Slash spec racing,a big success!!!!

We just had our first official Slash race last night.This is definately the most fun I have ever had with any R/C.We had 8 trucks enter,which is exactly how many the track/hobby shop owner ordered.Everyone had a blast even though most guys were on their lids more than their wheels.I couldn't stop laughing the whole time the race was on! I ended up getting 1-2-1 in my heats and taking the TQ on my third heat.Managed second in the main,but the real action took place as soon as the race ended.It was the last race of the night and after everyone crossed the finish line,a big demolition derby started at the end of the front straight!Even the track owner,who takes his racing very seriously couldn't help but get in on the action.This looks like it will be a huge success and I have a feeling there will be at least 5 more Slash trucks there next weekend.I really like the fact that everyone wants to win,but noone takes it too seriously.It's a nice change of atmosphere after running mod. truck class where it is very serious and cut-throat.It's also good to see that the guys who usually win nitro and mod. classes being completely out of control in the Slash class.All the top locals are getting in pile-ups and jumping off of the track or falling off the sides of jumps.I just don't know what could possibly be more fun than these trucks!

I know you're gonna read this Paul.I just want to warn you that there's more where that came from for next Saturday!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    good job. my slash ended up blowing out the spur gear yesterday. the truck is still showing incredible durability. raced against buggies yesterday and i had the big moments of huge air ending up as horrific wrecks. battery died in first heat race and second race was outclassed by 27t buggies. course i was roliing or flipping nearly every single turn.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Qualifier
    You da man , that was the best time ever with these trucks when this class first came up alot of guys where not impressed but after seeing them run and the fun we had there all taiking a different story now , I get you some day and have alot of fun till i do.
    Family Hobbies Raceway / Mels Shells

RC poster
    congrats, sounds like a good time was had by all, but since I've been racing mine all over for a few months all I'll suggest is that the "couldn't stop laughing the whole time" attitude will end soon enough as people get more serious about their racing and the basher mentality wears off.
    I've seen it, been there done that.

RC Qualifier
    haha, this just brought a big 'ol smile to my face thanks for sharing and congrats!

RC Qualifier
    i hope my local track starts a spec class, i dont think enough people around here own slashes though.
    Rustler VXL, all FLM and RPM!

Quote Originally Posted by SLASH-&-BURN
    congrats, sounds like a good time was had by all, but since I've been racing mine all over for a few months all I'll suggest is that the "couldn't stop laughing the whole time" attitude will end soon enough as people get more serious about their racing and the basher mentality wears off.
    I've seen it, been there done that.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing,but after talking to the fellow racers,everyone seems to be on the same page with the future of this class.Everyone agrees that the trucks are terribly slow and handle just as bad,yet we all agree that they should stay exactly the way they are.It's a chance for all of us to pull the dirty moves that would get you into a fist fight if it were any other class.So it looks like we will stay with the xl-5/Titan with 7 cell nimh setup.And since these things are so big,heavy,and extremely durable,it is just the thing we need to take away from some of the pressure we all have from racing our other classes where everything is strictly business.Winning is nice,but intentionally putting someone on their lid with no hard feelings is even better,right Paul? Heck,the highlight of my day was when one guy somehow got spun around in the opposite direction and I hit him head-on at full speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yammyboy123
    i hope my local track starts a spec class, i dont think enough people around here own slashes though.
    Just get a couple guys to go there with their Slash's.It's very addicting once you see how much fun they are.That's how it all started at our track.Two guys from Cali. showed up with them about a month ago and now there is a class which I'm sure will continue to grow week by week.The guys at our track are highly competitive and take their racing very seriously and the Slash somehow managed to catch their attention.I think the fact that we dump hundreds,sometimes thousands of dollars into our race vehicles,and the Slash costs a little over $200 for everything really helped get the class going also.With a price tag that small,I'll smash into anything with it

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    I was kinda thinking the same thing,but after talking to the fellow racers,everyone seems to be on the same page with the future of this class.Everyone agrees that the trucks are terribly slow and handle just as bad,yet we all agree that they should stay exactly the way they are.It's a chance for all of us to pull the dirty moves that would get you into a fist fight if it were any other class.So it looks like we will stay with the xl-5/Titan with 7 cell nimh setup.And since these things are so big,heavy,and extremely durable,it is just the thing we need to take away from some of the pressure we all have from racing our other classes where everything is strictly business.Winning is nice,but intentionally putting someone on their lid with no hard feelings is even better,right Paul? Heck,the highlight of my day was when one guy somehow got spun around in the opposite direction and I hit him head-on at full speed!
    I'm not trashing what you're doing or what you're hoping to do, I'm only suggesting that attitudes will change over time.

And honestly, as long as you keep the stock tires on them it really won't matter what else anybody does to their's as it won't matter. I've seen the 7-cell thing decrease motor life, but lipos being a great option as these massive beats can greatly benefit from going on a diet though it be no real performance advantage. I've done some alloy upgrading for durability sake, but it's no faster than it was out of the box.

The fun with these is the liberal rubbing they can handle, their durability, and the fact that as long as you don't allow tire mods that it doesn't matter if someone sticks the biggest BL system in one they still don't hook up any better.

RC Enthusiast
    Glad you and others are having fun racing the Slash.

I have a Slash, but there's no track around that races them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i can tell you. my mamba max powered slash is almost uncontrollable. slides around horribly on dirt. alot has to do with the fact that it is running so much power that when you get on the throttle hard causes the rear end to slide around and then spin the truck out. alot worse than with the stock system or even the 19t motor.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Malibu
    i can tell you. my mamba max powered slash is almost uncontrollable. slides around horribly on dirt. alot has to do with the fact that it is running so much power that when you get on the throttle hard causes the rear end to slide around and then spin the truck out. alot worse than with the stock system or even the 19t motor.
    that's why I put the slowest 13.5 system I could in my own, and I still have the power turned down

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    funny enough the truck isnt much faster than a 27t 2wd buggy.

RC Champion
    "They call it paradise I don't know why...
    You know what would be cool? A 2.4 hour endurance race. You would be allowed to change battery's and permitted to buy about $15 in parts or upgrades from the shop. Would be great fun and profitable. Rather like a limited mod class.
    Porsche wins 24 hours of Daytona for the 21st time

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Malibu
    funny enough the truck isnt much faster than a 27t 2wd buggy.
    why would it be ?

it would seem that the only thing intended to be faster than stock buggy class should be any modified and 4wd buggy classes

RC Qualifier
    Good Job Harry. Now come to DR this coming weekend where we will have at least 2 mains as I expect we will have over 15 entries in that class alone. Congrats on TQing and taking 2nd. It is a blast.
    Marbeth Racing

RC Qualifier
    Ya Harry put me on my roof a few times but i did get him once he pass my right before a jump , he let off alittle and i didnt we landed at the same time only i landed on top of his truck it was fun and cant wait till next week
    Family Hobbies Raceway / Mels Shells

Quote Originally Posted by phtaber
    Ya Harry put me on my roof a few times but i did get him once he pass my right before a jump , he let off alittle and i didnt we landed at the same time only i landed on top of his truck it was fun and cant wait till next week
    Yeah,I think you got me more than once though........at least I think it was you .Too many red trucks out there!

Quote Originally Posted by spikeitaudi
    Good Job Harry. Now come to DR this coming weekend where we will have at least 2 mains as I expect we will have over 15 entries in that class alone. Congrats on TQing and taking 2nd. It is a blast.
    I want to come out there.This weekend may not work out cuz we're supposed to have about 15-20 guys going to the new Thunderbolt Raceway around the corner from me.Gonna have a showdown with the go-karts .Do you guys race every weekend?

RC Qualifier
    Harry, keep doing what you are doing. We run open battery and stock truck at Dirt Runners. All but one are using NiMh's and one with LiPo. Weve run 5 times so far and have only one repeat winner. I must have at least 60 packs through my Titan and it is still going strong. Clean it and lube it regularly and it ill last. We started with 4, next there were 8, then 12, then 14. We have a total of 25 different Slash racers at our track now. Like Spikeit said, come up to Dirt Runners this coming weekend for our annual trophy race. 2 qualifiers on Saturday, a third on Sunday then the mains. Lots of giveaways, drawings, and total fun. ESPECIALLY in the Slash class. We at Dirt Runners share the same opinion as you guys in South Jersey do about this class. Total fun and here to stay!.
    MARBETH Racing

Do you guys have a link? I may not be able to do next weekend due to kart racing.I would like to come and race mod. truck and Slash classes.Also,just got my Revo roller,so when I get that built I'll be ready to race MT class as well

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    Do you guys have a link? I may not be able to do next weekend due to kart racing.I would like to come and race mod. truck and Slash classes.Also,just got my Revo roller,so when I get that built I'll be ready to race MT class as well

Here is our forum:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=215643

and here is the Dirtrunners club official site:

http://www.dirtrunners.com/main.html
    Marbeth Racing