RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.

Slash now comes with Slayer's big'n'little rims?

can anyone confirm this on the new batch of slashes that is going out? I'm going to save my tirade against big-n-little rims until I know if traxxas used them to desecrate one of the best received and most hyped about trucks in recent RC history
    Last edited by Slyp Dawg; 08-31-2008 at 08:20 AM.
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Champion
    Why keep dwelling on it?
    And why insist on confirmation? Didn't some one already say that a Traxxas tech support/rep on the phone told him just that?

If Traxxas said it, I don't think some one needs to go out and buy a truck to see it.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

Our track had its first official Slash race last night.They ordered 8 of them and all 8 were racing last night.I can assure you 100% that it has Slayer wheels.BTW,what is the big deal?I would have never noticed the difference if I didn't read about it here,nor do I care at all.The simple fact remains that whether they are Slash or Slayer wheels,they are harder than a rock,have terrible traction,and still use the shady front and rear offsets with hexes on both.Basically,the wheels are terrible whether they are smaller on the inside or not.Just run them and have fun.

RC Qualifier
    well, if traxxas establishes big-n-little as the standard wheel for a supposedly 2.2 TT, that's what most aftermarket companies are going to make. once we get softer compound tires from the likes of proline, if they are big-n-little, then the guys who run on really rough ground are going to be left out to dry because rough ground requires the tires to be able to deform, and if the outer sidewall can deform yet the inner sidewall can't, I can't imagine traction on the rough is going to be too good. I just feel like the whole simplify the numbering system is compromising one of the best received trucks in recent RC history. well, that, and I feel almost like traxxas is purposely compromising the product now just so they can make a quick buck later

RC Competitor
    I don't know why people are defending Traxxas on this. Traxxas MADE A MISTAKE. They chose to save some $$ at the expense of customer satisfaction (very un-Traxxas-like). No one wants these wheels. They deserve all the flak they're getting.

RC Qualifier
    I agree 100% with ya on that rcdriver.

RC Champion
    Oh stop. You know you're going to buy aftermarket wheels just like the rest of every body else.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC Champion
    I donīt want to spend $$$$ on a set of Slash 2.2" wheels and get a 2.2/2.8" wheel
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    exactly, once my originals wear out. I've got one of the first-batch slashes taht has the normal rims. the thing is, if traxxas establishes this as the standard, the aftermarket wheels are going to be big-n-little as well, with exception of the CAC beadlocks

RC Champion
    There are lots more tires for true 2.2" wheels
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    true, true. I'm more concerned with the aftermarket tires that are coming out for the slash (aka 1.7" wide, about 4.3" tall, 2.2 rims) that will likely have scale tread patterns. if those end up being 2.2-n-3.0, we'll be stuck with the wider tires, and seeing a TT on a 18-20" wide tire is not likely to happen. I want to have scale tire choices that use a rim that is 2.2 all the way across. @ those who are defending traxxas on this, boo hiss me for wanting scale all you want, not everyone wants a rim that looks scale on one side but could quality as a 1:10 scale dub rim on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
    There are lots more tires for true 2.2" wheels
    Agreed.But since the Slash has become such a hit in the R/C community,I'm pretty sure that the tire manufacturers will make whatever tires the Slash calls for.Or make aftermarket 2.2 wheels for the Slash.By the sounds of it,Pro-Line would have a gold mine if they did that.(As if they don't have a gold mine already)

RC Champion
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    Not to fan the flames higher, but has anyone actually taken a good look & feel of the Slayer-type whlle/tire combo? I did, and the inside rim is very flexible and will deform on big impacts. Unless we start hearing of wheels cracking on those same impacts the whole issue is really moot. Short sidewall pus flexible rim basically equals tall sidewall and stiff rim...

All this talk means nothing until a real top-quality racer does back-to-back hot laps using both setups and reports their findings.

(BTW-this is just my humble opinion, being an owner of the "old" style Slash)
    Dirk
    Slash,#3905 E-Maxx,Rustler,Stampede,9 more

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm baffled by why people even care so much. If it keeps the price down it's fine with me. All you whiners are just looking for something to whine about I guess.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    I'm baffled by why people even care so much. If it keeps the price down it's fine with me. All you whiners are just looking for something to whine about I guess.
    I didn't want to come out and say it,but that's about what I'm getting out of it. I could care less about the rim dimensions.Just give me some tires that are made from a decent compound.I don't care if they are mounted on wooden wagon wheels as long as they can grip on some kind of offroad surface.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-31-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Traxxas Bashing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't get it either. If you are concerned about scale looks, the slash is not for you any how. I upgraded both of my slashes to different wheels and tires shortly after purchase so I could get better traction.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    you're getting me wrong. I love my slash. it's I do believe the funnest rig I've ever driven to date (including laying down the whoop on some competition TCs in a parkinglot race with my RS4 Rally in rally spec). I'm not looking for something to whine about, but I am dissatisfied with traxxas's decision to go big-n-little (a concept that imho shouldn't really be in RC to begin with. HPI vintage wheels are ok because the bead surfaces on the rim are the same diameter, it's just a little flap of rubber that makes it look like it has more sidewall than it really does) on one of their best received trucks. I am concerned with scale looks as well as performance and the Slash does a really good job of blending the two, but I like tire choices and more than that I like tires that are something approaching a standard size (2.2 gets the nod for this rig, although some of RC4WD's 1.9 tires would look pretty spiffy on this, no?), which rules out big-n-little wheels even if the aftermarket is stupid enough to jump on them rather than the tried/true 2.2 wheel

RC Competitor
    I love my slash and hate my slayer. If the "new tires" ruin the handling of the slash when I need replacements I will not be happy. Also I have a feeling that the performance is going to drop off with the "new" wheels. Worn out rottten foam can kill the hadling of a truck, short sideswalls can have the same affect I would think.
    slash,b4,t4,xxnt,mgt,sliders,boats,planes,u nam it