RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Ya know what really grinds my gears?

Stripped spur gear!

Apparently the screw that mounts the motor and allows adjustment of the mesh was set loosely from the factory and the mesh became less and less the more I drove it. Today I tried a run and one minute after I took off I heard the telltale grinding noise. Took the gear cover off to find plastic shavings and half of my spur teeth missing their tops...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the land of high quality labor from Taiwan......Everyone's done it, you gotta check 'em before you run it.... another $3 down the drain
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

The motor can move a bit if you are jumping and have a hard landing. I have had it happen to me many times over the years. To solve the problem, I made an aluminum plate for the motor screws. This prevents the transmission case from being deformed by the screw heads and it also prevents the motor from sliding away from the spur gear.

If you don't want to make one, this HPI slipper plate would work.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sellinchevs
    Welcome to the land of high quality labor from Taiwan......Everyone's done it, you gotta check 'em before you run it.... another $3 down the drain
    I know dude...

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    The motor can move a bit if you are jumping and have a hard landing. I have had it happen to me many times over the years. To solve the problem, I made an aluminum plate for the motor screws. This prevents the transmission case from being deformed by the screw heads and it also prevents the motor from sliding away from the spur gear.

If you don't want to make one, this HPI slipper plate would work.
    Thanks for the tip cool. I haven't even jumped it yet. I'm so short on time balancing AP courses and my job at Hobby Town I have yet to run a full battery through it.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

It could also have happened if you ran into something- not that I'm saying you have or anything.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That might be it. I had a short bumpercars session with some middle school kids after the race last Sunday afternoon. Nothing too serious (no broken parts) but it may have been knocked away that way.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

In my opinion, that was probably it then.

The quality of the work that comes out of the factories where these vehicles are built is actually pretty good. Each person has to be an expert at what they do- the shock builders have to know how to build shocks well, the people who glue the tires have to do their job well, etc. When they're doing specialized jobs like that, mistakes really don't happen too often. That's not to say that every single vehicle that comes out of the factories is perfect, but they do a pretty good job all things considered.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Less than one run on the new gear. I swear my mesh is good. When I removed the gear cover there was dirt in it (like half a thimble worth) could it be the sand in it? I noticed a couple grains of sand between a few of the nubs (toasted teeth) on the spur.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Competitor
    Hey Rustler I was having the same problems as you but I put a couple of pieces of hockey tape on the opening the gear cover has. Since then I have had no problems. It is so frustrating to always have gears strip.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah...I smoked a spur gear out of the box too. So did a couple of my friends.
    Guess its a life lesson that only cost me 3 bucks...always go over your junk before you run it because the factory probably goofed something up.

RC Champion
    I have never run with a gear cover and I just stripped my first spur gear on the Slash with about 30+ runs on it.
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It must be the '13' on the sides...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    My truck has an 18 on the hood.
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!