonna hold my breath for the MMM combo.They first really need to get the MMM esc fixed,then tested,then start sending combos,and they could have issues.Then they must be proved as a stable 6s system.If all that happens then they will be the best combo out.But it's always a good idea to have a back up system,especially when your talking high power setups.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Geogenesis
    hey don't forget about futaba
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyT
    If not going with Spektrum, and I am a HUGE fan of my dx3r, the Futaba 3pm 2.4 with Fassst is great bang for the buck. I ran one for a few months before dropping the cash on a dx3r.
    Ah, thanks for that... now the Futaba 3PM FASST is a little less expensive than the Spektrum, which is no bad thing. One question: does it have a switch to control the 3rd channel that is suitable for the two speed gear selector? i.e. one that stays in the up or down position, not a button that springs back when you let go of it?

I have the same question on the Spektrum DX3.0, actually.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    You will need a servo y harness to plug both servos in.
    That's all I need to do? Great!

Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    I'm also gonna throw this out,the Novak is a very good 4s system.I'm personally not gonna hold my breath for the MMM combo.They first really need to get the MMM esc fixed,then tested,then start sending combos,and they could have issues.Then they must be proved as a stable 6s system.If all that happens then they will be the best combo out.But it's always a good idea to have a back up system,especially when your talking high power setups.
    Hmmm, I know, it seems like the whole world (including me) is waiting for the fully sorted MMM v3, with or without combo motor... as if there is nothing else. You may be right - If the MMM is not available by my deadline (Nov 10th) perhaps I should go with a Novak combo, and have it as a backup if I ever do get to own an MMM.

I am guessing you would suggest the HV Pro 5.5 ?

I wonder whether it would really be that much faster than my twin 700HOs? (although it would certainly be a lot lighter, and that should help)

RC Champion
    Ah, thanks for that... now the Futaba 3PM FASST is a little less expensive than the Spektrum, which is no bad thing. One question: does it have a switch to control the 3rd channel that is suitable for the two speed gear selector? i.e. one that stays in the up or down position, not a button that springs back when you let go of it?

I have the same question on the Spektrum DX3.0, actually.
    yes, it has a selectors witch for the 3rd channel. it is that slider to the right of the wheel by the 4 silver menu buttons.

3-Channel 2.4GHz System

The perfect radio upgrade for today's touring cars.

If you're just getting into spread spectrum, you've just got to get this system. The 3PM's 2.4GHz works directly from the transmitter, so there's no separate module to plug in. Digital trims and dual rates are positioned for easy access, and programming is equally simple.

System Overview :

* Condition switch
    * 10-model memory
    * ABS braking
    * Brake mixing for large cars
    * One programmable mixing
    * Steering and throttle exponential
    * Servo reversing on all channels
    * Throttle ATL
    * Function select dial/switch
    * Steering speed

R603FFAn Auto-Detect feature!

* Turn on the radio, and the R603FF receiver instantly determines whether HRS or PPM mode is active from the transmitter
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyT
    yes, it has a selectors witch for the 3rd channel. it is that slider to the right of the wheel by the 4 silver menu buttons.
    Cool! And I have found on the web that the Spektrum can also do that (as you would expect).

So, as there's not much in it, I guess I can pick whichever I can find the best deal on in the next few days and I'll have my Q1 & Q3 fully sorted Thanks!

Still happy to receive views on any of the above... (wheelie wheels, E-Maxx handling, and of course there is always something else on ESC/motor combos :-) )

RC Champion
    Personally, I like the DX3r. If you have multiple R/Cs, the 30 model memory comes in handy (and has modelmatch, which makes sure the model selected on the Tx matches the Rx currently in use), just stock up on receivers.

Both the DX3r and DX3.0 has two modes for CH3; latched (which is what you're talking about) and momentary (which is what you said you don't want), but it's just a matter of a settings change.

RC Racer
    Q4. They are nicely machined aluminium compared to the stock plastic, but I dont think they are an 'essential' upgrade- just paint the stockers...

Q5. A high stance is handy for clearing puddles, but onyl if you do so at 1mph; any faster and the water will just splash up inside the truck regardless of a couple inches height difference. If you use some plasti-dip you can seal the stock esc pretty well, same deal with using electrical tape on any exposed connectors. The motors wont mind so much being brushed items, just clean them out with compressed air and lube the bushing afterwards. Does rain alot in the UK I must admit...
    I am SuicideNeil, please dont shoot.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude
    Q4. They are nicely machined aluminium compared to the stock plastic, but I dont think they are an 'essential' upgrade- just paint the stockers...
    I thought as much... I'll give those a miss then - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thedude
    Q5. A high stance is handy for clearing puddles, but onyl if you do so at 1mph; any faster and the water will just splash up inside the truck regardless of a couple inches height difference. If you use some plasti-dip you can seal the stock esc pretty well, same deal with using electrical tape on any exposed connectors. The motors wont mind so much being brushed items, just clean them out with compressed air and lube the bushing afterwards. Does rain alot in the UK I must admit...
    Hmmm, yes, "waterproof" is a relative term. The idea here is certainly NOT to get rid of my lovely E-Revo, but just to have something waterproof-ish to hand that I can bash around in the wet days of winter when I need an RC fix (but to which I wouldn't want to subject my hopped-up-and-no-longer-waterproof E-Revo/lipos). So I wouldn't be too worried about the E-Maxx's condition... my question was whether the very tall stance and notoriously not-as-good-as-an-E-Revo handling would actually just annoy me. (I've never even seen an E-Maxx in the flesh, let alone driven one, you see...)

RC Racer
    I see what you mean now. The emaxx doesnt handle that well as it is, unless you slam it to the deck and stiffen up the suspension, so raising the ride height with soft or stiff springs will make it roll worse than a bedford mini rascal going round a bend at 60mph... (topgear ftw!)

I think if you concentrate on making it driveable with some suspension tweaks, then cover the electronics to make them water tight (tuperwear party anyone?), it should be enjoyable and reliable in the wet. The 3905 has a sealed rx box as it is anyway, so its just the esc that needs minor attention really.
    I am SuicideNeil, please dont shoot.

RC Qualifier
    Oh – I have a couple more questions for Futaba vs. Spektrum product owners (pretty please):
    (i) do the receivers that come with the combos (Futaba R603FF or Spektrum SR3000) both actually fit inside the Traxxas waterproof housing that comes with the E-Revo? Or would I need to pay for the extra small versions?
    (ii) Are the antennae the same length? I thought that they would be little plastic stubs, but the spectrum one at least says 9”, with a 31mm exposed metal piece. (Is it just that piece that I need to raise?) If I got the Futaba FS version presumably I could just ignore the external antenna?

[For interest (if any!) on the rest of my shopping plan: I couldn’t wait to order something, so I have already ordered the Traxxas & Tekno swaybars (front/rear combo), diff spool and steel centre dogbones. Then on Nov 10th I will get the Tekno Neu 1515/1y/f unless the Castle combos are shipping (4s with maybe 6s for special occasions), and the rest. Meanwhile I am eBay-ing for an E-Maxx roller to which I can transfer my 700HOs. So that’s a plan – thanks for everyone's help )

RC poster
    to (i) The Futaba R603FF fit inside the housing because it is exactliy the same size.

to (ii) I don't know which antenna you meen (receiver or sender?) However, i don't care about antenna of the sender so i don't raise it.

The antenna of the receiver is very short and ends 1" in the blue antenna of the erevo, may be i put the blue antenna of erevo completly off.

Let me add, that sometimes there are problems with spectrums in specific conditions.

While running, you are able to switch with the futaba to a completly second new setup (which is usefull if the batteries are going down).

You are able to mix one channel down to channel 3 (I have tried channel 3 with the second servo becaus i don't want to use a y-cable). However, it seems, that it is not possible to mix down the trimming to channel 3 so i ended up in using a y-cable.

The futaba is able to use High-Speed-Sending if you use digital servos (the erevo has digital servos) however, i don't think that the quality is high enough so i'm using PPM-Mode.

The Futaba has to failsave modes: In High-Speed-Sending the fail-save is stored in the receiver permanently (switching power on and of doesn't matter) in PPM-Mode this is not possible!

Second failsave mode when sending via ppm is stored in the sender, but you have it to do every time if you power on the sender. However, this is very easy, just hit the knob on the backside of the sender.

RC Qualifier
    Jumanji - thank you that's really useful information :-)
    (And yes, I did mean the antenna in the receiver)