Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

MaxAmps 8000 mah LiPo questions.

I just received my set of Maxxamps, I am about to charge them. It says I can charge these puppies at 8A rate? That's pretty wild from what I been reading... But its absolutely within the SAFE margin based on Maxamps?

Any advice?

These puppies bearly fit on the stock E-Revo trays FYI.

I am also wiring a 4S novak LiPo stop to the ESC. It says it will stop the vehicle if voltage falls below 12.5V??? Isn't that almost the total amount of power that the two packs of LiPo will be providing when fully charged?

Maxamps recommended this unit though.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Racer
    your Maxamps packs run at 3.7 per cell * 4 = 14.8. You charge at 1C or 1amp per 1000 mAh of battery capacity(8000mAh). So, yes, you will charge at 8Amps. You actually charge the packs to about 8.4Volts per pack.

The LVC will prevent you from over discharging your $300 battery packs. Lipos are far different from what you may be used to. You do not run Lipo until they are dead. You only use the energy they hold and when that starts to run down and Voltage drops (to about 3V per cell = 12V for 4S OR 6V for each battery pack) the LVC cuts off the power. They are killing the power at 12.5 Volts which is a fair level to cut off. You NEVER want to run down your lipos to less than 6V per battery pack and MOST will tell you to set an LVC to about 3.2V per cell just to stay on the safe side. When you are spending $300 per set for batteries, safer than sorry is a GREAT route to play. You WILL damage them if you don't.
    Read the FAQs for a lot of good information..
    and enjoy your revo!

Edited for a bit more clarity.
    Last edited by JaySki; 09-10-2008 at 04:25 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySki
    your Maxamps packs run at 3.7 per cell * 4 = 14.8. You charge at 1C or 1amp per 1000 mAh of battery capacity(8000mAh). So, yes, you will charge at 8Amps. You actually charge the packs to about 8.4Volts per pack.

The LVC will prevent you from over discharging your $300 battery packs. Lipos are far different from what you may be used to. You do not run Lipo until they are dead. You only use the energy they hold and when that starts to run down and Voltage drops (to about 3V per cell = 12V for 4S OR 6V for each battery pack) the LVC cuts off the power. They are killing the power at 12.5 Volts which is a fair level to cut off. You NEVER want to run down your lipos to less than 6V per battery pack and MOST will tell you to set an LVC to about 3.2V per cell just to stay on the safe side. When you are spending $300 per set for batteries, safer than sorry is a GREAT route to play. You WILL damage them if you don't.
    Read the FAQs for a lot of good information..
    and enjoy your revo!

Edited for a bit more clarity.

OK, that was helpful. Thank you!

I guess I thought that maybe it meant the 3V limit was for the whole pack and not per cell.

The difference per cell from 3.7 to 3.0 Volts must be a lot if the total capacity of a cell is 3.7 and the low voltage point is 3.0V. You would think that using up .7 volts per pack would only let you run for a couple of minutes or something...
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djbis
    OK, that was helpful. Thank you!

I guess I thought that maybe it meant the 3V limit was for the whole pack and not per cell.

The difference per cell from 3.7 to 3.0 Volts must be a lot if the total capacity of a cell is 3.7 and the low voltage point is 3.0V. You would think that using up .7 volts per pack would only let you run for a couple of minutes or something...

Each cell will be 4.2V when fully charged, so the delta is about 1-1.2V to be safe. As people have said time and again: Better safe than sorry!

RC Champion

ESC did not like the NOVAK Smart-Stop?

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I tried hooking up my new Smart-Stop Voltage cut-off to the EVX-2 today. I looked at this picture above that I found on the forum for reference and soldered the leads just like its done above (nice and clean) but after a closer inspection I noticed that I wired things different. I still wired red to red and black to black, but they were soldered on opposite battery leads.

All receiver and ESC wires were connected as described in the NOVAK instructions but when I went to plug the first NIMH battery on the left side of the truck smoke started to come out immediately! It was the black wire that comes out to the receiver from the ESC along with the other 2 Red/White cables. The black line got so hot it melted all of the plastic around it leaving the wire exposed.

I have no clue what to do now in terms of wiring.

Did soldering the wires to the power leads the way I did create the problem or was there a problem with the Smart-Stop unit? Should I be looking at something else which could have caused the accident?

I should still be able to run NiMH packs with the Smart-Stop, right?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I thinks you created a dead short...

Do yourself a favour and buy a 2s LVC, and wire it to a single plug- the bec side (plug in a single battery, if the esc lights up= bec side).

You cant use the smartstop with nimhs as the voltages are all wrong, consider the Kraeger harness to make life easier on yourself...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    I thinks you created a dead short...

Do yourself a favour and buy a 2s LVC, and wire it to a single plug- the bec side (plug in a single battery, if the esc lights up= bec side).

You cant use the smartstop with nimhs as the voltages are all wrong, consider the Kraeger harness to make life easier on yourself...
    4S LVC is what I was told to use everywhere, including Maxamps who sold me the LiPos.

The ESC does not lite up with only one battery connected to either side. Figuring out which side was the BEC side was not possible for me.

Isn't the Smart-Stop by Novak able to be disabled (stop monitoring voltage)?
    I thought it was... That's why I bought it, because I could keep it hardwired and just disable/reprogram whenever I need it.

The harness would be an option though...
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Racer
    Likley because the batteries are wired in parallel but it is done internally on the ESC, so yea.. You created a dead short and smoke the ground wire on the ESC. I'd be willing to wage that you will need to (depending on your electronics and soldering skills) either solder a new set of wires that run from the ESC to the Receiver or send it to Traxxas for replacement. Those thin wires don;t take kindly to that much current.

And as Neil said.. Don't the LVC on NiMH.

Before you cooked that ground wire, one side to a battery would have powered up the ESC. it may not now due to the smoke.. Which was that little ground wire than runs to the receiver.. and had a whole lotta current blow through it, rapidly heating it up and burning. I doubt it is an effective ground any longer.
    Last edited by JaySki; 09-11-2008 at 07:56 PM.

RC Racer
    4S LVC is what I was told to use everywhere, including Maxamps who sold me the LiPos.

The ESC does not lite up with only one battery connected to either side. Figuring out which side was the BEC side was not possible for me.

Isn't the Smart-Stop by Novak able to be disabled (stop monitoring voltage)?
    I thought it was... That's why I bought it, because I could keep it hardwired and just disable/reprogram whenever I need it.

The harness would be an option though...
    They are assuming you are likely running brushless and have to wire the battery harness for a parallel connection your self. You'd be able to see the polarity and where it was running to then see how to wire the LVC. I'd draw it out.. But I am on the wrong PC to do it right now.

LVC is only used for LIPO not NiMH.. different animals.

RC Champion
    They are assuming you are likely running brushless and have to wire the battery harness for a parallel connection your self. You'd be able to see the polarity and where it was running to then see how to wire the LVC. I'd draw it out.. But I am on the wrong PC to do it right now.

LVC is only used for LIPO not NiMH.. different animals.
    Thanks for the info guys.

Yes the wire got red-hot melting the insulation. I sent it back to Traxxas, I did not want to gamble having the internals damaged as well, specially if I am running the more dngerous LiPo's.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html

Hmmm, the sales info does not say anything about the NiMH or being able to shut off the LVC. Bummer.
    So what now? I really intended on using my NiMH's!!!

It's either one or the other?

This also means that the little wire harness described above is not really going to do anything for me, because the LVC will still be connected to the receiver and taking that apart just during a battery change would be too time consuming and involved. Any tips?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Before you cooked that ground wire, one side to a battery would have powered up the ESC. it may not now due to the smoke.. Which was that little ground wire than runs to the receiver.. and had a whole lotta current blow through it, rapidly heating it up and burning. I doubt it is an effective ground any longer.
    I tried to find out which side the BEC was on a day or two before I even tried to solder the wires and had this problem...

The light on the ESC would not come up, no matter what battery I used on either side...
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Hmmm, how about this... a solution for the NiMH situation would be the electric harness with the 2S Smart-Stop. Then an "extension" coming out of the receiver with a female end outside ready to take the ESC or the Smart-Stop male end if I want to run NiMH and ditch LiPo for a few runs?

That's a bit of wire sitting under the electric motor, but I guess I'll have to live with the small mess of cables laying under there.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Racer
    I use a short extension out of my receiver box, so that I could quickly remove the LVC if I wanted to. Works fine. As for how much extra wire you'll have, you can see it here:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=435171

I can remove my LVC very quickly, though it won't be for going back to NIMH's, it'll be so I can swap easily from the stock ESC to a brushless one, and back. (For when I want to run in water)

You can see how much extra wire there is in the photos, and I could certainly trim that down a ton (if I wasn't so lazy).

On the EVX2 it won't power on with just one battery, but if you read that thread I detail how to find which is the BEC side for the EVX2. And I'm positive that method works, as that battery always drains a good bit faster.

- Tony

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... LVC is only used for LIPO not NiMH.. different animals.
    Why not? Using a LVC with good quality Nimh packs makes perfect sense.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Why not? Using a LVC with good quality Nimh packs makes perfect sense.
    I'm not sure I understand why you think this makes sense.
    maybe you can explain. (?)

But.....

The purpose of using a LVC (low voltage cutoff) is to protect the batteries from being discharged too much.

When lipos get overdischarged, their lifespan is greatly reduced, they run the risk of never being charged again, they can be dangerous/explosive, and they can die.

Nimh just stop giving power when they are out. All you do when that happends is charge them again. No harm done.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, nimh won't be damaged like a lipo when discharged too low, but I tend to think that a cutoff is a good idea because it slightly shortens run times when the batts are pretty much done anyways.. this would cause the driver to swap fresh batts in sooner and prevent overtaxing the batts temp wise. Plus, how much use is a nimh that is over half its voltage anyways?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    I'm not sure I understand why you think this makes sense.
    maybe you can explain. (?)

But.....

The purpose of using a LVC (low voltage cutoff) is to protect the batteries from being discharged too much.

When lipos get overdischarged, their lifespan is greatly reduced, they run the risk of never being charged again, they can be dangerous/explosive, and they can die.

Nimh just stop giving power when they are out. All you do when that happends is charge them again. No harm done.
    A quality Nimh pack under load provides a voltage discharge curve as flat as or flatter than any RC-LiPo pack of similar capacity rating. The same Nimh pack is fully discharged (for all practical purposes) at approximately 1.1 volts per cell or 6.6 volts for a 6-cell pack. The number one cause of premature Nimh pack failure is over-discharging, again much like LiPo. So common sense says why not use the LVC for Nimh?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ah. ok. I see what you mean.
    I thought the drop off on Nimh was more noticable than a lipo, so i figured most would just stop when the truck slowed down.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Bad news again.
    Tried programming the new EVX-2 but there is a problem, when you get to about 3/4 throttle on forward or reverse the vehicle stops. You can only drive it at lower speed and even then sometimes it jerks suddenly.

I tried to wire the motors as per the manual, could I have done something wrong with that?

Maxamps support said is a "COGGING" issue, while Traxxas support says that its bad and must be returned.

My luck.
    Last edited by djbis; 09-19-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Racer
    did u get the e revo pair max amps 8000 lipo's or just the regular pack

RC Champion
    $10 its the evx2, some have over voltage issue (did in the past on the emaxx) get a new one, traxxas will send you a new one for shipping

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Maxamps = fail.

Cogging only occurs with brushless motors and controllers; not brushed motors and the evx/evx2 etc.
    +1 to jay's comment.

Edited
    Last edited by mike505; 09-20-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Cogging only occurs with brushless motors and controllers; not brushed motors and the evx/evx2 etc.
    LOL didnt notice that, teach a $9 phone support service dude a new word, its the problem for everything. Maybe its ripple effect because of the caps in the evx

RC Champion
    Maxamps = fail.

+1 to jay's comment.
    hah, well I learned that today. What a cop-out. Maybe he should have asked "hmmm, is it a brushed or brushless motor you are trying to run?" But I guess it was a simple assumption for him to make since I said I was trying to setup the EVX-2 from traxxas.

Strike two for Maxamps.
    Last edited by mike505; 09-20-2008 at 09:39 PM.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

Regardless of personal thoughts or opinions of other people there will be NO name calling here.
    Pain is Temporary, Pride & Achievement is Forever.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mike505
    Regardless of personal thoughts or opinions of other people there will be NO name calling here.
    What name?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    *dun dun dun*

That was my professional opinion though; anyone who calls themself a technical advisor, yet thinks brushed escs and motors can produce cogging... well, what I said before it was edited.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    If it wasn't because this is a "family" oriented hobby I would be all up in arms right now...
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Bad news again.
    Tried programming the new EVX-2 but there is a problem, when you get to about 3/4 throttle on forward or reverse the vehicle stops. You can only drive it at lower speed and even then sometimes it jerks suddenly.

I tried to wire the motors as per the manual, could I have done something wrong with that?

Maxamps support said is a "COGGING" issue, while Traxxas support says that its bad and must be returned.

My luck.
    So I got a 2nd replacement EVX-2. Hooked it up, programmed it with the motors disconnected (I don't know where I heard that its good to do it that way), then hooked up my NIMH and SAME problem! I almost lost my cool.

Then it HIT me... My God, last time I programmed the ESC with the motors disconnected! What if that's whats causing the problem?

So I re-programmed everything with the motors hooked up, SUCCESS!

What a dumb dumb!

And Traxxas did not know what it could be, they were ready to have me send in the Receiver and Transmitter...

youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    After I tested with the NIMH I went back and soldered the LVC to the ESC terminals. Poped the 8000maH LiPo's in and I was on my way to electric bliss!!!

The EVX and the motors handle the power very well! The most obvious improvement over NIMH is the added acceleration and response with the trottle! Its truly sweet!!! Speed is also improved but its nothing to write home about.

I had the LiPos stored at 60% charge and I took them out like that... 20 or so minutes later after doing pretty much all high-speed runs, the packs were running strong and the LVC low voltage light was not coming on at all...

I was scared to keep going because I am still not sure if the LVC is going to work, so I stopped and went to charge the packs to 100%.
    When they started charging the charger said they had aprox 17% of the charge still in them. That means that in 20 minutes I used aprox. 40% of the available charge, which hopefully indicates that I should be able to go at the same rate (high speed runs) for about 40 minutes???

That's crazy!

NOW a QUESTION:

I know that the LVC tries to stop the use of the LiPo's at around 3V per cell. How does this relate to the capacity left in the pack?
    If I was running the packs today at aprox. 17% remaining charge, how low will the packs go until I see the warnings signs from the LVC?

10%? 5%?

Its raining now, hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to find out how long the packs last with 100% charge on them.

Your insight is appreciated.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Racer
    Stop worrying and making a science project outta nothing.Just run it till u feel its getting close and check the voltage per pack and per cell when your done.u will know when the LVC kicks in.But if your afraid like i said just check your voltage whenever you done running the batteries so u dont go below the cut off voltage.I run the novak 2s on the bec side and run them till it starts to stutter the throttle under load with the blue light flickering.Never got below 3.25 v per cell or 6.5 per pack.And the pack on the bec side is always a little lower than the other side....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer1kr
    Stop worrying and making a science project outta nothing.Just run it till u feel its getting close and check the voltage per pack and per cell when your done.u will know when the LVC kicks in.But if your afraid like i said just check your voltage whenever you done running the batteries so u dont go below the cut off voltage.I run the novak 2s on the bec side and run them till it starts to stutter the throttle under load with the blue light flickering.Never got below 3.25 v per cell or 6.5 per pack.And the pack on the bec side is always a little lower than the other side....

Thanks, but no thanks.

I am not trying to make a "science project", I just can't trust the LVC yet because I have not seen it come on, therefore I ask other users who have a similar setup EVX-2/Titans/8000maH LiPo 2S2P what their experience is...

I still would like my question (above) answered if anybody can...

"I know that the LVC tries to stop the use of the LiPo's at around 3V per cell. How does this relate to the capacity left in the pack?"

I don't have a way or know-how to check the voltage (no voltmeter, etc).
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC poster
    Why run lipos and the stock evx2, longer run time of slowness ? 30 minutes of 1/2 fun, get a brushless motor and esc that has an lvc

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks, but no thanks.

I am not trying to make a "science project", I just can't trust the LVC yet because I have not seen it come on, therefore I ask other users who have a similar setup EVX-2/Titans/8000maH LiPo 2S2P what their experience is...

I still would like my question (above) answered if anybody can...

"I know that the LVC tries to stop the use of the LiPo's at around 3V per cell. How does this relate to the capacity left in the pack?"

I don't have a way or know-how to check the voltage (no voltmeter, etc).

well the working voltage of the batteries, fully charged, is 4.2v per cell.
    At 4.2v per cell, you should have 8000mah.
    If you discharge to 3.0v then we need a percentage of the total.
    3 / 4.2 = .714
    .714 X 8000 = 5712
    so you should have 5712mah at 3.0v
    8000-5712 = 2288mah used from 4.2 - 3.0v

check the math, but thats what I get anyway.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Fast Max
    Why run lipos and the stock evx2, longer run time of slowness ? 30 minutes of 1/2 fun, get a brushless motor and esc that has an lvc
    Why? because the stock Traxxas electric setup is weatherproof, which is why I picked up an E-Revo in the first place.

I miss out in extraordinary, "you can bearly control it" speed, and the extra $300 that I have to drop into the brushless setup, but I think I am quite alright as I am not looking for serious speed.

The balance of reliability, speed and torque that the EVX setup is giving me right now is sufficient for what I want to do and the run times are extended, which is what I always dreamed of (playing for almost an hour without having to recharge!).

That's why.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    well the working voltage of the batteries, fully charged, is 4.2v per cell.
    At 4.2v per cell, you should have 8000mah.
    If you discharge to 3.0v then we need a percentage of the total.
    3 / 4.2 = .714
    .714 X 8000 = 5712
    so you should have 5712mah at 3.0v
    8000-5712 = 2288mah used from 4.2 - 3.0v

check the math, but thats what I get anyway.
    Whoah, thank you!
    See, that's knowledge that I don't have...
    I really appreciate your feedback...!
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC poster
    Why? because the stock Traxxas electric setup is weatherproof, which is why I picked up an E-Revo in the first place.

I miss out in extraordinary, "you can bearly control it" speed, and the extra $300 that I have to drop into the brushless setup, but I think I am quite alright as I am not looking for serious speed.

The balance of reliability, speed and torque that the EVX setup is giving me right now is sufficient for what I want to do and the run times are extended, which is what I always dreamed of (playing for almost an hour without having to recharge!).

That's why.
    hate to bust it to you but its weather resistant, as is the Mamba max, I doublle dog dare you to try and "waterproff" play with your hobbywingmade evx2, .. key word niave

RC poster
    hate to bust it to you but its weather resistant, as is the Mamba max, I doublle dog dare you to try and "waterproff" play with your hobbywingmade evx2, .. key word niave

look up hobbywing escs and feigao motors, traxxas doesnt make their own motors or escs

RC poster

That's why.
    logged off and hid, ...You sir a 1 big sad sack

RC Champion
    logged off and hid, ...You sir a 1 big sad sack
    LOL, sorry dude, I got a lot of work to do.
    Go enjoy your super-dooper brushless truck. ok?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx